Jump to content
Goo Punch

Drop a line from a TV show/film that really struck you

Recommended Posts

"A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone." - Larry David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“That makes me as happy as a heifer in a patch of red clover.” - Jed Clampett

 

No idea why that’s stuck with me for 30+ years but I say it all the time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lt. Aldo Raine : Yeah, they made that deal, but they don't give a fuck about him. They need you.

Col. Hans Landa : You'll be shot for this!

Lt. Aldo Raine : Nah, I don't think so. More like chewed out. I've been chewed out before.

 

I don't know why but I really like that line and try to use it often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 11:07 PM, Augustus said:

"Terrible thing, to live in fear."

-Shawshank.

 

Every time I hear that line in Shawshank, I think of this line Roy Batty line in Blade Runner:

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn’t it?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blade Runner is just full of memorable lines for me ...

"It's too bad she won't live ... but then again, who does?"

“How can it not know what it is?” 

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

This whole scene is loaded:

From Blade Runner 2049:

"Come on. Get up. Do your fucking job."

"He named you. You must be special."

"Every leap of civilization was built off the back of a disposable workforce."

K: "Is he real?"
Deckard: "I don’t know. Ask him."

"He liked to work alone. So did I. So we worked together to keep it that way"

"You tiny thing ... You're so sure. Because he told you. Because we never lie. I'm gonna tell Mr. Wallace you tried to shoot me first, so I had to kill you."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's in the box? -Seven

You see a lot doctor.  Why don't you turn that highpowered perception toward yourself and tell us what you see...  - SOTL

Son we live in a world that has walls...-AFGM

Mel, kiss my grits. - Flo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? Fuck you, pay me. Place got hit by lightning, huh? Fuck you, pay me.

Goodfellas or Mack Brown Texas Football

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, baboso said:

Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? Fuck you, pay me. Place got hit by lightning, huh? Fuck you, pay me.

Goodfellas or Mack Brown Texas Football

That's where my inspiration came from.  

Also---to Blade Runner 2049, my favorite line from that film was from Robin Penn.  Every other Hollywood movie has the same line (with different generic products or stores or activities placed in the middle of it, even in futuristic films).  It's always something like, "Word of this can't get out.  The people aren't ready for it yet.  They just wanna watch TV/shop at Wal-Mart/have sex with their robots/live in ignorant bliss."  Something like that.  But this script lays out such a great 4-word twist on that tired trope:

"This breaks the world."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Lt. Aldo Raine : Yeah, they made that deal, but they don't give a fuck about him. They need you.

Col. Hans Landa : You'll be shot for this!

Lt. Aldo Raine : Nah, I don't think so. More like chewed out. I've been chewed out before.

 

I don't know why but I really like that line and try to use it often.

haha, same. also, if ever get a chance , i tru to use, "is that the kind of man you need? the loquacious type?" (replace "loquacious" with whatever descriptor was being used).

Edited by Goo Punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pontius Pilate: What is truth, Claudia? Do you hear it, recognize it when it is spoken?
Claudia Procles: Yes, I do. Don't you?
Pontius Pilate: How? Can you tell me?
Claudia Procles: If you will not hear the truth, no one can tell you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wire.

"Cops don't like to get wet." - Prop Joe to Stringer who's annoyed at being asked to meet out in the rain. 

I think of that every time I hop in the HOV when it's pouring. #lifelessons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 6:51 AM, DallasGatr said:

“How do you write women so well?”

“I think of a man and take away reason and accountability.”

Or...

"What if this is as good as it gets?" to a room full of people waiting to see a psychiatrist. 

Doesn't apply to me (yet) but holy shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you look at someone through rose colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think big, think positive, never show any sign of weakness. Always go for the throat. Buy low, sell high. Fear? That's the other guy's problem. Nothing you have ever experienced will prepare you for the unlimited carnage you are about to witness. Superbowl, World Series - they don't know what pressure is. In this building, it's either kill or be killed. You make no friends in the pits and you take no prisoners. One moment you're up half a mil in soybeans and the next, boom, your kids don't go to college and they've repossessed your Bentley. Are you with me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spacer.png

“Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get busy living or get busy dying.  God damn right..

And from It's a Wonderful Life   George Bailey talking with Clarence.

I know one way you can help me.  You don't happen to have 8000 bucks on you?  Clarence replies  We don't use money in heaven.  Bailey retorts with... well it comes in real handy down here bud!

And lastly without the name  of the movie...  Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Edited by Bevo&Pevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

last scene in the series of Quantum Leap.

-And Dr Sam Beckett.... never returned home   (kind of a depressing ending for a good show)

 

What are you Prepared to do about it?-  Untouchables.     spoken by a dying Irishman who has given his all to clean up the town. 

 

would you say I have a plethora of Pinatas?      never knew the word before that film, Its been ingrained since as part of my go to lexicon.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert Duvall in Secondhand Lions.  For some reason I thought of it yesterday

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two world wars, and countless smaller ones on three continents. I've led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks. I've seen the headwaters of the Nile and tribes of natives no white men had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, killed many men, and loved only one woman with a passion a flea like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Robert Duvall in Secondhand Lions.  For some reason I thought of it yesterday

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two world wars, and countless smaller ones on three continents. I've led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks. I've seen the headwaters of the Nile and tribes of natives no white men had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, killed many men, and loved only one woman with a passion a flea like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am."

Great clean movie for kids and adults.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't terribly profound, but in one of the flashbacks on the Sopranos Tony's dad tells him never to gamble and that's great advice (that Tony doesn't take and negatively effect a lot of lives on the show) that i still think about whenever i hear about gambling and why i don't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m 30 years older than you. I’ve had my back broke once and my hip twice. On my worst day I could beat the hell out of you.

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there's a terrific movie called "nobody's fool" that most people forget even happened (1994, an insane year for movies).  there are a ton of great lines, because robert benton is awesome (and from texas).  anyhow, paul newman walks into bruce willis' office...

willis - i heard the judge threw you and that two-bit lawsuit out of court.

newman - hope it didn't cost you more than you owe me.

willis - aww, don't be bitter, sully.  america's a great place.  where else could a cripple, and a drunk, one-legged lawyer even get to talk to a judge?

 

if you haven't seen the movie, do yourself a favor...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


“There's two bulls standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, let's say we run down there and fuck one of them cows". The older one says: "No son. Lets walk down and fuck 'em all.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HouTex said:

I’m 30 years older than you. I’ve had my back broke once and my hip twice. On my worst day I could beat the hell out of you.

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
 

I think Casablanca is cheating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

there's a terrific movie called "nobody's fool" that most people forget even happened (1994, an insane year for movies).  there are a ton of great lines, because robert benton is awesome (and from texas).  anyhow, paul newman walks into bruce willis' office...

willis - i heard the judge threw you and that two-bit lawsuit out of court.

newman - hope it didn't cost you more than you owe me.

willis - aww, don't be bitter, sully.  america's a great place.  where else could a cripple, and a drunk, one-legged lawyer even get to talk to a judge?

 

if you haven't seen the movie, do yourself a favor...

Very much agree. Plus Melanie Griffith. “What’s the matter, Grandpa??”  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleopatra: Kneel.

Antony (outraged): What!?

Cleopatra: On. Your. Knees!

Antony: You dare ask a proconsul of Rome to . . . 

Cleopatra: I asked it of Julius Caesar.  I demand it of you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Let History never forget the name...”Enterprise.” Jean Luc Picard, from the episode “Yesterday’s Enterprise.”

 

“Earn This.” Captain MIller, in “Saving Private Ryan.”

 

“Peggy, listen to me. This never happened. It will SHOCK you how much it never happened.” Don Draper talking to Peggy in the mental hospital. It’s the scene that got me totally hooked on Mad Men.

 

“I know now why you cry, but it is something I can never do.” Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator 2.

 

“My name’s Wyatt Earp. IT ALL ENDS NOW!!!” From Kevin Costner’s depiction of the man.

 

“You tell ‘em I’m comin’! And Hell’s comin’ with me, you hear?! HELL’S...COMMIN’...WITH ME!!!” From Kurt Russel’s depiction of the mam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Parliament said:

“Peggy, listen to me. This never happened. It will SHOCK you how much it never happened.” Don Draper talking to Peggy in the mental hospital. It’s the scene that got me totally hooked on Mad Men.

Same here. I think about this line all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Same here. I think about this line all the time. 

Yo, Tambien.  Our entire species has been designed by nature to block out the bad in the past and to yearn for the good from back then as well, it's critical to our evolution.  But it took two lines from Mad Men to codify it.  No poet, no author, no artist in 100,000 years ever did it.  But the writers of Mad Men did it twice.  

The one referenced above and this one: 

 "nostalgia" literally means "the pain from an old wound." It's a twinge in your heart, far more powerful than memory alone.  It takes us to a place where we ache to go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lobo said:

 "nostalgia" literally means "the pain from an old wound." It's a twinge in your heart, far more powerful than memory alone.  It takes us to a place where we ache to go

That may be the best scene in the entire series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...