Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't understand that strategy. It's like Herman intentionally losing football games. "You want to lose like this, but even more? Then you better not fire me."

You don't understand how images of black people rioting and getting in skirmishes with white people can energize his base?

The Tea Party just staged that salon thing in Dallas because they were concerned about voter apathy. Without these social/cultural fights the Republican Party have nothing. With the economy torched, there's no doubt in my mind Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller are advising him that his best path to victory is ignite racial divisions. 

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 2

I will say talking to my farming clients today is a good reminder how casually racist a lot of the folks are. Granted none of the people saying racist stuffed surprised me in the least, but still. It's kind of amazing that people whose closet actual interactions with any urban minority is cheering them on for the college football team of their choice are able to know so much about their experiences and how they should be reacting to things. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I will say talking to my farming clients today is a good reminder how casually racist a lot of the folks are. Granted none of the people saying racist stuffed surprised me in the least, but still. It's kind of amazing that people whose closet actual interactions with any urban minority is cheering them on for the college football team of their choice are able to know so much about their experiences and how they should be reacting to things. 

I really hope you challenged them or else all of this is for naught. 

12 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

You don't understand how images of black people rioting and getting in skirmishes with white people can energize his base?

The Tea Party just staged that salon thing in Dallas because they were concerned about voter apathy. Without these social/cultural fights the Republican Party have nothing. With the economy torched, there's no doubt in my mind Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller are advising him that his best path to victory is ignite racial divisions. 

I don't think firing up his base is going to win him the election. The country burning during a pandemic should be, should be, a net negative for a sitting potus. 

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't think firing up his base is going to win him the election. The country burning during a pandemic should be, should be, a net negative for a sitting potus. 

Exactly. I don’t know how Trump can credibly sell voters on the idea he can fix this, when it all went to shit on his watch

If I didn't know better, I could swear that Brisket wrote this.  

And Brisket is right on the money.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-is-out-of-control-and-capable-of-anything?ref=scroll

Naively, I always thought that even Donald Trump would stop short of actually inciting violence. I mean, he’s the president of the United States. Imagine being the president: waking up in the White House, going to work in the Oval Office, being surrounded by all those portraits, all that history, all that grandeur. This, Mr. President, is where Lincoln wrote his second inaugural address. This, sir, is where Franklin Roosevelt wrote the declaration of war on Japan. And on and on.

It would humble a normal person. Impose a certain dignity on you. But to Trump, none of it means anything. It’s not about him, so it’s useless to him. History means nothing to him, and the future means even less. Presidents—all presidents, even ones I didn’t like—think about the office, the future implications of their actions, the future of our institutions. 

Not Trump. He sits in the White House, which belongs to the people of the United States, and tweets out poison with no thought about any of this. I remember during the Lewinsky scandal, conservatives used to scream about how Bill Clinton sullied “our house.” Are you kidding me? Using the White House as a love nest is almost cute compared to how Trump soils the place on an hourly basis.

And after that looting/shooting tweet, it’s obvious that he will do and say literally anything to advance himself. Anything. He sort of half-apologized for that one, but he’s been tweeting more calls for violence, supposedly to restore order, ever since. The big worry I’ve had in the back of my mind since Trump took over the GOP back in 2016 and we started seeing those rallies is that Trump would literally raise a private army. Many of his fervent backers own guns, and sometimes stockpiles of them. All it would take is a suggestion from Trump, in that on-the-one-hand-on-the-other noncommittal way of his: “I don’t know, if the police can’t handle it, maybe armed citizens should form their own patrols. Maybe they shouldn’t. But maybe they should, who knows? Thank you!”

Spoiler

That would be fascism, plain and simple. I used to think, or hope anyway, that Trump wouldn’t encourage that. And maybe he won’t. But after this past week, can anyone be confident that he wouldn’t?

He’ll spend the campaign vomiting out lies about how the “Democrat” Party is going to steal the election. He’ll spew out racist lies about voter fraud. Fox News will find one example of some small thing that they can make look suspicious and dishonestly blow into a scandal. Armed posses in black neighborhoods on Election Day—not an impossibility at all. The whole country will become 1950s Mississippi, if that’s what Trump thinks he needs to win.

And then if he loses, imagine what might happen. I shudder to think, and I don’t even have to spell it out. I know this is all hypothetical, and I don’t want to sound alarmist, but at the same time, being alarmist is less dangerous than being naive. We better think about these things. Trump is out of control. He’s capable of anything.

He is so morally unfit to be president. He’s morally unfit to be anything. If he were president of a bank, he’d have been fired ages ago. School principal—fired. Partner of a law firm—fired. Hell, chief mechanic at an auto body shop, head of a plumbing business, chief custodian at an office building—fired. Any human being with any measure of professional responsibility spitting out that many lies, that much hate, that much open racism, would be fired from his job, and it wouldn’t even be a close call.

And yet, the president of the effing United States, the most important job in the country, in the world, keeps his job. Why is this? Because only two groups of people can fire him. One is Congress. Well, we tried that, and we know how that worked out. Trump obviously tried to shake down Ukraine and invite foreign interference in the election. Republicans didn’t care. 

No—it was even worse than not caring. They celebrated it, most of them. They loved it. My old friend Frank Wilkinson of Bloomberg tweeted over the weekend: “All but one GOP Senator voted to keep a sick, vicious, morally degenerate thug in the White House. They could have had Mike Pence. This is what they want.”

This is what they want. I wonder what they’d say if we could ask them whether they really think Trump is morally fit for office. Of course, we can’t ask them, because by and large they only go on Fox, where they won’t be asked, and for the time being there aren’t any reporters on Capitol Hill. The ability to hide from the press is not some happy accident, by the way—it’s by design, and it’s one more little bullet in democracy’s heart.

But if we could ask them, and they were being honest, what would they say? You’d have to think most of them would admit, as many do when their name isn’t attached to the quote, that he’s not morally fit for office, in which case they are chickenshit moral cowards who are witting accomplices in letting this country’s democratic institutions be stomped to death by a conscience-less madman. But some of them presumably think Trump is morally fit, in which case they’re fascists at heart, too.

Is it really worth it to them? The judges and the tax cuts, really? For this racist thug, and intellectual idiot and liar and cheater and woman abuser? My friend Hussein Ibish tweeted something jokey about the seven deadly sins over the weekend. It was the first time in years I’d given them any thought. They are greed, gluttony, sloth, wrath, envy, pride, and lust. The president of the United States of America embodies all seven.

And now he is a president who openly incites violence against American citizens. This is worth it, Mitch McConnell? Do you have any shame at all? How bad does it have to get? If it turns out that Trump kills democracy, it’ll be McConnell who handed him the gun.

The other group of people who can fire Trump is us—the voters. A free and fair election used to be a given in this country, once everyone had the right to vote: from about 1968 up through 2016 (asterisk for 2000). Now, because of Trump, and Bill Barr and the Republican Party, an unfair and unfree election is a given. We know Trump will cheat. We know he’ll try to steal it if he doesn’t win. We know he won’t accept a negative result. We assume the GOP will be right there with him. And we must fear, and prepare for, violence, violence that will have been egged on by the president.

Trumps wants mayhem and chaos and high racial tensions because they induce fear, and fear makes people more conservative politically. He wants an electorate trembling in fear and as polarized as he can make it. And it has a chance of working.

But only a chance. He is not George W. Bush after 9/11. Bush, though he and Karl Rove exploited fear of terrorism and he started an immoral war, at least acted like a president is supposed to act and was doing what he genuinely thought was the right thing for the country. Trump only does what’s right for Trump. The boogaloo caucus will love his incitements. But I’m betting swing voters are being turned off by this in a big way. And he’s going to get a lot worse than this. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

He is letting shit burn in hopes that the images from the protests scare enough white people to vote for him. Let's see if it works but that's 100% the strategy. 

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works.

9 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

If I didn't know better, I could swear that Brisket wrote this.  

And Brisket is right on the money.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-is-out-of-control-and-capable-of-anything?ref=scroll

Reveal hidden contents

That would be fascism, plain and simple. I used to think, or hope anyway, that Trump wouldn’t encourage that. And maybe he won’t. But after this past week, can anyone be confident that he wouldn’t?

He’ll spend the campaign vomiting out lies about how the “Democrat” Party is going to steal the election. He’ll spew out racist lies about voter fraud. Fox News will find one example of some small thing that they can make look suspicious and dishonestly blow into a scandal. Armed posses in black neighborhoods on Election Day—not an impossibility at all. The whole country will become 1950s Mississippi, if that’s what Trump thinks he needs to win.

And then if he loses, imagine what might happen. I shudder to think, and I don’t even have to spell it out. I know this is all hypothetical, and I don’t want to sound alarmist, but at the same time, being alarmist is less dangerous than being naive. We better think about these things. Trump is out of control. He’s capable of anything.

He is so morally unfit to be president. He’s morally unfit to be anything. If he were president of a bank, he’d have been fired ages ago. School principal—fired. Partner of a law firm—fired. Hell, chief mechanic at an auto body shop, head of a plumbing business, chief custodian at an office building—fired. Any human being with any measure of professional responsibility spitting out that many lies, that much hate, that much open racism, would be fired from his job, and it wouldn’t even be a close call.

And yet, the president of the effing United States, the most important job in the country, in the world, keeps his job. Why is this? Because only two groups of people can fire him. One is Congress. Well, we tried that, and we know how that worked out. Trump obviously tried to shake down Ukraine and invite foreign interference in the election. Republicans didn’t care. 

No—it was even worse than not caring. They celebrated it, most of them. They loved it. My old friend Frank Wilkinson of Bloomberg tweeted over the weekend: “All but one GOP Senator voted to keep a sick, vicious, morally degenerate thug in the White House. They could have had Mike Pence. This is what they want.”

This is what they want. I wonder what they’d say if we could ask them whether they really think Trump is morally fit for office. Of course, we can’t ask them, because by and large they only go on Fox, where they won’t be asked, and for the time being there aren’t any reporters on Capitol Hill. The ability to hide from the press is not some happy accident, by the way—it’s by design, and it’s one more little bullet in democracy’s heart.

But if we could ask them, and they were being honest, what would they say? You’d have to think most of them would admit, as many do when their name isn’t attached to the quote, that he’s not morally fit for office, in which case they are chickenshit moral cowards who are witting accomplices in letting this country’s democratic institutions be stomped to death by a conscience-less madman. But some of them presumably think Trump is morally fit, in which case they’re fascists at heart, too.

Is it really worth it to them? The judges and the tax cuts, really? For this racist thug, and intellectual idiot and liar and cheater and woman abuser? My friend Hussein Ibish tweeted something jokey about the seven deadly sins over the weekend. It was the first time in years I’d given them any thought. They are greed, gluttony, sloth, wrath, envy, pride, and lust. The president of the United States of America embodies all seven.

And now he is a president who openly incites violence against American citizens. This is worth it, Mitch McConnell? Do you have any shame at all? How bad does it have to get? If it turns out that Trump kills democracy, it’ll be McConnell who handed him the gun.

The other group of people who can fire Trump is us—the voters. A free and fair election used to be a given in this country, once everyone had the right to vote: from about 1968 up through 2016 (asterisk for 2000). Now, because of Trump, and Bill Barr and the Republican Party, an unfair and unfree election is a given. We know Trump will cheat. We know he’ll try to steal it if he doesn’t win. We know he won’t accept a negative result. We assume the GOP will be right there with him. And we must fear, and prepare for, violence, violence that will have been egged on by the president.

Trumps wants mayhem and chaos and high racial tensions because they induce fear, and fear makes people more conservative politically. He wants an electorate trembling in fear and as polarized as he can make it. And it has a chance of working.

But only a chance. He is not George W. Bush after 9/11. Bush, though he and Karl Rove exploited fear of terrorism and he started an immoral war, at least acted like a president is supposed to act and was doing what he genuinely thought was the right thing for the country. Trump only does what’s right for Trump. The boogaloo caucus will love his incitements. But I’m betting swing voters are being turned off by this in a big way. And he’s going to get a lot worse than this. 

Stop short of inciting violence? He was inciting violence on the campaign trail and promising to pay the legal bills of his followers who engaged in it. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Exactly. I don’t know how Trump can credibly sell voters on the idea he can fix this, when it all went to shit on his watch

"I alone can fix this."

[country is flushed down the toilet with virus, depression, unemployment, and cities burning in protest]

"I take no responsibility."

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It's not about convincing anyone.  It's about scaring people (the olds, particularly, but also the rural and casually racist) to get to the polls.  No one is on the fence between Trump and Biden.  It's all about turnout.  

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He's talking about appointing shit-heads to the Supreme Court.

Oh...thanks. I read it as him saying there's a secret court for flag burning or something. Wouldn't put it past him. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

25 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

It's not about convincing anyone.  It's about scaring people (the olds, particularly, but also the rural and casually racist) to get to the polls.  No one is on the fence between Trump and Biden.  It's all about turnout.  

Yeah, but all the people who are outraged by these protests were already voting for Trump anyway.  I get that letting it burn is their strategy, but it seems stupid.  They already own the "rural and casually racist" blocs.

I'm hoping it goes the other way and the police response (tasing and roughing up that kid in Atl, attacking journalists, shooting rubber bullets at girls who aren't doing anything but chanting, etc) combined with the White House's utter silence lights a fire under the millennials.  If they all turn out to vote, Trump is finished.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

He is letting shit burn in hopes that the images from the protests scare enough white people to vote for him. Let's see if it works but that's 100% the strategy. 

You might be giving him too much credit, I don’t think he’s smart enough to think strategically.  If he has a strategy, I think you nailed it,  although I get the feeling he’s just firing from the hip and killing everything he can.

28 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Flag burning?

now that’s a blast from the past.

I've closely watched about 10 hours of coverage of the protests/looting/whatever in the past 48 hours.  Not once have I seen a flag burning.

7 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

You might be giving him too much credit, I don’t think he’s smart enough to think strategically.  If he has a strategy, I think you nailed it,  although I get the feeling he’s just firing from the hip and killing everything he can.

It's not him strategizing. It's Bannon. There's a reason a lot of the far right movements in Europe are hiring him as an advisor. Bannon has his hands all over this.

Let’s review the last page.  Russia Today report on a proposed Russian law that would give 10 years to anyone encouraging protests.   Trump reportedly has a call with Putin.   Trump on call with governors talks about locking up protesters for 10 years.

Yup, sounds about right.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

I've closely watched about 10 hours of coverage of the protests/looting/whatever in the past 48 hours.  Not once have I seen a flag burning.

Even if there were tons of flag burning (there isn't), over 100k Covid deaths, 40 M unemployed, and civil unrest.  Aren't there some actual fucking issues these governors and trump have to reckon with?

25 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

It's not him strategizing. It's Bannon. There's a reason a lot of the far right movements in Europe are hiring him as an advisor. Bannon has his hands all over this.

I haven't heard anything about Bannon being involved with this administration in quite awhile. I've heard he's moved on to other things. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

32 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

The only flags I've seen burned are the flags of police tyranny (Thin blue line). 

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Why does Trump hate freedom?

Because freedom allows people to do things that inconvenience Trump, such as interfering with his scams or challenging his narcissistic ego. He is a toddler who not only believes the world revolves around him but is neurologically incapable of understanding that other human beings have feelings and desires too. So his solution whenever he is personally inconvenienced is to prohibit any behavior that inconveniences him. 

Our president is essentially that spoiled alien child Ron Howard’s weird-looking brother played on the old Star Trek series. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2020 at 9:35 AM, Message Board User said:

I'm skeptical of any poll taken before this weekend, but this should make Trump blow a gasket.

Dull Donny ain't the sharpest tool in the shed.