RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

2 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Ding. ding. ding. We have a winner.

PIC was flying special VFR with known IFR conditions surrounding the airspace he was transitioning through.

Unfortunately he flew into IMC conditions (with terrain) where there was no room for error or slow decision making (get on instruments and get altitude to clear obstructions). Most likely while trying to transition (if even time) to instrument flying, vertigo took hold. This, due to the affect on the inner ear, movements/corrections or what thought to be corrections, can cause great deviations in attitude and altitude fluctuations which could be the deviations shown in the graphs and the findings out now about airspeed and climb/descent readings.

At work at few years ago we reviewed a medical EMS crew that went into IMC conditions. A computer simulation was made of their flight and published for other carriers. Had I not viewed the recreation of their flight, I wouldn't have believed the altitude, attitude, and flight path that the crew went through while the pilot was trying to get control of his own equilibrium and being able to eventually interpret correctly the instrument readings. Then adjust to them to gain control of the aircraft.  The graph/charting simulation went on for minutes and the helo did everything but loops or barrel rolls. It almost flew upside down more than once. It was nauseating and very uncomfortable to watch. The only thing that saved the crew was that they had good altitude and very open terrain (Iowa or Indiana corn fields if my memory serves me right) when they flew into those IMC conditions.

Makes me shudder.  So was the pilot silently freaking out in his head?  Was he noticeably freaking out and panicking the passengers? I just pray they were all oblivious until the last second.  

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I got roped into coaching my daughter's team when she was about 8, and even though she was the worst basketball player I've ever seen, and even though there wasn't a single gotdam time they ran my awesome inbounds play correctly in a game all season even though we practiced it over and over every practice, I just loved every one of those girls and had a ton of fun with them.  

If her name is Jacqueline or some variant thereof, well this would be just about perfect.

Are fog reports precise enough to let you know the relative condition of your entire flight path before you leave? I imagine in areas along the coast with hills/mountains, the conditions can change quickly.  I remember driving towards the California coast in clear skies, as I went over some hills down toward the ocean a few miles away, I drove into a cloud.

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Are fog reports precise enough to let you know the relative condition of your entire flight path before you leave? I imagine in areas along the coast with hills/mountains, the conditions can change quickly.  I remember driving towards the California coast in clear skies, as I went over some hills down toward the ocean a few miles away, I drove into a cloud.

Specifically  where they crashed, it was a small canyon that could easily trap fog in an isolated area.  I’m sure that type of density was unexpected.

You actually should never make a big decision like a brand change while emotions are still high. There is nothing wrong with them changing their logo but there’s zero need to decide today. You can just as easily honor Kobe with that next season or 5 years from now.

you also also argue that waiting until all his daughters are old enough to appreciate the decision, is also a nice gesture.

but if enough big voices start asking the nba to decide now, they might have to listen to avoid criticism.  And the Jerry west logo ain’t some decree from God. It’s just a logo. 

30 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

The talk about taking West off the logo and replacing him with Bryant is comical.

The logo is the logo.   Just leave that piece alone.  Jeez. 

22 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

It will happen...so just prepare yourself

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we modified the Gregorian calendar so that subsequent years shall be known as AK (anno Kobe). Goddamn is the nonstop media coverage a beating.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we modified the Gregorian calendar so that subsequent years shall be known as AK (anno Kobe). Goddamn is the nonstop media coverage a beating.

I heard the suggestion by some media talking head that the Rookie of the Year award be named after his daughter. Absurd. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

The talk about taking West off the logo and replacing him with Bryant is comical.

I hate that it was ever even made public that West was used for the logo.   People constantly talk about needing to replace it with another player. 

16 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

If Jerry West wants the logo changed, it will be.  And based on his interview, there's a very high chance he'll be the one leading the change.

That changes things a little but I don't think it should be any player at all.

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

I heard the suggestion by some media talking head that the Rookie of the Year award be named after his daughter. Absurd. 

Yeah there is a "petition" going around now to put her # in the rafters at Staples with Kobe's.     I get people grieving and doing emotional stuff but that's too much for me.

For the people that will complain about any logo change (today, tomorrow next year, 20 years) chill out.  It doesn't matter, and change is good.  If they want to alter the logo every year like the Madden cover, so what. There are other things more important than life to get riled up about.  Jerry West had a good run at the logo, and giving someone else the honor for a while doesn't hurt anyone.

I still don't think they should make that decision this week but human nature goes against logic.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Uh, Dude, "modified" is not the preferred nomenclature.

"Re-imagined", please.

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

People get emotional and overreact to deaths like these. Change the logo of the sport only because he died? Lmao. Never going to happen and the NBA would be a clown show if they did. What if Michael Jordan dies next week? Going to want to change it again?

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

For the people that will complain about any logo change (today, tomorrow next year, 20 years) chill out.  It doesn't matter, and change is good.  If they want to alter the logo every year like the Madden cover, so what. There are other things more important than life to get riled up about.  Jerry West had a good run at the logo, and giving someone else the honor for a while doesn't hurt anyone.

I still don't think they should make that decision this week but human nature goes against logic.

Changing the logo is not the issue. It's that not one person ever thought about changing it to Kobe. But now that he died, they want to do it. Same as Cuban rushing to retire #24 for a guy who never even suited up for his franchise and a slap in the face to one of the Mavs greats who actually did wear #24. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, d2o said:

I hate that it was ever even made public that West was used for the logo.   People constantly talk about needing to replace it with another player. 

I never heard about any "need" to change the logo with another player. Why would that be necessary? And although it was modeled after Jerry West, I thought it was never meant to be specifically him but just a representation of a basketball player. He's just dribbling, not doing anything unique. It's not like the Dirk silouette which is specifically unique to him.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I never heard about any "need" to change the logo with another player. Why would that be necessary? And although it was modeled after Jerry West, I thought it was never meant to be specifically him but just a representation of a basketball player. He's just dribbling, not doing anything unique. It's not like the Dirk silouette which is specifically unique to him.

There have been plenty of people who have wanted to change it to MJ or others.   And to your second point, that is all the more reason it should have never been made public that it was West.

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

There have been plenty of people who have wanted to change it to MJ or others.   And to your second point, that is all the more reason it should have never been made public that it was West.

All I'm sure of is if the people that want it changed to Kobe don't get their way, at least some of them will make it about race.