Joe Biden Veepstakes 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And now for the slut shaming of Kamala Harris.

It’s just gonna hurt them even more with the women vote if they do. 

is Trump really going to attack Kamala for being tough on crime?  Give me a break. Not after his law and order schtick. The “ you must pick black people” are appeased. This should slightly help turnout in Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Michigan where it’s needed.

I think it’s a good pick.

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

There was really no other realistic choice

This is sooooooooo wrong.

I think that has been a real value of Biden announcing months ago that he would pick a woman.  I mean, I knew vaguely who all of these people are.  I knew that Whitmer is governor of Michigan and that Duckworth is a senator from Illinois and, by the way, is a veteran who was critically wounded in combat.  But I never sat down and considered just how many women there are who are fully capable of being president today.

Duckworth, Whitmer, Warren--all are perfectly capable of being president today.  And then there are some who were only somewhat considered--Lujan Grisham of New Mexico or Raimondo of Rhode Island or Keisha Lance Bottoms of Atlanta--who are also very capable of being president.  Any of them would've been good choices.

And I think all of that has somewhat normalized the idea that (1) there's nothing particularly novel about women holding high office and (2) there are a lot of women who are qualified to be president.  

It is highly likely that the 47th President of the United States will be a woman.  Harris now has the inside track for that, but it might not be her.  But regardless of who it is--this search has been very valuable in boosting that inevitable campaign.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think that has been a real value of Biden announcing months ago that he would pick a woman.  I mean, I knew vaguely who all of these people are.  I knew that Whitmer is governor of Michigan and that Duckworth is a senator from Illinois and, by the way, is a veteran who was critically wounded in combat.  But I never sat down and considered just how many women there are who are fully capable of being president today.

Duckworth, Whitmer, Warren--all are perfectly capable of being president today.  And then there are some who were only somewhat considered--Lujan Grisham of New Mexico or Raimondo of Rhode Island or Keisha Lance Bottoms of Atlanta--who are also very capable of being president.  Any of them would've been good choices.

And I think all of that has somewhat normalized the idea that (1) there's nothing particularly novel about women holding high office and (2) there are a lot of women who are qualified to be president.  

It is highly likely that the 47th President of the United States will be a woman.  Harris now has the inside track for that, but it might not be her.  But regardless of who it is--this search has been very valuable in boosting that inevitable campaign.

do you think this sets up a Haley vs Harris 2024 showdown?

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

Uh, not sure how that any of this, which I agree with by the way, has anything to do with my post you quoted?

At this juncture, Kamala Harris was the only realistic option for Joe Biden's running mate. She ticked all the boxes needed and no one else did.

18 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

do you think this sets up a Haley vs Harris 2024 showdown?

Ha--do you think there's any chance the Trumpublicans nominate a woman?

It'll be Harris vs. Trump.  Because there is no chance (1) he won't run, and (2) the Trumpublican Party won't nominate him.

And she will win with about 530 electoral votes (I see you, Alabama).

18 minutes ago, G650 said:

Uh, not sure how that any of this, which I agree with by the way, has anything to do with my post you quoted?

At this juncture, Kamala Harris was the only realistic option for Joe Biden's running mate. She ticked all the boxes needed and no one else did.

I take issue with your conclusion that it was the only real choice.  Duckworth would've been a good choice.  As would've been Whitmer.  Frankly, Lujan Grisham would've been a very good choice.  There were plenty of real choices that were available.

I think we all got wrapped around the Susan Rice axle.  That wouldn't have been a good choice.  But that's not to say that there weren't good choices out there.

• Hook 'Em 1