FUCK THIS FUCKING SHITPILE OF A YEAR

Brisketexan

Had the delightful experience of putting down BOTH our cat and dog yesterday. Leaving us shell shocked, in grief, and a fog.

We decided to try to get out of the house to go see friends in San Antonio. Loaded up in my wife’s BRAND NEW vehicle.

Awful traffic all the way, no discernible reason. Then, two miles from our friends house in AH...stopped at a light. BAM. Sandwiched by a stupid fuckhead who plowed into our rear end. Shoved us into the Jeep in front of us. So, we have significant damage to both rear AND front. Drivable. All of us are sore as shit.

Never mind the previous month, the apocalypse, killing all our fish, causing thousands of dollars in damage to our home.

Fuck 2021. I’m giving it zero stars.
Sending positive thoughts your way.

I know it isn't much, but if you ever make it up to NYC, I'll buy you a drink. So you have THAT to look forward to.
  • Like 1

With ammo being as pricey as it is, did you stage the animals such that one shot got them both?

The hell of it is....because the dog decided to decline so quickly, so she had to go down on the day we had the cat scheduled...the vet saved a “trip fee,” so hey, $100 off!

That’s right. We got a discount for killing both of our pets on the same day. What a victory.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Since it was in the Food forum, I was afraid you ended up eating the dog.

While you’re in SA, at least go enjoy one of the Mexican joints that mixes mayonnaise into the guacamole.

God. I have a grandmother that does this. It should be a crime. 

Sorry about the pets.  As I've said many times, a man gets, if he's lucky, 5-7 dogs in a lifetime.  You're welcome to my cat, if you can catch he/she/they.  I think it's a girl. I've been feeding the little fucker for a year and have never actually touched it. Lives in the front yard. Wife laughs at me everytime I buy cat food.  It's a karma thing for me.

But look on the bright side, many of us no longer think your political prognostications are insane.  From where I sit, Surly motto for 2021 should be "Holy shit, Brisket was right!"

These things shall pass, friend.

So, an addendum. The guy driving the car in front of us (that we were smashed into - did a fair bit of damage to us, not much to him, and he’s a good witness for us) was headed to the same game as we were. We traded info, he was very kind and sympathetic.

So, once we got here, I called and invited him and his friend up to the box we’re in (we’re guests of administration) to buy him and his buddy a beer. He’s an assistant coach at Giddings High. A good dude, making his way through a coaching career, just moved to Texas a year ago. We visited for a good hour. Talked about life in Texas, family, and what it means to be successful. And how important it is to put good stuff out into the universe, with no expectation of anything in return. And how he has a great opportunity to do so as a coach of young men.

He’s a good guy. Made a new friend. Giving him some family advice on how to spend a good weekend at the beach with kids (they’re from Indiana). I’m trying REAL hard to keep putting good stuff out there (I’m trying REAL hard to be the shepherd). Just because. I don’t know how else to do it. Even though I’m pretty fucking pissed at the universe at the moment.

So....I don’t know if it’s a ray of sunshine. But it’s something. I’ll take “something” right now.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, an addendum. The guy driving the car in front of us (that we were smashed into - did a fair bit of damage to us, not much to him, and he’s a good witness for us) was headed to the same game as we were. We traded info, he was very kind and sympathetic.

So, once we got here, I called and invited him and his friend up to the box we’re in (we’re guests of administration) to buy him and his buddy a beer. He’s an assistant coach at Giddings High. A good dude, making his way through a coaching career, just moved to Texas a year ago. We visited for a good hour. Talked about life in Texas, family, and what it means to be successful. And how important it is to put good stuff out into the universe, with no expectation of anything in return. And how he has a great opportunity to do so as a coach of young men.

He’s a good guy. Made a new friend. Giving him some family advice on how to spend a good weekend at the beach with kids (they’re from Indiana). I’m trying REAL hard to keep putting good stuff out there (I’m trying REAL hard to be the shepherd). Just because. I don’t know how else to do it. Even though I’m pretty fucking pissed at the universe at the moment.

So....I don’t know if it’s a ray of sunshine. But it’s something. I’ll take “something” right now.

Did you tell him about surly horns so he can give us all the scoop on his croots. Lol 

I've been avoiding this post for at least six months. I've always thought of you and goll, Mac, Cajun, troph, etc as the elders
/deacons of shaggy in whatever form it's currently in. I know it's been a rough few years but keep on doing what you do. You are a good man and always pays it forward. Things will be fine. We have a reasonable man in the white house. Pandemic is winding down. By all accounts you have a great family. Take a deep breath. Have a 30 year old scotch. Horns are in the actual tournament in 3 hours. It's going to get better.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Thanks for asking a relevant question ... I was getting worried folks had forgotten where we are.

As 2021 rolls on, we may have forgotten when we are, I have forgotten where we are and what we are...but Surly has never forgotten WHO we are.  

Sorry about the pets.  Hope the instigator of the wreck has insurance.

He did. Hassle though, both of the cars on the policy are shitty old Honda accords. I didn’t realize that. Call the claim in, they ask which one...I dunno, the shitty old white one. They can’t tell, so it’s still a “pending” claim. I MAY have told the agent “ITS YOUR FUCKING INSURED IN ONE OF HIS SHITTY FUCKING CARS.” She did not like my tone. I gave no fucks. I’m letting my agent deal with it - we both have the same carrier.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I was a little more out of it than I thought. Seriously, I was pretty thrown, and got my bell rung pretty solid.

So, I’ve spent the day drinking. Wife will drive home.

Here is where death ray vision would have come in handy for that moron.  Yes, DC comics were my favorite addiction as a kid and I always hoped that something like this weapon would have been developed in my lifetime, especially in times and days like the one you just described.

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Sorry about the continued string of mal suerte. 

But please tell your newfound friend that I hope Giddings has improved in the 52 years since we moved from there back to Austin.

I was on the faculty at Giddings HS (67-69), Mrs. Brat at Giddings Elementary. The place kinda sucked.

On 3/20/2021 at 2:25 PM, CooterBrown said:

Since it was in the Food forum, I was afraid you ended up eating the dog.

While you’re in SA, at least go enjoy one of the Mexican joints that mixes mayonnaise into the guacamole.

Why would somebody do this?