Shooter reported at Santa Fe, Texas school

South Austin

3 minutes ago, irockalltherocks said:

I don't know if that's a good action to take to get students on alert and alert the fire department. Or if it's a bad action as most students, I think, would exit their classrooms and possibly be easier targets for the shooter. Just don't know.

Depending on building construction it may make much more sense to barricade the doors and take cover. 

There almost need to be another type of alarm at all schools just for this type of response.  Maybe only activated by the office or have teachers activate it via a phone app or something.  I think in most schools they come over the PA. Can you imagine being the person saying "take cover, active shooter".  Fuck that.  I would want to talk shit to the pussy.    

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

'Murica

I really hope that fucking idiot gets shot. By a cop or a parent, I don't care.

29 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Perceptions can be changed with facts.  When I flew my first time as a kid I was certain I might have a 50-50 shot of surviving the flight.  There had been a couple bad plane crashes on the news, and I had watched the coverage.

My parents then showed me how many flights there were per day, week, month, and per year in the USA that made trips without incident.  And they pointed out the tv is not going to cover the millions of flights that land safely.  I was still a little nervous going on that first flight, but having the actual facts helped quite a bit.

It would be nice if our media actually did its job and spent a little bit of focus on facts like the NPR article I cited.  It would help some with the terror if American adults did not wrongly think that school shootings have massively increased since they were in school.  It would help more if we all knew the odds of dying in a school shooting were very low and much lower than they were 25 years ago (when the parents of today's youth went to school).

So, today NPR is a good source, but the other 364 days of the year its part of the liberal lamestream media.

19 minutes ago, TornACL said:

We breed individual cowards who think this is a solution to their problems because we're a nation of cowards will continue to argue about this on the internet, while continuing to do nothing about it.

Ain't no coward worse than a coward with a gun.

11 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Its not valid.  Its complete bullshit.  He's attempting to conflate overall gun homocides with schoolground gun homocides.  Overall gun homocides, like all violent crimes, have decreased significantly.  School shootings are much higher, however.  Pre-Columbine, school shootings were a rarity.  Gang violence was higher, but typically occurred outside of school.

Wrong.  The article was discussing school gun homicides only.

SANTA FE, Texas (KETK) - Santa Fe Independent School District is reporting possible explosive devices have been located at the school and off campus after at least eight people were killed and more than 10 more were wounded after an unidentified student opened fire at the school Friday morning.

The district reports the school has been evacuated.

At least one student has been arrested and another was detained following the massacre.

SFISD also says there have been an unspecified number of injuries.

According to the Harris County Sheriff's Office, a Sante Fe ISD police officer was injured, as well. The extent of their injuries are unknown.

Officials are now searching the grounds for victims.

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Project your silliness onto me all you like if it improves your maudlin day, dufus. I've positioned around nothing here other than you being a beating to read.

My real view beyond that is that you're legitimately emotionally unstable and I hope you're seeking help for it. I see your droning of whatever new thing has drawn your high and mighty ire on this board and when I don't roll my eyes and click away, I honestly think to myself that you've got mental issues that could be putting yourself and loved ones in danger. Before you project what's going on inside of you to the rest of us, do the responsible thing and take care of your own housekeeping first. 

...said closetojumping.

5 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I blame everyone for this, not just our so-called "leaders" but citizens as well (myself included).

That our culture shrugs its shoulders and thinks this is just an unavoidable side effect of life in America is a travesty and a national embarrassment.

You’re not wrong. We are all to blame.

It's not Ted Cruz's fault this occurred but he sure isn't doing anything to help prevent our gun violence problem whether you think its lack of gun control or mental illness or both.   Wouldn't surprise me that he saw how the Florida school shooting gave Rubio more attention (positive and negative) and he wants a piece of that action.  I admit that I felt Rubio and Nelson handled themselves well as Florida senators even if I didn't agree with everything both said.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I admit that I felt Rubio and Nelson handled themselves well as Florida senators even if I didn't agree with everything both said.

aaaaahhhhhh  NO.  Rubio fucked himself with everyone but gun nuts... and even with some of them.

1 hour ago, Ldogg53 said:

We got an email from school admin 2 weeks ago that they were doing active shooter/emergency drills at my kid's school.  She's in 2nd grade and told me about how they have closets to run and hide in.  This bullshit will be their new normal.  

Kindergarten. I was struggling to answer my baby girl's questions about why someone would want to come in and shoot them while at school. Our school hit the ground running after parkland. I wasn't ready for that convo. 

I wish we could figure out what triggers this crap inside a teenager's brain. Because from the outside, it just appears to be pure evil.  Like each of these shootings/mass casualty events, there will probably be extenuating circumstances but they are the same circumstances thousands of teenagers put up with but never snap.

The problem is what would make someone want to shoot up a school?  

Even if you removed all guns, these highly disturbed individuals would be in the population going untreated.

I’m for some gun legislation to reduce body counts but that’s still largely ignoring the underlying problem.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Depending on building construction it may make much more sense to barricade the doors and take cover. 
There almost need to be another type of alarm at all schools just for this type of response.  Maybe only activated by the office or have teachers activate it via a phone app or something.  I think in most schools they come over the PA. Can you imagine being the person saying "take cover, active shooter".  Fuck that.  I would want to talk shit to the pussy.    
Maybe schools can implement something like what universities have. Mass texts, emails and messages on all desk phones. Give power to teachers and administrators by letting them be able to send out a mass text which puts the school on lockdown.

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Wrong.  The article was discussing school gun homicides only.

Just looking at wikipedia alone, which itself doesn't have every shooting, the count in the article is off for most years.  Its entire purpose is to overcount 92-93 and undercount 2007 to 2015.  Its also why it heavily features "incidents" over body counts.  So we can all pretend that someone killing their cheating girlfriend is the same thing as randomly opening fire.

And of course it also doesn't include 2015-16, 16-17, or 17-18.  46 dead this school year per wiki.

Lack of empathy. Easy access to firearms, either legal or illegal (abundant supplies). Easiest way for people to see their rage by making other students dying the focal point. How you make these males less enraged to the point where murder isn't their outlet, I have no idea.

Edited by mdmost

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

No.  They don't.  And this just can't be OK with people.  This can't be the cost of our freedom.  

It's not, just the cost of powerful special interests and nut jobs.  Other countries don't have this problem.

Seeing the posts up above about active shooter drills in school.  My middle schooler just had one, while they were "locked down" administrators banged on the doors and screamed to see if the kids inside would stay quiet.  Just all kinds of fucked up.  Of course my kids are in the Broward county school district, so this is a fresh wound...

I'm a long-long time gun owner and I will vote single issue for MUCH MUCH stricter gun control.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

I wish we could figure out what triggers this crap inside a teenager's brain. Because from the outside, it just appears to be pure evil.  Like each of these shootings/mass casualty events, there will probably be extenuating circumstances but they are the same circumstances thousands of teenagers put up with but never snap.

Sure mental health is part of the problem and you’ll get a bunch of replies stating that. But I’d also argue hate is learned so where are they learning this culture?  Are they bring “taught” because of the dark shit you can find on the youtubes?

4 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

There’s almost certainly not a single answer or single cause.  Just look at Columbine.  One of the kids was just a natural born psychopath.  He was destined from birth to do shitty, evil things.  The other was a confused loser.  They both ended up shooting up a school, based on different psychological triggers.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Even if you removed all guns, these highly disturbed individuals would be in the population going untreated.

I’m for some gun legislation to reduce body counts but that’s still largely ignoring the underlying problem.

Cost of living needs to decrease. Families need to be able to not have to work as much, spend more time with kids. Cost of health care to be decrease, increased pay of teachers, school counselors, admin, etc. Lowered cost of higher education, more emphasis on the need of teachers to have a college degree and not just a cheap certification. Improved quality of food, reduced costs of food, too many kids hungry. Where to start?

1 minute ago, shnsajax said:

Cost of living needs to decrease. Families need to be able to not have to work as much, spend more time with kids. Cost of health care to be decrease, increased pay of teachers, school counselors, admin, etc. Lowered cost of higher education, more emphasis on the need of teachers to have a college degree and not just a cheap certification. Improved quality of food, reduced costs of food, too many kids hungry. Where to start?

That’s a list of things that will never, ever happen. At least on a population wide scale. So what now?

Just now, Pancho Negro said:

Sure mental health is part of the problem and you’ll get a bunch of replies stating that. But I’d also argue hate is learned so where are they learning this culture?  Are they bring “taught” because of the dark shit you can find on the youtubes?

Do their parents not hold some blame? Parents who don't secure there guns or weapons correctly? Parents who would rather put there kids on meds rather than have to parent them. Why don't those parents have to answer for what their kids do?

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Just looking at wikipedia alone, which itself doesn't have every shooting, the count in the article is off for most years.  Its entire purpose is to overcount 92-93 and undercount 2007 to 2015.  Its also why it heavily features "incidents" over body counts.  So we can all pretend that someone killing their cheating girlfriend is the same thing as randomly opening fire.

And of course it also doesn't include 2015-16, 16-17, or 17-18.  46 dead this school year per wiki.

James Alan Fox is one of the preeminent criminologists in the country with a focus on juvenile crime.  We were citing his stuff when juvenile crime was the national CX debate topic back in the late 90s.  I don't see any reason or indication that he has the motive you are attributing to him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Alan_Fox

3 minutes ago, BERT said:

Do their parents not hold some blame? Parents who don't secure there guns or weapons correctly? Parents who would rather put there kids on meds rather than have to parent them. Why don't those parents have to answer for what their kids do?

200w.webp

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Let's blame everything but easy access to semi-automatic rifles and 30 round mags.  Continue to believe the nonsense the NRA throws out and the day will come when a majority will enact new gun laws that gun owners hate.  We can make common sense changes now that need to be made or have no say in the matter down the road.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

We're fucked as a society.  Politicians won't do anything to fix the problem except give the victims their thoughts and prayers.  It's not their fault!

I have absolutely zero faith in any political figure to do anything.  Status quo won't change.  We're fucked.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Loco said:

It's not, just the cost of powerful special interests and nut jobs.  Other countries don't have this problem.

Seeing the posts up above about active shooter drills in school.  My middle schooler just had one, while they were "locked down" administrators banged on the doors and screamed to see if the kids inside would stay quiet.  Just all kinds of fucked up.  Of course my kids are in the Broward county school district, so this is a fresh wound...

I'm a long-long time gun owner and I will vote single issue for MUCH MUCH stricter gun control.

Agreed on all of this.  My middle-schooler had an active shooter drill about a month ago.  We had earthquake and nuke drills, but this was never a thought when I was a kid.

The younger generation will not tolerate this, and we are going to be ceding political control to them sooner than later.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

No.  They don't.  And this just can't be OK with people.  This can't be the cost of our freedom.  

I've never been a "ban all guns" person but seeing this happen over and over, I'm getting there. You're right to own a gun should not supersede the right of children to feel safe going to school or to the mall or the movies or a concert.

This broke my heart. She assumed it would eventually happen at her school and it did.

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Lack of empathy. Easy access to firearms, either legal or illegal (abundant supplies). Easiest way for people to see their rage by making other students dying the focal point. How you make these males less enraged to the point where murder isn't their outlet, I have no idea.

Read something after one of the other shootings how white male entitlement could be a factor. Why is it usually white males?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

both need to happen, and both need our attention. 

(and right now talking about one, while shouting down the other, is you being a dumb ass (not you hugo). if you really want change you need to quit the stupid fucking R v D culture wars and the way it has our society communicating)

Let's blame everything but easy access to semi-automatic rifles and 30 round mags.  Continue to believe the nonsense the NRA throws out and the day will come when a majority will enact new gun laws that gun owners hate.  We can make common sense changes now that need to be made or have no say in the matter down the road.

VA Tech shooter used handguns to kill 32 and wound 17 others.

Killeen Luby’s shooter used handguns to kill 23 and wound 27 others.

Reports are that this person used a shotgun.

Congrats, you found 2.  Refuse to give an inch on new gun laws.  Don't be surprised when one day in the future the Democrats take a mile and you'll have no say in the matter.  We'll be lucky to still be able to go deer hunting in 20 years thanks to the NRA.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1