“The NFL sucks, haven’t watched in years”

Ignatius

5 hours ago, naija said:

the only thing you can claim that college has better is "the experience," whatever that means to you. even the regular NFL season games are better than the college football product.

You couldn’t give me a free ticket to sit in the stands  of an NFL games anymore with the assholes that get in fights, and sport NFL jerseys covering their fat asses.

The college experience blows the NFL away simply become you can go to a game and not be caught in the middle of 2 or more losers getting in drunken brawls in the stands every game, and that’s just the women’s fights .

You can’t take a kid to an NFL game because of the self entitled, assholes fighting  in the stands in far too many instances.

The NFL doesn’t even have an agreement on what a catch is anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, nnm said:

I quit watching the NFL about 10 years ago. Looks like I missed some good games yesterday, but I had a great afternoon going on a long run and doing projects around the house. 
The reasons I quit watching are:

1) the in-person experience is really bad. Commercial, staged atmosphere. I hosted our company’s suite for years, and also sat in the stands a fair amount with other industry colleagues. Really stale and boring. CFB is rapidly approaching this too, but the atmosphere of a CFB rivalry game is so much better than NFL.
2) all the rule changes and reviews make the game almost unwatchable. I know I’m way in the minority here, but keeping the flow of the game going is more important to me than whether the receiver’s foot was 1 mm on or inside the line. Similarly, the QB and other offensive players’ halos have significantly decreased the capacity for chaos, while of course being necessary for the health of the players. 
3) NFL fans are the worst. Well, probably on par with aggy, arky, or many SECX3 fans.  Especially in person, on game day, in and around the stadiums. With some stadiums, you really feel like mob violence is about to break out any minute (and it often does).
4) the phenomenon of the super stadiums and itinerant teams.  The NFL used to feel a lot like CFB, with civic pride on the line. You still get that with small market teams like GB, KC, and Buffalo. But the Rams, Raiders, and Chargers’ moves from city to city and back again, getting taxpayers to subsidize billionaires’ businesses with boondoggle stadiums, is ridiculous. The Colts and Oilers’ moves started my feelings about this. 
5) the rise of fantasy football has taken many fans away from following teams to following players, and allegiances shift as rapidly as South Austin’s mom’s affections. It’s a game about individual statistics, not teams or fan bases. 

So I missed some good football yesterday. Yawn. I also probably missed some awesome sporting contests in the EPL, in Rugby, in Cricket, and Australian Rules Football in the last decade since I stopped watching the NFL.
Well, I wouldn’t say I missed it. 

I get Nos. 1 and 3, but most of us watch the games on TV, so we don’t have to deal with stadium atmosphere and shitty fans.

For No. 2, we can also bitch about the rule changes over the past two decades and TV time outs in the college game. I don’t think the NFL is significantly worse.

I get No. 4, especially if there’s a strong historical tie to a particular team. It helps that a city like Houston got another team, but I know a lot of NFL hearts died when the Oilers left Houston.

As for No. 5, it’s no different than the NBA or MLB. And if you say that’s all the more reason to stick to college sports, the new transfer rules are rotating players in and out of college football and basketball teams like never before, and that’s not slowing down anytime soon.

I say this as someone who’s been a Longhorn football season ticket holder since 1996, and still loves college more than the NFL, but pro football still puts out a damn fine product, and there’s a reason it’s been America’s most popular sport for a long time.

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 1

I was one of those people that didn't watch NFL for a long time. It was stale and boring. I've noticed in the past five years or so that the influence of the college game has made a big impact on NFL. Started around the time Lamar Jackson was allowed to play like Lamar Jackson. 

Remember when there was always the question of drafting a QB because they were always in the shotgun in college? When's the last time you've heard that? Now everyone is in the shotgun.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I was one of those people that didn't watch NFL for a long time. It was stale and boring. I've noticed in the past five years or so that the influence of the college game has made a big impact on NFL. Started around the time Lamar Jackson was allowed to play like Lamar Jackson. 

Remember when there was always the question of drafting a QB because they were always in the shotgun in college? When's the last time you've heard that? Now everyone is in the shotgun.

As great of a product that it is, the NFL is still a bunch of old white dudes who are slow to change and adapt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

4) the phenomenon of the super stadiums and itinerant teams.  The NFL used to feel a lot like CFB, with civic pride on the line. You still get that with small market teams like GB, KC, and Buffalo. But the Rams, Raiders, and Chargers’ moves from city to city and back again, getting taxpayers to subsidize billionaires’ businesses with boondoggle stadiums, is ridiculous. The Colts and Oilers’ moves started my feelings about this.

Don't know why people were cheering so much for the Packers to lose, unless they were a fan of a rival team.  Packers is publicly owned.  Everyone shoot root for that model.

1 hour ago, nnm said:

I quit watching the NFL about 10 years ago. Looks like I missed some good games yesterday, but I had a great afternoon going on a long run and doing projects around the house. 
The reasons I quit watching are:

1) the in-person experience is really bad. Commercial, staged atmosphere. I hosted our company’s suite for years, and also sat in the stands a fair amount with other industry colleagues. Really stale and boring. CFB is rapidly approaching this too, but the atmosphere of a CFB rivalry game is so much better than NFL.
2) all the rule changes and reviews make the game almost unwatchable. I know I’m way in the minority here, but keeping the flow of the game going is more important to me than whether the receiver’s foot was 1 mm on or inside the line. Similarly, the QB and other offensive players’ halos have significantly decreased the capacity for chaos, while of course being necessary for the health of the players. 
3) NFL fans are the worst. Well, probably on par with aggy, arky, or many SECX3 fans.  Especially in person, on game day, in and around the stadiums. With some stadiums, you really feel like mob violence is about to break out any minute (and it often does).
5) the rise of fantasy football has taken many fans away from following teams to following players, and allegiances shift as rapidly as South Austin’s mom’s affections. It’s a game about individual statistics, not teams or fan bases. 

So I missed some good football yesterday. Yawn. I also probably missed some awesome sporting contests in the EPL, in Rugby, in Cricket, and Australian Rules Football in the last decade since I stopped watching the NFL.
Well, I wouldn’t say I missed it. 

I feel this post.  I stopped watching NFL around the same time.  Partially due to the reason above, but even more that the NFL was dragging their feet on adopting modern schemes.

The offense side has come around a bit, but the NFL metagame is still more stale and boring than CFB.   NFL offenses are being dragged kicking and screaming into modern styles but NFL defenses are years behind.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I like the pace of NFL games even with the TV timeouts vs college. It's far superior as they're trying to stay in their tv time slot ranges, save overtime games. It's something the college game needs to do better or change IMO as these non overtime games in college lassting 3.5-4 hours is insane. Shaving time off of that would make the college game better on tv and in person. They could take off 5 minutes from halftime to help as well. 20 minute halftime is kind of insane. NFL halftime is around 12 minutes according to google.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

As great of a product that it is, the NFL is still a bunch of old white dudes who are slow to change and adapt.

No kidding. The retread issue is huge in the coaching staff. Seems like it's getting better though. I don't think it's a coincidence that 3/4 coaches in the games next weekend are younger guys.

20 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I feel this post.  I stopped watching NFL around the same time.  Partially due to the reason above, but even more that the NFL was dragging their feet on adopting modern schemes.

The offense side has come around a bit, but the NFL metagame is still more stale and boring than CFB.   NFL offenses are being dragged kicking and screaming into modern styles but NFL defenses are years behind.

Your second paragraph is completely false. Also if you stopped watching 10 years ago how would you even know that enough to definitively state here? 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I will selfishly assume the morons in the OP are those that say it sucks as opposed to those that haven't watched in years. If you meant both, than I wear the name with pride. Haven't watched in years and don't care in the slightest. I carried around hatred for Bud Adams for a decade, then just stopped caring at all.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say the NFL sucks. I don't watch it very often. I did watch the Titans this weekend but that was purely interest in Ryan Tannehill as he is from my home town and know his family. I just honestly have little interest in watching it. It doesn't excite me. It is great for people who gamble. That is a huge driving interest in the NFL IMHO.

Breathe deeply for a few moments.

Say to yourself, "I can like something without worrying about what other people think."

Say it many times. Breathe deeply. 

Say to yourself, "My interests aren't any better than anyone else's interests. And that's okay."

Take great pleasure in watching your favored version of a sport. 

Say to yourself, "I will refrain from starting another useless, idiotic thread claiming my favored source of entertainment is righteous and superior. I embrace that this endeavor is useless, puerile, and largely idiotic."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watch VERY few games during regular season.  My team (Oilers) was disappeared and then replaced by an unimaginative impostor team with another deeply unlikeable owner/family.  I tried to root for another team (Chargers) that I had developed an attachment with and then they up and leave the fan base too.  I love the sport and the athleticism, but feel almost zero attachment to any team.  I’ve now moved to a place where my closest team is KC.  Mahomes has recaptured some of my attention over the last few years, and I can feel myself being drawn to root for the Chiefs.

That said, I still follow the sport, watch highlights, and will tune back in for the playoffs when the matchups are compelling.  Didn’t watch Saturday, but caught most of both games yesterday.  I can’t add any more superlatives than what others have said.  I’ll probably watch more Chiefs games in the future and will keep up with Allen as well. 

To each their own. I watch just about any football from high school to college to NFL and will be watching the USFL in the spring. I like the aspects of team building for the unique situations of each and the differences in coaching. I do not understand the one or the other perspective though I greatly prefer the NFL. I also don’t follow much in other sports other than college basketball and some auto racing. Don’t give a shit about MLB, soccer, NBA, hockey, axe throwing, or any others.

Levels of talent is the biggest difference between college and the NFL. The NFL is the best of the best, every player is a superior athlete and player. The NFL QB requires more of brains, athleticism, leadership, hard work than any other job in sports. No top college player faces an opposing top college player every week; the grind of facing a top performer for a 17-20 week grind is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

I also enjoy the complex team building required to win within the salary cap of the nfl. It’s what makes following the NFL a 12 month constant thing to follow of the senior bowl, combine, free agency, the draft, camp up to the season. The game itself is far more complex for both sides of the ball. In college a few top players can take over a game. In high school one top player can take a school to state.

Of course there are things I’d like to change. Get the refs out of the game by publishing their stats and weekly reprimands and apologies. Also move to an eye in the sky with a booth official on site and 16 angles live like the AAFL had. Go to a new playoff OT rule either giving both teams a possession or a modified college OT with no kicked PATs.

I grew up going to college games every weekend but it has changed greatly since the 70’s. I think NIL and even more TV money is going to continue to drastically change the structure of college ball like free agency did in the nfl. Doesn’t meant it’s worse, it’ll be different.

• Like 1

I wish NFL and NCAA would switch to ad banners at the top or bottom of the screen and have fewer commercial breaks, something soccer gets correct IMO. All the damn tv timeouts break up the flow and momentum of the game and take what should be 2-2.5 hrs into 3+ hours (often 4 for college).

There is a campaign to move the Super Bowl to Saturday permanently so people and their kids can stay out later on a non-school night and people don’t roll into work on Monday with a raging hangover. It breaks tradition but I guess it would be fine. They aren’t stepping on any other football’s schedule that late in the year. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Breathe deeply for a few moments.

Say to yourself, "I can like something without worrying about what other people think."

Say to yourself, "My interests aren't any better than anyone else's interests. And that's okay."

Take great pleasure in watching your favored version of a sport. 

Say to yourself, "I will refrain from starting another useless, idiotic thread claiming my favored source of entertainment is righteous and superior. I embrace that this endeavor is useless, puerile, and largely idiotic."

Relax-Model.jpg

• Haha 1

I wish NFL and NCAA would switch to ad banners at the top or bottom of the screen and have fewer commercial breaks, something soccer gets correct IMO. All the damn tv timeouts break up the flow and momentum of the game and take what should be 2-2.5 hrs into 3+ hours (often 4 for college).
There is a campaign to move the Super Bowl to Saturday permanently so people and their kids can stay out later on a non-school night and people don’t roll into work on Monday with a raging hangover. It breaks tradition but I guess it would be fine. They aren’t stepping on any other football’s schedule that late in the year. 
A Saturday night Super Bowl would be cool.

28 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

A Saturday night Super Bowl would be cool.

Productivity the Monday after would skyrocket 

I only watched the Green Bay/SF game and the second half of the Bills/Chiefs game - both were superb.  Pro playoffs are almost always superior to the college game.  College football playoffs may be the worst post-season event out there right now.  it's utter dog shit at the moment.  I really dig the CWS over the MLB playoffs but it's hard to argue the quality of the product when a ring is on the line.  pro regular seasons I could not care less about. but to reiterate, college football playoffs are complete dog shit, horse shit and chicken shit all mixed together in a nasty pile of fucking shit.  and it pains me to say it, because we all wanted the CFP for so long. sadly I only think it's going to get worse before it gets better with NIL and no real rules whatsoever.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, troph said:

I only watched the Green Bay/SF game and the second half of the Bills/Chiefs game - both were superb.  Pro playoffs are almost always superior to the college game.  College football playoffs may be the worst post-season event out there right now.  it's utter dog shit at the moment.  I really dig the CWS over the MLB playoffs but it's hard to argue the quality of the product when a ring is on the line.  pro regular seasons I could not care less about. but to reiterate, college football playoffs are complete dog shit, horse shit and chicken shit all mixed together in a nasty pile of fucking shit.  and it pains me to say it, because we all wanted the CFP for so long. sadly I only think it's going to get worse before it gets better with NIL and no real rules whatsoever.

The real problem with the CFP is that it’s not a playoff. It’s a 4-team invitational, with the same 6 teams getting the invitations each year. No one cares about that. 

• Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Helobious said:

When was the last time the super bowl ended later than 10pm CT? I don’t see any benefit to moving it to Saturday. 

25 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Besides, hangovers build character

It's not when it ends, it's how much you've been drinking all day and throughout the game.

And my character doesn't need any more building.

• Haha 1