Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Thamel's echoing OU and UT talking points well.  Let the B12 keep thinking the two schools will remain beyond Summer 2021.  That works in our favor.

But seriously, the risk of damage to both programs as a lame duck for multiple years in the B12, is too great.  The move must happen in 2022, so it will.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Thamel's echoing OU and UT talking points well.  Let the B12 keep thinking the two schools will remain beyond Summer 2021.  That works in our favor.

But seriously, the risk of damage to both programs as a lame duck for multiple years in the B12, is too great.  The move must happen in 2022, so it will.

Yep.  It Texas/OU had any intention of staying through the GOR - they would have waited another 2 years before announcing this move.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Now that this thread has slowed down I think we need to discuss the ramifications of A&M trying to torpedo our entrance to the SEC. 

The only thing its ruined is the SECs attempt to expand the playoff in a way that was beneficial for this expanded conference. 

I think this hasn't gotten enough attention, and we need to make sure to reiterate this over and over until A&M is broadly associated with this monumental fuck up. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

The Big 12 is one of the autonomous 5 conferences so the thought of the Big12 schools joining the AAC is dumb.  Plus the AAC has some teams that aren’t good realignment candidates so adding the Big 12 schools to them doesn’t fix that.  Basically if the Big12 doesn’t get dissolved they will expand.
Best options:

Texas schools: Houston or SMU

Western schools: BYU or Boise St

Florida schools: UCF or USF

Others: Cincy or Memphis

Tulane is a small private school in a good market with great academics but can’t complete in this new age of college football with a 30k seat stadium.  The Big12 needs more WVU’s and less Baylor/TCU’s.

Tulsa is very similar to Tulane, but remove the great academics and good market (#3 in Oklahoma < #2 in Louisiana) plus they are REALLY small with only 3k enrollment. 

East Carolina is competing for 5th place in North Carolina and is losing that battle to Appalachian State and Charlotte little by little.

Temple just doesn’t move the needle.  Philly is a pro town, they won’t drive TV money.

The Big 12 WAS one of the autonomous 5 conferences.  Once the move is done it will become, or shortly become, autonomous 4 or Power 4.

A conference with Oklahoma State or Tech (or pick any other Irate 8 school) as the lead dog is how that conference will be defined, and all of the candidates to join the Big 12 don't elevate it's profile, or more importantly it's financial position, ...or they would have been added before this.

And with the incredibly poor leadership shown by Bowlsby and the Big 12, why would anyone want to leave their conference to join them which would generally be a lateral move to what likely may be a dying conference.  Additionally, there is no remaining Irate 8 school that every believes would not jump at the chance to move to one of the remaining P4 conferences.  So why do a lateral move to a conference with poor leadership filled with schools that are hoping and praying to find a new/better landing spot.

Having said this I agree with most posters that I hope all the teams (excluding Baylor) find a good place to land.

10 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Now that this thread has slowed down I think we need to discuss the ramifications of A&M trying to torpedo our entrance to the SEC. 

The only thing its ruined is the SECs attempt to expand the playoff in a way that was beneficial for this expanded conference. 

I think this hasn't gotten enough attention, and we need to make sure to reiterate this over and over until A&M is broadly associated with this monumental fuck up. 

so.... let's get the wording right.....  is it:

"aggy killed the expanded playoffs" ???

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Billboards are substantially more expensive than airplane banners. Go ahead and trust me on this one. 

So for the first Texas and aggie game the banner should read? ....

"Daddy's Home"

"Now, get your shine box!"

"Thanks!  It would be embarrassing to not be unanimous."

"The Flagship University thanks our agricultural brethren!"

"Don't think of it as a loss, think of it as an SEC victory"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

I know we want to bust on aggy but say nothing came out until last Monday and the bombshell goes off. I think the other conferences would still be pissed at Shakney for negotiating with Texas and OU about joining while also being on the committee floating the idea of expanding the playoff. It is a bad look but the playoff expanding was always an eventuality. All it will take is a 1-2 loss P5 champ to get passed over for a 1 loss SEC 2nd team for the expansion to gain ground. These conferences like money and an expanded playoff is going to make them a lot more. Now the Big 10 can get 2 teams in. Same with maybe the ACC if any other team could not suck so hard. And the smaller conferences actually could finally get their shot. The SEC stuff might delay it but not for long. And ESPN is still going to win the bid because they have more money than Fox.

20 minutes ago, ABSR said:

The Big 12 WAS one of the autonomous 5 conferences.  Once the move is done it will become, or shortly become, autonomous 4 or Power 4.

A conference with Oklahoma State or Tech (or pick any other Irate 8 school) as the lead dog is how that conference will be defined, and all of the candidates to join the Big 12 don't elevate it's profile, or more importantly it's financial position, ...or they would have been added before this.

And with the incredibly poor leadership shown by Bowlsby and the Big 12, why would anyone want to leave their conference to join them which would generally be a lateral move to what likely may be a dying conference.  Additionally, there is no remaining Irate 8 school that every believes would not jump at the chance to move to one of the remaining P4 conferences.  So why do a lateral move to a conference with poor leadership filled with schools that are hoping and praying to find a new/better landing spot.

Having said this I agree with most posters that I hope all the teams (excluding Baylor) find a good place to land.

They’ll lose their power 5 status when they lose the sugar bowl bid in 2025, that is correct.  To lose their autonomous 5 status the entire NCAA would have to vote on that, or the conference would need to disband, or the others would need to breakaway.

Either way, Big 12 leadership can be replaced, but pound for pound the AAC is a weaker conference, Cincy and UH will not stay there because there is value in ridding themselves of schools like Tulsa.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, ABSR said:

all of the candidates to join the Big 12 don't elevate it's profile, or more importantly it's financial position, ...or they would have been added before this.

BYU would certainly elevate their profile with its brand and all that it brings to the table, the trick is finding a 10th team that would elevate it to the degree that BYU does where they could expand the size of the pie, unfortunately who other then BYU does that?  

• Fuck You 2

L

20 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

In all fairness, no one gave a shit when or where Missouri played.

And in all fairness and full transparency, no one does now, either. 

30 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

so.... let's get the wording right.....  is it:

"aggy killed the expanded playoffs" ???

Let us not also forget Tech’s role in snitching out ESPN to bowlsby, either. 

That’s more egregious than an early leak, IMO.  

9 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

How much does aggy get from Adidas vs Horns Nike?

Here is the UT/ Nike contract

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2940176-Texas-Nike-contract-Jan-2016.html

Here is a link to a pdf of the aggy/ adidas contract

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3974634/Adidas_FINAL__1_.0.pdf

The UT/Nike deal is about $250 mil over 15 years, which averages about $16 mil/yr. aggy's deal pays them about $7 mil/yr, mostly in product.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Orange&amp;White said:

From 73 to 81, the drinking  age in Texas was 18. From 81 to 86 it was 19. It was raised back to 21 in 1986.

And with my full time in college being with an 18 year old drinking age, its hard to imagine it any other way.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ABSR said:

Nobody is going to remove the "A" label from the Big 12.  The college presidents simply will not do that.  The media is already removing the "P" label.

The Big 12 will retain a status above the other conferences as long as the NCAA doesn't get pushed to the side (not that it won't happen).  They just aren't going to be in a hurry to dump on the remaining 8, just as they weren't with the Big East until they completely eviscerated it.

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

True. I saw an authentic letter from a real Floridian posted on Texags:

Dear Texas A&M Fighting Texas Aggies from Texas,

I just wanted to express my gratitude to and admiration of Texas A&M University and the very classy fans you have. I had the extreme pleasure to meet some fine Texas Aggies assembling a billboard in my state. They all greeted me with a friendly Howdy! They then offered to give me directions to Kyle Field and walk with me there if that were my preference.

They were very handsome and manly. I told them that I would love to experience the unique gameday experience at Kyle and watch the greatest marching band in the world execute counter marches like nobody's business, but it was summer and the stadium is hundreds of miles away.

The billboard was in such a beautiful color, that I couldn't be offended by it's playful message. 

Anyway, from now on, I'll be pulling for those "dear old Texas Aggies" (I love your War Hymn!!) every game where they're not playing my Gators. And we hate tu as much as you do. They're so arrogant and all about appearances. Yuck.

Wishing I was an Aggie,

Karen

men at work applause GIF

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I just wanted to express my gratitude to and admiration of Texas A&M University and the very classy fans you have. I had the extreme pleasure to meet some fine Texas Aggies assembling a billboard in my state. They all greeted me with a friendly Howdy! They then offered to give me directions to Kyle Field and walk with me there if that were my preference.

They were very handsome and manly. I told them that I would love to experience the unique gameday experience at Kyle and watch the greatest marching band in the world execute counter marches like nobody's business, but it was summer and the stadium is hundreds of miles away.

The billboard was in such a beautiful color, that I couldn't be offended by it's playful message. 

Anyway, from now on, I'll be pulling for those "dear old Texas Aggies" (I love your War Hymn!!) every game where they're not playing my Gators. And we hate tu as much as you do. They're so arrogant and all about appearances. Yuck.

Wishing I was an Aggie,

Karen

My two favorite "fake aggy" letters are 1) the 2013 Auburn one where the fan got lost seven times between where he parked his car and the stadium and 2) the 2020 Florida one where the "fan" was glad Florida lost because A&M "deserved the win" more than Florida.

That whole series of fake letters is a simply fascinating peek into the aggy mindset.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Twizzler said:

How did we end up with bowlsby in the first place?  Texas and ou had to be supporters of his at one point 

Think this through. What works better for our long term goals: a kick ass commish, or an incompetent piece of shit that couldn’t supervise his way out of a paper bag?

11 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

My two favorite "fake aggy" letters are 1) the 2013 Auburn one where the fan got lost seven times between where he parked his car and the stadium and 2) the 2020 Florida one where the "fan" was glad Florida lost because A&M "deserved the win" more than Florida.

That whole series of fake letters is a simply fascinating peek into the aggy mindset.

32A78CD7-22F1-4A28-98B5-B7525D33162E.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Sounds like Figurelli's work.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Wishing I was an Aggie,

Karen

Ok "Karen" 

3 hours ago, Orange&amp;White said:

From 73 to 81, the drinking  age in Texas was 18. From 81 to 86 it was 19. It was raised back to 21 in 1986.

I was already in the military by then so as long as I was on base, it didn't matter.  My response was really kind of a joke.  I'll try harder. ☺️🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

It’s the aggy go-to move. 
image.thumb.jpeg.d0f10f804fa9d25cc1eb15c8e9f9c648.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

"Daddy's Home"

My personal favorite is when the LHB plays the Mickey Mouse Club theme for the corps. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, ABSR said:

"Daddy's Home"

the answer is crystal and already on the internet

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

I know we want to bust on aggy but say nothing came out until last Monday and the bombshell goes off. I think the other conferences would still be pissed at Shakney for negotiating with Texas and OU about joining while also being on the committee floating the idea of expanding the playoff. It is a bad look but the playoff expanding was always an eventuality. All it will take is a 1-2 loss P5 champ to get passed over for a 1 loss SEC 2nd team for the expansion to gain ground. These conferences like money and an expanded playoff is going to make them a lot more. Now the Big 10 can get 2 teams in. Same with maybe the ACC if any other team could not suck so hard. And the smaller conferences actually could finally get their shot. The SEC stuff might delay it but not for long. And ESPN is still going to win the bid because they have more money than Fox.

stop confusing me with facts.

this is aggy we are dealing with here.

bad for them, good for us.

next?

And with my full time in college being with an 18 year old drinking age, its hard to imagine it any other way.

I’m just a little younger. I was 17 when I started UT but turned 18 within a few months and then i was always legal during my four years as the drinking age was raised. Yes, it is hard to imagine going through much of college not being able to drink legally. Worst law ever but that’s another thread.

On draft registration, I was among the first group to have to register for the draft. I was proud to do so.

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Let us not also forget Tech’s role in snitching out ESPN to bowlsby, either. 

That’s more egregious than an early leak, IMO.  

never split your attack without multiple clear objectives

shaming tech serves no purpose, short term or long term

shaming aggy is good for business, yesterday, today and tomorrow

shaming aggy is always good for business

it's a Ferengi Rule of Acquisition

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

You left out “, and kicked to the curb for it!”

1 minute ago, Constant said:

Anyone have any insight on when and how negotiations on getting out before 2025 will begin? Is this something they are already in talks about regarding buyouts and what not or is it a wait til the last second kind of negotiation?

I’m guessing it’s a wait and see thing. KU or any school worth anything is looking to bolt ASAP and the conference may crumble without the need to pay any buy outs. 

Anyone have any insight on when and how negotiations on getting out before 2025 will begin? Is this something they are already in talks about regarding buyouts and what not or is it a wait til the last second kind of negotiation?

It’s a done deal. 100% that we are playing in the SEC in 2022. Just read up a couple of pages.

I hope your sarcasm meter is not broken. Sure, it may happen and it’s possibly even very likely to happen. But it’s not certain.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:47 AM, Surly Bevo said:

If only aggy had been the one to actually put it there and not ahem cough.....ShaggyBevo.

Which means the good news is, there are a few shall we say qualified individuals around here who could fulfill your request.

Assuming you aren’t full of shit (and I don’t think you are, because the idea sounds gloriously Shaggy/Surly-esque), is this documented anywhere on the inter webs?

27 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

never split your attack without multiple clear objectives

shaming tech serves no purpose, short term or long term

shaming aggy is good for business, yesterday, today and tomorrow

shaming aggy is always good for business

it's a Ferengi Rule of Acquisition

+1, no point in convoluting the messaging and reducing the aggy ownership of blame on this 

• Hook 'Em 1