Casey Thompson

Tex Long

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

we need to get the BOMC going in high gear so maybe we can hear "Riley only offered him as a safety/OU didn't want him as a QB" 50 times during the game....oh yeah never mind because its not Texas who didn't offer it will get zero run.

Well, that’s because most people aren’t mad when they learn they won’t be going to OU…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I read he was headed to OU but backed off after Cameron Rising (lol) committed to OU. 
I got the impressison back then and especially now he isnt very fond of BlowU...probably stupid gooners mouthing off to his dad over the years and blaming him for Switzers demise. Charles Thompson, ex blowU QB has no problem wearing burnt orange and sitting in DKR..let that sink in.

It will be twice as sweet beating those fucksticks with one of their own legacies as trigger man.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

On 9/28/2021 at 10:23 AM, Zeus said:

I took the time to poop this out in another thread so ill repost it here:

Colorado (5 drives, 4 TD and a FG) *scores on 5-5 drives*

1. Robinson runs for 66 yards, Casey hits Moore for the TD

2. 7 plays, 80yds TD pass to Moore again

3. 6 plays, 43 yds, FG

4. 6 plays, 75 yds, TD pass to Bijan

5. 2 plays, 75 yds, 73 yd TD pass to Dixon

Lousiana (2 drives, TD and a FG) *scores on 2-2 drives*

1. 10 plays, 75 yds, TD pass to J Whitt

2. 6 plays, 18 yds, FG

3. doesn't count, just running the ball to run out the clock in a blowout

Arkansas (2 drives, 2 TDs) *scores on 2-2 drives*

1. 10 plays, 75 yds, rush for the TD

2. 14 plays, 75 yds, rush for the TD

Rice (8 drives, 7 TDs) *scores on 7-8 drives*

1. 9 plays, 69 yds, TD

2. threw an interception

3. 3 plays, 80 yds, TD (just running plays this drive)

4. 6 plays, 65 yds, TD

5. 5 plays, 89 yds, TD

6. 5 plays, 62 yds, TD pass to Wiley

7. 5 plays, 44 yds, TD pass to Worthy

8. 3 plays, 84 yds, TD

Tech (9 drives, 8 TDs) *scores on 8-9 drives*

1. 10 plays, 75 yds, TD pass to Bijan

2. 9 plays, 80 yds, TD

3. 12 plays, 75 yds, TD rush

4. 6 plays, 40 yds, TD pass to Worthy

5. 9 plays, 84 yds, TD 

6. threw an interception

7. 2 plays, 7 yds, TD pass to Whitt

8. 6 plays 87 yds, TD pass to Worthy

9. 3 plays 75 yds, TD pass to Worthy

So 

Colorado (5 drives, 4 TD and a FG) *scores on 5-5 drives*

Lousiana (2 drives, TD and a FG) *scores on 2-2 drives*

Arkansas (2 drives, 2 TDs) *scores on 2-2 drives*

Rice (8 drives, 7 TDs) *scores on 7-8 drives*

Tech (9 drives, 8 TDs) *scores on 8-9 drives*

Scores on 24 of 26 drives with 22 TDs and 2 FGs

Really he threw two meaningless picks, but it's a pick for every 11 TDs or every 12 scores. 

Kind of makes you wonder what would have happened if Casey had started over Sam last year......

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Kind of makes you wonder what would have happened if Casey had started over Sam last year......

I kind of wonder what would have happened had Sam had Sarkisian during his time here. Probably would have had a running game rather than being an offense of one.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I kind of wonder what would have happened had Sam had Sarkisian during his time here. Probably would have had a running game rather than being an offense of one.

I don’t see how it could have gotten worse.....unless you consider having a douchebag that thinks he’s the smartest man on the planet, while blowing bubbles on the sideline, trying to show the players how black he can be.

5 hours ago, chase25 said:

That's the design of that Urban Meyer offense. It requires a lot of hero ball from the QB. It was like that at UH, tOSU, Florida with Tebow, and even way back to Utah with Alex Smith rushing for 631 yards his senior year.

• Like 1

That's the design of that Urban Meyer offense. It requires a lot of hero ball from the QB. It was like that at UH, tOSU, Florida with Tebow, and even way back to Utah with Alex Smith rushing for 631 yards his senior year.

Teebus wasn’t playing hero ball. Those teams had a fuck ton of talent and speed. Plus, the sec wasn’t some murderers row.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think Sark probably would’ve favored Buchele over Ehlinger

I've been impressed with Sark's good decisions - hiring good coaches, developing a balanced offense, pushing to win convincingly.

But I've been far more impressed with how he's responded to his bad decisions, namely, his willingness to give Casey the starting job when Card was struggling. Every coach will make some bad decisions, but the best coaches correct course, while bad coaches double down and make the team suffer as a result.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

I've been impressed with Sark's good decisions - hiring good coaches, developing a balanced offense, pushing to win convincingly.

But I've been far more impressed with how he's responded to his bad decisions, namely, his willingness to give Casey the starting job when Card was struggling. Every coach will make some bad decisions, but the best coaches correct course, while bad coaches double down and make the team suffer as a result.

Yep and he's modified the running scheme a bit as well instead of trying to force the issue of what he prefers.  

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Teebus wasn’t playing hero ball. Those teams had a fuck ton of talent and speed. Plus, the sec wasn’t some murderers row.

Tebow led the team in rushing with almost 800 yards, and rushing TDs with 12 in 2008. He accounted for 42 of the team's 75 TDs. They had talent and speed everywhere like you said, but a lot was on the QB's shoulders. The only year I can think of was OSU's championship year where Zeke had almost 2k rushing. Even still JT Barrett had 1100 yards rushing.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, dcar00 said:

we need to get the BOMC going in high gear so maybe we can hear "Riley only offered him as a safety/OU didn't want him as a QB" 50 times during the game....oh yeah never mind because its not Texas who didn't offer it will get zero run.

I have decided that one of the burdens of being a Texas fan is that nearly every game you watch, the other team will have a really good player who Texas didn't offer.  And the announcers will mention it relentlessly for 3+ hours.  

It's tiresome.  

I mean, we have about 20 scholarships each year, and there are thousands of high school seniors who would come here if offered.  The chance of the Texas staff picking *exactly* the 20 best players who want to come here every year... is ZERO percent.  Getting the best 20 out of those thousands is statistically FAR more improbable than picking a perfect NCAA bracket.  

So you're going to line up against really good players who you didn't offer.  Every year.  Nearly every week.  It's not a fucking storyline that deserves the amount of air time that it gets.  

That said, coaches have to do a reasonably good job evaluating talent.  I mean, we went the better part of a decade with Case McCoy, Jerrod Heard, and Tyrone Swoopes lining up under center, not to mention a decade of poor O-line play, and that's kind of inexcusable given our resources.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I think Sark probably would’ve favored Buchele over Ehlinger

I think this is correct. Sark values scheme and QB decision-making over any of the Herman "lunch-pale-corch-on-the-field" bullshit. 

It's extremely evident we have far more players catching passes in space than any time during Herman's tenure, where we had, what, 2 plays of 50+ yards?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I have decided that one of the burdens of being a Texas fan is that nearly every game you watch, the other team will have a really good player who Texas didn't offer.  And the announcers will mention it relentlessly for 3+ hours.  

It's tiresome.  

I mean, we have about 20 scholarships each year, and there are thousands of high school seniors who would come here if offered.  The chance of the Texas staff picking *exactly* the 20 best players who want to come here every year... is ZERO percent.  Getting the best 20 out of those thousands is statistically FAR more improbable than picking a perfect NCAA bracket.  

So you're going to line up against really good players who you didn't offer.  Every year.  Nearly every week.  It's not a fucking storyline that deserves the amount of air time that it gets.  

This. 

Doesn't matter the sport - there's always some kid who "wasn't offered" that would have played for Texas in a heartbeat and it's the broadcaster's favorite story to repeat all game long. 

And then they make a good play and it's THE TEXAN IN FRONT OF THE HOME STATE CROWD! or THE AUSTIN NATIVE BACK HOME! to really emphasize how we "missed" on them. 

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

This. 

Doesn't matter the sport - there's always some kid who "wasn't offered" that would have played for Texas in a heartbeat and it's the broadcaster's favorite story to repeat all game long. 

Most of the talking heads associated with sports and games are basically fucking morons. They need something to talk about, and "they didn't offer" is easy to remember.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Most of the talking heads associated with sports and games are basically fucking morons. They need something to talk about, and "they didn't offer" is easy to remember.

Especially when those people we passed on go on to win the Heisman Trophy. 

I think this is correct. Sark values scheme and QB decision-making over any of the Herman "lunch-pale-corch-on-the-field" bullshit. 
It's extremely evident we have far more players catching passes in space than any time during Herman's tenure, where we had, what, 2 plays of 50+ yards?

You might want to ask yourself who is Sark more like: Frank Reich or Andy Reid?

Then maybe that is your answer.

Herman was good at getting guys in space. Unfortunately it was TEs or RBs. And he did it too infrequently, which may have been the key to getting them open.

Sam was not a poor decision maker. In some cases he was likely overly cautious. This “throw the receiver open” concept is largely a risk/reward decision. You can bet your butt some are coached away from that risk. I will say year 4 versus 2 and 3 led to more attempts downfield

There’s some irony playing out thus far this fall. Our deep passing game to this point has been as poor as it’s ever been. That was supposed to immediately improve. But in the last two games we’ve scored tons of points without it. the best part is that the defense IS having to defend the entire field.

Some coaches are just better than others. Great offenses make the QBs job easier. That’s not to say it is easy. But as old and fat as I am, I could complete some passes in Sarks offense. The TD to Bijan is an example from last week. The throw was low and caused him to slow down, but the call was so timely that did not matter.

The fact that Sam And Beuchele both did well in their NFL camps tells me either could work in Sarks offense. Unfortunately for both, I’d say arm strength is their weakness or perhaps better stated is their limiting factor.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

This. 

And then they make a good play and it's THE TEXAN IN FRONT OF THE HOME STATE CROWD! or THE AUSTIN NATIVE BACK HOME! to really emphasize how we "missed" on them. 

But if the fathers of two players weren't college room mates, you have to talk about something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

You might want to ask yourself who is Sark more like: Frank Reich or Andy Reid?

Then maybe that is your answer.

Herman was good at getting guys in space. Unfortunately it was TEs or RBs. And he did it too infrequently, which may have been the key to getting them open.

Sam was not a poor decision maker. In some cases he was likely overly cautious. This “throw the receiver open” concept is largely a risk/reward decision. You can bet your butt some are coached away from that risk. I will say year 4 versus 2 and 3 led to more attempts downfield

There’s some irony playing out thus far this fall. Our deep passing game to this point has been as poor as it’s ever been. That was supposed to immediately improve. But in the last two games we’ve scored tons of points without it. the best part is that the defense IS having to defend the entire field.

Some coaches are just better than others. Great offenses make the QBs job easier. That’s not to say it is easy. But as old and fat as I am, I could complete some passes in Sarks offense. The TD to Bijan is an example from last week. The throw was low and caused him to slow down, but the call was so timely that did not matter.

The fact that Sam And Beuchele both did well in their NFL camps tells me either could work in Sarks offense. Unfortunately for both, I’d say arm strength is their weakness or perhaps better stated is their limiting factor.

Texas took more deep shots last season than Sark did at Bama. It’s not a focal point of Sark’s offense which is more about maximizing YAC in the short and intermediate passing game. 

Texas took more deep shots last season than Sark did at Bama. It’s not a focal point of Sark’s offense which is more about maximizing YAC in the short and intermediate passing game. 

Very well could be. The defense still has to defend the entire field, which is critically important.

I’m very bullish on what we can do in this offense.

6 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It's only mentioned because said lesser team is beating us.  No one talks about anybody we passed on Tech's roster because our roster curbed stomped them.

Meh we beat Baylor in 2018 and we never stopped hearing about how we didn't offer their QB.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

It's tiresome.  

That said, coaches have to do a reasonably good job evaluating talent.  I mean, we went the better part of a decade with Case McCoy, Jerrod Heard, and Tyrone Swoopes lining up under center, not to mention a decade of poor O-line play, and that's kind of inexcusable given our resources.

If by "coaches" you mean late period Mack Brown, then I agree. IDGAF about the rankings of the classes he pulled in, it went to absolute shit circa 2007 and we are still in the process of digging out of the smoking crater he left behind. IMO Strong and Herman have proven to be about average recruiters for a program of our stature. Mack from '98-02 for real had it going on, and then there was a dip, and finally a crash. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

If by "coaches" you mean late period Mack Brown, then I agree. IDGAF about the rankings of the classes he pulled in, it went to absolute shit circa 2007 and we are still in the process of digging out of the smoking crater he left behind. IMO Strong and Herman have proven to be about average recruiters for a program of our stature. Mack from '98-02 for real had it going on, and then there was a dip, and finally a crash. 

Mack Brown, reading your post:

ImWxP7vZ_400x400.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2