Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

Talking about Chuys and Casa Ole and Tex-Mex is 100 percent Michael Scott and his Sbarro New York slice. It’s Sysco reheated and divorced junior high teachers after inservice.  

And that’s completely fine, because this is a shit food opinion thread. I’ve copped to liking Little Caesar’s unironically. I recognize that it’s garbage and I can own thar, and I suggest ctj own his love of retail plaza anchor slop. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Talking about Chuys and Casa Ole and Tex-Mex is 100 percent Michael Scott and his Sbarro New York slice. It’s Sysco reheated and divorced junior high teachers after inservice.  

And that’s completely fine, because this is a shit food opinion thread. I’ve copped to liking Little Caesar’s unironically. I recognize that it’s garbage and I can own thar, and I suggest ctj own his love of retail plaza anchor slop. 

I’m pretty sure most restaurants are Sysco at this point but they have different levels such as raw chicken breast and pre fried chicken breast you microwave.  Chuy’s is not the latter I can guarantee but Casa Ole 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yeah, it just so happens the place you’re going for lunch today has it, how about that?

When you get Thai I’m guessing you order rice noodles with fried egg and a sweet and sour sauce with chicken or shrimp, too. Gtfo here with any fancy PadThai. 

Sounds a little flustered. Are you okay? Just assume not everywhere has it

42 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yeah, well, the MexiCobb salad at Chuy's is my Go-To when i'm there.

I went thru your LC experience a few years back, but just you wait until your experience deepens and find yourself liking Pizza Patron.  mindexplosion.gif 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sounds a little flustered. Are you okay? Just assume not everywhere has it

I am fine with recognizing that the finest mixed-use retail Fresh Mex anchor chains in both the Houston AND Galveston areas don’t. Next time I find myself in one, I won’t ask, or I’ll just show myself into the McAllisters at the other corner :)

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

22 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I am fine with recognizing that the finest mixed-use retail Fresh Mex anchor chains in both the Houston AND Galveston areas don’t. Next time I find myself in one, I won’t ask, or I’ll just show myself into the McAllisters at the other corner :)

Only the best for 956 Worldwide! This aggie does not stoop to ordinary restaurants of the common folk. He looms like a gargoyle outside of any random chain he can find and then heckles patrons as they walk in and out from the confines of his car, irreverently parked in a handicap spot near the door. 

It's so boringly predictable that you'd look right past any of the places that suit what you expect to be other's versions of "acceptable" tex-mex in an attempt to lampoon two of the ones that, shockingly, might be unpopular food takes. People have been bitching about Chuy's as they walk in and out of it on the regular since it opened its first door in Austin 30+ years ago. I already established that there is almost zero bad tex-mex in my opinion. 

I bet you're a blast at parties when you bring your own craft cocktail kit and homemade salsa and then inform the room about what you've done as they all unbelievably continue to ignore you and lap up the catered queso and salsa and pour themselves another margarita from the rented machine. You'd never stoop to such gauche maneuvers, and you can't believe your neighbors in Katy actually do. 

I've come around on In and Out v Whataburger.  They opened an In and Out in Allen about 6 years ago. And I though it was awful, esp compared to Whataburger. But in the last year, the service and quality at Whataburger has become pretty bad. The In and Out has gotten alot better

Edited by Jameslaw121
  • Hook 'Em 1

I still haven't eaten at In & Out.  I don't think I'm missing much. 

You aren’t. And that is a fact, not opinion. I ate at one in Southern California and while not bad, it is nothing special nor better than whataburger. I don’t even think you can get a jalapeño cheeseburger. What kind of commie shit is that?

When In n Out first came to AZ, you woulda thought it was the second coming, all the news kept running articles on it, it was all people talked about, huge lines at all hours once the store opened. I tried it once and my reaction was literally "wtf? People want to eat this shit??" Burger is at least edible, but the worst fries in existence.

Pappadeaux is really good. the lunch shrimp po-boy is fantastic and easily shared (it's huge). 

as someone married to an Ohioan who had to learn to make it from scratch...if you can stop thinking of it as 'chili' vis-a-vis Texas chili, Cincinnati Chili can be delicious. 

i love a hot salsa...but it can be too hot. Enchiladas y Mas is sometimes too hot. i mean, if i can't actually eat it bc it burns all my tastebuds off and i can't taste anything, what good is it?

Rudy's is perfectly fine bbq.

The DQ on Burnet is better than any Whataburger.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 11:36 AM, Hook1997 said:

I’m pretty sure most restaurants are Sysco at this point but they have different levels such as raw chicken breast and pre fried chicken breast you microwave.  Chuy’s is not the latter I can guarantee but Casa Ole 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Correct.  Sysco has increased levels of quality. 

Their in-house brands (order of lowest to highest quality):

Sysco Reliance

Sysco Classic

Sysco Supreme

Sysco Imperial

There are also heat-and-eat options that tons of restaurants use.  There are also those that buy high quality Sysco branded items, and prepare their dishes in a more traditional culinary fashion.  You will find Sysco (or US Foods, PFG, Gordon's) items in the lowest-grade heat-n-serve joints, to the Pappas restaurants.  It's still about choosing product quality and type of preparation.

And say what you will about Chuy's, the Boom Boom Enchiladas are fucking delicious.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Correct.  Sysco has increased levels of quality. 

Their in-house brands (order of lowest to highest quality):

Sysco Reliance

Sysco Classic

Sysco Supreme

Sysco Imperial

There are also heat-and-eat options that tons of restaurants use.  There are also those that buy high quality Sysco branded items, and prepare their dishes in a more traditional culinary fashion.  You will find Sysco (or US Foods, PFG, Gordon's) items in the lowest-grade heat-n-serve joints, to the Pappas restaurants.  It's still about choosing product quality and type of preparation.

And say what you will about Chuy's, the Boom Boom Enchiladas are fucking delicious.

I feel like I'm on a shitty field trip.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I prefer day old cold refrigerated brisket to brisket just got finished

If you'll allow me to expound on that: "fresh" brisket is awesome, but I like it even more as repurposed leftovers--brisket tacos, brisket enchiladas, brisket quesadillas, and brisket ramen. They're all fucking amazing and an improvement on something that is already great.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

If you'll allow me to expound on that: "fresh" brisket is awesome, but I like it even more as repurposed leftovers--brisket tacos, brisket enchiladas, brisket quesadillas, and brisket ramen. They're all fucking amazing and an improvement on something that is already great.

Yes, this is kinda what I meant. I also like just grabbing a chunk straight out of the fridge too

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Ben E K > US Foods > Restaurant Depot > Sysco. 

Sysco has many more prime beef and Wagyu providers and services way more high end restaurants then Ben E K, same for seafood.   I don’t think Ben E K has Wagyu providers last I heard.

FD04D7DF-CECD-42F4-99C2-EDDE8FDDF8C8.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Sometimes it’s personal. 

Lol no I just go by what I’ve heard from people in the biz that Ben E K is more low end chains/mom and pop places is their nitch.   Sysco has a much better selection of high end fine dining options so they serve a lot bigger majority of them.  So surprised to see them last on a list.  

On 3/18/2021 at 9:43 PM, Enchubben said:

I’ve heard of ass men, I’ve heard of tits men, but a thigh man? #teamtits

I realize you were just making a really weak joke, but seriously if you’ve never heard of a leg man, youre an ostrich and you’re dismissing 1/3 of the best parts of the female anatomy. 

On 3/19/2021 at 12:31 PM, mchookem said:

Pappadeaux is really good. the lunch shrimp po-boy is fantastic and easily shared (it's huge). 

as someone married to an Ohioan who had to learn to make it from scratch...if you can stop thinking of it as 'chili' vis-a-vis Texas chili, Cincinnati Chili can be delicious. 

i love a hot salsa...but it can be too hot. Enchiladas y Mas is sometimes too hot. i mean, if i can't actually eat it bc it burns all my tastebuds off and i can't taste anything, what good is it?

Rudy's is perfectly fine bbq.

The DQ on Burnet is better than any Whataburger.

Cincinnati chili is fucking trash. And it would be trash even if it was called something else, like Cincinnati Delight or Cincinnati Noodle Stew. Your post fits 

It's odd to me that people have strong opinions about food service companies, but here we are. My opinion of them depended on where my various family members were working at the time. They worked for all of them. Free samples of assorted fried shit at all times didn't suck in high school.