Sunglasses

Any good recommendations? I'm tired of buying expensive pairs only to have them ripped off my head by the toddler and broken. 3 criteria the new ones must meet:

1 Polarized

2 Somewhat cheap (probably getting 2 or 3)

3 Comfortable (those 90s neon shades kill my ears)

I won’t wear cheap sunglasses.

Now, I was a Wayfarer guy for decades and ruined dozens of them.

I found a nice pair of Oakley’s, similar to ray bans and i knew nothing about Oakley’s.

One day I was wrestling with the dog and rolled over in my shades. Ray bans would have been ruined.

The Oakley’s broke apart as designed, and I snapped them back together

I’ve been an Oakley guy ever since

• Like 1

What Gil said.  I purchased cheap glasses for years.  Within weeks, they'd get scratched or bent so far out of shape as to be unwearable.

About a year and a half ago, I finally bit the bullet and purchased some Ray Bans.  Not a scratch; not a bend.  When I'm indoors, I fold them over the top of my shirt (under my chin).  There have been times - like the other night - where I've had them on for a long while, forgotten about them, then found them still on my shirt several hours later.  I.E. they stay where they should.

I know you're asking for recs; however, I'd stick with a good pair over 3 cheaper pairs myself.

sorry your cheap sunglass thread got hijacked with expensive sunglass talk (i'd suggest checking out Luke Duke's link)

i've had a pair of original wayfarers for almost 4 years and like the way they fit and the shape but am intrigued by costa lenses.  has anyone had both copras and original wayfarers (and is able to compare/contrast as far as the size and shape)?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I know you're asking for recs; however, I'd stick with a good pair over 3 cheaper pairs myself.

A two year old does not respect sunglasses on face, shirt, or head.  Everything is fair game to be thrown, eaten, or ripped apart.  Hence the need for cheapness at this stage of my sunglasses need.  (FWIW, my previous 3 pairs were Raybans and Maui Jims -- I'm not paying that again until I have grown kids)

5 hours ago, luke duke said:

Shady Rays

https://shadyrays.com/

[/thread]

This rec is suspicious.  They have been blowing up my facebook page for weeks with this brand.  Do you have some and are they legit?  I like the idea that they float for the lake

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spur08 said:

A two year old does not respect sunglasses on face, shirt, or head.  Everything is fair game to be thrown, eaten, or ripped apart.  Hence the need for cheapness at this stage of my sunglasses need.  (FWIW, my previous 3 pairs were Raybans and Maui Jims -- I'm not paying that again until I have grown kids)

This rec is suspicious.  They have been blowing up my facebook page for weeks with this brand.  Do you have some and are they legit?  I like the idea that they float for the lake

I bought 2 off of the same Facebook ad about 1.5 years ago. I’ve been very pleased. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Recommend Nordstrom Rack for affordable shades. If you want a nice/designer pair they mark them down pretty well. They also have a lot of good looking, pretty well built stuff in the $30-$50 range. 

Lol.   Did you happen to click a banner ad that was probably generated by this discussion?   I did and you are correct, Nordstrom Rack has some great buys.   

15 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Lol.   Did you happen to click a banner ad that was probably generated by this discussion?   I did and you are correct, Nordstrom Rack has some great buys.   

Nah man Rack is a go to of mine. Especially for shoes. I lost my last pair of shades and went by earlier today because I had like $25 left on a gift card. 

They have a pretty good shirt selection too - I've gotten a couple of really nice Brooks Brothers oxfords there for like $40 each. 

Guest Lobo

Yeah, what's the story on all these new disruption sites where you basically can quit paying the Luxxotica markups?  I assume you can still find a lens/frame style that fits your Rx, then order a few sets---see what you like, and then take the winner into somewhere and have them pop in your particular rig?  

16 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Knockaround’s are $25 for polarized and has a few different models. 

came here to make this recommendation - these guys are nice, you can buy from them or via amazon for a few bucks more if you need them quickly, with a number of different options and you don't feel bad if they get broken/scratched/someone borrows them and doesn't give them back/etc

I'll pile on with the Costas on steepandcheap recommendation.  Be sure to check their parent site backcountry.com as well, as occasionally they may be even a little cheaper.  Also, if you play the credit cards rewards game, both sites offer multiple points/$ on some portals.

Edited by Damor
Dammit, assholes. You just made me order some more.
  • Like 1

I have costa's and m. jim's and both are great with terrific customer service/warranty.  However, op said cheap so i would say foster grant, body glove, etc at academy is your answer.  for $20-30 you have usable sunglasses that you dont care if they drop to the bottom of the lake.  I have 2-3 pairs in my truck for the hellofit. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Damor said:

I'll pile on with the Costas on steepandcheap recommendation.  Be sure to check their parent site backcountry.com as well, as occasionally they may be even a little cheaper.  Also, if you play the credit cards rewards game, both sites offer multiple points/$ on some portals.

If you buy from Backcountry through Active Junky you can get 8% cash back.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chesthair said:

I have costa's and m. jim's and both are great with terrific customer service/warranty.  However, op said cheap so i would say foster grant, body glove, etc at academy is your answer.  for $20-30 you have usable sunglasses that you dont care if they drop to the bottom of the lake.  I have 2-3 pairs in my truck for the hellofit. 

I called when I lost a nose pad, and they just asked for my address and shipped them to me at no charge. My brother's dog got ahold of his, and they "repaired" them fairly cheaply and sent them back with several doggie biscuits. I'd see about sending in the Maui Jim's for repair before I bought something new. Just a thought for the OP.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 8:07 AM, luke duke said:

Shady Rays

https://shadyrays.com/

This, since you said cheap and costa aint that.  We've purchased about a half dozen styles from there and I've used their no-questions asked warranty (break, stolen, lost, they don't give a shit) to replace a pair for only the cost of shipping.  And honestly, their lenses (polycarbonate blend I'm assuming) aren't half bad compared to some plastic cheapies I've had.  

Just to sweeten the already cheap deal, PM me with your email addy and I think I can get you $15 off.  I haven't checked my account there in a bit.   

Edited by deft

I needed good but cheap sunglasses that I could wear over my prescription glasses that I need to drive. I quit buying expensive sunglasses because they usually break just as easily, or I'll leave them somewhere, or someone will decide they need them more than I do.  I tried the TacFlip sunglasses and LOVE them and I have bought two more since then and keep one in each vehicle.  I still have other sunglasses (Oakleys from when I was in Iraq) that are ok for working out in the yard but the TacFlip sunglasses are perfect for my needs when driving

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bell-Howell-Tac-Glasses-Sunglasses-Glare-Enhance-Colors-ASTV-Cycling-A1/333153800362?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 

• Like 1

recommendations based on a brand only is dumb.  also expensive glasses do NOT correlate with any measure of quality.  it is brand equity and luxury pricing, period.  theres minute differences in optical quality at the high end, but sunglasses are pretty much ubiquitous and commoditized.  as long as you avoid the <10$ ones, just buy whatever styling and size fits you.  REi has a decent selection for good price

On 6/4/2019 at 9:21 AM, IDIOTsavant said:

I called when I lost a nose pad, and they just asked for my address and shipped them to me at no charge. My brother's dog got ahold of his, and they "repaired" them fairly cheaply and sent them back with several doggie biscuits. I'd see about sending in the Maui Jim's for repair before I bought something new. Just a thought for the OP.

my maui jims do not seem as dark as my glass ray bans were.  might be about as dark as plastic ray bans . 

On 6/5/2019 at 5:07 PM, TexasGary said:

Costco

They have good prices on name brand sunglasses but they also have their own brand (Kirkland).  I think they were around $25 - $30 per pair.  The lenses are polarized.

got my maui jims there for $90.  selection for anything name brand (luxxotica, etc.) varies a lot so you have to keep looking at costco.  it's all close outs and last year's models.  

recommendations based on a brand only is dumb.  also expensive glasses do NOT correlate with any measure of quality.  it is brand equity and luxury pricing, period.  theres minute differences in optical quality at the high end, but sunglasses are pretty much ubiquitous and commoditized.  as long as you avoid the

Truth. I ordered two identical pairs of Rx Ray Bans a couple years ago. One is fine but the quality of the other is garbage. Earpiece is permanently bent, lenses pop out constantly, etc. Luxottica's solution to problems like this is to point you toward Lens Crafters or whatever shitty place they own in the mall where some high school kid making $8 an hour can try to fix them for you.

I'm not buying any Luxottica products ever again if I can avoid it. It's really insane how much of the market they control. Not just the actual glasses, but retail, online, and even deals with insurance cos.

On 6/4/2019 at 11:40 PM, Soldierhorn said:

I needed good but cheap sunglasses that I could wear over my prescription glasses that I need to drive. I quit buying expensive sunglasses because they usually break just as easily, or I'll leave them somewhere, or someone will decide they need them more than I do.  I tried the TacFlip sunglasses and LOVE them and I have bought two more since then and keep one in each vehicle.  I still have other sunglasses (Oakleys from when I was in Iraq) that are ok for working out in the yard but the TacFlip sunglasses are perfect for my needs when driving

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bell-Howell-Tac-Glasses-Sunglasses-Glare-Enhance-Colors-ASTV-Cycling-A1/333153800362?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 

Prescription sunglasses are the solution you seek. Used to wear prescription RayBans before I had my eyes nuked. Loved them. 

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Prescription sunglasses are the solution you seek. Used to wear prescription RayBans before I had my eyes nuked. Loved them. 

I have prescription sunglasses; several different types.  The latest pair automatically shades and filters and they work ok walking around and in & out of stores but none of them work very well for driving. The TACFLIP glasses are great for driving; just flip the lens up to read something inside the car or the car dash whenever necessary. 

I ordered some Shady Rays per advice from this thread.   They were the Aviators similar to a pair of Ray Bans I have, but the lense were too fricken big.  So I got on the chat on line with a a CR and they directed me to a smaller pair.   When I said this is would be a good option ,  before I knew I had a return label in my inbox and the notification the new pair was being shipped.   So as far a customer service, they got a returning customer here.  Now will come the performance of the product when I get the replacement pair by Saturday.