Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

34 minutes ago, NoName said:

looks like a screenshot of a screenshot from IT, granted i haven't read IT since before 2022 NSD2, but looks like it is from there?

It is.  I tried to copy the pic but it wouldn't paste.  Took a screenshot because I was on mobile and it looked okay on my flip phone.   I've fixed it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

I am of the opinion that USC and UCLA are hurting themselves by going to the Big 10. I recognize that it's about money but what about the travel that the kids are going to have to deal with. Granted that every so often, Michigan and OSU will come to town but imagine having to travel to Rutgers and Penn ST. It's going to be brutal.

Have you seen who USC has committed at QB and WR right now? Not even including Lane? It does not appear to be hurting them right now. 

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Just watched his highlights. Interesting player. He is playing Qb for his school. He is clearly a good athlete. He can be an excellent player, but hard to project at what position. Kind of kid I understand passing on now and  circling back on in 2/3 years in the portal. I wonder if the portal changes the calculus for kids like this. 

A guy Gary Patterson takes and turns into an all conference player.  He's got his finger prints on our offers and evaluations.

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

I am of the opinion that USC and UCLA are hurting themselves by going to the Big 10. I recognize that it's about money but what about the travel that the kids are going to have to deal with. Granted that every so often, Michigan and OSU will come to town but imagine having to travel to Rutgers and Penn ST. It's going to be brutal.

you really think players have trouble with travel? what fucking century do you live in?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

45 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

you really think players have trouble with travel? what fucking century do you live in?

I am speaking from experience. Flying cross country could be a problem. It's not like getting on a bus and driving to Waco.

ctj, that's not the point. You fly from LA to NYC and its a 4-5 hour flight and you also lose 3 hours. Or how do you get to Happy Valley? It may not be a problem, but it could be. That's my point.

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Are you serious? Flying 3-5 hours each way every other week to play at 9am PT while taking a full college course load is going to get really fucking old really fucking quick.

There's a reason we didn't jump to the B1G and tried to keep the Big 12 together and it wasn't because we had the warm & fuzzies for Oklahoma State and Baylor.

2 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Are you serious? Flying 3-5 hours each way every other week to play at 9am PT while taking a full college course load is going to get really fucking old really fucking quick.

There's a reason we didn't jump to the B1G and tried to keep the Big 12 together and it wasn't because we had the warm & fuzzies for Oklahoma State and Baylor.

Because Deloss was a dumbass and didn't see the future of CFB? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I am speaking from experience. Flying cross country could be a problem. It's not like getting on a bus and driving to Waco.

ctj, that's not the point. You fly from LA to NYC and its a 4-5 hour flight and you also lose 3 hours. Or how do you get to Happy Valley? It may not be a problem, but it could be. That's my point.

Ok, point taken.

Let's consider this as if it was a job offer, because that's basically what it is. There are always going to be candidates that will or won't accept travel as part of the job. Those that won't usually don't apply and if they do are not likely to get out of the travel. A good hiring manager will discuss that part of the position with the candidate before the offer is even made. 

That being said, it may be a point of contention, but it's a small point and not one that most in line to accept the offer would care about. Ask a 18-22 year old kid if they'd mind traveling around the country doing what they love for the next 3-4 years on someone else's dime and see if they have an issue with it. Let us know what you find out.

26 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

The issue isnt really for the basketball or football team. They will be taken care of properly. It is a lot of money to send your baseball team to play shittier school across the country and the other non-revenue sports. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

The issue isnt really for the basketball or football team. They will be taken care of properly. It is a lot of money to send your baseball team to play shittier school across the country and the other non-revenue sports. 

It's really irrelevant.....they'll be making so much more money it doesn't matter. All this talk is stupid.

7 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I don't know about you..but I would love to visit Omaha in November

Yeah I wouldn't want to go to any of those locations during the fall/winter, but I agree that it won't be a point of contention for recruits.

Edited by Bevo14

27 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Because ESPN bribed us with the LHN and we took it

Miami was fucking horrible this year. Straight putrid. They looked exceptionally worse than we did in 2021 at 5-7. They were completely bullied out of games and also lost close games due to idiotic coaching and player mistakes (aggy game for example). No matter how many mercs they buy I don’t see that team being legit any time soon. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just talked to a source who confirmed with me that New Iberia (La.) Westgate four-star safety Derek Williams will sign on Wednesday. Texas is also expecting that to happen. However, a late push from Miami is something to monitor. We'll have more if we get it, but this recruitment is being kept tight-lipped.

Fuck Miami

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just talked to a source who confirmed with me that New Iberia (La.) Westgate four-star safety Derek Williams will sign on Wednesday. Texas is also expecting that to happen. However, a late push from Miami is something to monitor. We'll have more if we get it, but this recruitment is being kept tight-lipped.

Basically since he’s one of the more tight lipped recruits he is one of the few (outside of those who we expect to gone) who they can run the last minute handwringing game over to help put in a sense of drama to the class…

That will be $9.95

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, theBigHen said:

Miami was fucking horrible this year. Straight putrid. They looked exceptionally worse than we did in 2021 at 5-7. They were completely bullied out of games and also lost close games due to idiotic coaching and player mistakes (aggy game for example). No matter how many mercs they buy I don’t see that team being legit any time soon. 

I mean, that sounds EXACTLY like our 2021 at 5-7.

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If I don’t need to be worried about LSU, I’m damn sure not gonna worry about Miami. Fuck OB. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, theBigHen said:

I said this during the Miami and aggy game, but Cristobal and Jimbo are mirror images of each other. Both terrible at everything other than just buying mercenaries. 

I guess Cristobal as at least decent to good at OL development but the point remains. 

• Like 1