Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Screaming and yelling at players used to be not frowned upon.

Hell, I heard Mack used to scream at the players while showering. "Yall cost Greg his job and now you're about to get me fired!!"

From some players I knew the last thing you wanted was to be called into his office

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cochamps said:

And yet nearly every one of his star players from CSF & UT not only turned out for his memorial service, but spoke at it, often through tears.  This leads me to to believe that the “asshole” term is overblown.  And yes, I’ve seen the Linklater video.

I'm sure plenty of players would show up and be brought to tears if Urban died tomorrow. 

52 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

His players loved him though so while he screamed and cussed and was a hardass I don't know about the asshole part.

Maybe not. He was certainly abrasive and didn't put much above winning.

In no way am I trying to disparage Augie. Just commenting that he was a complicated man not without fault. And was beloved and kicked all kinds of ass here despite it.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, jinx said:

The fact that CDC has almost literally said nothing even after that has become a talking point of the media and even his head coach would seem to be very telling.  I just hope he is waiting for the convenient loss to make the decision known.  

But I just don’t see how you fire him if he somehow pulls off a conference championship.  It would figure that he finally wins a conference title once everyone is done with him and Urban is available.  

If you have UM committed to come you sure do fire Herman.  He is just too much trouble.  Flipping off LHN, running on field to fight Gundy, whatever that was that he did at the Mizzu bowl game, his wife on twitter, his personal life, the list goes on and on.  And that's just the things we know about.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

If you have UM committed to come you sure do fire Herman.  He is just too much trouble.  Flipping off LHN, running on field to fight Gundy, whatever that was that he did at the Mizzu bowl game, his wife on twitter, his personal life, the list goes on and on.  And that's just the things we know about.

None of that shit would matter if we were winning. Most people here loved the Mizzou thing at the time because we were kicking their ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm sure plenty of players would show up and be brought to tears if Urban died tomorrow. 

Maybe not. He was certainly abrasive and didn't put much above winning.

In no way am I trying to disparage Augie. Just commenting that he was a complicated man not without fault. And was beloved and kicked all kinds of ass here despite it.

I just remember some of his post game interviews where he was trying to hold it together but he was just so mad and trying not to scream obscenities in Craig Way's face.

"That was...CRAP...what we did today...I don't know what the...HECK...we are doing out here..."

It just made me feel so much better to know the coach was actually more pissed off about the loss than I was.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

remember last year when he said his favorite thanksgiving food was ravioli?

When Herman said this I thought he was trying to be clever and unique, like when he calls a deep ball on 3rd and short. They just both look and sound stupid. 

Edited by MrBig

9 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Lots of consternation in this thread when it's been made pretty clear that the job is Urban's if he wants it and that, if he's not on the Texas sidelines next year, it won't be because of lack of trying by the administration

Yep.  That won't stop a large segment of the fanbase from blaming CDC if Urban doesn't take the job.  

6 hours ago, TXpride said:

Most people here loved the Mizzou thing at the time because we were kicking their ass.

Ugh. I hated it as it was happening. That was kind of the first incident that made think that maybe he wasn't going to be a good fit for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, T-shirt Sip said:

I imagine she's like an officer's wife in the military. She thinks she wears her husband's rank. 

yep.. unfortunately I can't get info on what's happening behind the scenes since they are retiring at the end of the year..  Just know that they have hated the past 4 years dealing with her..not Tom.  The cherry on top was the Bru fiasco while everyone was supposed to be on vacation

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm sure plenty of players would show up and be brought to tears if Urban died tomorrow. Maybe not. He was certainly abrasive and didn't put much above winning. In no way am I trying to disparage Augie. Just commenting that he was a complicated man not without fault. And was beloved and got all kinds of 40/50yr old ass here despite it.

FIFY

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Yes, let’s now attack his wife.

Seriously that's just dumb. Say what you will about his coaching and general attitude about things but no need to bring her into it. She obviously has her husband's back, wow what a huge surprise.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

yep.. unfortunately I can't get info on what's happening behind the scenes since they are retiring at the end of the year..  Just know that they have hated the past 4 years dealing with her..not Tom.  The cherry on top was the Bru fiasco while everyone was supposed to be on vacation

Not everyone gets along.  At one job, on my first day, a colleague told me he wanted them to hire another guy - our relationship went down from there.  Complaining about working on your vacation? What are you, European? 

The best part of it is where he takes the blame and apologizing for failing them.  You know Mensa won't do that.

“Don’t you get it??!!! This isn’t a game, this is about life.” Or something like that.

“I’ve totally failed you.”

Values and expectations, for and of himself and his players, and that produced the results. His anger was based on failure to meet them. Not pride, not ego, not cya, not fear, not money. I’ll take people like that in my life anyday. That’s pure greatness. Herman will never play at Augie’s level. Never. Meyer yes. Now CDC make the hire.
  • Hook 'Em 4

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic