1. Franklin- The goat

2. Pinkertons- ribs and he’s a huge horn fan, always on IT

3. Snows BBQ- Worth the wait and gotta meet miss Tootsie

4. Terry Blacks- Brisket and beef ribs and typically no wait

5. Tejas Chocolate- Chile relleno sausage is the best in Texas

6. La barbecue- great brisket

7. Truth BBQ- number three in Houston for me

8. Coopers- always a winner

9. Feges BBQ- you’ve probably never heard of them but they are incredible. My office gets them catered once a week. If you’re in Houston hit them up, rona hurt them bad

10. My house- all of surly is welcome...well mostly all

Another good one, for you guys that may not be familiar with, is Church BBQ which is in Huntsville. It’s run by the folks from the New Zion Missionary Baptist Church that’s located next door to it. Everyone refers to it as “The Church of the Holy Smoke”. Texas Monthly has done write ups on it when covering some of the best BBQ joints in Texas to check out. It’s good.

Fuck! Did not see the post above. It’s closed? Dammit. Never mind.

Edited by Wishbone
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Stiles Switch, LA BBQ and Valentina’s are pretty decent BBQ spots in Austin that don’t have a crazy ridiculous line. 

Yes, sir, they are.

And someone upthread mentioned my personal favorite in Austin: Terry Black's on Barton Springs.  Excellent meats and even during the lunch rush that line moves and you can be in and out in half an hour.

I'll do Franklin once or twice a year, but I hit Terry Black's once a month like clockwork.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Real Deal Holyfield at Valentina’s is the best breakfast taco in the country.

It's incredible, but it's hard to judge it against a traditional "breakfast taco" typically consisting of eggs, cheese, and a protein or potatoes or whatever that you would get at a normal taco joint. It's so much more, and feels like it's in its own category. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

excuse me?

No

• Leroy and Lewis?
  • 2M?
  • Bodacious?
  • Cattleack?

Coopers has got to be based on memory because that place isn't even as good as any of the places in Lockhart.

-never been

-went once and it was good just not top ten

-never been

-never been

and ya coopers was damn near a decade ago when I had it

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

I've always wanted to go to Snows after they had that show about the best barbeque in america on netflix. I'm lazy and covid was a good enough reason to not drive out. Worth the hype?

Yes idiot. 

Now you can parlay snows Saturday morning into bretts after since it’s 20 min away 

3 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

For sentimental reasons, this will always be my favorite. Can't believe they closed.

spacer.png

You are correct. Would easily be on my top ten! They tried reopening not long ago but it was nowhere near the same. Terrible unimaginable loss

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Another good one, for you guys that may not be familiar with, is Church BBQ which is in Huntsville. It’s run by the folks from the New Zion Missionary Baptist Church that’s located next door to it. Everyone refers to it as “The Church of the Holy Smoke”. Texas Monthly has done write ups on it when covering some of the best BBQ joints in Texas to check out. It’s good.

It closed awhile back. Not sure if they are open or not currently but it’s not the same

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

It's incredible, but it's hard to judge it against a traditional "breakfast taco" typically consisting of eggs, cheese, and a protein or potatoes or whatever that you would get at a normal taco joint. It's so much more, and feels like it's in its own category. 

Oh shit, here comes the debate about whether eggs are necessary to call it a breakfast taco...they're not.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I've always wanted to go to Snows after they had that show about the best barbeque in america on netflix. I'm lazy and covid was a good enough reason to not drive out. Worth the hype?

We had some shipped to us and it was outstanding, can only imagine how much better it is in person. 

With this thread, I've crossed some kind of invisible line. I feel as if I've come to a place I never thought I'd have to come to. And I don't know how I got here. It's a strange place. It's a place where a little harmless drinking, and then some mindless internet posting, has led me into considerations of death and annihilation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, immamac said:

I always have a panic attack after I get done with a call and I haven't looked at the thread for an hour because it's added 5-10 pages and I think I missed the announcement. 

Then I have to read all fucking posts because I'm a moderator so it takes me another hour to catch up lol.

I'll be a moderator for bout tree fiddy an hour.  No decimal point.

4 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

yes but who wants to GET to Lexington at 530a?

better off getting Franklin to go

(watch the Chef's Table on Tootsie, its phenomenal)

35 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

***One source offered their sense of the situation saying that it’s their belief that right now Urban is trying to talk himself into it but that he may not really want to get back into coaching just yet. Source added, “that’s a lot of money (to turn down)”.

I have a hard time believing he's still in the decision making process. It's not like he just started considering whether to coach again on Monday morning, I'm sure he's been thinking about it and discussing with his family what the circumstances would look like for him to come back since the day he stepped down at OSU. He's known Texas was going to likely come knocking since we lost to TCU. He's gotten the biggest contract offer in the history of college football and assurances that he'll get all the institutional support that he asks for. 

He knows, he has to at this point. Whether he's told anyone on either side IDK but non of this has just been sprung on him this week and he's scrambling to make sense of it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I enjoyed my brisket at the original Black’s in Lockhart. The Terry Black’s on Barton Springs isn’t bad for “fast food” BBQ. 

In Fort Worth, Heim’s has the best brisket, but the location is a little trendy. Ambience is much better at the Railhead and Angelo’s, but the brisket wasn’t as moist. All worth a try if you are in town. 

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

-never been

-went once and it was good just not top ten

-never been

-never been

and ya coopers was damn near a decade ago when I had it

Fair enough but Leroy & Lewis is serving up some of the best BBQ in Texas - full stop. you NEED to go there next time you are in Austin.

Coopers has dropped off of a cliff over the last 5 years, it's just not at all good. not even the best in Llano anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I don't live up there any longer.  When I was growing up, Country Tavern was ass.

The best place around here (Tyler area), by far, is Bodacious on Mobberly in Longview...it's not even close.  Everything there is top notch.

Country Tavern ribs are okay, but Stanley's ribs are better.  Stanley's sandwiches, especially the Mother Clucker, are strong, but the brisket isn't nearly as good as Bodacious Mobberley.

Pat G's is okay and a fun/different experience, especially if you are nostalgic about it like I am, but the food is average at best.

Or, there's always the McRib, of course.

Edited by hobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, RGBIII said:

It closed awhile back. Not sure if they are open or not currently but it’s not the same

Haven’t been there for a while. I loved that place. Got to know the pastor and his wife. Great folks. Always expected to fall through the floor or have the roof drop on me when in there. Now that’s a BBQ joint! 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic