Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

If not Samsung, what kind of fridge are we supposed to buy that hasn’t been enshittified?

We just replaced our 7 year old Samsung from hell. I'll never buy one again. 

Seems my research said LG or GE. We went with a GE Profile my wife fell in love with.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

We just replaced our 7 year old Samsung from hell. I'll never buy one again. 

Seems my research said LG or GE. We went with a GE Profile my wife fell in love with.

Bought a Samsung refrigerator in 2006 and replaced it in 2008.  It was the biggest piece of shit I've ever purchased.  I'll never own anything from Samsung again. 

This is the coffee maker where I work. Without fail people will leave less than one cup of coffee in the pot, often time less than a cup in both pots combined. So if you want a cup then you have to finish off what is there and then wait for another pot to make.

It is not hard to make coffee. If you are depleting the volume in a pot to less than a cup, then simply remove the old grounds and filter and replace it before you walk away. No need to add water since it is hard plumbed in. The coffee can brew unattended and be ready for the next person.

image.thumb.jpeg.3742dce7ed4969a720c9138281b928eb.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Bought a Samsung refrigerator in 2006 and replaced it in 2008.  It was the biggest piece of shit I've ever purchased.  I'll never own anything from Samsung again. 

We should have done that. But I'm cheap, so I would take it apart and fix it, once or twice a year. Finally had something break that I couldn't fix myself. Jumped on the opportunity to replace.

10 minutes ago, nnm said:

30 years ago, it was my first day on the job. It was a small company.  I showed up early and the receptionist let me in.  They had a coffee machine exactly like this, as had my previous employer.  At my previous employer, there wasn't a direct water line, so you filled the reservoir with a coffee pot full of water and then brewed.

Seeking to make a good impression, I made coffee exactly as I thought it should be done.  I filled the reservoir with a pot full of water, put the filter and coffee in, pressed brew, and went on about my business.

Because there WAS a direct water line into the machine at this new employer, the machine proceeded to pump the regular amount of water, plus the extra pot that I put in the reservoir, through the filter.  There was coffee all over the kitchen.

Way to make a first impression!

At least you were trying!

• Like 1

30 years ago, it was my first day on the job. It was a small company.  I showed up early and the receptionist let me in.  They had a coffee machine exactly like this, as had my previous employer.  At my previous employer, there wasn't a direct water line, so you filled the reservoir with a coffee pot full of water and then brewed.
Seeking to make a good impression, I made coffee exactly as I thought it should be done.  I filled the reservoir with a pot full of water, put the filter and coffee in, pressed brew, and went on about my business.
Because there WAS a direct water line into the machine at this new employer, the machine proceeded to pump the regular amount of water, plus the extra pot that I put in the reservoir, through the filter.  There was coffee all over the kitchen.
Is this from Reader's Digest?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

20 minutes ago, nnm said:

Definite grounds for improvement.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sandman said:

As a non-coffee drinker, I can't believe the amount of whining and crying from bitch-ass coffee drinkers at every job I've ever had. "Were's the coffee? Are we out? Where will I put my creamer? Why hasn't the coffee guy came yet? The machine is broken, the office needs to pay for a new one ASAP!!". Once, our director asked if we should use the "Friday Jeans" fund to pay for a new Keurig, since the old one broke. I said what do the non-coffee people get? Nothing was the answer, so I voted no out of spite. 

you get not having to listen to the coffee babies crying about the broke Keurig. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

This is the coffee maker where I work. Without fail people will leave less than one cup of coffee in the pot, often time less than a cup in both pots combined. So if you want a cup then you have to finish off what is there and then wait for another pot to make.

It is not hard to make coffee. If you are depleting the volume in a pot to less than a cup, then simply remove the old grounds and filter and replace it before you walk away. No need to add water since it is hard plumbed in. The coffee can brew unattended and be ready for the next person.

Looks like a Kwik-Kar Oil & Lube breakroom tbh

Edited by BeardIP
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

What the hell is Friday Jeans fund? Corporate wreath fund?

Stupid office shit like that makes me surly.

We used to be "Business casual" with jeans allowed on friday if you donate a buck. That went away a few years ago and now it's jeans errrry day.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Looks like a Kwik-Kar Oil & Lube breakroom tbh

Functional if not fancy.  We are moving into a new corporate office in 3 weeks.  We will pretty much have to check our shoes at the door in the new "state-of-the-art" facility.  We will all now have 6x8 cubicles to promote "collaboration".  Not a fan particularly since I have had an office with a window and door for about 30 years now.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

2 hours ago, nnm said:

And now nnm is the CEO of a large American corporation.   The Peter Principle at work.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2024 at 2:54 PM, slorch said:

Related:  5AM flight this morning.  2 different random pairs who just met on the plane, just yammering on about nothing important for 45min/ hour.

Small talk is a waste of time.  Hearing others do it is even more painful.   Shut your pie hole and stop droning on for crisake.

Fucking this….

Fucking robocallers are back, except now they're leaving voicemails containing their whole fucking schtick. Fuck you!
I screen every single call that isn't in my contacts list. I'll then look up the number. If it isn't a legit business, it gets blocked. Leave a voicemail and it's scam, blocked. They have picked up for me in the past few weeks, too.

23 hours ago, GopherRock said:

Fucking robocallers are back, except now they're leaving voicemails containing their whole fucking schtick. Fuck you!

Glad I'm not the only one.  It's been relentless the past 5-6 days.  I either get "you have unpaid taxes" or what sounds like 1:30 of dial up modem noises.

On 2/21/2024 at 12:23 PM, Paco said:
On 2/21/2024 at 12:10 PM, nnm said:

Is this from Reader's Digest?

No, it's from "Brown Nose Weekly".

• Haha 1

“All the sudden, . . .”

followed closely by 

“All of the sudden, . . .”;

phrases which no one ever wrote, read or said until the 70s.

Now these spoken phrases are showing up on local news and happy talk segues and any podcast. I’ve yet to see either in actual print.

Please, just make it stop.

• Rage+1 1

On 2/21/2024 at 9:56 AM, mininghorn88 said:

Triggering pic. Years ago I went into an account and the purchasing agent was on the phone. She told me to get a cup of coffee and wait. They had one of these that hadn't been cleaned in a long while. The pot was stuck to the burner and when I pulled on the handle the pot broke. I poured an entire pot of boiling coffee on me that hit about 2" below my nuts and down my leg. My skin peeled like 3 ply toilet paper. 3rd degree burns and I still have scars on my legs. I hate these with a passion. Definitely make me surly.

• Rage+1 4

On 2/22/2024 at 11:39 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Glad I'm not the only one.  It's been relentless the past 5-6 days.  I either get "you have unpaid taxes" or what sounds like 1:30 of dial up modem noises.

Every time you pick up, and hear a beep, then someone from Bangladesh introduces themselves as Dave or Mike or some other really American name.  Then they get mad when you ask for their Indian name...

On 2/21/2024 at 9:56 AM, mininghorn88 said:

I hate the idea of these.  Mary Jo over in Accounting who's been knuckle deep in her left nostril shows up and runs out of coffee, so she uses the booger hook hand to reload the coffee maker?!  Yeah, no thanks.  The main advantage of the single-serve coffee machines: no nasty hands touching stuff that who knows when it was last cleaned.

• Haha 2

Pull up to the atm and bitch in the Volvo is standing at the atm and once she has her money decides to take her sweet ass time to leave.  I’ll give anyone the benefit of putting away their cash but after a few minutes at least move up or out of the way. 
IMG_7591.thumb.jpeg.f7eae888ffcb310cf894f0839af4af53.jpeg

• Rage+1 4

4 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

The main advantage of the single-serve coffee machines: no nasty hands touching stuff that who knows when it was last cleaned.

They can still get nasty, though. I cleaned out the drip tray on our keurig the other day. There wasn't not any mold in it.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Cheap people.  For example:

Adults that try to order off the kids me u

I’m at the airport and this guy just tried to order half a pint.  

Was he a fucking hobbit?

On the food though. I wish more places smaller lunch portions. I don't like eating much for lunch because it makes me tired. Half a BLT is perfect for me. But most sit down restaurants really don't have that type of stuff anymore

1 minute ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Was he a fucking hobbit?

On the food though. I wish more places smaller lunch portions. I don't like eating much for lunch because it makes me tired. Half a BLT is perfect for me. But most sit down restaurants really don't have that type of stuff anymore

Regular size guy.  

as for food, there’s senior and kids menus and it’s ok to split a meal imo, but you can also take the other gal of the blt Togo?  

• Hook 'Em 1

People who take up the right lane (without a right turn only) when there's none or 1  or < than a light cycle worth of cars in the left lane.

Jesus Christ.

You should be Hanged, drawn, and quartered.

Today, I saw the GOAT of total assholes when, I kid you not, they came to a light and changed to the right lane.... only to sit at said light and then drive straight ahead when the light was green.

I mean... WTF.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Regular size guy.  

as for food, there’s senior and kids menus and it’s ok to split a meal imo, but you can also take the other gal of the blt Togo?  

I travel for work alot, so splitting it in half and taking it to go doesn't work often. I used to do that a bunch when I did sales in the morning, lunch, then back to the office. Split it half for two lunches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

People who take up the right lane (without a right turn only) when there's none or 1  or < than a light cycle worth of cars in the left lane.

Jesus Christ.

You should be Hanged, drawn, and quartered.

Today, I saw the GOAT of total assholes when, I kid you not, they came to a light and changed to the right lane.... only to sit at said light and then drive straight ahead when the light was green.

I mean... WTF.

I totally get it but sometimes the next turn is like 80 feet away and I’m not sure I can get in from left lane without killing my self 

Speaking of batteries.  Has any smoke detector or CO/CO2 detector battery low beep ever gone off during business hours?  

Once again, was having sleep issues on Thursday night.  Finally fell back to sleep about 1:00am to have the fucking chirping going off at 1:30am.  I mean, yes we're most vulnerable to being smoked to death in our sleep, but do the fucking batteries not respect banking hours or what the fuck?  

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

52 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Speaking of batteries.  Has any smoke detector or CO/CO2 detector battery low beep ever gone off during business hours?  

Once again, was having sleep issues on Thursday night.  Finally fell back to sleep about 1:00am to have the fucking chirping going off at 1:30am.  I mean, yes we're most vulnerable to being smoked to death in our sleep, but do the fucking batteries not respect banking hours or what the fuck?  

Science. Battery voltage is affected by ambient temps. Ambient temp drops to its lowest point right at the most inconvenient time of the night.

Well in our house, the ambient temperature is the lowest around 6-8am, as it is on the planet our house is located.  But these fucking things only trigger from 12-4am.  

Also, I had a battery voltage, temperature, time of night joke about somebody's mom.  But I lost my dildo-train of thought.  DAMMIT, I had something for this.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Packaging on 2032 batteries (the ones that look like a quarter). Got damn these things are insane to get into. 

Kitchen scissors, the tough motherfuckers.

or tin snips.😁