Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

I expect him to declare an emergency, suspend the constitution, disband congress, and install himself as supreme commander for life. Only the house of representatives would complain, and his supreme court would comply. We're all fucked.

2 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

This is white privilege on full display right in front of us. No black politician could get away with this level of incompetency. The man can barely read and has a 4th grade vocabulary yet is president of the United States.

yeah, we know. thanks for the update.

• Like 2

I had to turn that shit off.  I can't believe that anyone would watch that and see anything but bumbling incompetence.  In the section I watched, he claimed we were leading the world in fighting this, refused to take responsibility for the fact that we're not fighting this, both talked about it being serious and claiming it was no big deal and would be over soon, and then claimed the way Obama dealt with the swine flu was worse.  

Its clear at this point that those who are still with Trump are with him because they have forgotten how to think, or else they never learned how to to begin with.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I had to turn that shit off.  I can't believe that anyone would watch that and see anything but bumbling incompetence.  In the section I watched, he claimed we were leading the world in fighting this, refused to take responsibility for the fact that we're not fighting this, both talked about it being serious and claiming it was no big deal and would be over soon, and then claimed the way Obama dealt with the swine flu was worse.  

Its clear at this point that those who are still with Trump are with him because they have forgotten how to think, or else they never learned how to to begin with.

99.9% sure it's the latter

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

99.9% sure it's the latter

I have a friend with a PhD in chemistry, and I know him to be a very intelligent dude.

He refuses to accept any facts that implicate Trump.

The takeaway:  IQ does not equal wisdom, and emotional bias can overrun hard facts in many people for whom one would expect that to be impossible.  It's fucking sad.  We're parting ways.  I'm too old for that kind of drag on my soul.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I have a friend with a PhD in chemistry, and I know him to be a very intelligent dude.

The takeaway:  IQ does not equal wisdom, and emotional bias can overrun hard facts in many people for whom one would expect that to be impossible.  It's fucking sad.  We're parting ways.  I'm too old for that kind of drag on my soul.

good. we all have to distance ourselves from toxic people, even if they're family. mine is finally coming around to see the light.

• Like 1

I have the same situation with many “professional” friends. Highly educated people that have their heads up their asses. I just don’t get it. All you have to do is read Trump’s twitter feed to immediately recognize he’s a complete moron, a serial liar, with a lack of ethics to match. How can people be so gullible?
  • Like 3

Dp

If we ever needed to hear a better encapsulation of an entire generation, Dotard standing up there and saying he takes no responsibility for any of this debacle, one that will cost many people their life due to inaction, this was it today. What a selfish generation of people led by the circus sideshow ringmaster himself.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

True.  Some people choose a side, that they believe in....initially, and then refuse to change...regardless of the facts that prove them wrong.  I’m not sure what this is called, but it exists.  The ability to accept incoming new facts, process it, and adjust your choices truly shows how intelligent you are.  Guess some people just don’t want to admit their initial choice was flawed.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a31283098/president-trump-coronavirus-response/

Is this enough? Truly, is this enough for the country that looked at itself after eight years of a competent presidency and decided to hand things over to a vulgar talking yam? Are the vacant airports and deserted subways enough? Will the empty arenas and ballparks be enough? Is the plunging stock market enough? When the ambulances start hauling away the old folks down the block, will that be enough? How in god’s name can anyone vote for four more years of this, four more years of a choleric fatburg of a man who calls a press conference about a global health emergency and asks a reporter for Fox News how the ratings were for his last town hall? How does that man carry a precinct, let alone a state, let alone the country? Christ, even Ted Cruz is doing the right thing here.

Instead, we have scientists standing around him at the CDC, nodding in unison at the president*’s idiocies. We have the surgeon general on television, telling an astonished George Stephanopoulos that the president* is in better shape than he is, despite the obvious fact that the president* is entering Mr. Creosote territory. There are rising calls now for the declaration of a national emergency. Which raises a terrifying question: do you want this president* and this executive branch declaring a national emergency, with all the special powers that entails? Hand sanitizer and fist-bumps seem a lot safer.

17 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

True.  Some people choose a side, that they believe in....initially, and then refuse to change...regardless of the facts that prove them wrong.  I’m not sure what this is called, but it exists.  The ability to accept incoming new facts, process it, and adjust your choices truly shows how intelligent you are.  Guess some people just don’t want to admit their initial choice was flawed.

Krugman pointed out this phenomenon around 3 years ago in one of his columns.

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

If we ever needed to hear a better encapsulation of an entire generation, Dotard standing up there and saying he takes no responsibility for any of this debacle, one that will cost many people their life due to inaction, this was it today. What a selfish generation of people led by the circus sideshow ringmaster himself.

As soon as they asked the question, I knew what his answer would be. And then that narcissist said it. Such a small, petty man. He's a national disgrace. 

16 hours ago, Bookman said:

Anyone who thought in 2015/2016 that Trump is a "businessman" is a fucking moron and really should consider never voting again.

Voting for Trump because he's a "businessman" is like voting for him because he's a young black female.

And why did black people vote for obama? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

It really is amazing that the greatest generation we ever had, eventually in part raised by far the shitiest generation we ever had.

And if any member of the shitiest generation present here wants to argue with that, my only retort will simply be, you elected Donal Trump to be the president of the United States. Therefore, you are automatically the shittiest generation in all of history. Care to refute? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Krugman pointed out this phenomenon around 3 years ago in one of his columns.

“A man with a conviction is a hard man to change,” Festinger, Henry Riecken, and Stanley Schacter wrote in When Prophecy Fails, their 1957 book about this study. “Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts or figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point … Suppose that he is presented with evidence, unequivocal and undeniable evidence, that his belief is wrong: what will happen? The individual will frequently emerge, not only unshaken, but even more convinced of the truth of his beliefs than ever before.”

This doubling down in the face of conflicting evidence is a way of reducing the discomfort of dissonance, and is part of a set of behaviors known in the psychology literature as “motivated reasoning.” Motivated reasoning is how people convince themselves or remain convinced of what they want to believe—they seek out agreeable information and learn it more easily; and they avoid, ignore, devalue, forget, or argue against information that contradicts their beliefs.

Believers kept on believing, despite all the evidence that they were wrong.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

It really is amazing that the greatest generation we ever had, eventually in part raised by far the shitiest generation we ever had.

And if any member of the shitiest generation present here wants to argue with that, my only retort will simply be, you elected Donal Trump to be the president of the United States. Therefore, you are automatically the shittiest generation in all of history. Care to refute? 

Sadly, all of the olds in my family are Fox news drones.  I assume they voted for Trump.  Any good idea that would benefit is met with "But who will pay for it?"  BTW, that's a Twitter hashtag worth checking out.  It's pretty funny.

2 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

“A man with a conviction is a hard man to change,” Festinger, Henry Riecken, and Stanley Schacter wrote in When Prophecy Fails, their 1957 book about this study. “Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts or figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point … Suppose that he is presented with evidence, unequivocal and undeniable evidence, that his belief is wrong: what will happen? The individual will frequently emerge, not only unshaken, but even more convinced of the truth of his beliefs than ever before.”

This doubling down in the face of conflicting evidence is a way of reducing the discomfort of dissonance, and is part of a set of behaviors known in the psychology literature as “motivated reasoning.” Motivated reasoning is how people convince themselves or remain convinced of what they want to believe—they seek out agreeable information and learn it more easily; and they avoid, ignore, devalue, forget, or argue against information that contradicts their beliefs.

Believers kept on believing, despite all the evidence that they were wrong.

"A man cannot be reasoned out of a position he was not reasoned into."

• Like 6