Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

47 minutes ago, RayDog said:

An acquaintance who is known as Banana Man runs an organization that feeds over 200 kids a day who live in a nearby slum. Today the mayor shut them down because the kids don't have masks and can't maintain social distancing. The mayor did offer to distribute the food if it was given to him. But the mayor had the slum bulldozed in October and he is too busy doing photo ops handing out food packages to families that can afford to own or rent homes or apartments. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Just now, Fastbreak said:

number of cases in Singapore doubled from yesterday’s total. 386 reports.

meanwhile, I spoke to a friend in Chengdu, China today and he says everything almost back to normal. No new cases. 

Chengdu has 16 million people. something is fishy...

But they had 25 million.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jinx said:

So, I've read most of this thread and a lot of the articles and other stuff.  I appreciate the variety of views and information, but I still feel extremely uninformed.  At least this group of idiots knows how to survive a pandemic while still making jokes about our trip through the twilight zone.

Based on my completely uninformed opinion, I have come to the conclusion that:

1 - We stay in our houses and away from each other for about 12 -16 months

or

2 - A large segment of the population is gonna get this thing

Am I wrong?  What portion of time do the Greenspoints of the world think we need to SIP for this thing to leave us alone?  Does anyone want to be the guinea pig for the vaccine?  

I get flattening the curve, but that just stretches the volume of infected over a longer period of time to keep from locking up the health care system.  Count me in the group wondering when our illustrious leadership will come up with a plan.

Ive heard from 3 different people who are law enforcement (city, county, fed) that there's a lot of pressure to start opening things back up as civil unrest is growing, armed robbery spiking.    Many departments initially gave directives to just go after bad stuff and let the rest slide for now in order to limit contact.  Now they are being told to go back to doing their jobs so people behave again.  

Maybe we can get some other takes, @Constant ?   Must be other LEO sources around here

number of cases in Singapore doubled from yesterday’s total. 386 reports. meanwhile, I spoke to a friend in Chengdu, China today and he says everything almost back to normal. No new cases. 

I’ve got a friend that has been quarantining in Melbourne, Australia but lives in Singapore. He and his family are heading back and have to quarantine in a hotel for 14 days before they can go home. I wonder if he knew about this development before he decide to head home.

Edit: and@fastbreak...update your goddamn thread!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

number of cases in Singapore doubled from yesterday’s total. 386 reports.

meanwhile, I spoke to a friend in Chengdu, China today and he says everything almost back to normal. No new cases. 

Maybe all the missing people in Chengdu were OPs who didn't follow up. 

• Like 2

Huge 80-something spike in confirmed cases in Travis County today. Total is now 856, I think.

78748 looks like a real hot spot with 71 cases; SE Austin also has a ton. I wish they gave a few more details, like, did they visit a single store or live in the same complex? Kyle and Buda across the county line have high numbers too.

One of my girlfriends who is from Tarlac which is north of Angeles  just told me one of her next door neighbors died from Covid and authorities are in the process of disinfecting her family's home. She is very upset and afraid for her and her family. I have been sending her money for food occasionally They did go foraging on a nearby mountain and river, but they have been stripped clean. Tarlac is in Tarlac province so she cannot come to Angeles right now but I am sure I will see her again after the lockdown ends.  

Picture in accordance with the rules. Her 19th Birthday was March 21, and I have checked her ID. I will add she is 4' 6" and 37kg with no babies.

spacer.png 

Edited by RayDog

9 minutes ago, RayDog said:

One of my girlfriends who is from Tarlac which is north of Angeles  just told me one of her next door neighbors died from Covid and authorities are in the process of disinfecting her family's home. She is very upset and afraid for her and her family. I have been sending her money for food occasionally They did go foraging on a nearby mountain and river, but they have been stripped clean. Tarlac is in Tarlac province so she cannot come to Angeles right now but I am sure I will see her again after the lockdown ends.  

Picture in accordance with the rules. Her 19th Birthday was March 21, and I have checked her ID.

spacer.png 

Do you ever fantasize about that asshole Chris Hansen intruding on your good times, then shoving that ID in his face?

• Like 4

How do they know it came from a dead body and not just picked up from someone or somewhere else?

Not sure why this is news. We have known for some time that the virus can survive on surfaces for hours if not days.

Are they suggesting it might be shedding into the air rather than surface transmitting?

2 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Ive heard from 3 different people who are law enforcement (city, county, fed) that there's a lot of pressure to start opening things back up as civil unrest is growing, armed robbery spiking.    Many departments initially gave directives to just go after bad stuff and let the rest slide for now in order to limit contact.  Now they are being told to go back to doing their jobs so people behave again.  

Maybe we can get some other takes, @Constant ?   Must be other LEO sources around here

What exactly is your question here? I haven’t seen any civil unrest, but I work a single division in a single city in America, so it could be happening.

The government orders are having an effect on crime. Business burglaries are definitely up because thieves are opportunistic shitheads. Domestic violence is probably through the statistical roof. Child abuse is up, but probably not statistically because most of their out crys are made away from home. So we don’t even know the extent of that problem. 

I limit my contact with the public as much as I possibly can.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Plenty o' jokes but let's get another update in:

Chicago will definitely withstand the surge at this point and this time...this time?   Yes, as in if when we slowly remove shelter at home orders there will likely be some bump, if done properly, it won't overwhelm the hospital systems here.  We are seeing things break down along demographic lines.  NW has literally a couple hundred beds open.  UofC down south is pretty damn packed.  We had seen this in NYC and Detroit and it's fairly obvious here too now. 

We need antibody testing, we all know it.  Right now states have not credentialed these tests at many labs and the FDA has not either.  I don't know all those details/laws but I do know that those tests are NOT adding to our positive totals right now and there's a significant amount of 'unofficial' antibody testing kicking up around the country.  

NW is losing 150M a month.  Mayo stating total losses over 2B expected from C19.  Losing all the electives is a major kick to the balls.  NW and some other hospitals will meet with Pritzker soon to slowly open back up elective procedures/surgicenters etc.  Hopefully dentists and others can open in some capacity May 1 as well. 

The reality is if the healthcare system in an area has capacity, we should slowly open up and closely monitor (testing!) to see how we are faring.  That's how you open up the economy the quickest and safest way.  What France and some others may do by committing to a hard lockdown well into summer does not make medical or financial sense to me.  

Stay healthy, Surly.  

Does the medical community have the PPE to add elective procedures back into the repertoire? Because I doubt many folks are going to be excited to rush back to get their elective surgeries if there are still mask shortages. And I assume all documents signed by patients coveted them getting sick from something else at the hospital, naturally.  I still have a hard time imagining there aren’t going to be lots of suits after the fact here in regards to folks who get sick at hospitals, whether they go anywhere or not. God forbid this jacks up malpractice insurance even further for doctors. 

We are seeing things break down along demographic lines.  NW has literally a couple hundred beds open.  UofC down south is pretty damn packed.  We had seen this in NYC and Detroit and it's fairly obvious here too now. 

Have heard this same thing from a friend in NOLA who works for Oschner.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Does the medical community have the PPE to add elective procedures back into the repertoire? Because I doubt many folks are going to be excited to rush back to get their elective surgeries if there are still mask shortages. And I assume all documents signed by patients coveted them getting sick from something else at the hospital, naturally.  I still have a hard time imagining there aren’t going to be lots of suits after the fact here in regards to folks who get sick at hospitals, whether they go anywhere or not. God forbid this jacks up malpractice insurance even further for doctors. 

Here we do.  I know NW specifically ended up with plenty and they do share with others around here.  That shouldn’t be a problem locally.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Constant said:

What exactly is your question here? I haven’t seen any civil unrest, but I work a single division in a single city in America, so it could be happening.

The government orders are having an effect on crime. Business burglaries are definitely up because thieves are opportunistic shitheads. Domestic violence is probably through the statistical roof. Child abuse is up, but probably not statistically because most of their out crys are made away from home. So we don’t even know the extent of that problem. 

I limit my contact with the public as much as I possibly can.

or crime is down...  

https://time.com/5819507/crime-drop-coronavirus/

14 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

IHME just updated

+6000 US deaths by aug 4.

I think this model sucks.

not speaking specifically to their model or what goes into it but think about how incredibly hard it is to project when you have incomplete data across the board - from when it started truly, to how reporting is done at the state/county level, to false positive (and false negatives!), to the low % of population tested, to lack of reporting out of hospitals re: cases and "recoveries" to the second largest nation reporting having numbers you can't trust at all (China), to the urban/rural divide, to trying to project peaks in places like VA (NOVA/DC vs rest of VA), to idiot governors doing idiot things...

a good model is hard in general but this is even more difficult than normal

• Like 1

Regarding opening back up: I feel like everyone ignores the elephant in the room which is age. This thing is not nearly as big a deal for those under 60 as over. If everyone over 60 could SiP place I feel like the world could largely go back to normal. Yes a lot of people would get it but it would be more like flu season than a deadly virus. There would be exceptions of course.

But it seems like we want to treat everyone like they are the same.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

NW is losing 150M a month.  Mayo stating total losses over 2B expected from C19.  Losing all the electives is a major kick to the balls.  NW and some other hospitals will meet with Pritzker soon to slowly open back up elective procedures/surgicenters etc.  Hopefully dentists and others can open in some capacity May 1 as well. 

The reality is if the healthcare system in an area has capacity, we should slowly open up and closely monitor (testing!) to see how we are faring.  That's how you open up the economy the quickest and safest way.  What France and some others may do by committing to a hard lockdown well into summer does not make medical or financial sense to me.  

Stay healthy, Surly.  

damn. 

Edited by NoName

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Regarding opening back up: I feel like everyone ignores the elephant in the room which is age. This thing is not nearly as big a deal for those under 60 as over. If everyone over 60 could SiP place I feel like the world could largely go back to normal. Yes a lot of people would get it but it would be more like flu season than a deadly virus. There would be exceptions of course.

Yeah, it's almost like we need a "temporary" FLMA that covers "high risk people". Put a checklist together and if you check 2 of the 6 boxes, you can apply for FMLA.

30 minutes ago, Loco said:

On a macro level, sure. I wasn’t referring to crime as a whole. I said the SIP orders are having an effect on crime; which you further illustrated with that article.

I listed a few things that I am dealing with on a daily basis. Last week there were 9 business burglaries in my sector. Which is up about 300% from the same week last year. Take that with a grain of salt as there are always several factors, but thieves know a lot of these storefront businesses are ripe for the picking because several are essentially abandoned. 

Single vehicle accidents with drunks hitting light poles and signal lights hardly happen at all right now. City is probably saving millions on property damage. 

Edited by Constant
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RayDog said:

Picture in accordance with the rules. Her 19th Birthday was March 21, and I have checked her ID. I will add she is 4' 6" and 37kg with no babies.

spacer.png 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Yeah, it's almost like we need a "temporary" FLMA that covers "high risk people". Put a checklist together and if you check 2 of the 6 boxes, you can apply for FMLA.

7 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

My ass is staying in place.until Christmas, and then we will be verrrryyy careful.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Constant said:

On a macro level, sure. I wasn’t referring to crime as a whole. I said the SIP orders are having an effect on crime; which you further illustrated with that article.

I listed a few things that I am dealing with on a daily basis. Last week there were 9 business burglaries in my sector. Which is up about 300% from the same week last year. Take that with a grain of salt as there are always several factors, but thieves know a lot of these storefront businesses are ripe for the picking because several are essentially abandoned. 

Single vehicle accidents with drunks hitting light poles and signal lights hardly happen at all right now. City is probably saving millions on property damage. 

From what I’ve seen on this thread, statutory rape is definitely up in some parts of the world

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Plenty o' jokes but let's get another update in:

Chicago will definitely withstand the surge at this point and this time...this time?   Yes, as in if when we slowly remove shelter at home orders there will likely be some bump, if done properly, it won't overwhelm the hospital systems here.  We are seeing things break down along demographic lines.  NW has literally a couple hundred beds open.  UofC down south is pretty damn packed.  We had seen this in NYC and Detroit and it's fairly obvious here too now. 

We need antibody testing, we all know it.  Right now states have not credentialed these tests at many labs and the FDA has not either.  I don't know all those details/laws but I do know that those tests are NOT adding to our positive totals right now and there's a significant amount of 'unofficial' antibody testing kicking up around the country.  

Stay healthy, Surly.  

Healthcare systems have without a doubt lost a tremendous amount of revenue and some of it is unrecoverable but some is. The people that previously needed elective surgery still have that need and presumably more new people are still contracting conditions that also require elective procedures.

One question is whether the hospitals/doctors can manage an overload of patients for non-covid-19 issues. The demand will be there upon full reopening, the question is more whether a doctor or hospitals staff can or will do anything to deliver the needed supply. Just how busy can that operating room be? Has covid prep created more hospital beds?

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Healthcare systems have without a doubt lost a tremendous amount of revenue and some of it is unrecoverable but some is. The people that previously needed elective surgery still have that need and presumably more new people are still contracting conditions that also require elective procedures.

One question is whether the hospitals/doctors can manage an overload of patients for non-covid-19 issues. The demand will be there upon full reopening, the question is more whether a doctor or hospitals staff can or will do anything to deliver the needed supply. Just how busy can that operating room be? Has covid prep created more hospital beds?

People are scared shitless of hospitals right now.  We anticipate the opposite problem and are looking at marketing in major hospitals to reassure the general public.  That’s directly from the top of NW. 

I sure as hell hope you’re right, though.  

• Like 1

There are way too many 60+ that would not abide by that order if the rest of society is doing it's thing. There are also a lot of dumbfuck under 60s that would go see relatives and what have you. Finally, if the virus is allowed to run essentially unchecked through the under 60 population, you're still going to get a ton of hospitalizations and critical care patients that would stress the system just due to thr sheer size of the population. Even five percent of the under 60s needing hospital care is a very large amount of people. And you'd have your hospitalizations from things like car crashes coming back up.

I get where people are coming from when they say this but it seems unrealistic.
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

People are scared shitless of hospitals right now.  We anticipate the opposite problem and are looking at marketing in major hospitals to reassure the general public.  That’s directly from the top of NW. 

I sure as hell hope you’re right, though.  

I agree people are not beating down doors to see their doctor or go to the hospitals. There is an education need that you’re less likely to contract covid at your healthcare provider than the grocery store.

but the fear of the doctors office or hospital visit isn’t removing the healthcare need of the patient.

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

yes, but that is due to relaxing of rules around licensed beds. it's going to go back to what it was pre-COVID-19 once this is over

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away