Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

36 minutes ago, WBT said:

Have there been a lot of gatherings?  I thought I heard a lot of these closings were preemptive for the holiday weekend and they're planning to reopen after that.

In San Antonio, the cops had to keep breaking up large groups in the parks, including birthdays. With Easter coming up, they essentially said, "parks are closed, we can't trust you."

58 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Quick rant.. all the fucktards that are having gatherings outdoors at state parks and outdoor recreation areas, and therefore getting them shut down can go fuck themselves with a rusty pitch fork.

after this weekend, I am anticipating martial law.  House to house style.

Gonna be a bunch of stupid motherfuckers gathering for Easter...  because, ya know, you must honor and celebrate things on a certain fucking day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

He goes by CTJ.

On a different note, curiously my business is still moving forward. I'd note I seem to be mostly the exception to the rule but it's a positive sign that works for me.

Please know, I don't have any doctor friends so your milage may very. I do know some nurses though, so there is that.

Rules. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Myron Rolle, former FSU safety, RHODES Scholar, and now a senior resident at Harvard medical school and a hospital in Boston was just on CNN. Dude is now on the front lines of the covid front at his hospital. Eventually will be a neurosurgeon. Dude is a fucking stud. Has worked 9 straight days and has a 24 hour shift tomorrow. Says he is exactly where he is supposed to be trying to fight this thing.  

more like him please. 

Yeah, I posted something about a similar interview he did two weeks ago.  His resume is unreal.

12 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Gonna be a bunch of stupid motherfuckers gathering for Easter...  because, ya know, you must honor and celebrate things on a certain fucking day.

Not to overgeneralize, but I think there's a good chance that in-person gatherings will be more common in rural areas, like East Texas, where the folks' political and religious persuasions may cause them to throw social distancing to the wayside for the sake of Jesus. 

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Not to overgeneralize, but I think there's a good chance that in-person gatherings will be more common in rural areas, like East Texas, where the folks' political and religious persuasions may cause them to throw social distancing to the wayside for the sake of Jesus. 

yeah, the subways from Lufkin to Longview will be jam packed...

Edited by Iceman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

@Brisketexan mentioned in the COVID Good Deeds threat that we need to be donating to food banks that are running critically low, and he's right.  Our friends and neighbors are already going hungry, and we need to do everything we can to help them.  

That load is going to have to be spread out somehow.  The lines for food banks are enormous, and they have a potential for creating safety concerns.  There has to be a way for the average Joe to get food to those who need it in small doses. 

I'm not sure how it would work, maybe some kind of sponsorship connecting families, perhaps run through churches and other nonprofits.  Got a family of four?  Cook dinner for 8, which costs nowhere near 2X as much in most cases, bag half of it up, and put it on the porch for them to pick up.  It probably wouldn't make a dent, but it would for that family.

33 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

In San Antonio, the cops had to keep breaking up large groups in the parks, including birthdays. With Easter coming up, they essentially said, "parks are closed, we can't trust you."

Lemme guess a random westside park or MacArthur park.

45 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Don’t get me wrong, I hope desperately that every word is true, but that’s a pretty puffy-sounding release.  “4 of the 6 are even better than before!”   “This treatment also cures 5 other conditions!”

Yeah, it does not fit the profile of a drug/therapy that would be overly effective. Not only that, I would assume based on the article's limited details that scale-up would be difficult and expensive.

One thing about this whole event that SHOULD be put to rest, but hasn't; is the notion that small town/ country folk are bumbling idiots.  City folks have been hammered.
Certain mindsets and stereotypes insist upon themselves though.

Cities have been hammered because they're the first places cases get imported. Flights from China and Europe don't go to Lufkin.

Without making a value judgement, it's true that places like East Texas lean towards the political and religious schools of thought that are inclined to think this isn't that serious. It's reasonable to be concerned about that.
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Iceman said:

after this weekend, I am anticipating martial law.  House to house style.

Dude.  Christ rose from the dead on April 12, 0033.  (Except last year he rose from the dead on April 21, 0033.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

The number 7 seems pretty realistic. Whereas I've always been leery of the number 5.

I don't know, 5 feels like a real number to me.

5i, on the other hand, is definitely imaginary...

Zero's on the fence.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Cities have been hammered because they're the first places cases get imported. Flights from China and Europe don't go to Lufkin.

Without making a value judgement, it's true that places like East Texas lean towards the political and religious schools of thought that are inclined to think this isn't that serious. It's reasonable to be concerned about that.

But not reasonable to call out urban folk for their (obvious and verified) mistakes in comparison with any of your "concerns" about what MIGHT happen in a less densely populated area?

Love the consistency, bro.  the judgment by the urbanites ain't all that stellar.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

You know, after you wrote this it brought back another memory that had been buried by time and a head injury.
There is a back story prior to my encounter with the French woman I mentioned above.
When I lived at Taos Coop there was a theatrical writing PHD who was a bit of a mentor to me in several way. One of them was his introducing me to the show French in Action.
I believe it was shot in the 70s/80s. My mentor did not really care much at all about learning French, rather he watched the show for the female lead, Valérie Allain.
For whatever reason your post jogged that memory. That combined with a very mutual sex only relationship with the aforementioned French woman well.. good memories indeed. Oh... Pics. Well I don't have one of the woman I slept with, but here is Valérie Allain, the reason I learned French, from way back then...
616321945_MV5BN2ZlNWZhMmQtZTFjMS00MTRjLTk4ZDEtOTYwNWU3MWU5OTE2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjIyNzU0OA@@._V1_UY1200_CR43506301200_AL_.thumb.jpg.f650ed01e002d91f2c5fb4bcc73fc4fc.jpgimages.jpeg.d45bc75fbde0cdc1c3ddd2c2b9c8b991.jpeg
valrie-allain-8cf1accb-0068-491b-bb8e-d11a8ae25de-resize-750.jpg.3baea730e71010927d00a14b489b25b1.jpg
gettyimages-965991360-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.ca384163e13a93c0cccc02ad288a135b.jpg

Is she the one who would run around in a sweater and clearly never wore a bra? Was on ACCTV public access? If so, they were real and spectacular.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

ShinySparklingHerring-max-1mb.gif

Fun fact, CloseToJumping's first real car purchase when I met him out of college was a Dodge Intrepid. I believe he drove that car for like 8 years without an air conditioner in Houston until he drove it into the wall on a flyover to collect on the $500 of insurance value. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

But not reasonable to call out urban folk for their (obvious and verified) mistakes in comparison with any of your "concerns" about what MIGHT happen in a less densely populated area?

Love the consistency, bro.  the judgment by the urbanites ain't all that stellar.

I apologize, I didn't mean to hit a nerve or offend.

Of course cities have shown bad judgement. Look at New York or New Orleans vs a place like San Francisco or Seattle. The latter two likely imported cases first, but they were proactive and have thus far prevented shit from getting out of hand. Not so for the former. That much is pretty obvious. We'll continue to see contrasts down the line as new hot spots develop. Call it out all you want.

That doesn't change the fact that 1.) The leanings of rural areas make it likely many are going to jump the gun on ending restrictions, and 2.) They're not as well equipped to handle a surge in cases because of how rural health infrastructure has been allowed to deteriorate in this country.

Maybe none of that ends up mattering. Maybe a critical mass of cases never develops outside of large metro areas. Who knows? But ignoring the obvious risk factors because outbreaks naturally first develop in population centers seems petty risky.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Fun fact, CloseToJumping's first real car purchase when I met him out of college was a Dodge Intrepid. I believe he drove that car for like 8 years without an air conditioner in Houston until he drove it into the wall on a flyover to collect on the $500 of insurance value. 

Was this during your sparkly purple Acura 2-seater days? 

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Was this during your sparkly purple Acura 2-seater days? 

Slightly before and then overlapping. Except unlike CTJ, I'm not a hyperbolic faget. I've never owned an Acura, or a two seat vehicle. Meanwhile, he drove that Intrepid with bald tires for a long ass time. 

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That doesn't change the fact that 1.) The leanings of rural areas make it likely many are going to jump the gun on ending restrictions, and 2.) They're not as well equipped to handle a surge in cases because of how rural health infrastructure has been allowed to deteriorate in this country.

Those factors pale in comparison with the leaning toward living on top of each other and packing public transportation.  But everyone keeps beating that drum, maybe the country rubes really will overrun the big city medicine hotels any day now.

Edited by WBT

But everyone keeps beating that drum, maybe the country rubes really will overrun the big city medicine hotels any day now.

People are "beating the drums" about this, really? Or has it been mentioned a few times and you're on a bit of a search for sonething to be aggrieved about?
  • Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away