Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure I'll ever go back to NOLA, and that makes me sad, because my first time there was just a few years back when my wife finally prevailed.  She and her family used to go there every summer, and she swore it was awesome, and I resisted, much the same as her Hawaii recs (although she hadn't been there) . . . in both cases, she was dead on right.

The last time we were there, we checked into Royal Sonesta, and heard a jazz band playing in the lounge.  There was a trumpet leading the band.  My son is a (sort of) trumpet player, in middle school at the time, so I tried to get the family to go listen -- he was the only one who bit.  We were all sorta wiped by the drive from Austin.  I got my son past the door guy with an extra $10 and we checked this band out.  This bandleader was fucking phenomenal.  The whole band was fucking phenomenal.  The trumpet player was probably in his 30s, with long dreadlocks, and just absolutely smoked on his instrument.  I was thinking "why is this guy not ridiculously famous?"  Afterwords, I looked him up -- he's the trumpet professor at UNO (and now Tulane) and has a Grammy award.  So, he is famous, but he's still playing for $5 a head in a hotel bar.  

That city is nuts.  Austin could learn a lot about live music from New Orleans.

Back to your regularly scheduled viral loading . . .

this guy I assume?

https://liberalarts.tulane.edu/departments/music/people/ashlin-parker

you weren't kidding, he has a hell of a bio

Spoiler

Biography
A sought-after and versatile jazz trumpeter in New Orleans, Ashlin Parker plays with large and small ensembles nationally and internationally.

Ashlin shared in the 2009 Grammy Award for Best Large Jazz Ensemble for the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra’s album, Book One.  Following the album, Book One, Ashlin has recorded with numerous artists, including Ellis Marsalis, Harold Battiste, Dmitry Mospan (Moscow), James Partridge (London), Terence Blanchard (film soundtrack), and Jason Marsalis (film soundtrack).

Ashlin leads the Trumpet Mafia that made their festival debut in 2015 at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.  He plays with numerous ensembles, such as the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, Bill Summers and Jazalsa, The Next Generation Big Band, Vivaz! and the Moscow-New Orleans Project, as well as groups led by Roland Guerin, Adonis Rose, Derek Douget, and Leroy Jones.  He has played with musicians such as Jason Marsalis, Herlin Riley, Vincent Gardner, Brice Winston, Kermit Ruffins, Nicholas Payton, Igor Butman, Aretha Franklin, Anthony Hamilton, and Dee Dee Bridgewater.

Ashlin has been traveling and performing internationally since his undergraduate days of playing at the St. Louis Jazz Festival (Senegal) and the North Sea Jazz Festival (The Netherlands) with university jazz bands.  After graduation, he continued international travel with the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, performing with, arranging for, and leading jazz ensembles on cruises throughout the Caribbean Islands, Mexico, Central America, and the Mediterranean.  Since graduate school, Ashlin has played with extraordinary musicians in a number of national and international tours and festivals, including the Irvin Mayfield and the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra (Tours to Brazil, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, various European countries, and throughout the United States), the Adonis Rose Band (Tour throughout Brazil), the Roland Guerin Quintet (Ingolstädter Jazztage, Germany), Steve Masakowski and the New Orleans Modern Jazz Masters (Jus Jazz, India), The Session (Aberystwyth MusicFest and Pershore Jazz Festival, UK), The New Orleans Brass Revue (JazzAscona, Switzerland), and the Moscow-New Orleans Project (Usadba Jazz Festival, Moscow).

As a band leader, Ashlin has led ensembles in an array of settings and cities, including Radiance of the Seas (Royal Caribbean Cruise Line), the Chandler Jazz Festival, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, numerous clubs and performance venues in Charlotte, NC and New Orleans, and fourteen home games of the NBA New Orleans Hornets (2011-12).  Since 2008, the Ashlin Parker Quartet has regularly performed in New Orleans’ premiere clubs and hotels such as Snug Harbor, Irvin Mayfield’s Jazz Playhouse, and the Jazz Market.  Since the fall of 2014, his new band, The Trumpet Mafia, has played at Tulane University, Snug Harbor, Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse, the Jazz Market, and the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Members of the Trumpet Mafia can be found in New Orleans, New York, Switzerland, Russia, and Japan.

Ashlin has been teaching various aspects of jazz, including improvisation, theory, repertoire, arranging, and performance preparation in private lessons, courses, summer institutes, jazz camps, and master classes for more than ten years.  He has been leading the jazz trumpet studio in the Music Department at the University of New Orleans since January 2011.

Ashlin holds the Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies from Shenandoah University Conservatory (2005) and the Master of Music in Jazz

Studies from the University of New Orleans (2009).

33 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Ummmmm.   Spitballing here but can WHO focus on......

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED IN CHINA AND HOW THIS FUCKING THING ORIGINATED BEFORE GOING AFTER FUCKING CATS.

I mean, the WHO doesn’t want to hurt China’s feewings 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

this guy I assume?

That's him.  Super nice guy, too.  He talked to my son for about 10 minutes about trumpet.  Had he talked for 10 minutes about soccer, he might have made an impression.  Ha.

Edited by jimmyjazz

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, while these issues might create comorbidities, I haven't encountered any source, at least officials at city and state levels in the US, accounting for them as comorbidities or underlying conditions. It wasn't clear what was being defined early, but if you look at the dashboards for places like Nevada, Mass, NYC, etc., they're explaining what they view as an underlying condition. If you've got sources to point to where some place is including smoking, fatty, drugs, or booze as an underlying condition, please link it because that would be helpful to see and incorporate.

Are you asking for a source that smoking and obesity are leading comorbidities for heart problems? Or specifically relating to HCQ for treating COVID-19?

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, while these issues might create comorbidities, I haven't encountered any source, at least officials at city and state levels in the US, accounting for them as comorbidities or underlying conditions. It wasn't clear what was being defined early, but if you look at the dashboards for places like Nevada, Mass, NYC, etc., they're explaining what they view as an underlying condition. If you've got sources to point to where some place is including smoking, fatty, drugs, or booze as an underlying condition, please link it because that would be helpful to see and incorporate.

It’s not incorporated anywhere I’ve seen. But seen at lest a half dozen articles with ER doctors specifically citing that most al of the younger patients seriously hospitalized and dying are obese. I know it’s not cited anywhere but at this point I think it’s a pretty safe assumption that obesity matters. Blood pressure/hypertension goes hand in hand with obesity much of the time and it is listed as a pre-existing condition in at least some of these trackers. 

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Are you asking for a source that smoking and obesity are leading comorbidities for heart problems? Or specifically relating to HCQ for treating COVID-19?

No. He’s asking for a dashboard that actually tracks obesity DIRECTLY as a pre existing condition. 

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s not incorporated anywhere I’ve seen. But seen at lest a half dozen articles with ER doctors specifically citing that most al of the younger patients seriously hospitalized and dying are obese. I know it’s not cited anywhere but at this point I think it’s a pretty safe assumption that obesity matters. Blood pressure/hypertension goes hand in hand with obesity much of the time and it is listed as a pre-existing condition in at least some of these trackers. 

In my prior post, I acknowledged that they help lead to what are actually being "defined" as comorbidities when death tolls are disclosed, but they are not the underlying condition.

There is zero doubt that smoking and obesity are playing a role for COVID problems. I'm merely stating that I haven't seen them used as part of the definition when cities and states release data, and I'm reading the daily data releases from states and cities and even posting about this specifically on this thread at times.

In other words, when you read "Female, Aged 40-49, Underlying Medical Conditions: Yes" as a stat in a death toll, or just the macro stats for death toll numbers, they are not using "Obesity" or "Heavy Drinker" as a condition. They're using, almost homogeneously across the different data sets: diabetes, HBP, heart disease, asthma, prior lung disease, kidney disease, liver disease, dementia, and cancer as what they're counting as a condition. 

Edited by closetojumping
forgot one of the common conditions from the stats

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's not new information, and I'm sure you know it already, but to re-iterate most of the articles and anecdotes I've seen that tout the success of hydrochloronique have to specifically have it paired with Zinc, which you isn't a problem for the business. That being said, I'm amazed at how often I read that many people testing this aren't combining it with zinc. It's baffling to me. But yes, everything else seems to support you have to take it early one, but once you're in a hospital or having severe breathing problems it isn't going to do much at all. For whatever that is worth moving forward. 

No shit.  Zinc doesn't absorb into the cells all that well by itself, also several common things inhibit absorption.  Chloroquine opens the doors for cell absorption.   Zinc works well against viruses.  Sooo.... let's test chloroquine by itself and see how it works.  

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In my prior post, I acknowledged that they help lead to what are actually being "defined" as comorbidities when death tolls are disclosed, but they are not the underlying condition.

There is zero doubt that smoking and obesity are playing a role for COVID problems. I'm merely stating that I haven't seen them used as part of the definition when cities and states release data, and I'm reading the daily data releases from states and cities and even posting about this specifically on this thread at times.

In other words, when you read "Female, Aged 40-49, Underlying Medical Conditions: Yes" as a stat in a death toll, or just the macro stats for death toll numbers, they are not using "Obesity" or "Heavy Drinker" as a condition. They're using, almost homogeneously across the different data sets: diabetes, HBP, heart disease, asthma, prior lung disease, kidney disease, liver disease, and cancer as what they're counting as a condition. 

Gotcha. Wires crossed between you and me. I was talking about obesity being a comorbidity to heart problems in relation to the French data to show HCQ can cause heart problems, since smoking is a fairly common comorbidity there similar to obesity here. 

Edited by Captainant

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Some of my greatest sexual experiences...and worst dating experiences have come from Redheads. 

I've always been a sucker for redheads, married to one.  Bat they are bat shit fucking crazy, like not normal women fucking crazy. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait, you mean that it's bad to be offering unlicensed medical treatments without the assistance of a licensed, board certified physician? You don't fucking say?!?! Good thing we have the one and only Dr. Nick Riviera involved. You may have seen him on The Simpsons. Come the fuck on, man. Do you honestly think that we're knocking over pharmacies to get the medicine which requires a prescription from a doctor in this regard? 

To be honest, I could easily see some Surly posters doing that.

Edited by G650
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NoName said:

this guy I assume?

Reveal hidden contents

Biography
A sought-after and versatile jazz trumpeter in New Orleans, Ashlin Parker plays with large and small ensembles nationally and internationally.

Ashlin shared in the 2009 Grammy Award for Best Large Jazz Ensemble for the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra’s album, Book One.  Following the album, Book One, Ashlin has recorded with numerous artists, including Ellis Marsalis, Harold Battiste, Dmitry Mospan (Moscow), James Partridge (London), Terence Blanchard (film soundtrack), and Jason Marsalis (film soundtrack).

Ashlin leads the Trumpet Mafia that made their festival debut in 2015 at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.  He plays with numerous ensembles, such as the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, Bill Summers and Jazalsa, The Next Generation Big Band, Vivaz! and the Moscow-New Orleans Project, as well as groups led by Roland Guerin, Adonis Rose, Derek Douget, and Leroy Jones.  He has played with musicians such as Jason Marsalis, Herlin Riley, Vincent Gardner, Brice Winston, Kermit Ruffins, Nicholas Payton, Igor Butman, Aretha Franklin, Anthony Hamilton, and Dee Dee Bridgewater.

Ashlin has been traveling and performing internationally since his undergraduate days of playing at the St. Louis Jazz Festival (Senegal) and the North Sea Jazz Festival (The Netherlands) with university jazz bands.  After graduation, he continued international travel with the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, performing with, arranging for, and leading jazz ensembles on cruises throughout the Caribbean Islands, Mexico, Central America, and the Mediterranean.  Since graduate school, Ashlin has played with extraordinary musicians in a number of national and international tours and festivals, including the Irvin Mayfield and the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra (Tours to Brazil, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, various European countries, and throughout the United States), the Adonis Rose Band (Tour throughout Brazil), the Roland Guerin Quintet (Ingolstädter Jazztage, Germany), Steve Masakowski and the New Orleans Modern Jazz Masters (Jus Jazz, India), The Session (Aberystwyth MusicFest and Pershore Jazz Festival, UK), The New Orleans Brass Revue (JazzAscona, Switzerland), and the Moscow-New Orleans Project (Usadba Jazz Festival, Moscow).

As a band leader, Ashlin has led ensembles in an array of settings and cities, including Radiance of the Seas (Royal Caribbean Cruise Line), the Chandler Jazz Festival, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, numerous clubs and performance venues in Charlotte, NC and New Orleans, and fourteen home games of the NBA New Orleans Hornets (2011-12).  Since 2008, the Ashlin Parker Quartet has regularly performed in New Orleans’ premiere clubs and hotels such as Snug Harbor, Irvin Mayfield’s Jazz Playhouse, and the Jazz Market.  Since the fall of 2014, his new band, The Trumpet Mafia, has played at Tulane University, Snug Harbor, Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse, the Jazz Market, and the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Members of the Trumpet Mafia can be found in New Orleans, New York, Switzerland, Russia, and Japan.

Ashlin has been teaching various aspects of jazz, including improvisation, theory, repertoire, arranging, and performance preparation in private lessons, courses, summer institutes, jazz camps, and master classes for more than ten years.  He has been leading the jazz trumpet studio in the Music Department at the University of New Orleans since January 2011.

Ashlin holds the Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies from Shenandoah University Conservatory (2005) and the Master of Music in Jazz

Studies from the University of New Orleans (2009).

Search YouTube for him.  Dudes a badass. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I dated one.  One.  Holy shit, she was nuts.  In every way.

Checking in for the crazy about redheads but they are fucking crazy club. “Dated” one I met on 6th street for about 3 weeks. Fucked me 4 times the first night we went on a date and told me she loved me. After I broke it off a few weeks later, she called me for months trying to get me to take her back, then invented a stalker she said was lurking outside her place all the time to try to get me to come by in the middle of the night to scare him off. This lasted for months. Hated condoms. Clearly angling to get pregnant. But Jesus, fucked like her life literally depended on it. 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Definitely starting to buy into the new evidence/theories that this “is/should be treated as “ a blood disorder more than a respiratory disorder.

Can you go in to more detail about this?

Edited by kevwun

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Can you go in to more detail about this?

Don't know but there's been a lot of internet chatter lately that front line docs are becoming increasingly concerned that ventilators are being over used and are sometimes causing more harm than good. Some patients are seeing massive drops in blood oxygen levels without the normal symptoms like gasping for air. I'll stop there because I honestly don't really know what the fuck I'm talking about.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/08/doctors-say-ventilators-overused-for-covid-19/

Bonjour, y'all.

I've mostly kept to myself the last few days for the sake of my sanity in all of this with the exception of creating a crude model to project deaths over the next few days.

It's morbid and disgusting, but my brain needs some sort of reassurance that we're not all going to turn into fucking flesh-eating zombies.

I haven't read the past few pages, but I did spot Brisket mentioning having difficulty with French. I got you, man, and can contribute by assisting with that normally useless skillset whenever you'd wish. It's basically Spanish with some Old Germanic words thrown in, which fucks up the spelling.

Today, I spoke with my big sister for the first time since this all started. She's a PA with a pediatric practice up in the Denver area, and she told me one of her patients was a 12yo girl who was in the hospital right now with this shit. She used the word "liquefied" to describe the state of that child's lungs 

I'm glad that we spoke though. Yesterday, I sent her a text to call our stubborn elderly mother and convince her to stay the fuck home as our mom had still been planning to drive 45 minutes to the next town (with 30-40 confirmed cases) to purchase 8 itmes, including chocolate chip cookie mix, at Sam's that she could easily get closer to home where there's only been one confirmed case in a county of 35,000. My sister told me that she absolutely believes she finally got through to them.

Sorry, guys/gals, for this rambling wall of words. At this moment, y'all are my only outlet whereas elsewhere I have to pretend to be a fully functional adult and productive worker.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

If you're telling me I have to wait until fucking June 1 for a haircut, I'm going to kill someone. 

Got a way shorter than normal haircut about a week before shit got crazy. I just didn’t want to be in close contact for awhile with a barber with the virus around, but I didn’t imagine we’d go into quarantine like this. Worked out great. I could go till June with no haircut, I’ve got thick wavy hair the babes go crazy for. Sorry you have shitty hair/can’t plan ahead.

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

I mean, the WHO doesn’t want to hurt China’s feewings 

Do these WHO officials get a free year’s subscription to Wet Market of the Month Club?  They seem like they really don’t want to upset China.  

Edited by stork642
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Apologies to anyone who doesn't give a damn about New Orleans or its music, but it's quarantine time, so check this out.  It totally showcases what I was saying, and Mr. Parker certainly doesn't win this "battle", although it could be argued he doesn't lose.  It's like the trumpet version of Picasso VS Gaugin.  Two monster players fucking with each other.  Parker has the more ethereal tone, the bigger range, the crazy chops, the angular choices, but Rapa has the better ear, and a gift for context, where he wrings all there is to wring out of whatever motif he wanders into.  He can totally mimic Parker, and with a brassier, more aggressive style.  He's Picasso, Parker is Gaugin.  Picasso used to fuck with Gaugin, painting crazy cubist riffs on Gaugin's original work.  The irony is that Parker is pushing the envelope more.  Regardless, it's happening in one of New Orleans' great clubs, in real time, backed by a band of some of the best players in the world, and they just (appropriately) sit back and watch it play out.  Awesome.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

It’s been a while since a poster mentioned that they live/work in Manhattan. So, I’m stepping up.

Carry on

Is it like I Am Legend up there?  I assumed everyone not hospitalized split for the hamptons or Florida. 

Manhattan is at the top of my list of places I love to visit but could never live there.  Best food across every ethnicity coupled with surrealistic environment for someone used to a country like lifestyle.  

32 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

It’s been a while since a poster mentioned that they live/work in Manhattan. So, I’m stepping up.

Carry on

You're right, I wonder what has happened to our resident Manhattanite with a $1,000/month dogwalking habit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

I've always been a sucker for redheads, married to one.  Bat they are bat shit fucking crazy, like not normal women fucking crazy. 

Yep.  “Dated” one for a few months.  It was more so I would go over her place and fuck her brains out.   She followed me home one time the morning after and would scout my house.   Apparently saw me take some girl back to my place one night.   Stayed until the girl left and drove home.  Then text me and said, “I know so and so was just over your house, you better come over and fuck me right now too.”   So I did.  I fucked the shit out of her after I had fucked the other one.   Oh well 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Modessit said:

I've been doing gig grocery shopping/delivery. Balls to the wall all day every day.

A friend took this today in another store:

7ca378a1a25cac26522599947062d27c.jpg

The dude has COPD and is out shopping without wearing a mask. Nice hat. Dumb guy.

If you ever go back, grab a meal at Mosca's ten miles outside of town in Avondale, on the West Bank of the Mississippi.  It doesn't look like much, but has fantastic Italian seafood plus great traditional red sauce dishes.  Cash only.  And was apparently the former headquarters of Carl Marcello and the New Orleans mob.
6186095040_44a2b9b756.jpg

Csb, my father in law dated the daughter of Marcello prior to meeting and marrying my mother in law.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  “Dated” one for a few months.  It was more so I would go over her place and fuck her brains out.   She followed me home one time the morning after and would scout my house.   Apparently saw me take some girl back to my place one night.   Stayed until the girl left and drove home.  Then text me and said, “I know so and so was just over your house, you better come over and fuck me right now too.”   So I did.  I fucked the shit out of her after I had fucked the other one.   Oh well 

This thread has really taken a turn for the better with all this redhead talk.  There are rules, however.....

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

JP Morgan has been wrong the whole way and they will continue to be. They are built to get normal times mostly correct and fundamentally incapable of understanding times like these. Fuck those idiots. LOL if you look back at their shit in 2007-early 2009.

They previously whiffed on all parts in their late March outlook. hi  They’re whiffing now on the bounce back. It isn’t as if they’re not incented to do so, which makes it worse. People thinking we’re all going to be rolling by Christmas are as full of shit as the people forecasting millions of deaths a month ago. 

Fuck bankers and their political insulation. No one makes more from being less intelligent and competent than corporate bankers. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

These 2 images from https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/ worry me some. The conventional wisdom was that rates would drop when we increased testing and we're seeing the opposite. Hopefully the US rate is plateauing and the Texas rate has already done so.  NY pushed past 4% the past 2 days and could hit 5% soon.  Scary.

US fatality rate

sYPLuOOb_o.jpg

Texas fatality rate

DFd3DMV0_o.jpg

Not unlike what was observed in Italy, I would imagine a disproportionate amount of the people getting tested are the ones who are ill enough to show up at a hospital. That's what, 10-20 percent of overall cases? I'd bet it's a much larger proportion of tests.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away