CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

15 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The government refusing the test from the WHO also leads to a shortage of tests. 

The government electing not to order ventilators while other countries do so (and thereby diverting capacity overseas) also leads to a shortage of ventilators.

8 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

The government electing not to order ventilators while other countries do so (and thereby diverting capacity overseas) also leads to a shortage of ventilators.

It should be considered criminal negligence.

Btw, vaguely speaking, what neighborhood and city do you live where the junior high is?

Nvm Saw your other post in DT

Edited by bolverk

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Silver lining to all the Trumpers not believing in this crisis and parroting their orange god’s ridiculous rambling from the last few weeks? There may be a lot fewer of them around in the future.

As a group, they can go fuck themselves  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

About that Corporate Welfare for airlines - that's a NO from me. 

Yeah, hell no. They can get a loan with conditions along the lines of Liz's plan, or the government can get a stake in the company.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Pelosi better take advantage - their collective asses are hanging out and they know it. Give it to them hard, long, and deep.

So you're saying, Trump, McConnell and the rest of the GOP should... just lay back and enjoy it?

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

My neighbor came over asking if he could buy one of my Primo 5 gal water jugs ( I got a delivery last week).  I said sure but I don't need you to pay me, then he says he's tired of the news, the way they are attacking Our President is so wrong..  I told him it will be $10.

Should have poured it out on the ground in front of him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Democrats had already vastly scaled back their proposals for paid sick leave and paid family leave. Instead of covering all workers, millions were left out of the version of the bill passed over the weekend. Still, the original compromise bill included 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave for workers with COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, symptoms of COVID-19 or those caring for others who are sick.

Now, after the legislative text was updated, those family leave provisions in the bill are much weaker. Paid family leave would only be available to parents who are home with kids due to school closure. The extended leave wouldn’t be available for people who are sick with COVID-19. Those workers would only be able to take 10 days of paid sick leave ― and only if they work at a company with less than 500 employees. What’s more: Companies with fewer than 50 workers can apply for hardship relief and get out of providing both sick and family leave.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/paid-sick-leave-in-coronavirus-bill-watered-down-even-more_n_5e70e52ec5b6eab7793d0ceb

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

About that Corporate Welfare for airlines - that's a NO from me. 

There will still be demand for air travel. Fuck these hogs. Let some other companies emerge in their places. Watch their precious stock crash.

You say you love the market, and the market winnows the weak? Welcome to the party, pal.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

So this is what has Trump and McConnell willing to play ball.

Pelosi better take advantage - their collective asses are hanging out and they know it. Give it to them hard, long, and deep.

as long as the economy was good (stock market/401k, unemployment numbers), trump/gop knew there would be plenty of voters out there saying, "yeah, they suck, but more money is good and i can ignore politics" and they'd have a good chance to win elections.

they're just now realizing that plan has some glaring holes in it.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

So this is what has Trump and McConnell willing to play ball.

HB1.  That's all they have to do.  HB1.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

spacer.png

Orange incompetent nanna killing mother fucker is about to get swamped 

Believe me, I hope so, but the more I think about it, the more I think direct payments will really help him even if it's Democratic legislation.

I still support them because it's the right move but I'm starting to see a world where Trump is basically responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands, everyone knows it... And he still gets reelected.

Here's my 2 cents:

Airlines are critical, both for our national security, our commerce, and our way of life in general.  If 1 or more major carrier goes under, it's a problem.

If a hotel goes bust...well, somebody else will pick those properties up on the cheap.  The Hyatt downtown may not be a Hyatt anymore, but it will still be a hotel.

Fuck cruise ships.  If a cruise company goes bust, somebody else will buy their ships on the cheap, and cruises will still go on. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

There will still be demand for air travel. Fuck these hogs. Let some other companies emerge in their places. Watch their precious stock crash.

You say you love the market, and the market winnows the weak? Welcome to the party, pal.

The "other companies" that will emerge will not be American start-ups.  They'll be foreign state-owned airlines, such as Emirates or China Southern.  

Frankly, no--I don't want to fly Hainan Airlines from Austin to El Paso (if I could get there at all).  The airlines are critical infrastructure.  

If you want to put conditions on the bailout akin to Elizabeth Warren's (e.g., no stock buy-backs, limits on executive bonuses), then I think that's fine.  The airlines are in no position to negotiate.  Nor should they even if they were in such position.

But keeping an American airline sector is critical to our economy and our national security.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't understand why they can't test.  Meaning they don't have access to the test?

No clue. It was a short conversation. I got the distinct impression that she is trying not to rock the boat and is trying to “follow orders” so to speak. Maybe the higher ups know they don’t have the tests and are keeping that info from the front line providers. Whatever it is she was mega frustrated. My daughter in law is a nurse at Dell Children’s and she said she was not surprised by what my client was telling me. 

Just now, gmr548 said:

Believe me, I hope so, but the more I think about it, the more I think direct payments will really help him even if it's Democratic legislation.

I still support them because it's the right move but I'm starting to see a world where Trump is basically responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands, everyone knows it... And he still gets reelected.

Well, since the best guess is closer to three to five million deaths, we'll see how many dead old people you can kill for 2K and come out on everyone's good side.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Here's my 2 cents:

Airlines are critical, both for our national security, our commerce, and our way of life in general.  If 1 or more major carrier goes under, it's a problem.

If a hotel goes bust...well, somebody else will pick those properties up on the cheap.  The Hyatt downtown may not be a Hyatt anymore, but it will still be a hotel.

Fuck cruise ships.  If a cruise company goes bust, somebody else will buy their ships on the cheap, and cruises will still go on. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The "other companies" that will emerge will not be American start-ups.  They'll be foreign state-owned airlines, such as Emirates or China Southern.  

Frankly, no--I don't want to fly Hainan Airlines from Austin to El Paso (if I could get there at all).  The airlines are critical infrastructure.  

If you want to put conditions on the bailout akin to Elizabeth Warren's (e.g., no stock buy-backs, limits on executive bonuses), then I think that's fine.  The airlines are in no position to negotiate.  Nor should they even if they were in such position.

But keeping an American airline sector is critical to our economy and our national security.

Both of these are accurate, but they certainly raise the obvious question: if they're such critically important infrastructure and the government is going to have to bail them out so frequently, why aren't they nationalized?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

please elaborate

HB1 is the Democrats' election-security bill.  It expands voter registration, improves election security, gets rid of gerrymandering, and makes Election Day a national holiday, to name a few provisions.  It is critical to countering the Republicans' concerted efforts at voter suppression.  If passed, it would ensure that the GOP becomes a minority party for a generation . . . because it is a minority party.  It just catches the political branches up to the will of the voters.

• Like 2

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Both of these are accurate, but they certainly raise the obvious question: if they're such critically important infrastructure and the government is going to have to bail them out so frequently, why aren't they nationalized?

whoa, i just always assumed they were, what with names like u.s. air and american airlines.

those rascals.

• Haha 1

Not that it matters in the big picture, but I've been watching the amusement industry and SeaWorld/Busch, CedarFair, and Six Flags are all really hurting. SeaWorld has a market cap of only $800M, Cedar Fair is at $900M, and Six Flags is at $1B....we might see one of these regional parks company collapse.

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

American airlines have never been nationalized, but they were heavily regulated.  And today, you can get to more places for less money than you could under regulation.

Regulation created bloated corporations that provided poor service for an inflated price.  Shielding airlines from competition did not help the consumer; it hurt the consumer and aided only car manufacturers.

Nationalization would be no different.  There's a reason that virtually no developed country has a nationalized airline industry anymore.  It leads to poor service, high fares, and enormous losses for the carrier.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

No clue. It was a short conversation. I got the distinct impression that she is trying not to rock the boat and is trying to “follow orders” so to speak. Maybe the higher ups know they don’t have the tests and are keeping that info from the front line providers. Whatever it is she was mega frustrated. My daughter in law is a nurse at Dell Children’s and she said she was not surprised by what my client was telling me. 

I can easily see Midessa not wanting the 'bad press' from multiple corona cases out there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

HB1 is the Democrats' election-security bill.  It expands voter registration, improves election security, gets rid of gerrymandering, and makes Election Day a national holiday, to name a few provisions.  It is critical to countering the Republicans' concerted efforts at voter suppression.  If passed, it would ensure that the GOP becomes a minority party for a generation . . . because it is a minority party.  It just catches the political branches up to the will of the voters.

Shit LL. 

I was thinking H1B, as in Visa, and I couldn't figure out your point.  

My dumb ass.  Thanks for responding.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

American airlines have never been nationalized, but they were heavily regulated.  And today, you can get to more places for less money than you could under regulation.

Regulation created bloated corporations that provided poor service for an inflated price.  Shielding airlines from competition did not help the consumer; it hurt the consumer and aided only car manufacturers.

Nationalization would be no different.  There's a reason that virtually no developed country has a nationalized airline industry anymore.  It leads to poor service, high fares, and enormous losses for the carrier.

Uhh...

But more seriously, this all makes sense, but I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "nationalization" from the perspective of Warren's list. Permanently enacting such measurements considering that every decade they seem to need a multi-billion dollar bailout anyway. And I agree they're critical, but we've given them too much leeway in their business operations.

Edited by Huckleberry

It should be considered criminal negligence.
Btw, vaguely speaking, what neighborhood and city do you live where the junior high is?
Nvm Saw your other post in DT

I’m in the Lakewood neighborhood of Dallas (East of downtown).
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Hell yes on that Booker/Brown plan. That's some good shit!!

[edit]

Bernie adds his emergency UBI plan

UBI is the only way IMO. everything else ends up being inefficient corporate welfare of some kind

(and for the record I hate UBI, but these ain't normal times)

• Like 1

Airlines shouldn't have spent $50 billion on stock buybacks when they now need $50 billion for bailouts. Should have saved that money for a rainy day rather than pumping up their stock prices for greedy shareholders and overpaid executives. The buybacks were part of the reason this asset bubble became so large.

Need a bailout? Turn over the keys and we will find RESPONSIBLE managers for these "too big to fail" behemoths. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I get your argument, but it is undeniably wrong to let those fuckers make the selfish, short sighted decision that contributed to their fucked-ness, and then give them a fucking bailout because they're too big to fail.

We've done that before. Fuck that. Make some fucking heads roll and make changes so we never need to intervene to protect a private corporation from their own selfish profit seeking. They need the bailout? Make. Them. Earn. It. 

• Like 5

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk