CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

While I'm sure having the My Pillow brand logo stamped on someone else's KN95 masks adds tremendous value, going to a middleman for this is pretty damn stupid. The VA should just contract directly with a subcontractor that can actually do the work. 

Come on man that's grifting 101, it's the first thing they teach you at Trump University. Other classes that first semester include an elective, and an anatomy class otherwise known as check out my daughter's tits.

40 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

We've just had a spending bill for trillions of dollars passed unanimously by the Senate and practically unanimously by the House.  No one's base has been trained to view government spending as a crime.  That kind of reasoning hasn't been around this country since Seinfeld and Friends ended their runs.  The reason he is opening up the state is because it is going to be impossible to have everyone stay at home for another 18 plus months at a minimum until a vaccine for this is discovered.   The entire economy will have completely collapsed by then and there isn't enough credit in the world to keep passing multi billion and trillion dollar relief bills every two weeks throughout that time period.  Not to mention you will have L.A. riot levels of civil disturbance every day once the people who are out of work, out of food, and out of patience decide they have had enough of being out of everything.

This is why I posted this weeks ago. Likely too late now due primarily to Trump and his base's reliance on obstinate denial as a defense mechanism, which can be effective politically, but completely useless when dealing with a pandemic that gives zero fucks about narratives or infomercial-level salesmanship.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/bill-ackman-pleads-to-trump-to-increase-closures-to-save-the-economy-shut-it-down-now.html

"Capitalism does not work in an 18-month shutdown, capitalism can work in a 30-day shutdown."

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand

33 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Oh that was my immediate response. 

That's what I'm envisioning for the Nov election. I have no data to support this whatsoever, but I believe that many previous Trump voters will stay home this time around. They won't switch to Biden, but they also won't feel as convicted and passionate about voting for Trump this time around. He'll still have his dyed in the wool sheep vote, but I don't think he'll see the groundswell of support he got last time.

I do wonder how much the desire to golf influences Trump's motivation to "re-open" the country.  Sure, he has other more logical reasons to want to do it.  But he is an infant, and it's got to be killing him that he can't golf until he can claim the national emergency is over.  And there is no doubt that he would kill millions of Americans to golf. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

This is why I posted this weeks ago. Likely too late now due primarily to Trump and his base's reliance on obstinate denial as a defense mechanism, which can be effective politically, but completely useless when dealing with a pandemic that gives zero fucks about narratives or infomercial-level salesmanship.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/bill-ackman-pleads-to-trump-to-increase-closures-to-save-the-economy-shut-it-down-now.html

"Capitalism does not work in an 18-month shutdown, capitalism can work in a 30-day shutdown."

Bill Ackman was shorting the market when he went on CNBC with that rant.  Made something like $2B on the trade.  I don't necessarily disagree with his urgency, but that clip is about him pumping fear into the market. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

2800 people died from this. Yesterday.

Come on out everybody, the coast is clear!!

Exactly, the disconnect is amazing... the daily death counts have been in thousands for the past 2 weeks, yet the efforts by the Trump Administrative are dedicated solely to promote things as rosy and that we are in the clear.

They are absolutely not doing the hard work to solve this thing, which is crazy. Trump's only hope for re-election is having the economy booming again - no way you can do that unless you solve the health issue. You can't just snap your fingers and make it so. That seems to be the strategy.

29 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I do wonder how much the desire to golf influences Trump's motivation to "re-open" the country.  Sure, he has other more logical reasons to want to do it.  But he is an infant, and it's got to be killing him that he can't golf until he can claim the national emergency is over.  And there is no doubt that he would kill millions of Americans to golf. 

Dumbfuck can golf at Camp David whenever he wants, shutdown or no.

I bet that million dollar a month golf course lease at MarALago has some influence, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

We've just had a spending bill for trillions of dollars passed unanimously by the Senate and practically unanimously by the House.  No one's base has been trained to view government spending as a crime.  That kind of reasoning hasn't been around this country since Seinfeld and Friends ended their runs.  The reason he is opening up the state is because it is going to be impossible to have everyone stay at home for another 18 plus months at a minimum until a vaccine for this is discovered.   The entire economy will have completely collapsed by then and there isn't enough credit in the world to keep passing multi billion and trillion dollar relief bills every two weeks throughout that time period.  Not to mention you will have L.A. riot levels of civil disturbance every day once the people who are out of work, out of food, and out of patience decide they have had enough of being out of everything.

the "we are fucked" post. options:

1. open up the economy and just spread this fucker around until 5% to 10% of our populous dies

2. isolate ourselves to stop the spread to the point of destroying our economy.

We fucked ourselves early on by being absolutely unprepared and now the spread is out of control. South Korea got it very right. We got it very wrong.

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tuco said:

he outright mentioned the closure of golf clubs and resorts, and specifically referenced his own. then he mentioned that his kids are running that business, but when he compares his numbers to theirs, which he looks forward to doing, he thinks he will come out on top.

i mentioned that baffling comment yesterday, but not many folks seemed to pick up on it. such a fucking narcissist

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

he outright mentioned the closure of golf clubs and resorts, and specifically referenced his own. then he mentioned that his kids are running that business, but when he compares his numbers to theirs, which he looks forward to doing, he thinks he will come out on top.

i mentioned that baffling comment yesterday, but not many folks seemed to pick up on it. such a fucking narcissist

it's like the father-son basketball scene in The Great Santini.

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, yoladu said:

the "we are fucked" post. options:

1. open up the economy and just spread this fucker around until 5% to 10% of our populous dies

2. isolate ourselves to stop the spread to the point of destroying our economy.

We fucked ourselves early on by being absolutely not prepared and now the spread is out of control. South Korea got it very right. We got it very wrong.

Option 1 is a delusion.  I think Bill Gates had some line about how people aren't going to step over dead bodies to go to a restaurant.  It might seem realistic when people can pretend that either that NYC/Italy/Spain were just media hype, or that it would never going to happen to their town (because Jesus magic or flag pins, or something), or that they would just man up and power through.  The reality is different, and we would just end up shutting down after we've overrun our medical system.  

Edited by Tuco
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Yeah, I missed it.  This thread moves fast, and it's not good for me to try to catch up.  Sociopath.  

4 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Option 1 is a delusion.  I think Bill Gates had some line about how people aren't going to step over dead bodies to go to a restaurant.  

Correct -- some idiots will, but it seems that the majority will not.  We aren't going to be clamoring to go to a crowded restaurant or bar if they open up next week.  Not gonna happen.

Coronavirus at meat packing plants worse than first thought, USA TODAY investigation finds https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB132K8d?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

"By the time it closed its doors on April 12, Smithfield’s Sioux Falls plant had more than 200 confirmed cases of COVID-19. In the days since then, the case count has swelled to nearly 900, including workers and those they’ve interacted with, making it the biggest single cluster of COVID-19 infections in the nation."

5 minutes ago, yoladu said:

South Korea got it very right.

There are lots of lessons to take from the various international responses, which should inform our future preparedness and pandemic strategy. Two of the most important things that SK did that we did not do:

1. Testing capacity. Engage private industry early to quickly ramp up testing capacity. We let the CDC and FDA play grab ass and run bad science.

2. Tracing. Deployed a epidemiological tracing surveillance network built on nearly 30 data feeds of financial transactions, smartphone data, GPS data, CCTV feeds, credit bureaus, etc.  They stood that program up years ago based on their experience with MERS. We don't have exactly the same infrastructure or geographic spread as SK for such a thing, and either way I am not sure that such a surveillance system would be acceptable to most Americans. Can you imagine the reaction if the Trump administration proposed turning over all of the intelligence program feeds to HHS on Jan 15th to set up a tracing program, the day before the impeachment trial started?  Shit, we had posters here losing their minds over pre-crime persecution when there was a proposal in circulation regarding a DARPA-like initiative without HHS to address public health issues through advanced analytics. 

• Like 3

There are lots of lessons to take from the various international responses, which should inform our future preparedness and pandemic strategy. Two of the most important things that SK did that we did not do:
1. Testing capacity. Engage private industry early to quickly ramp up testing capacity. We let the CDC and FDA play grab ass and run bad science.
2. Tracing. Deployed a epidemiological tracing surveillance network built on nearly 30 data feeds of financial transactions, smartphone data, GPS data, CCTV feeds, credit bureaus, etc.  They stood that program up years ago based on their experience with MERS. We don't have exactly the same infrastructure or geographic spread as SK for such a thing, and either way I am not sure that such a surveillance system would be acceptable to most Americans. Can you imagine the reaction if the Trump administration proposed turning over all of the intelligence program feeds to HHS on Jan 15th to set up a tracing program, the day before the impeachment trial started?  Shit, we had posters here losing their minds over pre-crime persecution when there was a proposal in circulation regarding a DARPA-like initiative without HHS to address public health issues through advanced analytics. 

I think most of America would be shocked if the Trump administration did that with any degree of competence.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

you-dont-say-memes-com-14014390.png

It's been obvious for literally months.  It's also been obvious that we cannot and will not follow SK's lead, even later in the game.

We are not going to ramp up testing.  We just aren't.  That's a done deal.

And we're not going to do tracing, because Barr and Trump.

We know what we need to do.  Everyone with a lick of sense does.  And everyone knows we aren't going to do that.  So, we're just gonna make sure we continue to plow right ahead into iceberg after iceberg.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

on 1. i mean, you can blame the cdc and fda all you want, but it is abundantly clear that this administration did not want widespread testing. hell, one could argue that they still do not want that, because it has yet to actually manifest. they were in full denial and hoax mode, even if trump ostensibly shut down travel from china (for non us citizens and residents). we can monday morning quarterback things, of course, and yes, bureaucratic paralysis was a thing, but i would argue that it was instituted from the top. we still haven't fully utilized the dpa, because trump doesn't want the numbers to climb, because he's too self-absorbed and stupid to actually grasp that the higher the numbers of positive tests go, the lower the death rate and perceived danger of the virus becomes. he thinks that if we have widespread testing and it shows a very low infection rate, then social distancing is going to be an ongoing thing, and he can't have that because a reasonable economy is required for his reelection.

on 2. yeah, we couldn't pull that off. not sure how to marry up that with our freedoms.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Making Donald Trump the head of the government that runs the CDC and FDA was probably unwise.

Hindsight and stuff.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

If they want to ghoulishly reopen the country with no containment plans in place save for a half-hearted shrug, they don’t get to call themselves the pro-life party ever again. Ever ever ever.

They still pretend to be Christian and fiscally conservative.  It's slogans, not reality.  

2 minutes ago, Tuco said:

They still pretend to be Christian and fiscally conservative.  It's slogans, not reality.  

Oh, the Christian thing is another one.  That they use "Christianity" as a weapon, and do so in a manner that is literally the OPPOSITE of the Gospels at almost every turn, is fucking offensive beyond belief.

So I get to hate the GOP both politically AND theologically.  And morally.  And ethically.  And fuck it, aesthetically (the gaudy flag-waving bullshit is just tacky).  It's hard to find a way I don't loathe them.  I dunno, I appreciate how they co-opt hot bimbos to sell their bullshit on Fox News.  So, a little shamelessly sexist respek.

• Like 3

Found this interesting. I think some reopening would be possible if we followed this model, or at least some of it. The problem is Americans would never adhere to these limits. We've already seen it when some beaches were opened. Within a week there would be zero social distancing. There's no way we follow rules appropriately enough to do what needs to be done.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, the Christian thing is another one.  That they use "Christianity" as a weapon, and do so in a manner that is literally the OPPOSITE of the Gospels at almost every turn, is fucking offensive beyond belief.

So I get to hate the GOP both politically AND theologically.  And morally.  And ethically.  And fuck it, aesthetically (the gaudy flag-waving bullshit is just tacky).  It's hard to find a way I don't loathe them.  I dunno, I appreciate how they co-opt hot bimbos to sell their bullshit on Fox News.  So, a little shamelessly sexist respek.

That’s because they are terrorists.

Also in livestock news, Tyson is idling a pork plant in Waterloo, IA which is generating headlines now, buried in the story is they got their Columbus Junction plant back up and running, so while it's doesn't make things better it shouldn't make things worse for the moment. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Found this interesting. I think some reopening would be possible if we followed this model, or at least some of it. The problem is Americans would never adhere to these limits. We've already seen it when some beaches were opened. Within a week there would be zero social distancing. There's no way we follow rules appropriately enough to do what needs to be done.

Not only would Americans not adhere to the rules, we're way too far down the road for this.  

Trump has put the US is in a really bad spot.  The rest of the developed world got serious with lockdowns and testing long ago, and most will be opening up their economies in the coming weeks which will put more pressure on Trump and his creatures to follow suit.  Of course, this will lead to either further shutdowns, lasting damage to the economy, and an obscene death-toll.  

It's like an athlete coming back too soon, and immediately getting re-injured...it's back to square one.

We're staring down the barrel at the answer to...

tenor.gif

Edited by DixonHur
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I say this all the time:  I don’t care what you say,  if FOX is your primary news source you will vote for DJT again in the fall.

2 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

You have to get them to turn off Fox or OANN. 

Certainly Fox, and new front runner OANN are the biggest propaganda networks, but some of the hardcore long game planners are recognizing that a percentage of the populace is on to them and thus they have increased the micro target Facebook strategy, got the 'fake' television websites up and running, and are exploring other efforts to conceal their behind the scenes machinations to appear as legitimate sources of information. Similar to Stephen Miller and Richard Spencer fronting for the White is Right movement by wearing suits and speaking in front of audiences on campuses instead of burning a cross on the new neighbor's front lawn.

It is nefarious and reaches its tentacles into everything. "Constant vigilance!" wasn't just Mad-Eye Moody's slogan from Harry Potter. That was author JK Rowling herself speaking. She understands that part of human behavior and she's not wrong.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We are not going to ramp up testing.  We just aren't.  That's a done deal.

26 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

on 1. i mean, you can blame the cdc and fda all you want, but it is abundantly clear that this administration did not want widespread testing. hell, one could argue that they still do not want that, because it has yet to actually manifest.

We're doing 150k tests per day, already completed over 4MM.  We are far behind where we should be for reasons that have been discussed a number of times on this thread, both bureaucratic and leadership failings. But we also are cranking more tests than anywhere in the world at this point, like an order of magnitude greater than SK at their peak testing. The problem is that we are a month and a half behind where we need to be, and given our population size and geography have to pump out many more tests than any other western nation.  I agree with you hayden and the lack of seriousness taken early on, and that is one reason why we are behind. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Certainly Fox, and new front runner OANN are the biggest propaganda networks, but some of the hardcore long game planners are recognizing that a percentage of the populace is on to them and thus they have increased the micro target Facebook strategy, got the 'fake' television websites up and running, and are exploring other efforts to conceal their behind the scenes machinations to appear as legitimate sources of information. Similar to Stephen Miller and Richard Spencer fronting for the White is Right movement by wearing suits and speaking in front of audiences on campuses instead of burning a cross on the new neighbor's front lawn.

It is nefarious and reaches its tentacles into everything. "Constant vigilance!" wasn't just Mad-Eye Moody's slogan from Harry Potter. That was author JK Rowling herself speaking. She understands that part of human behavior and she's not wrong.

I'm definitely not the expert in this area but I have started to encounter more and more "news" websites that are impossible to tell how or where they are structured or located. And while it's very easy to disagree with a Fox News, OANN or local Sinclair station at least you have some idea what they're about. 

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

We're doing 150k tests per day, already completed over 4MM.  We are far behind where we should be for reasons that have been discussed a number of times on this thread, both bureaucratic and leadership failings. But we also are cranking more tests than anywhere in the world at this point, like an order of magnitude greater than SK at their peak testing. The problem is that we are a month and a half behind where we need to be, and given our population size and geography have to pump out many more tests than any other western nation.  I agree with you hayden and the lack of seriousness taken early on, and that is one reason why we are behind. 

So we have tested a little over 4 million people out of 331 million.

Barely over 1%.

Great.

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My problem here is that large, publicly traded companies "should" be profitable, with cash reserves in the bank.  That's a much higher bar for a mom & pop joint to clear.  Let's just continue with the restaurant example:

9 in 10 restaurants have fewer than 50 employees.

7 in 10 restaurants are single-unit operations

When many waitstaffs' takehome is in tips, how is this calculated in PPP?  

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I hope that fuckstain R doctor in the houston area who prescribed this shit to a couple dozen retirement home patients gets his malpracticing ass handed to him by some pissed off relatives via lawsuits.   And his license yanked.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

I caught it, but the thread was moving fast, and i didn't get a chance to catch up.  My thoughts on that were that even if the kid's "numbers" were better, he'd fudge them somehow to make himself look better.  Just like he cheats at golf.  

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Coronavirus at meat packing plants worse than first thought, USA TODAY investigation finds https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB132K8d?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

"By the time it closed its doors on April 12, Smithfield’s Sioux Falls plant had more than 200 confirmed cases of COVID-19. In the days since then, the case count has swelled to nearly 900, including workers and those they’ve interacted with, making it the biggest single cluster of COVID-19 infections in the nation."

"Well, Smithfield is a chinese company, right?  So yeah, it's gonna spread there fast.  Serves 'em right!" - trumpkin.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I think most of America would be shocked if the Trump administration did that with any degree of competence.

Won't happen, because the only people trump surrounds himself with are "yes" operatives and grifting goons.  Now if they could find a way to gain financially from it, then yeah.   That would be the only shot.  Still, the degrees of competence would be low.

42 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I've been to Sweden. They practice social distancing as a standard. I got chewed out because I was standing too close to someone at a bus stop. Of course my friend had to translate for me, but I got the gist. They're a strange culture.

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I've been to Sweden. They practice social distancing as a standard. I got chewed out because I was standing too close to someone at a bus stop. Of course my friend had to translate for me, but I got the gist. They're a strange culture.

it's even moreso in finland. here's a gif of the finnish president reacting to even being touched. nopenopenope

TheseNecessaryEagle-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So we have tested a little over 4 million people out of 331 million.

Barely over 1%.

Great.

Yeah, we have a long ways to go on per capita basis.  SK, for example, had conducted about 550k tests and Iceland <50k.