CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

^

It's for females in the First Family to stay in during their "unclean" time each lunar month.  They are very forward thinking.  There's talk of books next year...

I would think the point is that dismissing the use of a slur by situationalizing it doesn't lessen the impact of using the slur.  In both examples posted, back in the Eddie Murphy time and the current use on this board, the slur is entirely used to indicate that a group of people is somehow bad, inferior, or dangerous, and that isn't excusable.

But, back to the thread...

Edited by TexLonghorn

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The nurse and I were chatting and I asked her how many tests they are doing a day.  She just said that so many are coming in wanting a test that the staff are assuming everyone is coming into the place is needing one, and are surprised if someone has any other medical need. 

This shit is pissing me off.  All the urgent care clinics around here are booked sometimes 2-8 hours out.  It kind of defeats the purpose of “urgent”.  I sort of wish they would just sell you a rapid test in a drive through.  There’s really nothing the urgent care can even do if you are positive.  They’ll tell you to GTFO and go to the ER if it gets worse.  
we have a free testing site close by and results take 24 hours.  It has come in handy for sure. 

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That tracks. Didn't the previous Governor have a trailer on the lawn of the governor’s mansion? 

For her adult daughter to squat on state property.  Once the Governor's office was asked about it, the trailer disappeared.  They stuck the trailer in the far reaches of the property.  I'm assuming the decorative cacti on either side of the entry door was paid for by the Falin family, not the state.

trailer-belonging-to-governors-daughter-

Oh, and here's a pic of the former First Daughter.  She led a rather colorful life:

2AEFBA1A00000578-3178764-image-m-22_1438

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

I would think the point is that dismissing the use of a slur by situationalizing it doesn't lessen the impact of using the slur.

I didn't dismiss it.  I provided timeframe.  Eddie himself has expressed regret over that and other things he said.

6 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

This shit is pissing me off.  All the urgent care clinics around here are booked sometimes 2-8 hours out.  It kind of defeats the purpose of “urgent”.  I sort of wish they would just sell you a rapid test in a drive through.  There’s really nothing the urgent care can even do if you are positive.  They’ll tell you to GTFO and go to the ER if it gets worse.  
we have a free testing site close by and results take 24 hours.  It has come in handy for sure. 

Town I live in (20K population) has two urgent care facilities.  One of them you are welcome to just walk in, but for a covid test, you schedule it first (earliest appointment for me was 12:30 on Sunday).  I went to the second, and from time I arrived to getting nose swabbed was probably around half an hour, plus another 30 minute wait for blood draw and to get all the test results in.   

I'm glad they were able to get me in, and when I was leaving there were probably 15 people waiting outside for their turn. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I didn't dismiss it.  I provided timeframe.  Eddie himself has expressed regret over that and other things he said.

EDIT:  and just because one poster used the term recently doesn't mean surly as a whole approves, which was kinda the implication.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

For her adult daughter to squat on state property.  Once the Governor's office was asked about it, the trailer disappeared.  They stuck the trailer in the far reaches of the property.  I'm assuming the decorative cacti on either side of the entry door was paid for by the Falin family, not the state.

Oh, and here's a pic of the former First Daughter.  She led a rather colorful life:

Oh god, another privileged Emo Sooner.  

"You know, it's like really hard being me.  Because like, I like feel things.  Like more deeply than like other people.  Okay?  Like I know the struggles of the like the Native Peoples. Okay?  Like, for realz."  

43 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

I would think the point is that dismissing the use of a slur by situationalizing it doesn't lessen the impact of using the slur.  In both examples posted, back in the Eddie Murphy time and the current use on this board, the slur is entirely used to indicate that a group of people is somehow bad, inferior, or dangerous, and that isn't excusable.

Yeah and Eddie was a product of his times when he did that. Whoever made that post on surly is a moron who should know better. If Eddie Murphy came out and did that standup routine today reaction would be way way different.
My high school tennis coach called me a fag in high school and it was just one of the ways he joked with his team. A couple years ago that coach, now an administrator, ended up “retiring” to avoid getting fired for not knowing the right way to handle a sensitive situation with some gay students. Times change and you change with them or get left behind. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It wasn’t my post, I was just backing up what the thought behind it probably was.  I do think the idea of “that’s just how things were” is not the best concept and can be used to justify a number of things that shouldn’t be justifiable, and really is that any different than “that’s just how things are” being used to resist changing anything?  But that’s not this thread.  

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Town I live in (20K population) has two urgent care facilities.  One of them you are welcome to just walk in, but for a covid test, you schedule it first (earliest appointment for me was 12:30 on Sunday).  I went to the second, and from time I arrived to getting nose swabbed was probably around half an hour, plus another 30 minute wait for blood draw and to get all the test results in.   

I'm glad they were able to get me in, and when I was leaving there were probably 15 people waiting outside for their turn. 

I guess the point is it doesn’t take a dr or nurse or even a assistant/tech to do a test.  Only one of my COVID tests did anyone actually do anything for me.  I stick the qtip in my own nose then drop it in a tube.  The clinics should just stop testing and let pharmacies do it.  But I’m guessing they make a pretty good amount of money off something so simple. 

35 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Yeah and Eddie was a product of his times when he did that. Whoever made that post on surly is a moron who should know better. If Eddie Murphy came out and did that standup routine today reaction would be way way different.
My high school tennis coach called me a fag in high school and it was just one of the ways he joked with his team. A couple years ago that coach, now an administrator, ended up “retiring” to avoid getting fired for not knowing the right way to handle a sensitive situation with some gay students. Times change and you change with them or get left behind. 

lmao is a troll. put him on ignore. truthfully he should be gone for violating the main rule of no trolling.

Edited by Yuk
lmao
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

There are at home COVID tests. Why go to urgent care? Nothing they can do for you.

They did draw blood and found that I might be needing a round of antibiotics. For $20 copay, I had covid testing, a blood draw and a script (plus the antibiotic) and it was actually cheaper than the cost of an at home Covid test.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

OK, now how about pix of that nurse you were chatting with.

Give him a listen.  I think you'd like him based on the slice of indication of your sense of humor I gleaned on here.  Shit, we probably both listen to Larry the Cable Guy in real life.  But I think you'd like Kyle.  He does this bit about Kurosawa that reminded me of your last post.  

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

There are at home COVID tests. Why go to urgent care? Nothing they can do for you.

They can tell you if you have Covid, or one of the other upper respiratory things that are going around right now and require some medication to clear up.

18 minutes ago, WBT said:

She dies hours after testing positive?  That seems odd.

RALEIGH, Miss. (WLBT) - An 8th grader at Raleigh Junior High has died.

The announcement was made Saturday on the Raleigh High School Lion Pride Band’s Facebook page.

“It is with great sadness, and a broken heart, that I announce the passing of one of my 8th grade band students,” the post reads.

The teenager was described as “the perfect student” and that “every teacher loved her and wanted 30 more just like her.”

The post then asked for prayers for Raleigh Junior High, their band “and especially the family as they deal with this.”

The news comes weeks after the school’s former band director lost his battle with COVID. His wife would also pass from COVID days later.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sooo . . . your point?  You do have a point, right?

Times change more quickly in some places than they do in others.

It’s true that a fair amount of Eddie’s material was offensive and time passed him by. His homophobic material wasn’t a good influence. (Although I contend that the Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton bit is still funny.) But as time moved forward, his star as the biggest comic on the planet faded.

The music passed him by too.

I was still using the term “gay” as a put-down in the early 90’s even though I had gay friends and colleagues who I like and respected. Then I realized that was stupid and I stopped doing it. Don’t try to tell me you’re not familiar with the intentional misspellings of “faget” and “nigga” in this community that offer plausible deniability while everyone knows exactly what’s being said.

That’s the point.

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The music passed him by too.

“Party all the time” will never not slap. It’s  an all-time banger and I bet Rick James died wishing he had recorded it himself.

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That’s a logic puzzle that they’ve never, ever been able to work through. They are all about their right to protect themselves, it’s sacred….but for this thing that you actually need protection from (you are statistically a jillion times more likely to get a bad case of COVID than you are to be a victim of a violent crime)….well, Jesus will protect me!

Bad at logic. Bad at math. Bad at life. They’re just awful.

Jerry Clower’s “two boats and a helicopter” bit killed because his audience knew it was true and he knew they knew it.

I can hear the end of a new version now, in his voice- the story of the farmer, going about his business, the pandemic getting closer and closer as the authorities beg him to wear a mask and to get vaccinated, and each time he tells them, “y’all go on, God’s gonna take care of me…”

“… and the scene shifts to heaven; the feller’s graveyard dead. Drownded… on his own lungs. And he says to God ‘I told them doctors you were gonna take care of me. I’m embarrassed.’ And God says,

’You dummy! I sent you masks and a vaccine!’”

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Bullneck said:

RALEIGH, Miss. (WLBT) - An 8th grader at Raleigh Junior High has died.

The announcement was made Saturday on the Raleigh High School Lion Pride Band’s Facebook page.

“It is with great sadness, and a broken heart, that I announce the passing of one of my 8th grade band students,” the post reads.

The teenager was described as “the perfect student” and that “every teacher loved her and wanted 30 more just like her.”

The post then asked for prayers for Raleigh Junior High, their band “and especially the family as they deal with this.”

The news comes weeks after the school’s former band director lost his battle with COVID. His wife would also pass from COVID days later.

I am guessing the Mississippi folks read this and come to the conclusion that you only die from COVID if you are involved with middle school band.  In all seriousness it’s a sad story and I wonder if the band director and his wife that died refused to get vaccinated.  

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0

Just now, Nivek said:

Let’s get your grandparents and parents on here and see if they have or had any values which are not acceptable today.

I would bet over 90% of people over the age of 65, no matter what race, color, religion they are have a good amount of racism and homophobia in them. Not saying it’s right but it was a product of the time they grew up in.  Thankfully I think the next generation has gotten less racist/homophobic and teen less with the generations after that.  We aren’t prefect yet but I do believe there are a lot less racist and homophobic people now and the trend will continue that way for the years to come. 

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I hate stories like this using a specific kids death for political points, that said I really wish middle and high schools across the country would put vaccination ahead of mask mandates. I would love to see free vaccines offered at every middle and high school in the country whether they need parent permission to get it is fine just make it real clear and easy.  The teen vaccine rates are incredibly low right now.

37 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I hate stories like this using a specific kids death for political points, that said I really wish middle and high schools across the country would put vaccination ahead of mask mandates. I would love to see free vaccines offered at every middle and high school in the country whether they need parent permission to get it is fine just make it real clear and easy.  The teen vaccine rates are incredibly low right now.

There are free vaccines everywhere in the US right now, but I agree they should also be at schools. I don’t think a person should need their parents permission to protect themselves from a deadly disease. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Comedy tends to be inappropriate, kind of the nature of the beast.  Eddie Murphy was the funniest mf’er on the planet for a lengthy period of time.  Party all the time was not good and will continue to be not good.  Carry on.

You are all right. Party All the Time was transcendentally bad to the point of goodness. It was as if William Shatner’s vanity album had Rick James in the recording studio.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1