Chili w/o beans

Dutch

On 2/12/2021 at 11:31 PM, NorthLoop said:

I feel like when I was a young lad on shaggy making my first batch of chili, that you were one of the ones giving me advice. 

since @NorthLoop gave me this pep talk I’ve made two pots of chili. First wasn’t thick enough and needed more heat, but very good. Second was good but for some reason I added a can of tomato paste and it wasn’t needed. Still needed heat but thickness and texture was great. 

I have high hopes for my next pot 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yesterday I got to thinking about alternatives to masa harina in thickening up a chili.  I feel like I can always taste it.  I've used flour, but it can clump.  Cornstarch slurries seem the most effective without changing the flavor for the negative.

Then it hit me -- "first, you make a roux".  Why not start a pot of red with a classic roux?  So, I did.  I used Alton Brown's method of combining flour and fat in equal parts by weight (in this case, 90 grams each), whisking in the Dutch oven that will be used for the chili, and baking 60-90 minutes in a 350 F oven.  I stirred it about every 20 minutes, and stopped at "medium", because the more one cooks a roux, the more flavor it develops (good) but the less effective it is at thickening (bad).

I gotta tell you, it worked amazingly well.  The roux gave the chili a nice sheen, and the gravy was as smooth as I've ever made.  (This was even using one of the chili "kits" that I've been working on.)  Chili from dried chile powders can be gritty if one doesn't go to great lengths, like blooming the chile powders in oil, etc.  I feel like I went a little heavy on the roux, so I'll probably dial it back to 50 grams each flour and oil.  Oh yeah, I used a small top round roast for the meat, diced to about a half inch.

Here are photos of the finished roux, the meat browning in the roux along with half the chili kit, and finally the finished product:

May-23-2021-chili-roux.jpg

May-23-2021-chili-browning.jpg

May-23-2021-chili.jpg

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I feel like @jimmyjazz should have already brought his mix kits to market by now.  Make a dart bowl enchilada chili mix and just print money. 

I'd love to have the time.  I have two kits I feel are finished -- an attempt to reproduce the legendary San Antonio Chili Queens recipe (to whatever degree one can be "faithful"), and a more modern Texas red that includes tomatoes.  I prefer the latter.

What I want to do is shoot both out against commercial kits and see if there's any point moving forward, but . . . life, job, family.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just started my first batch of homemade chili. Using the @jimmyjazz recipe on the first page. pretty much doing the recipe printed but a few different peppers numbers. Haven’t read past the first 4 or so pages of this thread but look forward to reading it.  And trying this Chili.  The house smells amazing. Low 50°s tonight so perfect time for some bad ass chili. (Hopefully) 

C3807237-6C5A-401F-B95F-975C183463BC.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

Damn that was delicious.  Again. I used jimmyjazz recipe from the first page. I didn’t get enough guajillo peppers so used 7-8 chipotle peppers in place of the 4 called for. 
I think my ratio of chipotles overpowered or the dish a little as well 

Definitely needs more heat.  The cumin I thought was just a tad bit much. I’ll knock 1/2T off next time. 

how can I up the heat with out adding store bought hot sauce garbage? Will floating a couple peppers in it help with heat that much? 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Skipper said:

How the hell is this on page 3 the last weekend in October (when it finally won't be in the 80's, at least in Dallas). Bumping for anyone else searching for ideas this Halloween weekend.

Asshole. Now I have to go back and read the entire thread.....again......

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/19/2021 at 11:38 AM, Eugene11 said:

Damn that was delicious.  Again. I used jimmyjazz recipe from the first page. I didn’t get enough guajillo peppers so used 7-8 chipotle peppers in place of the 4 called for. 
I think my ratio of chipotles overpowered or the dish a little as well 

Definitely needs more heat.  The cumin I thought was just a tad bit much. I’ll knock 1/2T off next time. 

how can I up the heat with out adding store bought hot sauce garbage? Will floating a couple peppers in it help with heat that much? 

IMO any new peppers need to be added fresh, not steeped in the liquid. Dice a few raw serranos or a habanero or two in there and it will be noticeable. Also, In my experience chili never hurts from more chipotle peppers 

Edited by Etexhorn13

• 3 weeks later...
TBD is one of my favorite charities

They’re awesome.
I’m doing the Menchaca VFW Saturday, we always need judges. Come on out.
Free chili and free beer.
I’ll have my portable disc golf basket set up, the kids like to throw at it.
And there’s this bad boy.
0729cd1a85250055f44cc47be4b60de5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk