COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

2 hours ago, Stringer said:

I tried to get in today and it says I need a login for the Dashboards.  Anyone else having this issue?  Do I need a login to access public information now?

Same. Looks to be a free login but they seem to want to know who is using the page.  You can use Microsoft or google or Apple ID I think I saw, right before the “fuck this” and tab close. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

18 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

When can we drop this stupid requirement for Americans to have to take a Covid test when returning from international travel? There is no way it has any public health benefit, and all it causes is wasted time, money, and anxiety for our own citizens.

About the time we stop taking our shoes off at the general airport security. Our government does very illogical things in perpetuity until enough people force them to change it.

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My church, which is a bunch of librulz, just announced that it's doing away with masks starting on March 13.  Because God is our copilot. 

My office did the same, for the Monday after. Presumably not for the same reason. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My office did the same, for the Monday after. Presumably not for the same reason. 

Oh, and my firm is doing the same on that Monday as well.  I've been hearing of other companies doing the same that week.  Maybe everyone feels confident that we'll be at Stage 3 or lower by then.

Holy shit that’s right and I think if I remember correctly we were going to play the 1130 game in the big 12 tournament and I remember listening to it in a parking lot going to a lunch meeting and Craig Way said that the officials were conferring at the scores table.  And they decided to cancel the whole tournament and then the rest of the day was just one cancellation after another all over the world.  And here I am posting this in a parking lot going to a lunch meeting two years later.  
and we just tipped off with Tcu

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

Holy shit that’s right and I think if I remember correctly we were going to play the 1130 game in the big 12 tournament and I remember listening to it in a parking lot going to a lunch meeting and Craig Way said that the officials were conferring at the scores table.  And they decided to cancel the whole tournament and then the rest of the day was just one cancellation after another all over the world.  And here I am posting this in a parking lot going to a lunch meeting two years later.  
and we just tipped off with Tcu

did we win by more than 5.5? Thats something I would like to know by say, 11:30AM tomorrow. K thx.

Yeah I thought 9/11 was going to be the main ‘there I was’ storyline of my generation but I remember thinking ‘that’s a bit extreme’ when a coworker was told to quarantine for two weeks after returning from Japan in late February 2020.  

Then in mid-March was on a conference call with her, telling me I probably shouldn’t be in the office, but I brushed it off.  After the call I stood up, looked around and realized I was one of only about a dozen people on the whole floor which normally held several hundred.  Started reading the news and everything was being canceled in short order.  That was my last day in the office and doubt I’m ever going back. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So are we going to see a slight uptick in cases after Spring Break? McCallum High reported 4 cases today. Not a lot, but this is after pretty much nothing for the past several weeks. And my son’s friend’s mom tested positive today.

Dashboard still looks great. How much of Texas was off last week vs 2 weeks ago or this week?

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So are we going to see a slight uptick in cases after Spring Break? McCallum High reported 4 cases today. Not a lot, but this is after pretty much nothing for the past several weeks. And my son’s friend’s mom tested positive today.

School sports are going full-bore, both spectators and participants, and masks are (mostly) off at schools.  While I'm sure spring break will cause an uptick, it would probably be hard to distinguish from those other things.

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

I’ve seen a few articles today reporting significant levels of Omicron Subvariant in wastewater but no increase in cases.  Also, significant percentage  of subvarient being identified in positive cases, again without surge in total cases.

The wastewater thing is simple - because enough people are vaccinated and/or plenty have had it recently, and because current variants are milder, a lot of people won't notice if they have it, or they'll brush it off as allergies or a cold.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

The wastewater thing is simple - because enough people are vaccinated and/or plenty have had it recently, and because current variants are milder, a lot of people won't notice if they have it, or they'll brush it off as allergies or a cold.

That, and levels are so low that they can double or triple and still be very low, but provide a nice attention grabbing headline. 

5 people in my pharmacy, including myself, got covid over the past 2 weeks. Since the pandemic began we had never had more than 2 out at once. There are 18 of us or so working each day. While we have been a bit more lax than before we are all still masked 95 percent of the time. I still can't wrap my head around so many people getting it with how careful we are. If the new strain is this contagious I don't see how we avoid another wave. And my symptoms kinda sucked. We are all vaxed. 

Edited by UTGrad98
Words

On 3/3/2022 at 1:40 PM, wild_turkey said:

When can we drop this stupid requirement for Americans to have to take a Covid test when returning from international travel? There is no way it has any public health benefit, and all it causes is wasted time, money, and anxiety for our own citizens.

It accomplishes zero for preventing further spread of the virus. This rule has to change 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Wait, when you say “new strain,” are you talking about Omicron, or something else?

it's the new omicron.  BA.2.  

Another wave is coming this summer.  And then another one next winter.  It's already started in the UK. 

Fortunately, lockdowns and school closures are done for good.  Masks will probably come back, which sucks because I don't think they do much (based on RCTs and the way most people use them), but I'll go with the flow for my fellow man.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Another wave is coming this summer.  And then another one next winter.  It's already started in the UK. 

Fortunately, lockdowns and school closures are done for good.  Masks will probably come back, which sucks because I don't think they do much (based on RCTs and the way most people use them), but I'll go with the flow for my fellow man.  

I'll be shocked if the top of the curve of the next wave related to BA.2 is 1/2 of peak Omicron from December/January.  Just way too many Omicron antibodies out there. It's been circulating in the US for quite some time now and barely moved the needle statistically

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

There will be other waves just like there is for the flu every year but ultimately it won’t affect society like before. It will become a slightly more deadly and more contagious version of the flu that is more deadly because ignorant people refuse to get the vaccine. That’s their choice I guess.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/24/2022 at 7:12 PM, JimmyJames said:

There will be other waves just like there is for the flu every year but ultimately it won’t affect society like before. It will become a slightly more deadly and more contagious version of the flu that is more deadly because ignorant people refuse to get the vaccine. That’s their choice I guess.

I think this is the most likely outcome.  We have long had one respiratory virus that can kill 80k a year in a bad year.  Now, we're going to add another that, going forward, may kill twice that in a year.  And we'll learn to live with that way of things.

And as to both, there will be an easy, safe vaccine available that will dramatically increase the survivability, and millions upon millions will refuse to get it, because reasons.

How we made it this far as a species is a mystery to me.

• Like 1

https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/hhs/2019-nCoV/2022-COVID-19-Summaries/2022-Summaries-03/DCHHS COVID-19 Summary 03-25-2022.pdf

Dallas County summary for week ending 3/25 (data is actually through 3/19).

350 cases for the week ending 3/19 and 2.6% positive testing. Both lower than we were last summer in June.  Improvement in South Dallas on fully vaccinated status.  Still a couple of hold out zips but overall pretty good.