Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

It's amusing watching this show with my wife and 14 year old son.  The Sheffield Wednesday thing went completely over her head and he was cracking up, the other 90% of this particular episode went pretty over his head and she was cracking up.  You probably need to be more up on pop culture, current and historical than soccer to get all the greatness of this show (and yes the John Holmes thing went over both of their heads last week and I was cracking up)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/15/2021 at 4:34 PM, Js1 said:

Hi 911, the tv show I watch isn’t realistic nor does it air episodes in the order I want or resolving plot lines to my liking.  

image.gif.1605c151437cd3f98e935ba779bbf84a.gif

I don't know about y'all but I'm over reality at the moment. Give me Ted Lasso escapism any day.

On 8/15/2021 at 8:29 PM, Stringer said:

I could be wrong, but I think there is about a 2% chance Ted and Rebecca get together. This creative team seems too smart for that and it would ruin the show. I see them more in the Fey/Baldwin 30 Rock dynamic. That doesn’t mean that the dating app wouldn’t put them together for some lolz, but they wouldn’t follow through with it.

This is what I thought, but after yesterday's episode, I'm not so sure. Maybe the Bantr thing will be a fake-out? 

On 8/14/2021 at 9:11 PM, tx ind said:

Not enough love for this song. It's so great.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, HornPhD said:

My wife is a consultant and says the “make yourself bigger” visualization strategy is an actual thing; however, roaring isn’t part of it. 

Yea duh. I mean there is even a TedTalk about it that’s at least a decade old and I know I’ve been going to the bathroom and doing the “Superman pose” (hands on hips, elbows out, big chest) and walking crotch first into big time meetings for at least that long as well.

”As you wish” was an underrated RomCom one liner but one that I thought this audience would be quoting like mad on this thread.

16 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Then give in to the dark forest put down your sword and end the story.  

15 hours ago, mdleast said:

b49e4993f37564fac6017217c4029bc8.jpg

14 hours ago, mdleast said:

Great episode. Great homages to romcoms. Great use of She’s a Rainbow. Also obviously note that the rickshaw that Roy takes is decorated like a rainbow.

For those of y’all who are hating on the gift of these episodes, I don’t know…I guess go watch the news or whatever else makes you equally unhappy?

11 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

F the haters. Absolute  Dorks 

2 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886ct39mddnugr84czc0h

Yikes. Y’all are a defensive bunch. Enjoy the happy little show, guys.

Mortynight-Run.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

I asked my wife: do people consider The Princess Bride a rom-com?

oh and way less Nate. Please. 

Nate opened the season as a totally different character- an overly co did et dickhead- and now he's suddenly reverted back to a sniveling, stuttering little man with less than zero confidence. i'm enjoying the show, but the whole Nate thing makes zero sense.

and yeah, i'm praying that Ted and Rebecca don't get together.

Nate opened the season as a totally different character- an overly co did et dickhead- and now he's suddenly reverted back to a sniveling, stuttering little man with less than zero confidence. i'm enjoying the show, but the whole Nate thing makes zero sense.
and yeah, i'm praying that Ted and Rebecca don't get together.

This was my only issue with this one as well. Nate was early season 1 Nate. Would have made more sense to have this story line in episode 1 and then his being an ass as a result of his new direct approach.

21 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

“Enjoy the game.”

”Fuck you.”

”It is you!”

That was perfection.

20 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

if you didn't get chills when the fans saw roy on the sideline, then you're dead inside.

Yep.  And it got a little dusty in here.

19 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Wow. Okay.

Y’all are clearly enjoying it, so I won’t rain on your parade. But this is a different show compared to Season 1 (which I watched three times through) and it’s no longer resonating with me at all.

So, you're dead inside.  It's ok.  Lots of people live like that.

Cheers!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

This was my only issue with this one as well. Nate was early season 1 Nate. Would have made more sense to have this story line in episode 1 and then his being an ass as a result of his new direct approach.

Nate is still Nate, except when he is dealing with the new Kit Man.  He acts like an ass towards that kid because it's his former turf and he feels protective of it.  He thinks the new kid isn't doing things the way he would, so he's doing it wrong.

He'll get right when he lets that go.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I kind of agree with Brick, this seems like a different show than Season 1. And that’s ok. I still enjoy it quite a bit. Nothing wrong with being blindly happy these days for sure.

Good and different, is a good way to sum it up.

It’s always a dangerous thing to read your own press clippings, good or bad.

On 8/21/2021 at 11:57 AM, yoladu said:

I asked my wife: do people consider The Princess Bride a rom-com?

oh and way less Nate. Please. 

It is not a rom-com. Also, there was an Always Sunny worlds colliding moment near the beginning. This Instagram post makes way more sense after seeing the episode. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS1l4sbHGoc/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

I kind of agree with Brick, this seems like a different show than Season 1. And that’s ok. I still enjoy it quite a bit. Nothing wrong with being blindly happy these days for sure.

It's a much "easier" story to tell in Season 1. Unorthodox, unwelcome new coach slowly wins over team, fans, and ownership is pretty familiar cinematic territory. The story beats take care of themselves, and they can focus on the humor and heart of the show. 

This season, thus far, feels a little more rudderless. Coach everyone loves, regardless of results, guides team through middle of season mediocrity? Jaimie is...what exactly? I couldn't possibly care less about the Nate being jealous of Roy and Ted awkwardly finding out that he's flirting with his boss storylines that they're setting up.

Still a fantastic show, but I'm watching for the jokes and feel-good nature of the show more than I am because I particularly care about the development or success of any of the characters. Nothing wrong with that, but it is different than Season 1.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

It's a much "easier" story to tell in Season 1. Unorthodox, unwelcome new coach slowly wins over team, fans, and ownership is pretty familiar cinematic territory. The story beats take care of themselves, and they can focus on the humor and heart of the show. 

This season, thus far, feels a little more rudderless. Coach everyone loves, regardless of results, guides team through middle of season mediocrity? Jaimie is...what exactly? I couldn't possibly care less about the Nate being jealous of Roy and Ted awkwardly finding out that he's flirting with his boss storylines that they're setting up.

Still a fantastic show, but I'm watching for the jokes and feel-good nature of the show more than I am because I particularly care about the development or success of any of the characters. Nothing wrong with that, but it is different than Season 1.

Agree wholeheartedly with you but also, there is still time for the show to surprise us and recapture that season 1 magic potentially. I guess it's hard to remain ground-breaking and culturally relevant once you've established yourself, so even if season 1 was the anomaly and season 2 is what this show is, I've come around after the Christmas episode and reading about why it was there, at that this is still a fun 30 minutes, just different like eating a bunch of sugar for the quick laughs and cheap hits of fun.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I felt Nate was more "old" Nate this episode because of his parents. That was the Nate he had always been with them. 

New Nate is on purpose. He is getting his first taste of authority as a coach and he is learning how to be a leader. So far, Ted and beard just exchange glances when they see him acting poorly in the new role. His role with his parents hasn’t changed, but he wants it to. Just doesn’t know how to do it. 

I see this season as revolving around leadership and what it does and doesn’t mean- from Nate to Led Tasso to Roy with the girls and that one mom, to mcadoo as the new captain, probably to Roy coaching the boys and jamie learning to lead as well. Parental relationships have been touched on from Ted and his son, to Nate and his parents, to Jamie and his dad, to sassy smurfette with aunt stinky. 

and all that without mentioning dr fieldstone- whom interestingly we only know from her conversations with Ted. None of her work with the players has been shared. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

New Nate is on purpose. He is getting his first taste of authority as a coach and he is learning how to be a leader. So far, Ted and beard just exchange glances when they see him acting poorly in the new role. His role with his parents hasn’t changed, but he wants it to. Just doesn’t know how to do it. 

I see this season as revolving around leadership and what it does and doesn’t mean- from Nate to Led Tasso to Roy with the girls and that one mom, to mcadoo as the new captain, probably to Roy coaching the boys and jamie learning to lead as well. Parental relationships have been touched on from Ted and his son, to Nate and his parents, to Jamie and his dad, to sassy smurfette with aunt stinky. 

and all that without mentioning dr fieldstone- whom interestingly we only know from her conversations with Ted. None of her work with the players has been shared. 

good points in Nate's leadership, confidence story arc. First Ted pushed Nate back and didn't want Nate talking to the team capt. about the captain's issues. Then Nate wasn't given a free coffeemaker. Then he couldn't secure a good table reservation at an local restaurant, which also made Rebecca unintentionally make fun of Nate.  I will give Rebecca respect that she opened up how she has low confidence around other owners.  

If we're getting on the psychological deep dive, I didn't like that Nate followed Rebecca's advice about making himself larger, by spitting on his mirror image. That seems very unhealthy to effectively spit on yourself. It was a decent ending for Nate that Roy took the 4th spot on the coach lineup on the field after Nate.