2020 PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES: Joe Biden vs Donald Trump

Mrs Whiggins

Just now, Xian said:

No one is freaking out over ending subsidies.   Joe said he would “shut down the oil industry”. That is a huge difference. 

Those of us who have been in O&G in the last two decades know that isn't possible over the next two decades. Those who truly believe that it's even possible to shut down the oil industry during Biden's potential 8 years weren't voting for Biden to begin with. They talked a big game in '08 about coming down hard on the oil industry and what happened? The exact opposite.

I'm extremely surprised that you have as many Biden voters in your circle because my circle in the industry is a straight R ticket voter every election.

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Well, Biden just lost Texas.  Why did you take that bait, man?

transitioning from petro to sustainable over the next 30 years will position the US to lead the planet for the rest of the millenium.

Houston will become the global capital for sustainable energy that doesn't rely on rare-earth metals.  This will release china's stranglehold over the us economy, not because of finance, or manufacturing, but because they own 93% of the rare-earth metal supply.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I didn’t watch, but for all of you saying that it was a good night for trump when I just know he didn’t answer any of the questions superficial and explicitly shows you how fucked up this is that trump gets away with having a “good night” when his good night would have been an automatic disqualification for anyone else.  

Stop giving this nigga a pass. 

fortuitous use of the n word is allowed.....

1 minute ago, Jeffrey said:

Not saying it moves the needle overall...but I indeed know lots of folks at IOCs who if they havent voted will think about their jobs with Brent at $40 and a slow recovery.

Everyone should make those considerations when evaluating whom to vote for.

If they vote for Trump thinking their jobs are guaranteed by him or some higher probability, they're welcome to.

Meh. Watched what he said. Didn’t say he was shutting sown the Oil and gas industry. Said we need to move towards more renewal energy, which we do. Trump supporters are clinging to this saying it will cause him to lose Texas. As if the price of oil was driving the suburban women vote. Which trump has caused to go way lower. Whatever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m sure Biden cleans that up to be clear he was talking about subsidies.  However those folks you are referring to...they were already voting for Trump.
Yep. Anyone looking for a reason at this point was going to find one.
538 had Biden with a 30% chance to win this afternoon. 
The coalition that would deliver Texas is not going to be dissuaded by that bit. I've been very bearish on Biden's chances here, but I don't think that comment is going to be a significant issue.

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

This was basically my last post about the energy industry (O&G companies) needing to evolve or die.  Just like IBM went from typewriters to computers and big box evolved to online sales.

Exactly.

AT&T stands for American Telephone & Telegraph.  They're still here.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

transitioning from petro to sustainable over the next 30 years will position the US to lead the planet for the rest of the millenium.

Houston will become the global capital for sustainable energy that doesn't rely on rare-earth metals.  This will release china's stranglehold over the us economy, not because of finance, or manufacturing, but because they own 93% of the rare-earth metal supply.

Seriously, no reason why Texas and Houston can’t  become the renewable energy hub/leader of the world. I wish Houston would investments more with renewable startups or companies innovating ways to capture pollutants, etc...

Edited by YChang

27 minutes ago, heso said:

Well, you have friends here that don’t have any. 

New phone, who dis?

22 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Well, Biden just lost Texas.  Why did you take that bait, man?

“Nothing matters anymore” is a two way street. The vast majority of voters in Texas don’t care. And for the record- an oil crash devastated my hometown (Dallas). We have a diversified economy now, and that means most people don’t get all bent out of shape about extraction.

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Some of y'all are acting like Biden just fumbled Texas at the goalline with that oil subsidy remark.  It's more like 3rd and Orlando from his own 15 with Texas.  Don't get your hopes up.

exactly 

3 minutes ago, Underdog said:

960full-police-academy-screenshot.jpg

I get this joke

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, YChang said:

The sad thing is, Texas can lead the nation in renewable energy production and transmission. 

not shit.  wesley hunt's bullshit "tHeY'rE cOmInG fOr TeXaS eNeRgY" ad drives me nuts.  this state leads in wind, can be close to the top in solar, and has a lot of untapped capacity for both.  that ad is fucking maddening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:
4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:
Uh, the $40 oil and slow recovery should have had them already thinking about their jobs.

Uh...yeah. it's about survival for many

Sounds like the manufacturing sector. Sure would've been nice if some forward thinking President had insured they could've transitioned to a newer industry as theirs was dying off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Not saying it moves the needle overall...but I indeed know lots of folks at IOCs who if they havent voted will think about their jobs with Brent at $40 and a slow recovery.

I made way more money in the industry under Obama/Biden than Trump/Pence. By a lot. Trump did nothing to bring the industry back and the average spot price wasn't much higher than $40, outside of a couple of spikes. I will repeat until I'm blue in the face that anyone who doesn't realize that the industry was healthier under Obama than Trump and truly believes that Biden will significantly damage the industry wasn't voting for Biden in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Jeffrey said:
2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:
Uh, the $40 oil and slow recovery should have had them already thinking about their jobs.

No shit? I'm one of those people, man. You're missing the entire point. Anyone with the ability to think analytically knows oil is fucked long term. If what Biden said tonight pushes them into voting for Trump because they think that will save their jobs then they're, for lack of a better word, stupid.

Now I don't deny that stupid people exist. I'm just saying that you're playing into their stupidity. The industry is contracting and jobs will be lost and it will likely never be as big an industry as it once was. Biden's statement didn't cause that and won't accelerate it.

• Hook 'Em 2

I didn’t watch, but for all of you saying that it was a good night for trump when I just know he didn’t answer any of the questions specifically and explicitly shows you how fucked up this is that trump gets away with having a “good night” when his good night would have been an automatic disqualification for anyone else.  
Stop giving this nigga a pass. 

Dude, he didn’t win ME. I’m considering how he may have affected 1) people looking for some comfort for their lean to vote Trump, 2) utterly ignorant voters who genuinely don’t know how to vote yet, and 3) people who might have leaned Biden but were shaky. Now, all three groups are probably pretty small. But I think Trump did ok, in terms of those audiences. But he needed better than ok.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Texas needs to face the fucking reality that renewable energy is what needs to happen. 

As California was to the IT industry, so should Texas be to renewable energy.

The fucking Germans are years ahead of schedule and achieved 50% sustainable in 20Q1.

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news/germany-marks-first-ever-quarter-more-50-pct-renewable-electricity

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

All the moral and ethical reasons to not vote for Trump have already been laid bare for the world to examine. Anyone waiting to tip their hand towards him based off any statement just so that they can continue to tell all and sundry that they aren't racist, prejudiced or bigoted and it's really just about the economy is a liar.

And while at it, the moralizing from the farmers and big Oil towards a certain demographic about bootstraps and making the most out of what life gives you while they are some of the biggest benefactors of government largesse is hypocrisy at its finest.

Biden still has to convince a certain segment of the Left that he is a guy they should go vote for. He has already hedged towards the moderate position on a couple of issues important to that group. Why would further distancing himself from them to make a play for Texas be the lock-proof correct move?

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Huckleberry said:

No shit? I'm one of those people, man. You're missing the entire point. Anyone with the ability to think analytically knows oil is fucked long term. If what Biden said tonight pushes them into voting for Trump because they think that will save their jobs then they're, for lack of a better word, stupid.

Now I don't deny that stupid people exist. I'm just saying that you're playing into their stupidity. The industry is contracting and jobs will be lost and it will likely never be as big an industry as it once was. Biden's statement didn't cause that and won't accelerate it.

“I’m gonna bring back coal.”

Not that they’re honest, but ask the folks in coal country about how many jobs have been brought back. 

From an outside Texas perspective, 98% of the rest of us don’t understand or give a shit about a little discomfort felt by oil and gas people.

Fair or not, that industry is in the same boat as pharmaceuticals - they’re big and bad and evil to “regular people”.

(As someone who worked in pharma for 15+ years, I speak from experience. It sucks when people revile you for what they THINK you do for a living.)

And, man, y’all love to freak out. UT football has scarred most of y’all something awful. Bad case of catastrophe syndrome up in here.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

Trump said

The kids in cages are treated very well. 

Immigrants who obey laws are idiots 

Brought up Biden’s dead son

Gaslight highlights include:

The market will crash with Biden

We are rounding the corner

Fauci was wrong a lot 

Biden is a criminal controlled by Russia 

Joe is not from Scranton 

This was only close if you ignore reality 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Geez DAhobbs, you need to chill, with you on the rag and throwing all the negs you're going to catch toxic shock syndrome.

We'll all be alive tomorrow, (and hopefully for a long time). Regardless of what happens so quit being so triggered.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Fuck You 1

At le

Just now, Bama Chick said:

From an outside Texas perspective, 98% of the rest of us don’t understand or give a shit about a little discomfort felt by oil and gas people.

Fair or not, that industry is in the same boat as pharmaceuticals - they’re big and bad and evil to “regular people”.

(As someone who worked in pharma for 15+ years, I speak from experience. It sucks when people revile you for what they THINK you do for a living.)

And, man, y’all love to freak out. UT football has scarred most of y’all something awful. Bad case of catastrophe syndrome up in here.

I will not be lectured by someone whose governor's nickname is "Pass the Biscuits".

• Haha 1

From a debate perspective, Trump was smart to press Biden on his eternal career in politics. Why should we believe he will do something now? Otherwise I’m struggling to find any other checks in the win column.

Biden was landing haymakers. “Guy has a dog whistle the size of a foghorn.”

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:
12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Dude, we get it. You think Joe's comment about oil is going to make a bunch of people vote for Trump. How many times are you going to say it? 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I made way more money in the industry under Obama/Biden than Trump/Pence. By a lot. Trump did nothing to bring the industry back and the average spot price wasn't much higher than $40, outside of a couple of spikes. I will repeat until I'm blue in the face that anyone who doesn't realize that the industry was healthier under Obama than Trump and truly believes that Biden will significantly damage the industry wasn't voting for Biden in the first place.

No shit, bunch of fucking chicken littles on this thread. 

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

From a debate perspective, Trump was smart to press Biden on his eternal career in politics. Why should we believe he will do something now? Otherwise I’m struggling to find any other checks in the win column.

Biden was landing haymakers. “Guy has a dog whistle the size of a foghorn.”

I guess he’s fine to press it, but it passes no smell test for anyone with an IQ in 3 digits. “Why didn’t you fix racism when you were a senator from Delaware? All talk.” 

get fucked with that shit. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

I used to live in Midland

Let me tell you something that is an absolute truth. O & G was always voting for Trump. Right down from the executives to the drivers, and the floorhands and everyone else. 

Midland/Odessa turned republican in the 70s way before anyone else did. They were true crusaders on that. 

If you think Biden’s answer moves the needle well you are a moron. 

You think the suburban wife in Round Rock gives a flying fuck about the oil industry? 

Well if you do then you are special like Forrest Gump was. Hopefully your mom didn’t have to bang the principal to get you a good education. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Xian said:

He said he would straight up shut down oil. Not just the oil subsides.  

He said transition. And that is the answer. He isn't lying. And It'll happen whether the President does it or not. He probably should have hidden in a bit more words, but I don't think it is going to cause the damage y'all think. 

7 minutes ago, naija said:

Biden still has to convince a certain segment of the Left that he is a guy they should go vote for. He has already hedged towards the moderate position on a couple of issues important to that group. Why would further distancing himself from them to make a play for Texas be the lock-proof correct move?

I think one of the reasons HC lost was that she didn't put enough effort into "helping the folks displaced by renewable energy".  I think Joe could have made the same point while showing he was caring by saying that we need to transition from fossil fuels, but that he is confident that sophisticated oil companies will be on the forefront of new developments, and "those companies" aren't going anywhere and fossil fuels will be around for a while and the need for carbon based fertilizer isn't going anywhere either.

It was a way to score points with climate change, show you care, and it fit in nicely with his approach to fracking.  Could have been a win win.