COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Just now, statsman said:

While we’re asking questions- do people that got it once, with manageable symptoms, ever get it again with a bad case (hospital or death)?

I mean people get the flu a lot and then at some point for whatever reason it kills them (usually when they are old or something else bad is going on) so I think would be safe to assume like that respiratory infection the same has/will hold true here.

I think omicron might get us there.  I fully expect to get infected.  It's just a matter of when, and how much it disrupts my schedule at this point.
There is not eradication in play. Animal reservoirs and non-sterilizing vaccines. It's not even on the board at this point.  

This is the first vaccine for a corona virus ever. We've had the seasonal cold for 100s of years. We're never getting herd immunity IMO.

I most likely had it Christmas day. Couldn't get a test but I had the type of symptoms of a boosted person including the new symptom of night sweats.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, midtown said:
38 minutes ago, Anastasis said:
We'll convert enough folks eventually that it looks like a cold.  Just a matter of time.  

Agreed and it's pretty much there. Let's just go on. No more restrictions on travel etc.

Amen. 

It feels like omicron converted (pun intended) a large amount of the population to this mindset. It’s been eye opening to realize that you can still so easily contract and pass it around.  Gigavax or not, your choice.

I’m sure it’s been discussed upthread but got dang the Pfizer booster sucks ass. Got it at about 3 yesterday, and about 2a thru 7A I had to put drops in my eyes from being dry. Mouth dry as well but I keep water bedside. Pretty stopped up this morning early and then from about 10a until 4ish a terrible sinus headache. May have been a coincidence but I don’t get sinus headaches ever.

Feeling better now except for my shoulder where it still feels like I got hit with a bat if I touch it on something.

Why are you fucksticks liking my post? That was a miserable 24 hours. Hope my Pfizer brothers out there did better than me.

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I mean people get the flu a lot and then at some point for whatever reason it kills them (usually when they are old or something else bad is going on) so I think would be safe to assume like that respiratory infection the same has/will hold true here.

If you had the choice would you rather get Covid or the flu right now?

On 1/1/2022 at 10:35 PM, markstanco said:

Why are you fucksticks liking my post? That was a miserable 24 hours. Hope my Pfizer brothers out there did better than me.

Ha. With the limited emoticons on here, I always figured the hook’em response to a poster announcing a positive covid test was more of a “dang, that sucks, hope you feel better”. Least that’s how I’ve been using it, dunno about others.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, achooloco said:

Ha. With the limited emoticons on here, I always figured the hook’em response to a poster announcing a positive covid test was more of a “dang, that sucks, hope you feel better”. Least that’s how I’ve been using it, dunno about others.

Same.  I mean I guess I can change my "hookem" response to the middle finger emogi in a "fuck, that sucks" posture?

• Hook 'Em 2

Even if she did get a booster shot, what would it have to do with her dying. She was 99. She was no more likely to wake up than not wake up very morning. My Grandpa died last Christmas Eve 3 weeks after turning 100. He was tested and was positive for Covid. Did Covid kill him or did he die of natural causes? Who the fuck cares, he was 100.

• Hook 'Em 2

^
Good point.  Same fucking idiots that couldn't wait to jump on the internet after Sec. Powell died with Covid, and claim the vaccination/booster was worthless.  He was an 84-year old with Multiple Myeloma.  Arguably the worst fucking blood cancer ever conceived on this planet.  The General had no illusions about walking out of that hospital alive.  His own white blood cells devoured his body from the inside out, the Covid was just a spectator. 

We all have polio vaccines coursing through our veins, does that mean it was that mandatory shot I took in 1981 for Kindergarten is my original cause of death?  

This virus has a lot of anti-vaxxer stupid people left to kill.  And I'd like to think Betty White will be there in the after-life to greet them and say in her soft and comforting voice, "Oh darling, there's been some terrible mistake.  See that...back there...when you used my death to spread your politicized lies?  I'm afraid that won't fly here.  Why in Saint Olaf, we would have tarred and feathered you.  But they're more forgiving up here, thank goodness.  But you'll never know...go to hell fuckface!"  

The last 6 or so months, I have had an increasing ringing in my ears.  I really noticed a jump shortly after my booster.  Looking around on the internet, there isn't anything definitive or peer reviewed, but there have been reports of ringing after vaccine and the British Tinnitus Association has named it as a rare side effect.  Going to the doctor in a couple of weeks, so hope to know more.  Would super suck if this is permanent from the vaccine.  

15 minutes ago, Stringer said:

The last 6 or so months, I have had an increasing ringing in my ears.  I really noticed a jump shortly after my booster.  Looking around on the internet, there isn't anything definitive or peer reviewed, but there have been reports of ringing after vaccine and the British Tinnitus Association has named it as a rare side effect.  Going to the doctor in a couple of weeks, so hope to know more.  Would super suck if this is permanent from the vaccine.  

My dad had this same issue and blames the Moderna vaccine. It was hell getting him to get a booster. His lasted Feb-March to about October. 

I have shoulder pain.  Probably mild case of frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) in both shoulders, worse on left where injection was.

Came on after second Moderna, was getting better, then booster.  For about a week after the booster, pain had resolved, now it's back.  Worse in the mornings, improves to nearly disappears as the day progresses.  Rinse repeat.

I have shoulder pain.  Probably mild case of frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) in both shoulders, worse on left where injection was.
Came on after second Moderna, was getting better, then booster.  For about a week after the booster, pain had resolved, now it's back.  Worse in the mornings, improves to nearly disappears as the day progresses.  Rinse repeat.

I do too.

Of course mine is more likely from the rotator cuff surgery I had last month.
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I do too.

Of course mine is more likely from the rotator cuff surgery I had last month.

Did any of the shots seem to aggravate your shoulder, either before or after surgery?  I broke collarbone a couple of years ago, and after the last two shots, I can feel the soft tissue around the reshaped clavicle more than in the past.  Doesn't hurt, per se, but seems like both shoulders are slightly inflamed, along with surrounding region.

Did any of the shots seem to aggravate your shoulder, either before or after surgery?  I broke collarbone a couple of years ago, and after the last two shots, I can feel the soft tissue around the reshaped clavicle more than in the past.  Doesn't hurt, per se, but seems like both shoulders are slightly inflamed, along with surrounding region.

I got boosted in October. Surgery early December.

I didn’t notice any additional pain before the surgery.

8 hours ago, Stringer said:

I think just about any side effect of getting Covid like tinnitus can be a side effect of getting vaccinated, so that’s probably legit. Remember the Texas Roadhouse CEO killed himself after he got Covid because he had overwhelming tinnitus. 

• Fuck You 1

On 12/5/2021 at 12:59 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Got boosted Thursday. Friday morning felt goofy, no appetite. Friday evening had a 100 degree fever but was babbling as if it were higher-- my verbal skills were limited to shouting unrelated words. Crashed for about 40 hours, Saturday didn't exist as I wallowed in my own sweat-soaked sheets like some failed French canal-digger in Panama. Sunday morning came out of it sufficiently to accomplish tasks like making coffee or walking up and down stairs.

My experience with the booster this week.  Well, minus the verbal issues, and only around 24 hours of shittiness.  

• Drool 1

My bud light didn’t taste good after my booster last week. Feature or bug?

honestly nothing other than slightly sore shoulder for 24 hours. Nothing like my first shot chills and low fever and basically feeling like crap for 24 hours. Moderna all 3. I also got my flu vax 3 weeks ago so I am sure my body was just prepared for the fight.

Meh. As long as the original vaccination and/or booster prevent severe disease there will be fewer and fewer people getting covid shots. 

Correct. If they reformulated it each year to match the dominant strain, like we do with the flu shot, then people will get an additional booster without much resistance. But if the message isTo get a shot every 120 days, they are going to lose people rather rapidly.
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Meh. As long as the original vaccination and/or booster prevent severe disease there will be fewer and fewer people getting covid shots. 

But will it be “forced” by changing the definition of fully vaccinated.  NCAA has changed their definition. 

One of the guys on my team got covid and didn't really feel that bad, but he said he had constant hiccups for 4 days, longest break was like an hour. He went to the Dr he had some stomach issue that the doc said covid made worse. Had endoscopy and then surgery on his stomach. I didn't ask all the details but he said it was actually a blessing in disguise because he didn't know about the stomach issue. /Csb I know but damn some of the shit this thing causes is wild 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Correct. If they reformulated it each year to match the dominant strain, like we do with the flu shot, then people will get an additional booster without much resistance. But if the message isTo get a shot every 120 days, they are going to lose people rather rapidly.

This.  It's getting a bit nuts.  Like the Attia podcast I posted about on the other thread discussed when it came to the proposition of never ending boosters, why are we treating antibody levels?  Yes, floating antibody levels are going to fall every 4 months.  That is 1 layer of immunity.  That doesn't mean you don't get a strong immune response.  It's getting a bit out of control - the goal here was never to not get a cold, it's to not end up in the hospital.  Way too many people are losing sight of our original objective.  It's like yesterday the CDC recommended 12-17 year olds "should" (not may) get a booster and there was literally zero discussion on the open panel about the BENEFIT of a booster in that age group where there is virtually zero evidence healthy vaccinated kids are having any problems.   It's great that it's low risk and all but what is the goal?  Luckily it seems like more people in the medical community are starting to speak out about the need to find an end game here.  Especially considering Omicron is basically going to vax the entire country.

Again - I plugged it in the other thread but that Peter Attia podcast was really enlightening and drove home a lot of the stuff I've been thinking lately. Was nice to hear professionals that could articulate it.

Me personally, I'm glad I got boosted.  Especially given the mounting evidence that we really spaced our first 2 shots way too close together.  I think the booster is probably not necessary for my age group (41) but also not a bad idea.  But absent evidence to the contrary, I'm out on future boosters as well unless they come up with something next year that mixes in different variants and I haven't been naturally infected, then I might consider.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 7:59 PM, statsman said:

While we’re asking questions- do people that got it once, with manageable symptoms, ever get it again with a bad case (hospital or death)?

I know of someone that got it 3 times. First time asymptomatic. 2nd time was fairly sick for a week or so. 3rd time killed him. I assume he was not vaccinated.