A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

im certain of two things here........................

1. trump is soooooooooooooooo fucked

or

2. this country is sooooooooooooooooooo fucked if trump gets away with all this 

I played golf this weekend with a guy who proceeded to explain to me afterwards that this is all just a political nothingburger since he has personal insights into the NARA (via a Bush library administrator).  He contends that this is all just jockeying and happens all the time with outgoing administrations, and expressed skepticism with the FBI and DOJ's truthfulness.  I told him it was foolish to reach a conclusion before any evidence has been revealed and merely reflected his own cognitive dissonance.

And this guy is bright and successful.  The brain damage to a significant percentage of our country is astounding.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

or

Well, that's the problem, isn't it?

Trump has made this an actual existential crisis.  Either he is ended, or the Republic is ended.  He leaves no middle path.

And a sizable percentage of our country, including an ENTIRE political party, has opted for "end the Republic" as the preferable outcome.  Things only get worse, never better.

• Like 2

Call me a loon, neg rep me all you want, keep hurling insults, Etc.  But now I’m a right winger?  Did I miss a meeting?  
no seriously, did I miss one ‘cause I’m working the program.  
 Pretty sure my track record on here and in real life the last 6 years is anything bunt right-wing.  
Let it go man. No one cares.
  • Hook 'Em 5

40 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I played golf this weekend with a guy who proceeded to explain to me afterwards that this is all just a political nothingburger since he has personal insights into the NARA (via a Bush library administrator).  He contends that this is all just jockeying and happens all the time with outgoing administrations, and expressed skepticism with the FBI and DOJ's truthfulness.  I told him it was foolish to reach a conclusion before any evidence has been revealed and merely reflected his own cognitive dissonance.

And this guy is bright and successful.  The brain damage to a significant percentage of our country is astounding.

It apparently is true that there is some jockeying between NARA and outgoing administrations about "personal" vs. "presidential" records, the former of which a former potus is permitted to keep, and the latter of which belong to NARA.

There is NOT, as far as I have seen, jockeying regarding classified documents, that requires NARA to involve the DOJ.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
2 hours ago, YGIFS said:
Call me a loon, neg rep me all you want, keep hurling insults, Etc.  But now I’m a right winger?  Did I miss a meeting?  
 Pretty sure my track record on here and in real life the last 6 years is anything bunt right-wing.  

Let it go man. No one cares.

Why is that cunt so hung up on neg reps?

• Hook 'Em 1

SIAP as this was published/posted on Friday: https://news.yahoo.com/over-trump-indicted-220111093.html

It’s Over: Trump Will Be Indicted

Brad Moss

Fri, August 26, 2022 at 5:01 PM·4 min read

In this article:

Donald Trump

45th President of the United States

Brandon Bell/Getty Images

I have finally seen enough. Donald Trump will be indicted by a federal grand jury.

You heard me right: I believe Trump will actually be indicted for a criminal offense. Even with all its redactions, the probable cause affidavit published today by the magistrate judge in Florida makes clear to me three essential points:

(1) Trump was in unauthorized possession of national defense information, namely properly marked classified documents.

(2) He was put on notice by the U.S. Government that he was not permitted to retain those documents at Mar-a-Lago.

(3) He continued to maintain possession of the documents (and allegedly undertook efforts to conceal them in different places throughout the property) up until the FBI finally executed a search warrant earlier this month.

Read the Redacted Mar-a-Lago Affidavit the Feds Just Released

That is the ball game, folks. Absent some unforeseen change in factual or legal circumstances, I believe there is little left for the Justice Department to do but decide whether to wait until after the midterms to formally seek the indictment from the grand jury.

The cruelest irony for Trump is that it never needed to be this way.

Put aside that in the chaos following his election loss Trump’s team never undertook the normal procedure for properly sorting through and archiving his presidential records in coordination with the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Put aside that properly marked classified records were shipped to Mar-a-Lago and sat there for months until he began turning stuff over to NARA in late 2021.

If he had fully cooperated at that point, and returned all of the records to NARA last year, this likely never would have become a criminal matter. DOJ would have declined to take any action, notwithstanding the existence of the classified records, and it would have been a “no harm, no foul” situation. Just another minor story in the Trump saga of incompetence.

But Trump just could not bring himself to play by the rules. He turned over 15 boxes last January but did not turn over all the records. Political operatives from conservative organizations started whispering into his ear that he had legal precedent on his side to refuse to turn over the classified records to NARA (he did not). His lawyers surprisingly wrote a rather condescending letter to DOJ in May 2022, effectively arguing that even if there were still classified records at Mar-a-Lago the FBI lacked the authority to take any criminal action against Trump given his former status as president. Then, in June 2022 after the FBI executed a subpoena to recover more records at Mar-a-Lago, two Trump lawyers wrote (and one signed) a sworn affidavit reassuring the government there were no more classified records at the property.

We now know that statement was not true. The FBI found multiple more classified records, including some with markings for Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) during the search this month, and not just located in the storage room with the other boxes of records. They found records located in different parts of Mar-a-Lago.

Of course, there are various arguments for why a prosecution might not succeed in this situation.

There is the contention by Trump and his allies that he declassified the documents, whether through a “standing order” or more specific verbal action. No evidence has been produced corroborating that assertion, and there certainly is no indication that the classification markings themselves were ever revised to reflect the declassification. The Trump lawyers in May certainly did not provide any such evidence in their letter to DOJ, and they similarly provided no evidence of it in their “motion” filed earlier this week in district court in Florida seeking a Special Master.

And that is before we even consider if the classification status would matter for an Espionage Act prosecution, which only requires that the information relate to the national defense.

Trump’s Coup Attempt Will Always Be a Way Worse Crime Than Stealing Documents

There is also the issue of selective political prosecution and supposed bad faith by the government in its decision to pursue the case. This is something that has been mentioned ad nauseum by Trump allies on cable news, and was briefly mentioned in the “motion” filed earlier this week in court. Lacking from those arguments is anything beyond rank speculation. That will not fly in court. Just ask Sidney Powell how well it works to try to litigate in court the way you argue on cable news. Hint: it does not go well.

All in all, this case should and in my opinion will result in an indictment. Sure, an indictment does not equal a conviction. Trump is still assumed innocent until proven guilty. There are unknown variables like whether the prosecution would occur in Florida or in D.C. We do not know what evidence Trump might have to substantiate his declassification claim. And we do not know what the courts would say about his various arguments.

Get the popcorn ready either way.

Bradley P. Moss is a Partner and national security attorney at the Washington, D.C. Law Office of Mark S. Zaid, P.C. He can be found on Twitter at @BradMossEsq.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Mostly, I’d agree, though it is fair to label your work to publicly fund charter and private schools as right of center, wouldn’t you say? 

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

This is so stupid. We already know that CH did not exonerate him. Even if it did he would still be illegally in possession of classified documents.

Mulvaney is a weasel and he knows full well that he’s just spewing Trumpian bullshit. No one who parrots the “Russian hoax” line should be taken seriously. 

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It apparently is true that there is some jockeying between NARA and outgoing administrations about "personal" vs. "presidential" records, the former of which a former potus is permitted to keep, and the latter of which belong to NARA.

There is NOT, as far as I have seen, jockeying regarding classified documents, that requires NARA to involve the DOJ.

Jockeying or no, to take the position that there is "nothing to see here" before we've even seen anything, is what set me off. I told him that I'll be reserving any judgment unless and until evidence is revealed, and that it was foolish for him to conclude anything at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Mostly, I’d agree, though it is fair to label your work to publicly fund charter and private schools as right of center, wouldn’t you say? 

Sure, that's fair.  Few years ago worked with a group and IDEA schools on that since my family from Mexico got bussed all over creation in Texas to attend school.  Dropped it all during Covid-19 particularly when the conversation shifted to CRT, grooming, wokeness, no mandates, etc.  Wasn't hard to see that was all a front to turn "school choice" into something else altogether.  You and I know that, but Trump nation didn't quite pick up on the nuance. 

Trump curiously didn't talk much about school choice.  There at the end, he did talk about CRT and cancel culture in schools a bit, but not about moving resources and kids around.  I guess his Sec. of Education did most of that heavy lifting for him.  For a group of people so hell-bent on terminating a particular Dept/Cabinet like Education, it was awfully ironic she was maybe the most outspoken/active Cabinet member of his (who was pro-Trump, and didn't call him a fucking idiot), had incredibly high visibility for a cabinet-level dept. that has usually been pretty quiet position during either R or D admins, and was one of what?  Only 2 or 3 secretaries that lasted the whole four years?  \\

Lastly, for being so fiercely loyal, even among loyal cabinet members, to Trump for that whole time---Betsy has been remarkably quiet on all this FBI raid/documents stuff.  She gave a perfunctory "it's a witch hunt" comment to a few outlets a few weeks ago.  But that's been about it.  Hadn't done the cable news/talk shows circuit.  She has been quite loud about the student loan forgiveness and liberal teachers grooming kids in Biden's classrooms of America. But not much about Trump, I find that odd.  Trying to distance her next moves on school choice perhaps?  Come to think of it, a great deal of pro-Trump former cabinet members haven't really said jackshit on Mar-a-Lago illegalities.  

34 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Jockeying or no, to take the position that there is "nothing to see here" before we've even seen anything, is what set me off. I told him that I'll be reserving any judgment unless and until evidence is revealed, and that it was foolish for him to conclude anything at this point.

True enough.  But I believe this is the first time ever that NARA has felt compelled to refer the matter to DOJ.  That's saying something right there.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

True enough.  But I believe this is the first time ever that NARA has felt compelled to refer the matter to DOJ.  That's saying something right there.

Good point.  90 years of actively collecting, inventorying, indexing, archiving, displaying, shipping, etc. serious, serious classified shit from the Manhattan Project to Cold War to Cuban Missile Crisis to the War on Terror to Commander Dipshit.  And they've been doing it since their technology, review systems, and logistics platforms were little more than locomotives and telegraphs.  They've managed to gather, store, display, and secure materials from the Mainland Invasion of Japan to Watergate to Iran-Contra to Clinton Impeachment defense strategies to the post-9/11 security state formation.  And everybody, of all stripes, cooperated.  For the sake of the Republic's future.

Then TFG.....sneaks off for 18 months with literally the 18 boxes of most sensitive information ever gathered outside a nuclear laboratory.  To a fucking golf club.  This isn't the "Bookman" episode of Seinfeld, this was librarians and archivists and other unglorified positions noticing "Hey, should we call somebody?  It's been over a year since that list of American spies in Eastern Europe box should've shown up."  

Never mind the politics, the legal framework and jockeying, as you say...in 90 years of being charged with the most important shit our nation has ever produced (from CIA to DNI to NASA)...some people probably in fear for their lives now raised a hand to say, "We should try to get these overdue books back..."  But the books aren't "Tropic of Capricorn"...they're the fate of our nation.  And it wasn't a thief, a soldier, a sailor, nor spy that took them.  At least then, we could just get them back under cloak of night and murder.  It was the guy charged with keeping them safe in the first place.  Any other point in history, he'd be beyond done for.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, YGIFS said:

You know everything is a dildo if you are brave enough. 
8CC65096-1324-4370-B0DA-29C8A9164011.thumb.jpeg.fe3fd66d4dba644b1636c3db147fa0ed.jpeg

• Drool 2

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

or

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Get ready for option 2.  Damn near a foregone conclusion.

Yep, I'm afraid Teflon Don isn't going to the slammer.

Of course, I'm rooting for option 3...

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Trump has made this an actual existential crisis.  Either he is ended, or the Republic is ended.  He leaves no middle path.

And a sizable percentage of our country, including an ENTIRE political party, has opted for "end the Republic" as the preferable outcome.  Things only get worse, never better.

There's Mr. Sunshine.  I wondered where he had gone.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Yep, I'm afraid Teflon Don isn't going to the slammer.

Of course, I'm rooting for option 3...

spacer.png

Personally, I'm rooting for spontaneous human combustion. I saw enough shows from the Discovery Channel (or was it the History Channel?) about it to know we are due a good one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Tuco said:

Nah.  Divorcees get half.  Widows get most. 

...plus she'll get to play the Dollar Store version of JackieO for the next few decades. She can see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So she’s calling a painter?

I hear she has a direct source for the Novichok nerve agent that got Navalny.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

His businesses will go broke, his hangers-on and family will rat him out to save themselves, Fani and Letitia don't give fuck all about niceties of normal and customary treatment of former officeholders, the competition he spawned (deSantis) will kill him to take his place, Garland's deep state party machine will carve the name of Trump's crimes in Kafkaeque fashion on chest, and Liz Cheney will get the last head shot. 

He's toast.  Bank it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement