Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Bro, sick burn, bro! 

Even if you showed this exchange to your mother, I'm not sure she'd confirm for you that you'd "dunked on" somebody. 

Here is your original post:

You're taking the position that this statement doesn't imply that you're being critical of the staff and those takes. You've moved the goalposts in two follow-up posts, after getting called on the notion of mocking the takes of two true freshmen who are redshirting, to "I'm just saying they haven't proven anything, guys". No. that's not what you were doing. 

Also, I don't give one fuck if Will Randle never plays a down, doesn't hold the door for ladies, likes Nickelback, and steals candy from little kids. The guy has already done the heavy-lifting the staff needed from him. So he's already "proven" something.

lebron james basketball GIF 

10 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I was with you until the words I bolded. That's a bridge too far, CTJ.

10 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Well I want a credit card that's got no limit and a big black jet with a bedroom in it.

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Don't. Just don't. Don't, don't, don't.

They sold 50 Million albums yall. That many people can't be wrong.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I remember when a recruit named David Thomas showed up on campus when he was in HS and thinking who is this skinny guy - he'll never play.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Bevo said:

Is he really a 6'1" 215 TE and the #1 player in Nevada? That seems awfully small unless he plays split out most of the time.

it says more about Nevada than anything else. not saying anything about the late eval, just comparing Nevada as a group to Texas

Lofton is a .9068 in the composite which would rank him as the #49 composite player in Texas for comparison.

#18 TE in the composite - Nevada only has 3 players ranked in the composite top 500. #284, #416, #494

for comparison, Texas has 85 players in the composite top 500 - including a bunch of guys not even the recruitniks here have heard of:

image.thumb.png.237e763b5a370cdea69bbd74d345ecd4.png

for comparison in the Texas class, he would slot just behind Zina U (.9092) and D'antre Robinson (.9044)

the real question is if this means Texas would be moving on from Jordan Washington (.8795) - on3 and 247 both don't report him having any visits anywhere since his OV to Texas, BUT a quick look at twitters shows him saying he was coming to Texas in mid September?

he doesn't tweet much but his bio doesn't have anything about Texas in it and his pinned tweet is his final 4

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.80bd862ea0d36b36027b6763d2218d36.png

a quick google doesn't find me stats. so no clue how he is doing this year.

again: no idea if he is being processed or what is happening to the TE room but taking 2 guys in back to back classes seems pretty unlikely to me.

image.thumb.png.5cee021d3809ea57bb6627b7982e1694.png

haven't seen anything on Randle or how his rehab is going and he is inactive on twitter basically. I think we can assume Helm and Davis or a portal TE are the top 2 slots next year. Shannon was/is raw and hasn't gotten in a game i don't think? Randle is still in rehab. seen some weird stuff about Davis but he is likely to take over the Sanders role next year, right?

i may be wrong but don't Helm/Shannon/Randle play the more in line TE role and Sanders/Davis/Washington (?) project to the more receiving/flex TE role?

Loftin sure seems to project more to that flex role vs the in line role based on his scouting report.

Edited by NoName

4 hours ago, Atticus said:

They have done well developing the 2021 guys they inherited. Sanders wasn't a guarantee to develop. They whiffed on Skinner, stopped pushing for Boardingham (who looks good at Florida), and the Llewellyn guy. and punted on that cycle. In 2023, Randle will do his job if he keeps Arch happy, and Shannon will probably be good to go in 2025. 

Maybe if SC falls apart, we can get Duce to transfer here.

They've shown they can develop TEs, which is more critical at this position than some others.

dude you picked the absolute worst choices of guys to bring up who went elsewhere.

Bordingham has 10 more catches than Helm. hes played in 7 games and 60% of his catches (12 of 19) and 70% of his yards (154 of 219) happened in 2 games. Per CTJ Texas backed off on him because he has stone hands.

image.png.395b3d6b858d5bac55c784c4da6f9d75.png

Jaleel Skinner may turn into something but the guy took 1 total visit to Texas, and has 10 catches for 138 yards in his career. Miamis TEs this year have a combined 9 catches for <100 yards. they are averaging <1 catch per game for 14 yards per game from the position.

Texas was so little of a choice for him they don't even make his bio at Miami

image.thumb.png.ea294179d9d0ac69f326889cf12ceca9.png

Jason Llewellyn never visited Texas in any capacity. here is who was recruiting him:

Due to the ongoing pandemic, Llewellyn hasn’t been able to visit the OU campus yet, but he enjoyed a virtual visit with the staff. He’s had virtual visit experiences with Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma, but the Sooners stood out.

Llewellyn has been at OU for 2 years and has accumulated 0 stats during that time. he has played in 3 games this year (Ark St, Cincy and Tulsa) and did not play in the RRS. he is not currently on OU's 4 person deep depth chart for their game vs Oklahoma State

image.png

Duce would have been GREAT to get and made a difference but he went to USC and wants to play baseball. IDK if Texas would have let him play both and we will see if USC will but if there is one thing we 100% know it is that Lincoln Riley will promise dudes things and not have it happen - happened a ton of times at OU.

if you want to bring up guys who Texas should have gotten/been on in prior cycles bring up guys like Ka'Morreun Pimpton at LSU where he has no stats, Jaden Platt who Texas was hard after when he decommitted from Stanford and who ended up at A&M where he has no stats.

the offers from 2021 and 2022 were honestly iffy and idk how many of those dudes Texas was hard after anyway. not many from Texas - 21 had Elijah Arroyo, Crownover, Lake McRee, Landen King, 22 had Donovan Green who went to A&M and is a good TE, and Llewellyn who had an offer and that was it. 23 had Platt, Pimpton and someone named Chico Holt who went to Strake Jesuit, was committed to Northwestern, ended up at Stanford and looks exactly like you think he would

Spoiler

12012971.jpg?fit=crop&width=100

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

One thing interesting about this list is that Texas thought they had Winston wrapped up. Settling for Thomas worked out ok. 

• Like 1

I named people based on what I personally remember from the recruiting cycle. Not whatever random shit I can retroactively dig up from 247.

Bringing up random 247 listed offers doesn't mean a whole lot. 

I mean, Texas was really after Klubnik and Weigman right? They offered after all.

Additionally, a player's performance elsewhere is not indicative of what they would have done here.

Edited by Atticus

10 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I named people based on what I personally remember from the recruiting cycle. Not whatever random shit I can retroactively dig up from 247.

I mean, Texas was really after Klubnik and Weigman right? They offered after all.

Additionally, a player's performance elsewhere is not indicative of what they would have done here.

did Klubnik or Weigman ever visit Texas? even once? UOV? because neither took an OV to Texas.

if you think an offer = they were recruiting a player you need to go back to the football board. an offer doesn't mean shit anymore and hasn't for YEARS.

also, you completely missed the point, which was that none of them could be considered an actual miss and would be impacting the depth chart today.

do you think any of those players, who can't break to the top of a depth chart elsewhere, are going to be outplaying JT Sanders or Helm to crack the depth chart here? one of them is 3rd string at Miami (Skinner), one of them isn't even on the 4 person deep depth chart at OU (Lewellyen) and one of them is listed as a starter for a team that starts 2 TEs.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Then who is Brayden Liebrock?

class of 2019 TE, who was just outside the top 200 overall that year.

top 5 in that class for Texas was Bru McCoy, Tyler Owens, JWhitt, DeGabriel Floyd, Jake Smith. i think the last game he actually played in was in late 2020 due to injuries?

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Atticus said:

First, looooooooooooooooool.

"I named people based on what I personally remember reading here. I did not verify my opinions by referencing facts"

"I don't remember the offers you're talking about and these facts are making my opinion sound wrong"

"Well, two can play at that game. Here's some QBs we offered and didn't actually recruit. They totally prove my point because we offered them and then when we fired the HC, the....wait..."

"Additionally, a player's performance elsewhere cannot be correlated to the physical attributes that caused Texas to recruit them in the first place."

Gotcha. I'm not interested in engaging with you on this topic any further, but thanks for playing.

done playing GIF

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

I remember when a recruit named David Thomas showed up on campus when he was in HS and thinking who is this skinny guy - he'll never play.

David Thomas was a fucking monster in high school and knocked my team out of the playoffs. I also remember some guys on Hornfans back then riding for him hard as a prospect 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Mom really bought in to the Jimbo used car salesman act.

Screenshot_20231031_164125_Chrome.jpg

They could just be doing this for occasional $5K to $10K bonuses. 

They may have no desire to change schools, but if acting like you are looking around brings tens of thousands of dollars over the course of the semester that you weren’t otherwise going to be given, why not make the boyfriend jealous so that he showers you with riches?

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, cmontexas said:

David Thomas was a fucking monster in high school and knocked my team out of the playoffs. I also remember some guys on Hornfans back then riding for him hard as a prospect 

No doubt.  I was just making the point that dudes can look skinny as hell in HS and really grow into that frame.  DT put on 40 LB's of muscle while at Texas.

Just now, Hornlover said:

Nah, I'll cop to my stupidity here. I just assumed the first picture on Twitter saying "Brian Orakpo in high school" was him, and I went full Katfid.

1) Everyone knows the Orakpo growth story. It's more of an exception, which is why you immediately thought of it.

2) Just stop. You're missing what the first poster was doing and then you're whiffing on SC too. Good grief.

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Oh damn, Twitter lied to me. I knew it was fishy. Fucking Lamar are the Texans, right?

Maybe somewhere there's a real picture of Orakpo in high school. He was definitely skinny.

IIRC Lamar was the Redskins until around 2015 or so. Then they became the lame ass Texans.

It was also back when Snyder was giving everyone the finger about changing the name of the Washington redskins

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Nah, I'll cop to my stupidity here. I just assumed the first picture on Twitter saying "Brian Orakpo in high school" was him, and I went full Katfid.

Actually what you did here was the first known ever Reverse Katfid. If you can't take a look at the actual pic you DID find of Brian Orakpo in HS, and see it's the same guy as the chain picture, but skinnier, well then wow. Pssst:

Lamar changed their HS mascot from the Redskins to the Texans sometime during the Charlie Strong era. I can't remember what year it was exactly. But I bet google will help you.

Edited by SydneyCarton