The US Capitol has been Breached [News]

immamac

4 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Well...in that case then I guess we should just give them a stern talking to and then send them on their way. What’s incredible in all of this (and particularly annoying by the “yeah but what about...BLM/other protests” crowd) is we are talking about US citizens forcefully invading the US Capitol. I can’t believe there are fellow citizens (and especially so called Republicans who would otherwise argue for law and order, actions and consequences, crime and punishment) who seemingly want to sweep this under the rug: “Oh...it isn’t that big of a deal! The weren’t going to overthrow the government. JFC”

WTF

they need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. "

Edited by nineliveslost
oopsies

I don’t understand what point you are trying to make, nine. On one hand you say they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent, then you seem to indicate it wasn’t that big of a deal because they were dumb and it wasn’t going anywhere. 

the penalty for attempted murder is the same as the penalty for murder

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nineliveslost said:

I understand what you are saying, but I think its hyperbole to think that these 20k fuck ups would have accomplished anything besides destruction of property and embarrassing themselves and their families in front of millions 

They were seconds away from entering the senate chambers before guards got in place. Based on the stated intention and materials found on some of those involved, we have to assume that without a few lucky breaks and some quick thinking at key times dozens of members of Congress and the VP would have been murdered and the certs destroyed.

But even then, and even though it was destined to eventually fail, it’s  still an attempted coup, terrorism egged on by the president and allies in Congress. I can’t believe that’s even controversial.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

" they need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. "

So what’s the point of your prior post? Why minimize something that has not occurred in 200 years? Just because you don’t think they would have been successful is a moot point. There certainly do seem to be people there who were deadly serious (though I agree that they were also mixed in with MAGA cult moron fucks who who there to protest and be a part of the scene...but some of which it appears also them got caught up in the mob mentality). What I think is also particularly disturbing beyond this act against our government and electoral process is how they given a roadmap to other terrorist of how easily this could be accomplished by glomming on to a “protest”.

Thanks The Dude for asking for clarification,

Im hurting for this country man. I hate what happened. I am embarrassed as an American by these dumbfucks. It was a huge deal. I was trying to say earlier that I don't agree with any violence, but agree with all peaceful protest. I wish I was articulate enough to explain how I really feel . Just worn down by what seems both sides polarizing everything. 

I usually just stick to the lighter boards and avoid political shit 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Thanks The Dude for asking for clarification,

Im hurting for this country man. I hate what happened. I am embarrassed as an American by these dumbfucks. It was a huge deal. I was trying to say earlier that I don't agree with any violence, but agree with all peaceful protest. I wish I was articulate enough to explain how I really feel . Just worn down by what seems both sides polarizing everything. 

I usually just stick to the lighter boards and avoid political shit 

I get it man. I’m hurting too and very angry

Edited by The Dude

9 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

oh and here's some [NEWS]...or at least, it seems like the opinions of the Terminator are newsworthy to me. Everyone should listen to his message.

Crom.

38 minutes ago, Bruno Sardine said:

I’m intrigued by people who are rightfully horrified by a terrible, tragic, and inexcusable event who decide the truth should become secondary ...

That right there is literally why this happened.

A bunch of people believed a complete pack of lies, and decided to try to overthrow the US government because of it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I understand what you are saying, but I think its hyperbole to think that these 20k fuck ups would have accomplished anything besides destruction of property and embarrassing themselves and their families in front of millions 

Damn, it really didn't take long to forget about the death and multiple injuries to police. Like what, less than a week? It was just some "light treason", nothing to see here.... 

I kinda get the point of saying "they weren't going to overthrow the government", like I get that they would have been killed eventually, but I also don't think you fully realize just how far and close they were allowed to get because of the lack of response to them.  The way the police were set up, sure they would have eventually been killed, but they would have been killed for either taking hostage or killing those politicians they don't like. I'm not sure you fully understand the gravity of the hate that these folks have towards the "devils" in the government. 

37 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Just worn down by what seems both sides polarizing everything. 

This pales in comparison to the fatigue and jaw-clenching frustration those of us not sleepwalking through the cynicism and nihilism of political discourse on a particular side of the aisle feel towards weak illogic like this from those who don't pay close attention or skew to the GOP. 

Edit: Not to blame you for your feelings because these are scary and uncertain times, but you need to figure your shit out man. There is no "both sides" fulcrum for you to slide around to make sense of the world. The "truth" of everything happening is not an even spli between the extremes and the sooner you realize that, the better. You need to come to grips with how that dynamic skews your inability to understand it. Angry opponents of the current regime are not equal to the angry lunatics who attempted a coup against our gov't based on a fundamentally false and easily disproven series of lies.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

The chick who got herself shot was about 30 feet away from a Democrat politician while others were punching through the door windows. What, exactly, do you think would have happened had that door been breached? No, they were never going to succeed in overthrowing the government...but a few with truly evil intent and the corresponding mob mentality probably would have killed some folk.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

The flailing around by the very people who participated in, voted for, and gave money to the movement that created the assault on our democracy is hilarious and sad. Nobody should even give the time of day to anyone trying to equivocate an attempted overthrow of the entire democratic foundation of our country with other events. It's an absurd and ridiculous attempt by those complicit to assuage their guilt and pretend to still be members of respectful society.

Those who I'm talking about are garbage human beings without integrity. They don't deserve the respect of serious attempts at conversation. Stop giving it to them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The chick who got herself shot was about 30 feet away from a Democrat politician while others were punching through the door windows. What, exactly, do you think would have happened had that door been breached? No, they were never going to succeed in overthrowing the government...but a few with truly evil intent and the corresponding mob mentality probably would have killed some folk.

If they'd gotten through that door a shit-ton more of them would have been shot, and more would have been trampled to death as the survivors retreated in panic. Those dudes in the suits were not there to play around. They had a different set of orders from the cap police. You'll notice those chambers were only breached once the dudes in the suits had evacuated everyone from the premises. 

11 hours ago, Captainant said:

Two dead federal officers. Both sides, indeed. 

More dead Americans than Benghazi, but BLM right??

EDIT: followup tweet clarifies it was a suicide - mea culpa on this one folks. The seditious insurrectionists only killed one cop, not two

There is suspicion that there were complicit cops on duty.  I don't want to say he was one but it could explain his actions afterwards.

Words can’t express what a shitty take this is. We avoided deaths of Congressmen an women by dumb luck.

The same can be applied to the entire Cloak Room cabal. I stupidly went in there to comment on the deplatforming of Parler saying it wasn’t a good move. Despite not voting for Trump in either 2016 or 2020, I got negged for no reason. Pathetic group. Especially wildcat and brisket. Pathetic to see what  briskettexan has become. Remember when he used to be a good poster.

I appreciate your take. I particularly enjoy the “pathetic to see what briskettexan has become” take.

What has he become? The word you’re looking for is “right.” He was right. About all of it. I know it’s wildly uncomfortable to have to accept how awful things are, especially when you got conned into joining a team that has become an American fanatical terrorist movement...but that doesn’t make it any less true.

For the record, though...I really wanted to be wrong. So badly.

Anyway, back to the news....the more of which we’re getting, the worse we learn that it really was.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Here's something else for those still defending the terrorists

See this guy?

This is the video of what was going on as he was drug down the steps for doing his job.  All the Blue Line Flags in the crowd was bullshit.

Not that it matters but those videos are apparently of a Metro DC officer being dragged into the crowd. The same poster, @GreggFarve mentions it in his next post. 

Hopefully that Metro officer ended up being okay. 

"We love you, you're very special."  

that's just a straight-shooter with upper management written all over him.  

Have some of y'all recovered from the massive orgasms you must have had watching this all unfold earlier this week?  

5 hours ago, Macklemore said:

The same can be applied to the entire Cloak Room cabal. I stupidly went in there to comment on the deplatforming of Parler saying it wasn’t a good move. Despite not voting for Trump in either 2016 or 2020, I got negged for no reason. Pathetic group. Especially wildcat and brisket. Pathetic to see what  briskettexan has become. Remember when he used to be a good poster.

You sound like a pussy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I appreciate your take. I particularly enjoy the “pathetic to see what briskettexan has become” take.

What has he become? The word you’re looking for is “right.” He was right. About all of it. I know it’s wildly uncomfortable to have to accept how awful things are, especially when you got conned into joining a team that has become an American fanatical terrorist movement...but that doesn’t make it any less true.

For the record, though...I really wanted to be wrong. So badly.

Anyway, back to the news....the more of which we’re getting, the worse we learn that it really was.

Yeah, Brisketexan is an especially shitty poster because all of his doom and gloom turned out to be entirely accurate, and it's depressing and disappointing as fuck.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

Two days before Congress was set to formalize President-elect Joe Biden’s victory, Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund was growing increasingly worried about the size of the pro-Trump crowds expected to stream into Washington in protest.

To be on the safe side, Sund asked House and Senate security officials for permission to request that the D.C. National Guard be placed on standby in case he needed quick backup.

But, Sund said Sunday, they turned him down.

It was the first of six times Sund’s request for help was rejected or delayed, he said. Two days later on Wednesday afternoon, his forces already in the midst of crisis, Sund said he pleaded for help five more times as a scene far more dire than he had ever imagined unfolded on the historic Capitol grounds.

An army of 8,000 pro-Trump demonstrators streamed down Pennsylvania Avenue after hearing Trump speak near the White House. Sund’s outer perimeter on the Capitol’s west side was breached within 15 minutes. With 1,400 Capitol Police officers on duty, his forces were quickly overrun.

Just before noon Wednesday, Sund was monitoring Trump’s speech to the crowd on the Ellipse when he was called away. There were reports of two pipe bombs near the Capitol grounds. So Sund didn’t hear the president call on protesters to “fight” against lawmakers preparing to confirm Biden’s victory. Nor did he hear Trump’s personal attorney, Rudolph W. Giuliani, urging the crowd to engage in “trial by combat,” an eerie reference to battles to the death in the series, “Game of Thrones.” Sund said he now suspects that the pipe bombs were an intentional effort to draw officers away from the Capitol perimeter.

The first wave of protesters arrived at the Capitol about 12:40 p.m.

Despite Sund’s pleas, the first National Guard personnel didn’t arrive at the Capitol until 5:40 p.m. — after four people had died and the worst was long over.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Two days before Congress was set to formalize President-elect Joe Biden’s victory, Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund was growing increasingly worried about the size of the pro-Trump crowds expected to stream into Washington in protest.

To be on the safe side, Sund asked House and Senate security officials for permission to request that the D.C. National Guard be placed on standby in case he needed quick backup.

But, Sund said Sunday, they turned him down.

It was the first of six times Sund’s request for help was rejected or delayed, he said. Two days later on Wednesday afternoon, his forces already in the midst of crisis, Sund said he pleaded for help five more times as a scene far more dire than he had ever imagined unfolded on the historic Capitol grounds.

An army of 8,000 pro-Trump demonstrators streamed down Pennsylvania Avenue after hearing Trump speak near the White House. Sund’s outer perimeter on the Capitol’s west side was breached within 15 minutes. With 1,400 Capitol Police officers on duty, his forces were quickly overrun.

Just before noon Wednesday, Sund was monitoring Trump’s speech to the crowd on the Ellipse when he was called away. There were reports of two pipe bombs near the Capitol grounds. So Sund didn’t hear the president call on protesters to “fight” against lawmakers preparing to confirm Biden’s victory. Nor did he hear Trump’s personal attorney, Rudolph W. Giuliani, urging the crowd to engage in “trial by combat,” an eerie reference to battles to the death in the series, “Game of Thrones.” Sund said he now suspects that the pipe bombs were an intentional effort to draw officers away from the Capitol perimeter.

The first wave of protesters arrived at the Capitol about 12:40 p.m.

Despite Sund’s pleas, the first National Guard personnel didn’t arrive at the Capitol until 5:40 p.m. — after four people had died and the worst was long over.

They hit, they raided, knew what they were doing. The 8K were a distraction for the 50 who had a concept. But our Republic survived. was it hurt? yep. But she survived. Now it is up to the rest of us to ensure she remains standing. 

https://www.aoc.gov/explore-capitol-campus/art/statue-freedom

Click the link. Some cool history there. Here is the image (I hope). 

https://www.aoc.gov/explore-capitol-campus/art/statue-freedom

Edited by InkaUtexas

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55585546

Great non-biased read when you have a few minutes.  Apparently some of our allies and creditors aren't terribly inspired by our performance last Wednesday.  I have a feeling this past week is gonna show up in our FICO score and we may not get that boat after all.  

Edited by Lobo

Why the 17th?  It's not Inauguration Day.  Trying to spit on MLK's grave I take it?  Just going out on a non-CR limb here and assuming some of these people may not be terribly interested in observing MLK Day in a peaceful fashion as the Doctor would have preferred.  

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

WSJ is reporting that online extremist tracking organizations are expecting armed marches in DC and state capitals on the 17th.

You mean the insurrectionists are going to do what they've been telling us they're gonna do for the last two months? Those same orgs were on the record having raised the alarms for Jan 6 as far back as December. None of this is out of (far) right field. 

• Hook 'Em 2

When you rile up a crowd of 20k and embolden the most aggressive/violent of them, the result is a lynch mob.

We have a long history of them. Lots of “normal” folks complicit in atrocities who went along with the crowd.

I have no doubt these fuck ups would have killed more than a few of themselves and a police officer if they hadn’t been stopped.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Why the 17th?  It's not Inauguration Day.  Trying to spit on MLK's grave I take it?  Just going out on a non-CR limb here and assuming some of these people may not be terribly interested in observing MLK Day in a peaceful fashion as the Doctor would have preferred.  

On 1/7/2021 at 11:48 AM, Incredulity said:

so no longer, "the language of the unheard"? 

Racist pieces of shit wanting to dance on MLK's grave while supporting sedition? Never heard of it!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Insurrection?  What?  That was just a misunderstanding between some Capitol tour docents and some concerned taxpayers.  

Sad story about the Capitol Police Officer who didn't like what happened for the last few days, so he took his own life:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/liebengood-capitol-police-death/2021/01/10/3a495b84-5357-11eb-a08b-f1381ef3d207_story.html  

I would consider this fatality to be directly related to the Capitol Breach, and thus his blood is on the hands of those that incited it.  

reports are that other officers are under suicide watch now.  Several more will be interrogated before this is all said and done.  

11 minutes ago, Undersirable Carpetbagger said:

Could you imagine what would've happened if Trump had won? America would have been burned to ash and the media would have called it a "peaceful protest". What happened in DC is child's play compared to what Cancel Culture PC Fascists are capable of.

if only there was some evidence of how the country would react if trump ever was elected president.

• Haha 1