Identifying Trump rioters

Tuco

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/03/politics/josh-pruitt-proud-boys-schumer-january-6/index.html

Josh Pruitt, a member of the Proud Boys who then-Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and his team ran from during the US Capitol riot, pleaded guilty Friday to a felony charge of obstructing an official proceeding on January 6, 2021.

According to his plea agreement, Pruitt and another rioter entered the Capitol Visitor's Center after breaching the building. At that time, Schumer and his security detail, fleeing the Senate chamber, waited at nearby elevators in an attempt to reach a secure location.

Pruitt also confronted police officers at the Capitol and threw a sign inside the building during the riot. Before his plea agreement, Pruitt had faced eight counts, including physical acts of violence and obstructing law enforcement. He could spend an estimated 51 to 63 months behind bars.
Pruitt told CNN in January that he didn't "feel like (he) did anything wrong" that day but was concerned about potential consequences. "Trying to send me to prison for a few years over this, I think, is a complete joke," Pruitt said, noting at the time that he had no plans to plead guilty.

tough guy, models his style after Ramzan Kadyrov

220603202022-josh-pruitt-proud-boys-schumer-january-6-exlarge-169.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know what the fuck his lawyer was thinking letting that letter go to the judge.  Maybe he thought showing his client's florid delusions would win sympathy.

I don’t know if you’ve ever run across this, but sometimes clients don’t always follow the advice of their counsel.

It could have been sent prior to the lawyer even knowing. Wouldn’t surprise me if the client showed up bragging about it waiving it in the lawyers face.
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I don’t know if you’ve ever run across this, but sometimes clients don’t always follow the advice of their counsel.

It could have been sent prior to the lawyer even knowing. Wouldn’t surprise me if the client showed up bragging about it waiving it in the lawyers face.

True enough, but I suspect the guy wouldn't have even known about the opportunity to write the judge unless the lawyer told him.

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

True enough, but I suspect the guy wouldn't have even known about the opportunity to write the judge unless the lawyer told him.

Exactly.  I'm having a vision of the following:

Client:  [entering lawyer's office]  Lookit this awesome letter I wrote and sent to the judge!  You're ready to hire me right?  Why am I even paying you?!?

Lawyer:  [thinking to himself] Oh god, what has this idiot done this time?  How am I going to unfuck this? [outloud] Oh wow, I can see you spent some time considering this.  Perhaps in the future we can discuss your writing skills BEFORE you send anything?  After all, that IS what you're paying me for.

Client:  Cool, cool.  Next time I'll do that but I was pretty sure it would be hard to improve upon my work.

Lawyer: ....

Client, exit stage right.

Lawyer immediately scrambling to put in as good a light as possible that which may not be undone.

Scene.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

"I also want to acknowledge that Joseph Biden is the current Commander In Chief of the US military, and I respect that."

"The 2020 election was decided by ballot harvesting and illegal voting by mail."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaBd8nOCkRqWibvFBcF2j

8 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Exactly.  I'm having a vision of the following:

Client:  [entering lawyer's office]  Lookit this awesome letter I wrote and sent to the judge!  You're ready to hire me right?  Why am I even paying you?!?

Lawyer:  [thinking to himself] Oh god, what has this idiot done this time?  How am I going to unfuck this? [outloud] Oh wow, I can see you spent some time considering this.  Perhaps in the future we can discuss your writing skills BEFORE you send anything?  After all, that IS what you're paying me for.

Client:  Cool, cool.  Next time I'll do that but I was pretty sure it would be hard to improve upon my work.

Lawyer: ....

Lawyer immediately scrambling to put in as good a light as possible that which may not be undone.

Scene.

It's also quite possible that this guy just wrote a letter to the judge, ex parte and all, ala Peter Navarro.  No lawyer advise or consent or foreknowledge.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:15 AM, jimmyjazz said:

"I also want to acknowledge that Joseph Biden is the current Commander In Chief of the US military, and I respect that."

"The 2020 election was decided by ballot harvesting and illegal voting by mail."

The first line is what many republicans like to state to show they understand that Biden is the president but they refuse to say Biden was lawfully elected. 

On 7/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, Chad Fuck said:

Alternative ending:  Lawyer sighs, pours himself two fingers of Wild Turkey, puts his feet on his desk, and leans back in his chair with a smile on his face knowing that, no matter what happens to this client, at least he will still get paid.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Alternative ending:  Lawyer sighs, pours himself two fingers of Wild Turkey, puts his feet on his desk, and leans back in his chair with a smile on his face knowing that, no matter what happens to this client, at least he will still get paid.

If there's anything we've learned from these clowns, it's that their lawyers getting paid is a 50/50 proposition.  Hopefully the lawyer in my little scenario got a big retainer. 

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

If there's anything we've learned from these clowns, it's that their lawyers getting paid is a 50/50 proposition.  Hopefully the lawyer in my little scenario got a big retainer. 

And we are seeing why criminal lawyers tend to get flat fees, paid up front.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Cody Mattice, 29, of Greece, N.Y., and James Mault, 30, of Brockport, N.Y., both wept as they stood before Chief U.S. District Judge Beryl A. Howell and asked for leniency, apologizing for their actions and saying they hoped to return soon to their families and young children. But Howell noted that prosecutors had already cut them a reasonable deal by dropping charges that could have led to far more prison time, and she imposed the sentences requested by the government. Only four other Jan. 6 defendants have been sentenced to longer prison terms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/07/15/mattice-mault-capitol-riot-sentenced/

44 months

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Cody Mattice, 29, of Greece, N.Y., and James Mault, 30, of Brockport, N.Y., both wept as they stood before Chief U.S. District Judge Beryl A. Howell and asked for leniency, apologizing for their actions and saying they hoped to return soon to their families and young children. But Howell noted that prosecutors had already cut them a reasonable deal by dropping charges that could have led to far more prison time, and she imposed the sentences requested by the government. Only four other Jan. 6 defendants have been sentenced to longer prison terms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/07/15/mattice-mault-capitol-riot-sentenced/

44 months

the defense lawyer used the "my client is a moron" defense

https://dailyboulder.com/uneducated-trump-supporters-break-down-crying-after-being-sentenced-to-44-months-in-prison-over-role-in-capitol-attack/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

During sentencing, Judge Howell slammed the defendants, saying: “they were not patriots on Jan. 6, and no one who broke the police lines and stopped the democratic process was a patriot that day.”

This needs to be HAMMERED on the airwaves and in every possible way to the magats.  YOU ARE NOT PATRIOTS.  IF YOU STAND WITH THESE PEOPLE, YOU ARE THE ENEMY OF THIS NATION.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

W, 29, of Greece, N.Y., and James Mault, 30, of Brockport, N.Y., both wept as they stood before Chief U.S. District Judge Beryl A. Howell and asked for leniency, apologizing for their actions and saying they hoped to return soon to their families and young children. But Howell noted that prosecutors had already cut them a reasonable deal by dropping charges that could have led to far more prison time, and she imposed the sentences requested by the government. Only four other Jan. 6 defendants have been sentenced to longer prison terms.

44 months

This does not add up:

Mattice was a stay-at-home dad and Mault was an iron worker when they began texting on Jan. 2 about driving to President Donald Trump’s “Stop the Steal” rally on Jan. 6

and 

Mattice was pepper-sprayed during this encounter, and the two men briefly retreated to clean up, prosecutors said. During this time, Mattice texted his fiancee to say, “me and james literally just got everyone to push, I fought off like 4 or 5 cops and we stand … victorious,” according to court records. His fiancee, Ashley Choate, replied, “omg babe glad you’re having fun and are okay.”

Who the fuck gets engaged to an unemployed, stay-at-home dad?

19 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

44 months

angry marlon brando GIF

but seriously, typical maga GQP - an ignorant pussy 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

hopefully the military hangs him

If he’d been active duty at the time, he should. If any of the insurrectionists who attacked our government were active duty at the time, they absolutely should be executed, as is expressly provided by the UCMJ for a US service member who attacks his own country.
Gallows. At Leavenworth. Televised.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If he’d been active duty at the time, he should. If any of the insurrectionists who attacked our government were active duty at the time, they absolutely should be executed, as is expressly provided by the UCMJ for a US service member who attacks his own country.
Gallows. At Leavenworth. Televised.

Anyone still drawing a paycheck from the military / govt, should fall under those rules 

• Like 1

Bruno Joseph Cua, a Georgia man who was 18 at the time he allegedly stormed the Capitol along with scores of other Donald Trump supporters angry over the results of the 2020 election, appeared before U.S. District Judge Randolph Moss on Tuesday. He indicated that he was considering representing himself, and also said that he wanted to settle the case — all while repeating what sounded a lot like “sovereign citizen” talking points.

On Monday, Cua’s lawyers Jonathan Jeffress and William Zapf had filed a motion to withdraw as counsel.

“Recently, the attorney-client relationship between counsel and Mr. Cua has become irretrievably broken due to a fundamental disagreement regarding legal issues and a course of action,” the motion said. The lawyers said that providing additional details would violate attorney-client confidentiality, but noted that Cua had consented to the motion and had indicated to the lawyers that he “wishes to proceed pro se at this time.”

Moss, a Barack Obama appointee, started the hearing by listing several filings from Cua that were apparently the lawyers’ motion to withdraw.

“Those are not recognized pleadings,” Moss said. “I’m not quite sure what to make of those, but we need to decide how to proceed. Let me ask Mr. Cua: is your dissatisfaction with your current counsel, or with any counsel? In other words, are you looking for a new lawyer, [or] do you want to represent yourself?”

Cua, appearing by video, did not directly answer Moss’ question.

“Good morning, Your Honor,” Cua said. “I’m here by special appearance, not a general appearance,” he continued, echoing fellow Jan. 6 defendant Pauline Bauer, who had memorably told the judge in her case, Trump-appointed U.S. District Judge Trevor McFadden, that she was appearing in his court by “special divine appearance.”

Those are fairly standard statements for followers of the “sovereign citizen” movement, which relies on conspiracy theories and misinformation to justify adherents’ apparent belief that they are exempt from U.S. law.

During a back-and-forth between judge and defendant, Moss tried to clarify what Cua meant, to no avail.

“I don’t know where you found this material, but I have no idea, frankly, what you’re talking about,” Moss eventually replied, after Cua repeated his “special appearance” statement.

“Let me ask you a question: do you want to have a lawyer in this case, or do you want to represent yourself?”

Cua repeated some of his talking points, and then asked: “What need is there for an attorney?”

Moss told the defendant that if he wanted to represent himself, the judge would need to have a separate hearing in order to ensure that Cua was making the decision to go pro se knowingly and voluntarily, after having been informed of the risks.

Moss then ran down the list of charges against Cua, including obstruction of an official proceeding, which carries a potential 20 year prison sentence, and engaging in violence in a restricted building or grounds while carrying a deadly and dangerous weapon, which is punishable by up to 10 years behind bars.

“Those are really serious charges, and before you make a decision you want to proceed on your own, which would be unwise … you have a constitutional right to do so, if that’s what you want to do,” Moss said.

He then proposed an in-person hearing, noting that he was “not inclined to do that by video conference given the importance of the decision.”

“I’m not here to testify,” Cua said when Moss asked when he could appear in court. “How may I settle this today?”

Moss warned Cua that if he didn’t answer his questions, he would send the U.S. Marshals Service to arrest him and bring him to Washington for a hearing.

“We’re not playing games here,” Moss said. “I don’t know who’s feeding you this stuff. It’s nonsense.”

“You can’t represent yourself if you’re not capable of answering a question of the Court,” the judge added.

“Let the record reflect I have repented of my sins,” Cua said as the back-and-forth continued.

“If you don’t answer my question I’m going to have to order you to be arrested,” Moss said, again asking Cua when he can come to Washington for a hearing.

After taking a brief break to talk with his lawyers, Cua had an answer.

“Judge, the end of next week would be the best,” he said.

Moss set a hearing for July 28. He told Jeffress and Zapf that he would hold off on ruling on their motion to withdraw, and then turned to Cua.

“In the meantime, Mr. Cua, if you’re unhappy with the representation by Mr. Jeffress and Mr. Zapf, I would urge you to talk to another lawyer just to get a second opinion,” Moss said, adding that he could appoint an attorney for Cua if he wanted advice on whether to have a lawyer at all.

“I cannot impress upon you enough the seriousness of this decision, given the gravity of the charges against you and the difficulty of representing yourself,” Moss said.

“In the end it’s going to be your decision whether you want to do that or not,” Moss added. “It’s a really important decision [and] I want to make sure you have all the information.”

Cua is, as Moss described, accused of multiple felonies, including fighting with a plainclothes police officer while using a baton.

In a filing from March 2021 opposing Cua’s release from pretrial custody, prosecutors say that he was also seen “sitting atop the Senate dais, in the chair previously occupied by former Vice President Mike Pence, with his feet up on a the desk.”

“Other CSPAN footage shows the defendant documenting paperwork from a Senator’s desk on his cellphone,” prosecutors added.

Prosecutors also note Cua’s allegedly extensive social media posts, including a Jan. 8, 2021 missive on the right-wing website Parler that “[t]here will be no ‘warning shot’ next time.”

Moss did agree to release Cua from custody in March 2021 after Cua tested positive for COVID-19. The court docket shows that on May 5, 2022, Moss modified Cua’s conditions of release to remove location monitoring.