Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

57 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not really sure what that phrase even means, but we’re not asking anything crazy out of our secondary so far. The coverages have been pretty standard. 

I think this stems from our DBs playing so far off last year and 9.95ers saying it didn’t give us time to generate a pass rush, which is true but we’ve basically just adjusted to normal secondary coverages this year. Most of the pressure is due to our DL winning up front, not excessive use of press coverage or stuff like heavy blitzing with Cover 0 behind it. 

Those were Sark's words in the preseason presser. My interpretation is that the coaches know our edge rush isn't consistent enough to force QBs to get ball out quickly, so the DBs will have to cover a bit longer to allow time for the DL to make pressure. That said the DL (interior especially) has been a lot better than preseason expectations.

Agree with what you and Fumbles are saying. 

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Thompson slowed down on the HB pass. I have no idea what he was doing. The biggest issue with the DBs again is inability to turn around and locate the ball.

Several things on that play. The first is I don't know how Barron didn't blow it up or at least knock down the pass. He comes flying in with both hands up and then for some reason puts his left arm down right as the pass is being released.

406804476_ScreenShot2022-09-20at2_30_04PM.png.772b5afefb94772a3dd7399d939eff5a.png1712344248_ScreenShot2022-09-20at2_30_20PM.png.89a7f9f9a5918aaed4409c1c50b17672.png

Watts locates the ball pretty early when it's in the air. He just misplayed his jump to break it up.

1562453169_ScreenShot2022-09-20at2_30_38PM.png.161f834fe436c65c9661c1b7590ab9a8.png1170011374_ScreenShot2022-09-20at2_30_57PM.png.11f4022fff6441d7354772c622a1323e.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Wow. 3 games in and we have 50% of our total pressures for all of last season. We also have 56% of total hurries, and 62% of total hits. We haven't done as well converting those to sacks so far, but I think they'll come.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Looking at the play again I'd bet this was blown by the safety and Jamison is just playing catch up. Looking at them on the wide side of the field with the motion coming across I bet we were in quarters on this side. Safety should have gone with the motion receiver on the pump n go....

Jamison's man.  He's got #1 vertical to deepest threat.  They cross early enough that the motion receiver would be considered #1 anyway.

He probably bit too hard on the screen.  The proper way to play a fake screen is to initiate contact quickly and hold the WR if he tries to release.  Drag him down if you have to.  There is no defensive holding against an eligible receiver initiating a block off the snap.

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Several things on that play. The first is I don't know how Barron didn't blow it up or at least knock down the pass. He comes flying in with both hands up and then for some reason puts his left arm down right as the pass is being released.

406804476_ScreenShot2022-09-20at2_30_04PM.png.772b5afefb94772a3dd7399d939eff5a.png1712344248_ScreenShot2022-09-20at2_30_20PM.png.89a7f9f9a5918aaed4409c1c50b17672.png

Watts locates the ball pretty early when it's in the air. He just misplayed his jump to break it up.

1562453169_ScreenShot2022-09-20at2_30_38PM.png.161f834fe436c65c9661c1b7590ab9a8.png1170011374_ScreenShot2022-09-20at2_30_57PM.png.11f4022fff6441d7354772c622a1323e.png

Watts plays this fairly well. His positioning and discipline on this were great. He has a breakdown in technique here and it goes to shit.  He turns away from the WR to look for the ball. That creates space between him and WR. You should always turn toward the WR to locate the ball.. 

Edited by Codaxx

Wow. 3 games in and we have 50% of our total pressures for all of last season. We also have 56% of total hurries, and 62% of total hits. We haven't done as well converting those to sacks so far, but I think they'll come.  

We had a crazy number of pressures vs UTSA if I remember correctly. We’ve just played two very mobile and experienced qbs out of three games. 3 if you count ULMs guy who was more mobile than he was a thrower. Sacks will come, but I’m loving the pressures. They’ll lead to more incompletions, interceptions, and havoc.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Watts makes a mistake here. He turns away from the WR to look for the ball. That creates space between him and WR. You should always turn toward the WR to locate the ball.. 

I'm not a DB coach but this doesn't make sense. The ball is always coming from behind you. You have to turn around to locate the ball. What does turn towards the WR to locate the ball mean?

He seems to have decent position, has the receiver at his hip and opens up to see where the ball is at. I don't see any issues with that. If he times his jump right or if Thompson turns around to find the ball since his corner has decent position, it's likely an INT or at least a pass breakup.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm not a DB coach but this doesn't make sense. The ball is always coming from behind you. You have to turn around to locate the ball. What does turn towards the WR to locate the ball mean?

He seems to have decent position, has the receiver at his hip and opens up to see where the ball is at. I don't see any issues with that. If he times his jump right or if Thompson turns around to find the ball since his corner has decent position, it's likely an INT or at least a pass breakup.

When turn toward the WR, your body follows, so you get closer to the WR and you dont lose track of him. If you turn away you are creating distance between you and  the WR and you no longer see him. Remember you do not know where the ball is when you turn, so the #1 priority is stay on the WR. Plus turning away from the WR puts you in a very bad position to make a tackle on the play. 

in this case Watts toward the middle of the field (turning his back to the WRs chest), he should have turned toward the sideline (would have been chest to chest). 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

UTSA was his best game, but he hasn’t been very good so far this year. Most of the improvement in the run game is coming from the improved DL play. 

They’re definitely letting the DL get after it. That statistical improvement is crazy with almost identical personnel. It also shows how bad the defensive coaching performance was last year. 

Not to derail too much, but it does seem like we're running a lot more 4 DL sets (well at least 4 guys with their hand in turf).  How much of that has to do with the improvement of the DL?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

mixture of things. 8th year seniors like Coburn and Sweat drastically improving hints to attitude adjustments. They are mixing in movement much more this year and playing tighter in the back end, though that still makes me nervous. One guy that has disappointed me is Crawford. I was hoping his play time would grow as the season progressed. I think the Texas secondary is pretty slow overall and needing an injection of speed. I hope I am wrong, but I think we will see at least 1 game where someone does serious damage down the field. Probably should add Gbenda to the disappointment list. I was hoping he would be at least league average by now, the fact Bush is ahead of his is not a good sign. LB depth is a serious issue this year and panic worthy for 2023. 

We should have let Drew Sanders play whichever LB position he wanted (MLB)

38 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Watts plays this fairly well. His positioning and discipline on this were great. He has a breakdown in technique here and it goes to shit.  He turns away from the WR to look for the ball. That creates space between him and WR. You should always turn toward the WR to locate the ball.. 

It also doesn't show here, but if I remember correctly watching it live, the WR gets away with a little bump/push to get just a touch of separation. 

8 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It also doesn't show here, but if I remember correctly watching it live, the WR gets away with a little bump/push to get just a touch of separation. 

It was super minimal, Watts just overran it when the ball floated and really was in poor position with his hands to even swat the ball down. 

It's what @JesusSweatDuck said.  He doesn't misplay the ball.  Watch the replay from the far endzone.  Turning to the ball allows the WR to body him. Hard. 

Don't turn to look for the ball.  The ball isn't being thrown to you.  It's being thrown to the other guy.  Look at him.

Edited by JBJ

39 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Paywalled... but interesting topic

First Deacon Jones invented his name — he wanted something more memorable than David, his given first name — then he invented a term: Sack, which Jones thought was needed to popularize the art of tackling the quarterback behind the line of scrimmage, an art Jones was very good at but prior to the 1960s did not have a name.

Advertisement

“I gave it some thought and came up with the term ‘sack,'” Jones, who died in 2013, is quoted as saying in his obituary by the Pro Football Hall of Fame. “Like, you know, you sack a city — you devastate it.”

That brings us to the Georgia defense, which last year had one of the most devastating defenses in college football history, and this year it has picked right back up, yielding only 10 points during the first three games, seven of those in the waning minutes against backups. This during an era of pass-heavy offenses, with quarterbacks seemingly more likely to be devastated.

And yet, through three games, here is Georgia’s sack total: one. That’s not an outlier: Despite the increase in passing in college football, sacks are not increasing with that trend. The percentage of plays ending in a sack is down this year (5.5 percent) more than a percentage point from last year (6.6 percent).

“That’s not the game anymore,” Georgia head coach Kirby Smart said. “The game is not to sit back there and have a guy be a sitting target.”

There are a few obvious reasons:

• More quarterbacks have running ability.

• Offenses are calling more quick passes.

• Defenses are combating the spread by using more defensive backs, which usually means dropping a linebacker.

USATSI_19063162-1-scaled-e1663619698988.

Georgia pressured South Carolina’s Spencer Rattler on 42.9 percent of his dropbacks but didn’t record a sack. (Jeff Blake / USA Today)

The number of passes in college football is up during the last few years, as anybody who has watched would know. Georgia’s offense is also emblematic of that, going from 20.3 pass attempts per game in 2017 to 27.1 last season, then vaulting to 36.7 this season. But the sack rate and pressure rate on QBs have remained static, with both down this year, while the average time a quarterback has taken to throw the ball and the average yards the ball has traveled in the air have both ticked down:

FBS pass rush rates, past 4 seasons
Dropback percent
Pressure percent
Sack percent
Seconds to throw
Air yards

The sack is a sexy number and still holds some weight. It’s better to sack someone than not, considering the lost yardage and the chance to force a fumble. There aren’t many highlight videos of quarterbacks just throwing the ball away, and QB pressures don’t show up as a regularly used stat.

Advertisement

But defenses, realizing how much harder it has been to get sacks, have not looked at them as the main barometer for whether they’re getting enough pressure.

“It’s the evolution of the game,” Smart said. “Our job is to be disruptive and pressure the quarterback, affect the quarterback. But that doesn’t always equal sack the quarterback, which is obvious this year, that that’s been tough to do.”

The South Carolina game was a perfect example of where the game has gone: Spencer Rattler, the dual-threat South Carolina quarterback, spent the game on his heels, rushing throws. Georgia pressured Rattler on 42.9 percent of his dropbacks. But Georgia never sacked Rattler.

Kentucky’s win at Florida two weeks ago is another good example: The Wildcats rattled Gators quarterback Anthony Richardson, forcing him to throw two back-breaking interceptions and generally be ineffective. But he was sacked only once.

Michigan has lost edge rusher Aidan Hutchinson to the NFL Draft but has still been great on defense this year, and it isn’t dependent on the sack. While the Wolverines racked up seven in their opener against Colorado State, they only had one against Hawaii and zero in a shutout against UConn.

Alabama superstar Will Anderson only has two sacks, and Alabama is tied for 45th nationally in the category. But the Crimson Tide still have the nation’s fifth-ranked defense.

This doesn’t mean sacks can’t be important to some teams. Arkansas has ridden its nation-leading 17 sacks to an unbeaten start, USC has 14 sacks, and Ole Miss has 13 sacks on the way to having the fourth-ranked scoring defense. Virginia Tech, the nation’s fourth-ranked defense, had five sacks in its 27-10 win over Boston College but only one in its loss at Old Dominion.

But the trend shows sacks are becoming less important to the game as a whole. College football has evolved in mostly a straight line, the forward pass gradually becoming more popular, the wishbone nearly extinct and the Air Raid elements present at basically every program.

Advertisement

But the reaction to that is less linear. More passes have not meant more sacks in part, Smart opined, because teams want to protect those quarterbacks and also use their speed rather than have them sit in the pocket. His own star quarterback is an example: Stetson Bennett is a dual threat who has also yet to be sacked this season.

Georgia will keep trying, as will other programs. Blitzes and five-man rushes still will be used. But defenders spying on the quarterback run also will be employed. And when the offense is sending four and five receivers out on passes, defenses will keep more defenders back and hope they accomplish enough simply by pushing the pocket, rather than completely collapsing it.

The sack is not a dying art. Deacon Jones’ legacy in creating the term is safe. But the Georgia career record of 36 sacks — set by another player whose given first name was David (Pollack) — is probably just as safe.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is a decent video on the topic.. He calls it the "man turn"

55 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Same shit as last year. Let shitty qbs just pick you apart underneath. Very clear our special advisor understands football but our fucking DC does not

Good things happen = GP

Bad things happen = PK

These guys aren't playing through contact. They need to stop being so finesse focused.

• Hook 'Em 2

I question the judgement of a DC that rushes 3 twice near the end zone against a QB that has demonstrated he doesn’t do well under pressure. 

Edit:

I've seen enough. Our defensive coordinator is a gaping pussy. Outside of Alabama, which was obviously a signature Gary Patterson defense, he never brings pressure, he never plays tight coverage, he runs three man rushes way too often. He is a passive, effiminate pussy. Get him the fuck out of here. And for all you apologists for his Washington defenses, he coaching in the shitty Pac 10. He's irrelevant. Fuck him.

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Our guys didn't always do positive things on blitzes, but more positive things happened with pressure than they did when we sat back in coverage. 

Can;t believe we didn't pressure more. That's on PK all the way.

Offense put up 31 and that should have been enough, but the defense didn't step the fuck up on a player or coach level. 

How many times did we see their guys get 2-3 yards after the initial tackle attempt if not completely break free?

On the flip side, they tackled us much more solidly as the game went on.

Full team failure, PK needs to be held accountable for the lack of pressure employed. Made this guy look like fucking Tom Brady.

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?