To Cancel or Not To Cancel

Kermit

28 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

She has to be one of the stupidest bitches alive. They were about to put her in her own spin-off but she couldn’t keep her big fat mouth shut on Twitter even after being warned twice before.

Yep.  Like a little kid who has been repeatedly told not to do something, but they just couldn't let it go.

Parent:  Don't touch the stove!

Kid: Why?

Parent: Because it's hot.

Kid: Why should I believe you?

Parent: Because I told you so.  Don't do it.

Kid: I'm going to do it, because I don't believe you.

Parent: You're going to get burned.

Kid:  Only if it was hot, which it's not.

Parent: 688

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

surprised, but then again in this day and age not surprised.  that was pretty tame.  apply that standard more evenly and there would be lots of people cancelled.  where did the mandalorian leave her again in the storyline?  the last time we see her is on the ship when luke walks in right?

• Like 1

I didn't see a thread on the topic. The whole "cancel culture" and the overreactive nature of society is stupid. I wish people would try to engage and understand, instead of grabbing pitchforks. At the same time, I believe in the mantra "Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.". Yes you have free speech, but free speech has consequences, and most idiots learn that the hard way. 

The latest victim 

Gina Carano will not be appearing in any future “Star Wars” projects.

“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future,” a Lucasfilm representative said in a statement Wednesday. “Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

According to Variety and the Hollywood Reporter, Carano has also been dropped by talent agency UTA. As of Thursday morning, Carano had not reacted to the news on her social accounts. Her most recent Instagram post, on Wednesday, featured a photo of her with the cryptic caption, “This is going to be fun” with a smile emoji.

It appears this was the tweet or whatever

I've made this 'joke" before, but I don't care. I can't decide if it's more surprising that MAGA is comparing themselves and their "struggle" to persecuted Jews during WWII, or that they're finally acknowledging the Holocaust.

In a show about space wizards and cute baby Martians, her portraying an actor was the most unrealistic aspect. See ya.

• Hook 'Em 2

Dem titties ain't dumb though....seems like the rest of the tissue surrounding them is though.  I generally dislike knee jerk "cancel culture" but yea when you have gotten several warnings to knock it off doesn't seem this one actually fits my definition of what I dislike.  There was a conversation, she was not immediately canceled, she had a chance to change and didn't.  That ain't being canceled. 

Edited by Surly Bevo

1 minute ago, Dirk X West said:

She didn't get canceled.  She got fired.

Actors have to straddle a line between personal opinions and not pissing off the studio signing their checks.  Disney warned her to knock it off and kept going.  She got her ass fired. 

Also - when a celebrity or politician gets caught doing something stupid or posting something incendiary, it's not cancel culture.  You're in the public spotlight by choice and you know the risks - you don't get to decry being "cancelled."  

It's not like Joe Q. Public who tweeted something and then a bunch of online trolls got mad/offended, sent it to their employer and they got fired.  That shit is annoying.  Gina is a public figure, by choice, and represents her agent and Disney in the public sphere. 

Edited by Js1

13 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

surprised, but then again in this day and age not surprised.  that was pretty tame.  apply that standard more evenly and there would be lots of people cancelled.  where did the mandalorian leave her again in the storyline?  the last time we see her is on the ship when luke walks in right?

Every company has social media policies in place that says they can discipline employees if they act like an asshole on social media. It typically involves a warning first (which she got) followed by termination if the behavior continues.

I used to work in Corporate Communications for a large energy company and I had to bite my tongue a million times on social media because I knew it could impact my employment.

When you're an actor who landed a key role on the tent pole show of one of the two most valuable pieces of IP in the world, you'd think she could do the same, especially after being warned to STFU.

As for the character, yeah - she was in the bridge with the others after Luke picked up Grogu.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

a social media phenomenon imo. things are only fun to retweet if they are hyperbolic.  so everyone has to act super pissed about everything and every comment has to be interpreted in its worst possible way so you can scream about it.  if you don't do that, you don't get that sweet sweet dopamine rush of seeing your tweet retweeted.  

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Sounds like she was warned.  If your boss tells you to cool it with the online stupidity then you cool it or face the consequences.  She was free to think stupid shit, but don't bring drama to the office.  She did exactly that.  It sounds like they cooled on her in November and decided to change direction or cancel a show where she could have starred but kept her around.  She didn't take the hint.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Thank god social media, and the whole internet thing, wasn't around when I was younger.  Not doubt I would have done something significantly stupid enough to haunt me for decades.  Well, I DID do the stupid shit, but it wasn't recorded for posterity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

a social media phenomenon imo. things are only fun to retweet if they are hyperbolic.  so everyone has to act super pissed about everything and every comment has to be interpreted in its worst possible way so you can scream about it.  if you don't do that, you don't get that sweet sweet dopamine rush of seeing your tweet retweeted.  

Well said. On its own, it's not THAT bad of a post. Using the Holocaust to make yourself out to be the real victim is obviously never a great idea, but there aren't any outright lies or hatred in the message. But it takes a special kind of stupid to not realize that something like that is guaranteed to blow up in your face given today's climate.

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Well said. On its own, it's not THAT bad of a post. Using the Holocaust to make yourself out to be the real victim is obviously never a great idea, but there aren't any outright lies or hatred in the message. But it takes a special kind of stupid to not realize that something like that is guaranteed to blow up in your face given today's climate.

Or when its your third strike - her first two were about masks and trans pronouns, and the star of the show's sister came out as trans. 

Shit, most of these fuckers love getting "cancelled". That lets them go whine about it and virtue signal from one of their many back up accounts, or through a surrogate. I have a FB friend who does this at least once a quarter and then whines from a backup account about his freedom of speech. He usually screenshots and posts the ban notice from FB like a badge of honor or something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

She didn't get canceled.  She got fired.

Precisely this. She was told by her employer to knock it off and she then double and tripled down. Why? You got to own those damn libs, man. You've got to throw away your own Star Wars series on Disney+ because owning the libs is so much more important.

Now she's welcome to still start in shows and movies. They'll just be things like what Kevin Sorbo and Kirk Cameron star in that pretty much no one watches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

For the most part I do not give a fuck what any of these people say because I separate the art from the artist.  James Woods is a total fuckhead but Videodrome is still a pretty kickass movie.  Having said that if Disney or whoever decide that somebody is a threat to their bottom line then they're well within their rights to shitcan them.  This isn't that hard.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Actors have to straddle a line between personal opinions and not pissing off the studio signing their checks.  Disney warned her to knock it off and kept going.  She got her ass fired. 

Is it not just actors but anybody working at any corporation?  I work for a Fortune 100 company and I know there are things I can't say or put out in public or my ass is going to get fired.  Not saying I believe in those things but I know that if I did I can't just put it out there.  Hell, I have to keep my politics silent and my views on a lot of issues silent since I deal with external people and I don't want to offend any of them.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Precisely this. She was told by her employer to knock it off and she then double and tripled down. Why? You got to own those damn libs, man. You've got to throw away your own Star Wars series on Disney+ because owning the libs is so much more important.

Now she's welcome to still start in shows and movies. They'll just be things like what Kevin Sorbo and Kirk Cameron star in that pretty much no one watches. 

Maybe she can be the next Scott Baio at the 2024 RNC. Dream big!

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, fakebusiness said:

If she was a fervent Dem supporter and posted something similar would she still have a gig?

You know Chris Pratt is pretty far from a fervent Dem supporter and hasn't been fired by Disney/Marvel?

You can be a conservative, but don't post stupid shit on social media, and certainly not after you've gotten 2 warnings to knock it off. 

Edited by Js1