To Cancel or Not To Cancel

Kermit

I do laugh at people who can’t connect the dots. Yes, you’re being fired/canceled/shamed for your opinions/beliefs...because you believe/say some heinous shit. No one wants that around their business. By all means, start your own business and say hateful shit. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Who's being silenced? No one is silencing anyone. There are just consequences when people say unsavory shit? I fail to see how anyone has been silenced at all. Publicly shamed? Sure. You know, it must have been Mel Gibson's fault for damaging his wildly profitable acting and directing career for repeatedly getting hammered, driving, and being pulled over and dropping N bombs and being racist. None of that was his fault, right? BTW he still makes movies, just shitty ones. 

Dragged Across Concrete was pretty good. 

17 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm almost ready for this country to be taken over by either a disgraced Jedi Padawan or cybernetic undead Sith Emperor just so every thread on Surly won't continue to be destroyed by the same arguments.  

fify.

• Hook 'Em 1

Edit: Others coved it already.

There is no way this scenario ends well:

Co-workers: You should knock it off, you're pushing upper management too far.  Keep the conspiracy shit to yourself, it's not hard.

Gina: Hold my spotchka, and watch me get on twitter and compare myself to Jews in Nazi Germany!

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Drew said:

Perfect. Everyone knows what we always needed was politics in Star Wars. What could go wrong?

George Lucas writes political drams for 8 year-olds, and they are called the prequel trilogy.

But seriously, put her political views aside - Disney was being directly impacted in a huge way by the pandemic, and were doing everything they could to keep their parks open, including lots of cleaning, mask requirements for visitors and employees, etc. and she was out there publicly pushing qanon conspiracy bullshit shit about masks and vaccines that ran directly counter to everything Disney was having to do at their parks.

That alone was enough for upper management to get really pissed off at her.

Unlike your typical qanon idiot, she had millions of followers on twitter and she was pushing shit that ran directly counter to everything Disney was doing to try and keep their parks open.

I'm honestly surprised she kept her job this long.  If my company mandated masks, and I was on twitter blasting anybody wearing masks and mocking the pandemic as a conspiracy, I wouldn't last long.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Is saying Republicans are akin to the Jews in Nazi Germany a political belief?  Is that on the GOP platform (maybe/probably?) 

She is a really stupid troll, spouting a bunch of nonsense, which her employer has repeatedly warned her not to do, @fakebusiness continues to dodge that point over and over and over. 

Bitch got fired for being insubordinate, and now @fakebusiness and douchebags like Clay Travis are whining like cunts.   

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

I really feel like you're just trolling, because no one is this dense.

i'm starting get that vibe as well. there is virtually nothing genuine in any of his posts, and flat out lies in others. he might not have a long shelf life around here. i may have to cancel him. heh.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

By the way, has a single person from the show's cast or crew come out in support of her? Not of her views/tweets but as a person who they work with and know her character? 

People who know him sure rallied around James Gunn. Chris Pratt has gotten nothing but support from his liberal costars when he's gotten shit about being a conservative Christian. 

Truth is she is a dipshit, not particularly talented, and likely a pain in the ass to be around. She didn't follow clear direction from her employer to stop directing negative attention to herself via her social media. This has to be the least controversial firing I can imagine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

This has to be the least controversial firing I can imagine. 

She may not have even been technically fired.  Reading around, she had not gone under contract for the New Ranger series, and her current contract for Mandalorian ended last year (she was just a guest star as well).

In fact, LucasFilm's statement kind of lays it out there:

“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

By the way, has a single person from the show's cast or crew come out in support of her? Not of her views/tweets but as a person who they work with and know her character? 

People who know him sure rallied around James Gunn. Chris Pratt has gotten nothing but support from his liberal costars when he's gotten shit about being a conservative Christian. 

Take it a little farther:  Gina was out there mocking masks, mocking the pandemic as a hoax, while collecting a hefty paycheck from Disney.

Meanwhile, Disney was laying off/furloughing tens of thousands of employees who make less in a year than she made for one episode of Mandalorian.

She was making fun of something that was negatively impacting tens of thousands of Disney employees.

• Hook 'Em 3

So in short,
The thread: they fired her for being a dumbass
Right wingers: no it’s PC cancel culture, look here is an unrelated argument!
The thread: dumbass, they fired her for not listening to them.
Right wingers: we are such victims! She’s being railroaded for political views! You don’t understand the context!
The thread: no dumbass she was fired for disobeying her boss.
Right wingerS: I don’t know what is going on or what the details are but I am sure I am right.
Thread: sigh
Right wingers: don’t cloak up Star Wars!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Take it a little farther:  Gina was out there mocking masks, mocking the pandemic as a hoax, while collecting a hefty paycheck from Disney.

Meanwhile, Disney was laying off/furloughing tens of thousands of employees who make less in a year than she made for one episode of Mandalorian.

She was making fun of something that was negatively impacting tens of thousands of Disney employees.

wow, this thread has really lowered my opinion of certain surlyites. 

she posts anti-semitic shit, posts anti-mask shit, qanon shit, and she expects to be employed by disney?

gtfo. 

really, really disappointing thread.

should i move all the political shit to the cloak room?

• Hook 'Em 1

So in short,
The thread: they fired her for being a dumbass
Right wingers: no it’s PC cancel culture, look here is an unrelated argument!
The thread: dumbass, they fired her for not listening to them.
Right wingers: we are such victims! She’s being railroaded for political views! You don’t understand the context!
The thread: no dumbass she was fired for disobeying her boss.
Right wingerS: I don’t know what is going on or what the details are but I am sure I am right.
Thread: sigh
Right wingers: don’t cloak up Star Wars!

giphy.gif
  • Like 1

i'm starting get that vibe as well. there is virtually nothing genuine in any of his posts, and flat out lies in others. he might not have a long shelf life around here. i may have to cancel him. heh.

You have the reaction speed of a Rodian in a saloon gunfight on Tatooine.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Actors have to straddle a line between personal opinions and not pissing off the studio signing their checks.  Disney warned her to knock it off and kept going.  She got her ass fired. 

Yep, and rightly so.  She's lucky they even warned her, because they didn't have to. 

Gina Carano seems about as a smart as a stack of ham sammiches.

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

wow, this thread has really lowered my opinion of certain surlyites. 

she posts anti-semitic shit, posts anti-mask shit, qanon shit, and she expects to be employed by disney?

gtfo. 

should i move all the political shit to the cloak room?

Lmao her posts remind me of the DT threads on covid and civil unrest. Go figure the same folks posting that shit on DT are upset in this thread

If she was a fervent Dem supporter and posted something similar would she still have a gig?

There was nothing in her posts about Democrats or Republicans.

Why do you assume she’s a Republican because she posted something offensive about the holocaust, mask wearing, and trans people?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh..........

Fuck off.

Kathy Griffin, The Dixie Chicks, Kacey Musgraves, and Shia Lebouf would like a word.

This stuff isn’t about party affiliation - it’s about being an offensive asshole.

Just so happens one of our political parties is a magnet for offensive assholes and celebrates being an offensive asshole.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

There was nothing in her posts about Democrats or Republicans.

Why do you assume she’s a Republican because she posted something offensive about the holocaust, mask wearing, and trans people?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh..........

Fuck off.

Kathy Griffin, The Dixie Chicks, Kacey Musgraves, and Shia Lebouf would like a word.

This stuff isn’t about party affiliation - it’s about being an offensive asshole.

Just so happens one of our political parties is a magnet for offensive assholes and celebrates being an offensive asshole.

What happened to Kacey? 

21 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

gtfo. 

I miss The Good Old Days when the conspiracy theories revolved around fluoride in our water, whether or not New Coke was a nefarious plot to add something to Coca-Cola, UFOs and Art Bell, and back and to the left.

For the most part, unlike this qanon shit, people weren't getting violent or saying stupid shit that cost them their jobs.

Sure, occasionally a UFO fanatic would pick up a felony while fucking around and finding out at Area 51, or somebody would pop off at a city council meeting about fluoride in the water and "what else are they adding", but by and large, these folks kept to themselves and weren't embarrassing themselves or causing problems for their employers.

Can all you dumb motherfuckers that never posted in here until your political bat signal went up go back to the fucking cloak room so this thread can be enjoyable again?  And the ones that were posting in here and the participated in the shit flinging, go take a fucking shower and then get your act together.  

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I do laugh at people who can’t connect the dots. Yes, you’re being fired/canceled/shamed for your opinions/beliefs...because you believe/say some heinous shit. No one wants that around their business. By all means, start your own business and say hateful shit. 

It’s the free market at the work.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can all you dumb motherfuckers that never posted in here until your political bat signal went up go back to the fucking cloak room so this thread can be enjoyable again?  And the ones that were posting in here and the participated in the shit flinging, go take a fucking shower and then get your act together.  

b26015e4a55722326cfca229f2408350.jpg

This IS the Cloak Room, dumb motherfucker.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

Hey dumb motherfucker, it was in the movies and TV forum shitting all over the Mandalorian thread. The last 3 pages of what used to be a good thread got moved here.  

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

nah, the continuity of this thread is going to be fucked up a bit because i had to take a lengthy cloak room discussion about carano's canceling out of the goddamn mandalorian thread on movies & tv. 

because people say they hate the cloak room, but they sure seem to fucking love cloaking up non cloak room threads.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, hayden_horn said:

nah, the continuity of this thread is going to be fucked up a bit because i had to take a lengthy cloak room discussion about carano's canceling out of the goddamn mandalorian thread on movies & tv. 

because people say they hate the cloak room, but they sure seem to fucking love cloaking up non cloak room threads.

I enjoy rolling around in the cloak room. Well, maybe enjoy is too strong of a word, but it’s better than a kick in the face with a golf shoe. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

jesus fucking christ, some of the most vocal anti-cloak room posters sure do love to cloak up threads on other boards, because they don't want to go to the cloak room. 

i moved that entire discussion to this thread in cloak room:

you want to discuss the politics of a thing, fucking do it in cloak room. if you choose not to go to cloak room, then simply shut the fuck up. i'm so tired of having to clean up shit like this.

Yeah, I don't feel like getting begged for just having a different opinion. Take that away, the CR would be better.

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Yeah, I don't feel like getting begged for just having a different opinion. Take that away, the CR would be better.

Yeah, that's why you get negged: the differing opinions. Not your complete inability to defend them with anything that resembles intellectual honesty, or even curiosity.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, that's why you get negged: the differing opinions. Not your complete inability to defend them with anything that resembles intellectual honesty, or even curiosity.

Prepare yourself for a 55 minute youtube video showing just how wrong you are about his inability to defend himself with intellectual honesty. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2