Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

USC has LA.  UT has Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and some of Houston.  I'd say those together are bigger than LA

There are 25 million people in SoCal.  there are 29 million in the entire state of Texas.  Shut the fuck up Donnie. You're out of your fucking element.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The play for the NIL isn’t the biggest swinging dicks, it’s the old silver spurs and Cowboys that love football and have made something out of themselves. Hell the old Rudy guys would have been perfect before they sold out.

Give 5-10 players from each of those guys a $12k endorsement deal and that goes a long way with the mid tier guys. 

The top guys should take care of themselves.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

There are 25 million people in SoCal.  there are 29 million in the entire state of Texas.  Shut the fuck up Donnie. You're out of your fucking element.

There were 25 million people in SoCal.  Half of them have apparently moved to TX in the last 6 months 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I didn't follow On3 much but are they going to be providing their own rankings that could be added to the Composite?

Yes on them creating their own rankings. Pride might keep them from being added to the composite. They're taking the best and brightest from anywhere they can, including ESPN, 247, and Rivals. Some major school sites will be coming across. They're going to add some things to the rankings that will also be new and important. 

In addition, Gerry and Crabtree, among others, make for a healthy apex of decisionmakers who at least attempt to avoid biases in terms of forming the national rankings.

• Hook 'Em 1

USC has LA.  UT has Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and some of Houston.  I'd say those together are bigger than LA

You’re correct, but not by anywhere near the margin you seem to think. You have to combine all four of those CSAs to be bigger than the LA CSA, and only by a million or so. And we’re not even including San Diego here.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

You’re correct, but not by anywhere near the margin you seem to think. You have to combine all four of those CSAs to be bigger than the LA CSA, and only by a million or so. And we’re not even including San Diego here.

Riverside/San Bernardino is over 4 million.

25 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Exactly this.  I read a few years ago in the LA times,  If the area from Los Angeles to San Diego were a country , the economy would be one of the largest in the world or something along those lines.

Edited by jdhorn92

why is there so much nft discussion?
do they really need to be that clever about it?  seems like there’s no rule about overall licensing deals that pay big $$ and don’t even require a photo, autograph, or public appearance, let alone unique digital collectibles.
and everyone on the team is eligible, though the tales of “this will only become a thing with the big stars” bit is adorable. 
Whats the roi on 3rd string long snappers these days? Once you get past the two deep on offense/defense, I forsee a huge disparity in money some players will get vs others.

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
11 hours ago, henrygandorf said:
why is there so much nft discussion?
do they really need to be that clever about it?  seems like there’s no rule about overall licensing deals that pay big $$ and don’t even require a photo, autograph, or public appearance, let alone unique digital collectibles.
and everyone on the team is eligible, though the tales of “this will only become a thing with the big stars” bit is adorable. 

Whats the roi on 3rd string long snappers these days? Once you get past the two deep on offense/defense, I forsee a huge disparity in money some players will get vs others.

if they're 4/5 stars out of high school, that's all that matters.

are we still pretending the sales pitch is "come here and play well and eventually you might make some nice coin"?

shit, even the miami article said something to the tune of "that would be x amount of dollars per scholarship player."

22 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Majority NFL. 

USC is far more popular than the Rams/Chargers in LA.

27 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Exactly this.  I read a few years ago in the LA times,  If the area from Los Angeles to San Diego were a country , the economy would be one of the largest in the world or something along those lines.

California as a country would be the 8th largest economy on earth. It is enormous, rich, and populous. Doesn't take everyone being on board to out-weigh every other state for sheer money.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Y’all shit the fuck up about media markets. They don’t matter and recruits don’t care.

See: Alabama and Clemson and Oklahoma.

Drop bags
Get croots
Win games
Profit and repeat.

Some of y’all are insufferable shitheads.

Yup. One of the biggest tiktok stars, Addison Rae is literally from podunk town in Louisiana and went to LSU. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Drool 1

24 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’ve been thinking this as well since the spring.  He was running faster times than Thompson through most of the track season, and he plays against better high school competition.    I wouldn’t even make it a contingency offer, either.  I’d just want him in the class regardless.

I think this guy is way underrated in general because his high school team runs the flexbone.   His size and track times are very comparable with Stewart’s and Thompson’s.

I'd take Thompson over him since Thompson is farther ahead as a WR, but I think he's worth recruiting 

3 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

And she lives in LA now, which would seem to undermine your point. 

She blew up in Louisiana though is the actual point. With the internet and social media it doesn’t fucking matter where you live to get famous. Not every player has the personality to get that big on social media. So none of this shit matter except for a select few or really hot women collegiate athletes. Market caps and our focus was retarded, obviously. We dropped the ball and completely fucked ourselves focusing on shit that doesn’t matter.  Just as you dipshits currently are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

USC is far more popular than the Rams/Chargers in LA.

California as a country would be the 8th largest economy on earth. It is enormous, rich, and populous. Doesn't take everyone being on board to out-weigh every other state for sheer money.

Actually 5th but point taken:

https://bulloakcapital.com/blog/if-california-were-a-country/

do you have to be in California and NY to hit it big?  Nope, but it certainly does not hurt.  Lebron and KD are on the coasts for a reason.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

She blew up in Louisiana though is the actual point. With the internet and social media it doesn’t fucking matter where you live to get famous. Not every player has the personality to get that big on social media. So none of this shit matter except for a select few or really hot women collegiate athletes. Market caps and our focus was retarded, obviously. We dropped the ball and completely fucked ourselves focusing on shit that doesn’t matter.  Just as you dipshits currently are. 

Bringing this back around to recruiting, why your analysis is wrong, and why this is a bad hill for you and the others to die on:

You are correct that the social media has made geography less important in terms of gaining fame, but MONETIZING it is optimized in moving to a large media market. 

We aren't going to compete with USC on an Evan Stewart who thinks his post ball career is creating a lifestyle brand if we're promoting Austin's (or even Texas's) media market as a great way for him to have a few commercials. 

I also don't think we dropped the ball just because two lineman went to Oregon and some MMA gym owner is willing to pay $500K for one year of Miami football sponsorship. 

If you do think we are potentially dropping the ball because it's past time to fully weaponize The Longhorn Network then I'd agree there, at least in terms of traditional media.  Forget the P&L, run that son of a bitch at a loss but get eyeballs on it.  That's the kind of shit the high school kids might notice (and if you feel like Texas media market exposure is a good peer to LA then this is how you might prove it). 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Straight-up bullshit.  

TV eyeballs for Texas are arguably higher than just about anybody else, when normalized for things like playoff games and shitty coaches. 

If you wanted to actually rank home TV markets, yes, LA ranks higher, but nobody seriously thinks people in Southern California watch College Football at near the same level as in other locations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Bringing this back around to recruiting, why your analysis is wrong, and why this is a bad hill for you and the others to die on:

You are correct that the social media has made geography less important in terms of gaining fame, but MONETIZING it is optimized in moving to a large media market. 

We aren't going to compete with USC on an Evan Stewart who thinks his post ball career is creating a lifestyle brand if we're promoting Austin's (or even Texas's) media market as a great way for him to have a few commercials. 

I also don't think we dropped the ball just because two lineman went to Oregon and some MMA gym owner is willing to pay $500K for one year of Miami football sponsorship. 

If you do think we are potentially dropping the ball because it's past time to fully weaponize The Longhorn Network then I'd agree there, at least in terms of traditional media.  Forget the P&L, run that son of a bitch at a loss but get eyeballs on it.  That's the kind of shit the high school kids might notice (and if you feel like Texas media market exposure is a good peer to LA then this is how you might prove it). 

Well luckily for us and everyone else, there aren't 100 other D1 schools in LA for all of these athletes to go to, so it really doesn't matter.

Besides, there are plenty of internet celebrities who live in Austin, Dallas, Miami, wherever. This girl lived in Louisiana. Where was she gunna move up to, Lafayette? LA's always the easy move when you're from nowhere.

The City of LA has a lot of name recognition with the entertainment biz, but it's becoming less necessary to be there now. You're seeing that every day with the Rogans etc... scooting out and still running their entertainment businesses elsewhere. Austin has plenty of California lawyers these days, on top of the ones it already had.

Edited by UncleBuck

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

USC played 6 games, their biggest game was against fucking Oregon. I don't see Texas on that list maybe they are having the same issues.

Texas' biggest issue was having a shitty team. USC's biggest issue is indifference. A good Texas team in playoff contention will have more eyeballs than a good USC team in playoff contention. 

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Gil Bang said:

Your point is what?   

I don't know about his point, but mine is that you took the intent of a post and took a shit on it to make the didactic point that he was thinking about the notion of a "media market" incorrectly. The guy's intent was that Texas gets as many eyeballs as anyone and damned sure more than random teams on the west coast via the socal market. He's correct on that. Texas, normalized for record, brings ratings compared any west coast team. Obviously teams in the playoffs and playoff hunt, irrespective of native base of viewers, will score highly in the ratings each year. 

So, yep, media market was used incorrectly as a term. Intent was fine. You cali honks that need to chime in to bleat for the wonderment of fucking California whenever you sniff the slightest hint of it getting slighted can calm the fuck down and maybe we can go back to discussing some other pointless shit that is less tedious. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, UncleBuck said:

Yah well no one will answer my question in the thread about smokers over in Food and Travel so I'm gunna stink this thread up.

All seasons makes good protein feeders. Buy a smoker from a company that's known for making good smokers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting