"they have two times out remaining"

SEC

I absolutely love this phrasing because A) it's technically grammatically correct which is the best kind of correct, and B) I've seen many aggy IRL get all pissy about it and show their ass.

For those who slept through Anglish, nouns have plural forms, modifiers do not. The noun is "time," the "out" is a modifier on the noun. It's "times out," not "time outs."

Do you say "time outs" like some jizzy-jeaned aggot of A&M or are you a thick-dicked bull elk who says "times out" like a pro?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 3

When I was in the Army, I would sometimes use the phrases staffs sergeant or firsts sergeant to make light of the correct yet ridiculous sounding sergeants first class and sergeants major. I also use RsBI for the plural of RBI.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bernorange said:

On my phone, so wont link, but Mirriam Webster says "time-out" is noun.  With hyphen.  Without quotes.

Mirriam Webster is the Yahoo Answers of dictionaries.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BigXII said:

I absolutely love this phrasing because A) it's technically grammatically correct which is the best kind of correct, and B) I've seen many aggy IRL get all pissy about it and show their ass.

For those who slept through Anglish, nouns have plural forms, modifiers do not. The noun is "time," the "out" is a modifier on the noun. It's "times out," not "time outs."

Do you say "time outs" like some jizzy-jeaned aggot of A&M or are you a thick-dicked bull elk who says "times out" like a pro?

How many Buds Lite made you want to write this?

• Haha 3

The real issue is whether the WR high pointed the ball, which is never at the apogee of the arc upon which the ball traveled; or if the RB stuck his foot in the ground, after which, there is nary a hole.

9 hours ago, BigXII said:

I absolutely love this phrasing because A) it's technically grammatically correct which is the best kind of correct,

Show your work.

In American and Canadian English, timeout is one word in sports-related contexts, where it means an official pause in the action. Timeouts is its plural. In all other uses, time out is a two-word noun phrase.

Grammarist

noun, plural time·outs.

Dictionary.com

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, BigXII said:

I absolutely love this phrasing because A) it's technically grammatically correct

Except that it's not because timeout in sports contexts is a compound noun, not a hyphenated noun.

100% of people who say "times out" are pompous douche nozzles who are trying to sound smarter than they are.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Not sure why everyone is referring to dictionaries and grammar websites.

The term is listed in the NCAA football rules as a "timeout" and therefore the plural is timeouts, which thankfully is how it's written in the rules.

Wouldn't it be NCAA's football rules?

2 hours ago, slorch said:

The real issue is whether the WR high pointed the ball, which is never at the apogee of the arc upon which the ball traveled; or if the RB stuck his foot in the ground, after which, there is nary a hole.

high point obviously refers to the jump.  you catch the ball at the high point of your jump which means you correctly timed your jump.