Political Discussion in Daily Texan

immamac

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

Literally the first response to that post (since deleted by a mod) was neonmoon saying something to the effect that the 6 year old should have been carrying. Multiple posts like that by him on that page alone related to “constitutional carry.”

This is a legit #bothsides issue in DT. Partisans have difficulty seeing that.

It takes some self control to avoid making smartass quips that devolve into political shitflinging in DT.   There are posters on both sides who are guilty.  I'm sure I've done it from time to time as well (usually with a few drams in my system).  

If folks would just try to post in good faith in DT or respect when they get called out for a shit/troll/political post, then the noise might go down.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don't think the political posts in Daily Texan are as big a problem as the protracted two poster slap fights that go on for pages.  That's what need to banned.  Nobody needs to read 20 post of "you're a moron"  and "fuck you, you're a tard".  Also, quit using tard and regard.

You're a moron.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

58 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I've been on various Texas msg boards for around 15 years and you've been some form of mod for a good chunk of that.  I've never had you or any other mod threaten or take action against me sans one person. All in one year, all in CR, different threads but a related topic.  Not expressing a fringe opinion by any means, just one that stirs up the locals.

Not just me either.  It's an observable pattern when the locals go full "rash of shit" as KY put it.

My experience as well.... I try not to wade in the CR waters that often anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Man, some of yall seem to forget the site you are on and it's roots in crass discourse. I didn't realize so many of you all were so sensitive and fragile to the point of needing your own space to not feel challenged in your views. Fucking welcome to life. There are those who will respond in ways that don't feel right, but I'm sure you get that in the real world too. In some ways I get it, the old CR was a cesspool of self righteous conservatives with minimal liberals able to get their points across. But now with Trump, the whole thing has been flipped because the right doesn't have a position to hold onto anymore, and that's tough to justify when challenged. 

In summation, you snowflakes can go fuck your feelings in your safe space or pull yourself up by your bootstraps and try to strengthen your position thru open, unfiltered discourse. 

Bro, I just switched teams.  It’s awesome.  Fuck Trump.  

If you wanna ban my ass, ban it!

/DennyGreen

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I recall that happening as well - but we'd be better served with a link to the thread for the context. JBJ (or someone) was trolling and "just asking questions" to throw stones at other posters and their arguments, but refused to take or express a position of their own - lest they have to defend it. That's a pretty clear-cut example of trolling, and is something that does tend to get people crowdsourced after a while.

That was the thread he did the same thing to AoC.

"Just asking questions" was one rhetorical question along the lines of "How many fires have they started this week?" to Brisket who was claiming "peaceful protests."   Yeah, that's cheeky, but not uncommon.

Someone tried to throw it back and I took a stab and threw it back at them.  That's when the flaming (directed at me) happened.  That's when he decided to show up and support the flamers.  Not saying I was innocent in all of it, but I didn't start it nor was the worst offender.

Edited by JBJ

56 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Yeah.  He demanded that I answer a question that was clearly designed to be a kafka trap.  I answered it while dodging his fallacy.

That's not even the one we PM'd about though.

So I had a few free minutes from a call getting cancelled and dug up the post that you're talking about.

Helpfully, Dahobbs made nice post memorializing your "just asking questions". In that case, you kept repeating the same question over and over saying "nObOdY wIlL aNsWeR tHiS" when it's more that you just don't like the answers you're getting. And then you spike the football because "it only strengthens your point every time we refuse" That's either trolling or being a pants-on-head dumbass. And it's why imma asked you to clearly state your position, since you were echoing the party line/justification for the deployment of federal troops without the consent of the state they were being deployed into, but didn't want to really own the position.

edit: just noticed that on the next page, Imma even clearly states why he asked what he did of you

On 7/21/2020 at 12:03 PM, immamac said:

no, my preferences are irrelevant - same thing as axiom. I need to know if people are just threadshitting and trolling or if you are really genuinely trying to argue for something. 

Edited by Captainant

22 minutes ago, Captainant said:

edit: just noticed that on the next page, Imma even clearly states why he asked what he did of you

Why do this this to me, AOC, workswithweed, etc. only?  Has he ever did the same to you? Multiple times?  Fuck, I probably have under a dozen posts in CR over the past 6 months.

TBF to him in this case that's not my finest hour.  But look at that thread.  There were so many to pick from.  Why single out AOC and me?

10 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Why do this this to me, AOC, workswithweed, etc. only?  Has he ever did the same to you? Multiple times?  Fuck, I probably have under a dozen posts in CR over the past 6 months.

TBF to him in this case that's not my finest hour.  But look at that thread.  There were so many to pick from.  Why single out AOC and me?

Well for one, I try to bring specific examples and references to a discussion which is definitely not "threadshitting". You got called out for repeating the same unsubstantiated party line/talking point over and over while strenuously objecting to voicing a specific opinion on the issue at hand because it looks a hell of a lot like trolling. 

44 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Well for one, I try to bring specific examples and references to a discussion which is definitely not "threadshitting". You got called out for repeating the same unsubstantiated party line/talking point over and over while strenuously objecting to voicing a specific opinion on the issue at hand because it looks a hell of a lot like trolling. 

Opinion on what the issue at hand?  I gave my thoughts on the full-brisket rant.  It's not a difference of opinion to whether there had been multiple fires.  It was all over the internet.  No one was genuinely upset that I guessed the answer was four nor asked the question without knowing a specific number. The only thing I strenuously objected about that was getting gas-lit. "what violence"  "exactly how many fires" "look we answered zero, that an answer, dur-hur"

Back to the topic at hand: It's an observable pattern when the locals go full "rash of shit"   I didn't help the situation one bit, but that's your basic CR sucks example right there.  I regret being a part of it.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Yea, May has been a good month for us all. Which speaks to maybe a more subtle issue; maybe because of the (Cringe 2020 buzzwords alert) unprecedented times we were going through and the new normals we were having to figure out, everyone was a worse version of themselves online and we are emerging from that.

It's been building up to this for years/decades.  Those of us who are older went from a time when the news on TV was more newsy and relevant to our local or national interests, to the discovery by the networks that sensationalism sells. All of the sudden if you turn on an Austin news broadcast here in 2021, you're liable to hear about some little kid that was murdered in Florida, or some elderly lady in California that baked some dog treats for her local shelter, just as much as Fitlump putting on her one red dress and looking for homeless people to argue with.  The news now exists to make a shitload of money tugging at our emotions, riling us up about shit that doesn't actually affect us.

I don't usually watch local news outside of weather events, but I swear when I come across it, that shit could be ripped right out of a TMZ or Buzzfeed News broadcast (and nothing against Buzzfeed, ironically they present some good news, but I'm referring to their listicles that the local media love to emulate).

And it's been dumbed down.  Go watch older news broadcasts, and they spoke to their audience like they were educated and intelligent.  Now, especially on the cable networks, and especially in the evenings, networks like CNN are looking for 60-second gotcha soundbite and Fox News is demanding we get upset at another group of Americans over some shit from 8 years ago.  

And like I said, we (Surly) are a bit of an outlier - we have a common interest (college football/sports).  We are also older and mostly educated, and so we get pretty pissy with the news and talking heads talking down to us like we are dumbass posters at fucking TexAgs.  There's a reason why TexAgs bought into the Q/Qanon bullshit for a thousand pages, why they always believe that next year is The Year where they win their division.  That spills over into our discussions on Surly - we probably have much shorter tempers than we had 10 or 15 years ago because of all of the above.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Every time I see a JBJ post, I read it.  He's one of the most reasonable, logical, and respectful posters on this board. JBJ posted a lot of informative information in the DT Covid thread without bringing politics into the equation.  And no, I'm not being sarcastic or taking sides.  

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

Every time I see a JBJ post, I read it.  He's one of the most reasonable, logical, and respectful posters on this board. JBJ posted a lot of informative information in the DT Covid thread without bringing politics into the equation.  And no, I'm not being sarcastic or taking sides.  

You should really read his contributions linked in this thread. Not the most enlightening dialogue. Or discussion based on concrete, non-rhetorical information. 

29 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

Yeah early on that was a really good thread and I remember his posts too. Unfortunately a handful of posters ruined the thread. I still don’t quite understand why they weren’t temp banned so we could keep the thread in DT instead of the 3 thread CR shitfest we have now.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You should really read his contributions linked in this thread. Not the most enlightening dialogue. Or discussion based on concrete, non-rhetorical information. 

You should really read Hmmm’s post again as he was specifically talking about the posts in the DT Covid thread.

Edited by justhookit

8 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

No shit. The fucking header before we made the move here was “buncha assholes”. I have a friend who doesn’t post on surly because he got shredded on the recruiting board for posting something that turned out to be bullshit. This is surly. People are assholes. Get the fuck over it and stop getting your feeling hurt by anonymous internet posters.

Honestly I cannot believe there are adults that are so hurt by rep and mean names on a message board that they feel the need to complain. 

I can’t believe there are adults who don’t understand why someone wouldn’t want to subject themselves to being called a cunt over and over because their politics is different than the majority of the board. 

If someone invited you over to their house and repeatedly told you that you were stupid and called you names whenever they disagreed with something you said, and compares you to Hitler would you keep going over to their house? If so why?  Are you that self loathing?  
why should my hang out on the internet be different than my real life?  

it’s funny- on the old site I think I noticed like 5 or 6 of the 8 or 9 people that acted the worst to me posting in the “I have a drinking problem” thread. 
theres 3 or 4 I can think of right off the bat that I don’t need to get into, but just awful and terrible shit. Go on a bender and just torch anyone you disagree with. Why would I want that?  Why would anyone? 

I bet, to think of one person that’s a lightning rod- @Johnny Sack is a good hang. But he’s reviled by the cabal. I bet in real life none of them would say anything. But on the flip side people giving him shit seem pretty fucking miserable and probably on benders a lot of time. Why should he post somewhere where everyone is going to ignore whatever he says and tell him fuck off trust fund baby?  Should he debase himself to that?  For what purpose?

I have zero doubt that @workswithseed is good people. But he’s treated like shit by plenty. He’s basically a kid without fully formed opinions trying to figure life out for himself and he’s clearly got a good heart. Does that matter

to a bunch?  No. 
and he brings up a good point about our resident commie @bad_teammate  he’s without a doubt the worst teammate. But he engages in idea based debate respectfully without being a dick. I could laugh at him for being a lunatic all day long and never once want to distance myself from being around him because I don’t agree with him. 
Fuck that shit man. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I think my last post in CR happened when I was talking about something and someone brought up, completely off topic, me going on my RV adventure during Covid and how that made me a piece of shit that wasn’t worth having an opinion and that post got all sort of likes. 

The thing that sucked was- I’ve been, at all times when talking about covid, up front about the fact that none of the bad effects of the thing are being felt by me (or almost anyone here) bc we are upper middle class, educated people that can work from home and will take care of our kids. That’s never been my point and I’ve always felt bad for the poor and marginalized (it was the reason I took a two year fucking sabbatical teach kids- I have a heart for that shit. I always have. I’ve always done whatever I can to try to do right). But they completely misrepresented what I was saying and got cheered on by the mob. And my question was- where is the hate for @troph?  She did the same thing with her kids on an rv during the summer. It’s an awesome way to get out, was safe during Covid, enabled us both to spend a bunch of time with our kids and make memories, but she’s a hero bc of her life story and I’m a piece of shit because someone disagrees with my politics. 
I’m pretty good natured about all sorts of things. I call myself an idiot all the time, I am way more likely to post a story where I’ve done something foolish or goofy and look stupid than I am to try to make myself the hero of the story. 
But for someone to call Troph a hero and me a piece of shit for literally the exact same behavior?  Where we are each just looking to do right by our family?  Seriously, who needs that? 
Then that person shows up on the divorce thread and you just say, nah, life is too short. 

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I can’t believe there are adults who don’t understand why someone wouldn’t want to subject themselves to being called a cunt over and over because their politics is different than the majority of the board. 

If someone invited you over to their house and repeatedly told you that you were stupid and called you names whenever they disagreed with something you said, and compares you to Hitler would you keep going over to their house? If so why?  Are you that self loathing?  
why should my hang out on the internet be different than my real life?  

it’s funny- on the old site I think I noticed like 5 or 6 of the 8 or 9 people that acted the worst to me posting in the “I have a drinking problem” thread. 
theres 3 or 4 I can think of right off the bat that I don’t need to get into, but just awful and terrible shit. Go on a bender and just torch anyone you disagree with. Why would I want that?  Why would anyone? 

I bet, to think of one person that’s a lightning rod- @Johnny Sack is a good hang. But he’s reviled by the cabal. I bet in real life none of them would say anything. But on the flip side people giving him shit seem pretty fucking miserable and probably on benders a lot of time. Why should he post somewhere where everyone is going to ignore whatever he says and tell him fuck off trust fund baby?  Should he debase himself to that?  For what purpose?

I have zero doubt that @workswithseed is good people. But he’s treated like shit by plenty. He’s basically a kid without fully formed opinions trying to figure life out for himself and he’s clearly got a good heart. Does that matter

to a bunch?  No. 
and he brings up a good point about our resident commie @bad_teammate  he’s without a doubt the worst teammate. But he engages in idea based debate respectfully without being a dick. I could laugh at him for being a lunatic all day long and never once want to distance myself from being around him because I don’t agree with him. 
Fuck that shit man. 

You've obviously not seen the pattern of responses by those posters highlighted. They get shit on because, by that point, most are tired of their disingenuous or completely fallacious point of view. So they get called out. No one owes anyone a pat on the back for bringing complete bullshit opinions/statements to the table. We have misinformation overload right now and it's important to call it out. I'd argue it's a duty of all citizens of our country right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 5/27/2021 at 8:58 AM, mdmost said:

This reminds me of my nephew who knew how much even saying Trump's name bothered his mom so he would just walk around her saying "Trump...Trump, Trump, Trump". I love that kid. 

Lol awesome

11 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

You've obviously not seen the pattern of responses by those posters highlighted. They get shit on because, by that point, most are tired of their disingenuous or completely fallacious point of view. So they get called out. No one owes anyone a pat on the back for bringing complete bullshit opinions/statements to the table. We have misinformation overload right now and it's important to call it out. I'd argue it's a duty of all citizens of our country right now. 

That’s like, your opinion man. Maybe they are like that because they get shouted down and treated like shit so that’s their response. 
I know I’d be extremely happy to hang out with seed in real life. I don’t think most would hate hanging out with Sack at his ranch. And those that would are probably pretty bitter. 
in real life it’s considered a virtue to be able to read the room. I just broke up with my business partners of 3 years because they were unable to do so and it was harmful. I think that’s most of what you see with conservative posters fleeing the CR. I don’t think anyone is afraid to have their opinions challenged (I sure as shit am not and have changed some opinions over the years due to online interaction around here) but nobody who likes life wants to wade through that shit. 
I can’t tell you how many times someone twists one of my posts into something completely 180 different from what I was saying, I think to myself is my communication that bad (sometimes yes as I’m typically doing this on my IPhone in between activities), and someone else like ( @formermav43 or @DonkeyCigarsposts exactly my point on what I was saying making it clear that the communication error wasn’t mine it was a dishonest reader intentionally ignoring shit. And when called on it is there ever a “my bad” or “sorry about that?”  Nope, and then it happens again, rinse and repeat. 

I’m probably wasting my time with all this shit. 
It’s the same shameful shit that happens to Derka ( @shadow_operative) all the time and it’s wrong there too as I’ve pointed out over and over. 

I will probably be out pretty quick as it’s not worth time to beat a dead horse. I’ve explained sufficiently what I think the deal is. You can agree or disagree. If you don’t my next long post on the subject isn’t going to change a mind or add illumination. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I think troph caught some shit for traveling during early COVID as well. I could be wrong, but I feel like I remember that.

Maybe. It sure as shit wasn’t happening to her in 2021 and wasn’t used as a basis for telling her she’s a terrible person as it was for me 

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

Hello Beautiful GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

And @Wulaw Horn - I was thoroughly entertained by your RV thread. Sorry to hear about the divorce and the hell you received in the divorce thread. The tent was brilliant. 

Thanks. The divorce was 12 years ago and the hinge point that made my life so happy now. Like the people in the alcoholic thread like @TwiceHorn who have made it though to the other side. 

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I think troph caught some shit for traveling during early COVID as well. I could be wrong, but I feel like I remember that.

I may have but we RV travelled in early summer that was our first venture out, and we locked down a day or more before the world really shut down (NBA/NCAA). The only people who called me a cunt were those who hate trans people, or secretly love us and hate themselves I dunno. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah I drove to the Catskills in June and stopped in a few potential relocation targets. Still early enough that it was not super clear what was high risk, although I had some reservations. Anyways, I just mean I’m not judging and in retrospect that was fine. Maybe I was just remembering people giving wulaw shit and him invoking your name or something.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

Much like west mall on hornfans, and after it the cloak room at shaggybevo, both were dominated by conservatives and republicans. Since both boards skewed almost universally white male college graduates or close to white male non college graduates none of that was surprising. Hell I was one of them even though I never bothered to post on them because I really only came to both sites for sports and posted accordingly.

What ultimately changed that calculus was trump. Suddenly many of those white male conservatives no longer supported what the republicans had become and were becoming and even though I had changed somewhat earlier than that, never bothered to post about it on a longhorn football driven message board. Hence the rise of the “shaggy liberal cabal” as coined by swam himself. 

The political board later years of shaggytexas.com and every year of the surly political board is dominated by posters who are anti trump and what has become of the Republican Party. It’s not anti conservative. In fact quite the opposite in my opinion.

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The political board later years of shaggytexas.com and every year of the surly political board is dominated by posters who are anti trump and what has become of the Republican Party. It’s not anti conservative. In fact quite the opposite in my opinion.

Agreed.

I am often chided for acknowledging this, as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Political discourse inthis community from HF to Shaggy to here has been a case study in idiocracy.  Maybe it's a reflection of our political theater.  Maybe it's a result of the growing polarization effect of social media and partisan traditional media.  Maybe it's just a truer than we would like to believe barometer of our devolution.

[serious]

Edited by bernorange
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah I drove to the Catskills in June and stopped in a few potential relocation targets. Still early enough that it was not super clear what was high risk, although I had some reservations. Anyways, I just mean I’m not judging and in retrospect that was fine. Maybe I was just remembering people giving wulaw shit and him invoking your name or something.

That last sentence is how it happened. 

49 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Much like west mall on hornfans, and after it the cloak room at shaggybevo, both were dominated by conservatives and republicans. Since both boards skewed almost universally white male college graduates or close to white male non college graduates none of that was surprising. Hell I was one of them even though I never bothered to post on them because I really only came to both sites for sports and posted accordingly.

What ultimately changed that calculus was trump. Suddenly many of those white male conservatives no longer supported what the republicans had become and were becoming and even though I had changed somewhat earlier than that, never bothered to post about it on a longhorn football driven message board. Hence the rise of the “shaggy liberal cabal” as coined by swam himself. 

Last paragraph is wrong. I’m not a partisan  I’m an ideologue- I get roasted for anything anti Dem. Bad Teammate is an ideologue not a partisan. He gets roasted for anything anti dem in the other side. That board is cheerleading for team blue. 

15 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Political discourse inthis community from HF to Shaggy to here has been a case study in idiocracy.  Maybe it's a reflection of our political theater.  Maybe it's a result of the growing polarization effect of social media and partisan traditional media.  Maybe it's just a truer than we would like to believe barometer of our devolution.

[serious]

Good insight.  And I'm not looking for a "safe space" as some would call it.  I'm looking for unbiased, non-partison, based facts.   See JBJ's posts in the early DT Covid thread for an example of how to keep politics out of the news.  Everything else clouds judgement and is mostly based on "feelings" (political theater).  And, I don't see things changing.

Edited by Hmmm

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Last paragraph is wrong. I’m not a partisan  I’m an ideologue- I get roasted for anything anti Dem. Bad Teammate is an ideologue not a partisan. He gets roasted for anything anti dem in the other side. That board is cheerleading for team blue. 

Well I disagree. The only reason why a bunch of the posters on that board are pro dem is because it’s the only realistic mechanism to be anti trump. 

Trump has no ideology. Ideology has nothing to do with it. 

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Well I disagree. The only reason why a bunch of the posters on that board are pro dem is because it’s the only realistic mechanism to be anti trump. 

Trump has no ideology. Ideology has nothing to do with it. 

I’m aware. It’s why I was anti trump in the primaries. Anti trump throughout. His ideology is him. 

• Hook 'Em 3