Political Discussion in Daily Texan

immamac

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It'd be interesting to see how many people have switched parties, or at least went independent, over the last 5-6 years.

By independent, can we include folks who are disgusted by all em?

I can't identify with either party.  They are total shit.  yes, completely.  They stand for bullshit agendas and identity politics and are  doing all they can to destroy our country in the name of "governance."

Do less, motherfuckers.   Seriously.

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It'd be interesting to see how many people have switched parties, or at least went independent, over the last 5-6 years.

Political parties are kind of like when you're in your 20s and get married, and you make verbal agreements with a couple of potential backup wives/spouses.  Then when you hit your 30s and/or have kids, what you are want out of a backup wife is far different from what you wanted in your 20s and so you find other potential backups, and then it changes even more when you are in your 40s.

Sure, a lot of people have no plans on ever getting divorced or widowed, but the potential is always there and you should be prepared.  Same thing with political parties.  Never tie yourself to a party that you can't extract yourself from, particularly if that party stops being about a platform and starts being about a person.

I have a buddy that falls into this category and it’s eerily close to talking with a reformed smoker. That is to say, he’s a condescending prick now. 

4 hours ago, slorch said:

By independent, can we include folks who are disgusted by all em?

I can't identify with either party.  They are total shit.  yes, completely.  They stand for bullshit agendas and identity politics and are  doing all they can to destroy our country in the name of "governance."

Do less, motherfuckers.   Seriously.

My thoughts exactly.  I have only voted for third party candidates for the last several elections because fuck them both in the goat ass

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My favorite maneuver of the former CR-turned-DT ranters is when they cruise the football boards and call out the people they didn't like from CR on those as "CR losers" or whatever and call for a rep ban at CR. Toadying at its finest. 

The fact that an LSU half wit has more Er than anyone on this site doesn’t say good things about the CR rep circle jerk. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I’ve been moving this week so I missed most of this, but read some of it. Yes, I am guilty of threadshitting the 6 YO killed by gun thread. I was a more than a few drams deep and the constitutional carry just passed. Mea culpa. It is sometimes hard to split the two parts of the story, especially when cause and solution are intertwined. To me, the news part is to offer jokes or thoughts and prayers, or a personal anecdote, etc. but anything else needs to be CR. I will try harder though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It is true that the astroturfers have been around for a good 15 years, maybe more.  I remember seeing a group astroturfing for Rick Perry's Presidential run back in 2012.  And by seeing, I mean I knew some of the people involved (and they didn't call it astroturfing, it was marketing mumbo jumbo "community outreach" or whatever).  Saw shitloads of product marketing bullshit back in the mid-2000s on a site I ran.  After I kept banning their accounts/spam bots, they straight up tried paying me (aka "sponsored posts" as they are known these days).

On the other hand, those people/accounts are usually found and dealt with quickly.  Marketers, even with the bots available these days, are simply not going to spend the time to build up accounts with legit posting histories that can be taken seriously.  They are somewhat hit-and-run, and especially these days with the bots (and the anti-bot/spam software a lot of sites use), but they are aiming for pulling down low-hanging fruit for a cheap price, and it costs them practically nothing to spam any and every site they find, on the off chance the site is not filtering spam.  Places like Surly and reddit can crowdsource them pretty quickly though, and that's why they were pushing so much money into Facebook and twitter marketing, because it was paying off for them in spades there, without the need to worry about being filtered out.

There is plenty of good political discourse out there, even on social media sites like reddit, and I'd argue there is some good discussion here.  And I say this as a former Republican and former Libertarian.  

But I really think you are dismissing Trump far too much.   The guy knows reality TV, and he knows his audience/supporters, and they give no fucks about political discourse, it's about winning for them.  Somebody has to "lose" in order for them to "win" and when that mindset kicks in, yes, political discourse goes out the window.

Fair point on Trump.  He certainly was an accelerant.  But it was going to happen with or without him.  

Many seasoned message board posters will take on numerous posters, mountains of evidence, and paragraphs worth of exposition detailing exactly how wrong they are, and they will just keep chugging right along happier than a pig in shit.  You cannot dissuade them with argumentation, insults, gifs, pretty much anything you can dream up in a text response.  People come to these forums to argue.  Arguing back at them is not going to discourage them.  What you can do, depending on the forum format, is downvote them so their posts don’t show up, shadow ban them, outright ban them, crowd source them, or make them lose points every time they post till they do some quick math and realize they’ve only got so many posts before they’re gone.  This is what really allowed for the enforcement of the prevailing dogma on political forums.  I don’t know how long time posters can think it has anything to do with the indefensibility of Trump when we all know full well that there is an endless amount of people on the internet who will gladly defend anything no matter how ridiculous.  

I disagree on reddit.  The format of the site is not conducive for in depth discussion and that is not its intent.  It is for headlines and succinct top comments, all of which are screened & selected by mods, astroturfers, and core active posters.  Nothing about it is organic point-counter point discussion encapsulating opposing views. 

Edited by synoptic

50 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The fact that an LSU half wit has more Er than anyone on this site doesn’t say good things about the CR rep circle jerk. 

Hugo's rep count is simply based on the fact that he has 31k+ posts. His ratio of rep to posts is nothing special and is in fact lower than yours, mine, and plenty of others. Hugo's rep total says far less about the CR than you're implying. It says he needs to find a hobby or something.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The fact that he and David Dennison get under the skin of a lot of you to the point you'll spend post after post whining about them says a lot as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Again you think it is something it is not because of YOUR bias.  Let me invite you to discuss a political topic over there.   I won't call you a cunt.  I won't sling shit.  I challenge you to defend the Georgia election, how Abrams won the election but how Kemp voter suppressed his way into office.   Teach me how and why I shouldn't think this is a massive election fraud perpetrated by the Republican party and how the glossing over this demonstrates a right-wing bias in media or a wimpyness on the left for playing by the rules.    Tell me why this is legitimate and why I am wrong.    

On 5/29/2021 at 5:21 PM, Johnny Sack said:

This is just absolutely stunning and why I don’t waste my time there.  From a group of people who did nothing but spend three years and tens of thousands of posts circle jerking to Russia election conspiracy theories   

It is a waste of time arguing with the insane.  I’m doing better shit right now.   

Well, you show up there, post shit and run away.  Now you are claiming you don't do that?  Or are you claiming you don't post there anymore because you have better shit to do, like post in here.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

The fact that he and David Dennison get under the skin of a lot of you to the point you'll spend post after post whining about them says a lot as well. 

Dennison isn’t half the poster the LSU comrade is.  

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Teach me how and why I shouldn't think this is a massive election fraud perpetrated by the Republican party and how the glossing over this demonstrates a right-wing bias in media or a wimpyness on the left for playing by the rules. 

Wrong. I was told hundreds of times the US have absolutely secure elections, without chance of fraud.  Anyone who questions this is a sore loser.  But more of a CR topic. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

Wrong. I was told hundreds of times the US have absolutely secure elections, without chance of fraud.  Anyone who questions this is a sore loser.  But more of a CR topic. 

The fraud is from republicans politicians suppressing votes to win, not from masses of voters committing the fraud. But like I said, let’s take this to the CR. Create the thread and then educate me.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

It sucks that you guys can't stop spouting and promoting your political views. I enjoyed the homeless conversation in the daily texan but not enough to venture over to the cloak room. I would like to find out the latest, though.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It sucks that you guys can't stop spouting and promoting your political views. I enjoyed the homeless conversation in the daily texan but not enough to venture over to the cloak room. I would like to find out the latest, though.

It’s why I get frustrated, I guess. I don’t know. It would be nice to have a real discussion about ideas and solutions and such. I have a few friends IRL I can have those discussions with so that’s nice. But I pretty much shy away from expressing my opinions as a whole either here or with other people. I usually wind up deleting everything I write and just let it go. It is what it is I guess.

7E3214B1-4634-44D5-9170-D43E0A8B2B5B.gif

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s why I get frustrated, I guess. I don’t know. It would be nice to have a real discussion about ideas and solutions and such. I have a few friends IRL I can have those discussions with so that’s nice. But I pretty much shy away from expressing my opinions as a whole either here or with other people. I usually wind up deleting everything I write and just let it go. It is what it is I guess.

Yeah, I have pretty much eliminated politics from my daily conversations and activities and am happier for it. I go to the voting booth but otherwise keep my opinions to myself. Thank god I'm not a celebrity because they get baited: If they keep their opinions to themselves, their opinions are assumed.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, I have pretty much eliminated politics from my daily conversations and activities and am happier for it. I go to the voting booth but otherwise keep my opinions to myself. Thank god I'm not a celebrity because they get baited: If they keep their opinions to themselves, their opinions are assumed.

I think one of the reasons folks sometimes make assumptions about celebrities is because the audience is exposed to them in ways that feel human, even though it is just their job and they are acting, it still feels that way.  We see them in emotional moments and get a connection to them.  After that, it is probably felt/assumed they have human like traits that tend left on the political spectrum. 

I see you mentioned earlier that you don’t discuss politics.  I recommend you at least read about it to stay informed while diversifying your media consumption. For national happenings, I’m a fan of the Newshour by PBS. It’s presented in video, and it’s free, online, and well produced.  It has none of the spin or exaggeration of cable news, so it might feel a bit boring.  For Texas happenings I recommend the Texas Tribune.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Maybe I just think that threats to the republic, attacks on the republic should warrant an investigation and a response and not a 'awe shucks' moment.   I am also aware how other states faltered after the practiced the Frozen theme song approach to handling domestic terrorism.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Nivek said:

The fraud is from republicans politicians suppressing votes to win, not from masses of voters committing the fraud. But like I said, let’s take this to the CR. Create the thread and then educate me.

Absolutely fascinating that all this fraud and bad stuff only happens against one party that has an absolute stranglehold on the media.  How can this be?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

FWIW, I thought the Homeless thread was a nice 'common ground' forum that obviously belongs on Daily Texan.  

I also realized how much Trump and Adler voters have in common.  More than you'd think.

We have a Fitlump thread in DT and she's the most political thing about our City Hall.  

Fraud is the wrong word to use for the Georgia Kemp/Abrams election. The actions that have been alleged are perfect examples of institutional racism. Systems that are on the surface-level are “color blind” but clearly are designed to disenfranchise certain voters more than others. If you move more often, if your name is harder to spell and someone somewhere mistypes it, etc, you might be more likely to get purged. Allegedly of course. But it wasn’t fraud since it was plainly done through the system. Allegedly, but also very openly.

It also seems strange to have the head vote counter running their own election for governor.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Educate yourself on this. It's another common lie not based on reality. Fox News is the number 1 cable news station. A lot of local news is owned by very conservative media. Satellite radio? Owned by a Trump donor. Twitter and Facebook (and now Parlor) have been dominated by right wing personalities. Your concern is with moderation on those sites (sounds familiar). They decided to take on misinformation, which you conflate with liberal censorship. Think about that for more than 2 seconds.

Fox News is one channel.  Twitter and Facebook actively censor conservatives.  The dominant form of media pushed some horse shit lie about Russian collusion for the majority of Trump’s term.  But, it’s Fox News that fucked over the Georgia elections.  Got it.  Think for yourself before you insult me, buddy...

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Fox News is one channel.  Twitter and Facebook actively censor conservatives.  The dominant form of media pushed some horse shit lie about Russian collusion for the majority of Trump’s term.  But, it’s Fox News that fucked over the Georgia elections.  Got it.  Think for yourself before you insult me, buddy...

One channel that at one point had almost as much viewers as MSNBC and CNN combined. It's since dropped post Trump. Regarding Russia, again educate yourself. Russia has and is involved in messing with our government and elections. An investigation ensued because someone benefited from it. I'm sure you had the same criticism about all the Benghazi investigations. Poor Hillary, right? 

But need to think for myself. Go felate yourself in a corner to feel better about your ignorance, snowflake. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

One channel that at one point had almost as much viewers as MSNBC and CNN combined. It's since dropped post Trump. Regarding Russia, again educate yourself. Russia has and is involved in messing with our government and elections. An investigation ensued because someone benefited from it. I'm sure you had the same criticism about all the Benghazi investigations. Poor Hillary, right? 

But need to think for myself. Go felate yourself in a corner to feel better about your ignorance, snowflake. 

Hey, go fuck yourself, bitch.  I bet you’re a pathetic little weasel looking cunt.

• Fuck You 1

I have a question for #both sides. Why will people bend over backwards, believe in conspiracy theories, read in signs from clouds, when it benefits their team but when presented with evidence, or testimony under oath, or as Spender Trillby would say “hard data”, they won’t believe it? 

This isn’t just about politics. This relates to sports teams. Anything really. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo
29 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

What, you don’t believe aggy ran out of time?

Jesus man, don't give those stupid fuckers any ideas.  They're gonna have a degree program before long called, "Gameclock Auditing Sciences."  They'll go back and review clock starts/stoppages for every big game they've ever lost. 

Their justification will be, "Despite there being no factual evidence to suggest we won the game in the allotted period of time, how can be so sure there was no massive clock fraud?  We must "independently" audit to make sure every second was accounted for, every second was counted, and the chain of custody of the game clocks and whistles and instant replay devices were not manipulated in any way.  

What's more plausible you sore-losing Aggie morons...that there was a massive, yet completely unproven, conspiracy between the Big XII office, the referees, the stadium clock official, the ABC camera crews, and other sideline crew members to make you lose your last game with Texas?  Or was it simply the guy you worshipped, Coach Sherman, just said and did a bunch of stupid shit towards the end and JustinTucker simply made that field goal? 

Which seems more likely?  The greatest football conspiracy ever in American history that apparently 'everybody knows about', yet has zero evidence of having taken place, with hundreds involved who've all managed to keep their roles in it quiet for all this time?  Or your rival just scored more points than you in the time allotted?  

Edited by Lobo