Florida dad takes son to do paintball drive-by; son gets shot by real gun in return fire from homeowner

shadow_operative

https://nbc-2.com/news/crime/2021/06/01/florida-10-year-old-shot-after-man-returns-paintball-fire-with-real-gunfire/

MIAMI (AP) — Thinking his home was under attack, a Florida homeowner shot and wounded a 10-year-old whose father had driven him to participate in a drive-by shooting with a paintball gun, police said.

Michael Williams, 26, told Opa-locka police his son begged him to drive by a home where young people were gathered Sunday night so he could fire his paintball out the window, according to a police report released Tuesday.

Williams drove by the home as his son fired off several rounds, police said. The homeowner confused the paintball for real gunfire, telling police he thought his family was being attacked. He fired one shot, which struck the child. The boy then lost his balance and was run over by his father’s vehicle, police said.

No additional details on the child’s injuries or condition were released. Williams drove the child home and his mother called 911, according to police.

The Miami Herald reports the father was charged with child neglect with great bodily harm. According to a police report, Williams “acted recklessly by agreeing to conduct a drive-by paint ball shooting,”

It was not clear if Williams had an attorney who could comment on the charge.

When my son was born, I became acutely aware of how much our culture feeds into the natural terror and angst of being a parent. If you listen to the “experts”, seemingly every choice is fraught with lifetime consequences. It’s scary enough being a parent, but our culture likes to amp that up to 11.

It didn’t take long to realize how that baggage made everything, including parenting, harder. Most of the expert advice mostly boils down to loving the kid and staying involved anyway.

I’m not sure how to square my experience with a parent being talked into faking a drive-by with his child and subsequently running over the kid. At least the father is engaged and actively listening to his child and they weren’t just staring at a screen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

... Williams drove by the home as his son fired off several rounds, police said. The homeowner  ... fired one shot, which struck the child. The boy then lost his balance and was run over by his father’s vehicle, police said. ...

That's outstanding reporting.

Father was apparently driving a car.  Child was apparently in the car (firing out the window).  Homeowner shoots kid and "kid loses his balance"?  He fell out of the window?  The car runs him over - he fell out the window and rolled under the car?  Did the car have a hole in the floorboard that kid fell through?

Also - after his child has been shot AND run over by his own car, the father decides, "hospital?  nah... I'll take Jr. home."

Odds that father was high on meth when this happened?

• Hook 'Em 3

I think there's a decent chance that the kid was riding on the hood, shot the paintball gun, owner returned fire, dad momentarily applied the brakes in a panic at the gunshots, kid fell off the hood, dad didn't completely stop before kid was run over.

This theory occurred to me because when I was a teenager I was a big enough idiot to ride on the hood of my girlfriend's car late at night in her neighborhood, then enough of a huge complete moron to stand up for extra fun at 10mph, she panicked and slammed on the brakes and I fell off. Nearly lost a nipple. Perhaps my proudest moment.

• Haha 5

I think there's a decent chance that the kid was riding on the hood, shot the paintball gun, owner returned fire, dad momentarily applied the brakes in a panic at the gunshots, kid fell off the hood, dad didn't completely stop before kid was run over.
This theory occurred to me because when I was a teenager I was a big enough idiot to ride on the hood of my girlfriend's car late at night in her neighborhood, then enough of a huge complete moron to stand up for extra fun at 10mph, she panicked and slammed on the brakes and I fell off. Nearly lost a nipple. Perhaps my proudest moment.

Guess he could’ve also been in the bed of a truck. Solid marksmanship by the homeowner though. Presumably a good distance away, potentially moving target, the adrenaline of not only pulling a gun but also while you think you’re being shot at, and you connect with the single round fired.

29 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Driving by a house, pointing a gun out of the window and popping away?  What could go wrong?

Sounds about right for the thought process of a 5th grader. 

Maybe the dad should’ve talked to his kid and found out why he wanted to do such a shitty thing instead of becoming an accomplice to shut him up.

Guess he could’ve also been in the bed of a truck. Solid marksmanship by the homeowner though. Presumably a good distance away, potentially moving target, the adrenaline of not only pulling a gun but also while you think you’re being shot at, and you connect with the single round fired.

I assumed minivan with the sliding door open. But that makes too much sense.

11 hours ago, Mole said:

I’m not sure how to square my experience with a parent being talked into faking a drive-by with his child and subsequently running over the kid. 

You see your honor, he ate all his vegetables. I had no choice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

The dude in the house fired one shot from inside the house and struck a small human hanging out of a moving car? Was Mark Wahlberg inside in a ghillie suit or some shit?

No, but I think he was Billy Zane in a helicopter

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 10:53 PM, shadow_operative said:

Williams drove by the home as his son fired off several rounds, police said. The homeowner confused the paintball for real gunfire, telling police he thought his family was being attacked. He fired one shot, which struck the child. The boy then lost his balance and was run over by his father’s vehicle, police said.

No additional details on the child’s injuries or condition were released. Williams drove the child home and his mother called 911, according to police.

The dumbass father's mother?  Or, the shot kid's mother? "uh, hey woman, the boy is out in the car says he's sick or something! I gotta run down the street and I'll be back later!" 

On 6/3/2021 at 10:42 AM, RexWilson said:

They pull a paintball gun, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, laundromat, you send one his to the morgue. That's the Florida way!

Fixed it.