Bill Cosby conviction vacated, to be freed from prison

Gourmand

17 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

From the looks of things, the PA supreme court made the correct decision. Even though he's a rapist piece of shit. 

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s my read. 

Yep.

And Mrs. Huxtable needs to STFU, because the ONLY thing that changed about the term "convicted and imprisoned rapist piece of shit" is the "convicted and imprisoned" modifier.

The record was quite clear: he's a rapist piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

I actually said at the time (maybe on here but maybe just to my wife) that from a legal standpoint I thought it was bullshit to be able to try him, but that the optics with me too were going to make it impossible to not have the case happen. I like that he spent 3 years in the clink, went blind and that we let him out- protecting the system. Kind of a middle ground outcome that allowed for at least a little punishment while also protecting the system. 

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Why, in this day and age, is there a statute of limitations on rape?

There was much less of a need for them 40 years ago than there is now.  Victims are much more likely to come forward now than they were back then.

It has to due with due process.  How would you like it if you were wrongfully accused of a crime like rape (or any other) from 25 years ago?  How do you defend yourself with evidence and eyewitness testimony deteriorating?  Or your memory of the event being lost?

It is a hard question for sex crimes as the accuser is getting victimized again.  Especially for sexual assault of minors.

But the accused has rights also that need to be protected.

DAs office in Los Angeles right now

Arctic Ninja Paul on Twitter: "#Coronavirus looking at those SDCC dates...…  "

*I know that they declined prosecution in 2014 citing SOL, but my understanding is CA has repealed SOL on rape cases largely due to Cosby himself. Edit:  looks like law was not retroactive so Cosby skates. Meme remains on general principle.

Edited by Foosters
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo
19 minutes ago, Disco Strangler said:

Wonder if there was any raping in prison. . . . If so, hope everyone was fully conscious.  

Dude, what's with your obsession with prison rape?  Rex Kramer wants to know. 

12 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I'm dumb as fuck because I still don't fully understand. This is bullshit 

Look at it this way.  He did the crime, and served 3 years in prison.  If the new DA didnt push the envelope a bit here he would have served no time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

From the looks of things, the PA supreme court made the correct decision. Even though he's a rapist piece of shit. 

At first blush yes. Upon further examination, no.

Cosby still could have pled the fifth in the depositions. He stupidly did not. He only did so based on an unenforceable deal. The government can’t force him to testify in a civil deposition to incriminate himself. You can’t contractually agree to give up your constitutional rights. Even with the government. The opinion is complete horseshit.

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 2

“That there was no formal promise does not mean that Cosby no longer had due process rights.” 

Language from the opinion. Talk about turning The whole thing around and on its head. There was no promise and Cosby had his due process rights, even as he sat in depositions sucking on pudding pops. Cosby’s lawyers fucked up and the court let them all off the hook.

I wasn’t outraged when I heard the news because apparently the news was either ignorant or slanted. I am outraged after reading the courts opinion. It is written in a manner which suggests they were searching for this result and were seeking to bar any further prosecution despite the law. It’s despicable.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

And. Here. We. Gooooo!!!

I’m not saying it’s normal.   I’m saying I’ve seen it.   I’ve seen a lot of different variables of how shitty people treat each other.  Racism of all varieties, class/caste-ism, sexism, you name it.   Just because you want to present some non-binary thought persona but every gotdamn thing you comment on is binary as fuck doesn’t make you some Quixotic pillar.   You’re so guilty of the same shit you want to accuse everyone you don’t agree with that you can’t even see it, and are too fucking dense to notice it.  Must be fun.   

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I like that he spent 3 years in the clink, went blind and that we let him out- protecting the system.

I may be misremembering this one, but I believe the Lockerbie bomber got sent back to Libya after they found out he had terminal cancer.  Little while after his triumphant return to Libya he made a miraculous recovery.  M.D. Anderson ain't got shit on Tripoli General I guess.

Wonder if Bill is going to regain his eyesight in a few days?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

I'm dumb as fuck because I still don't fully understand. This is bullshit 

Do you really want the state/govt to pull this sort of bullshit? Promising that there will be no prosecution, thus depriving (from what I've read) one's ability to use one's fifth amendment rights? Try to think of the broader issue here. 

This isn't bullshit. It's bullshit if people are comfortable with the government doing this. Just my opinion. There's a reason why we have the Bill of Rights placing limits on the powers of government.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

There wasn’t even a fucking deal! If anything Cosby’s lawyers were idiots and the court just said oh well, let him out anyway. 4 to 3 decision. No doubt money was exchanged. Bullshit. 

A verbal agreement is legally binding. If the DA promised not to prosecute, which no one disputes, and did anyway after Cosby testified under that pretense, it is a violation of his 5th Amendment rights of no self-incrimination. 

I don’t agree with the no retrial part. 

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Do you really want the state/govt to pull this sort of bullshit? Promising that there will be no prosecution, thus depriving (from what I've read) one's ability to use one's fifth amendment rights? Try to think of the broader issue here. 

This isn't bullshit. It's bullshit if people are comfortable with the government doing this. Just my opinion. There's a reason why we have the Bill of Rights placing limits on the powers of government.

The state pulls much worse bullshit on more innocent people with fewer resources all the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

The state pulls much worse bullshit on more innocent people with fewer resources all the time. 

There's no question that Bill won his appeal because he could pay for a top-notch legal team..

Without isolating the discussion to this particular case, there's no question that people with more money often get a better defense -- you get what you pay for.  Just like most everything else -- more money gets you access to better resources, which give you better results.  It's why athletes from richer countries -- which can afford expensive training and nutrition programs -- usually outperform athletes from poorer countries.  It is the way of the world.

That don't make it right.  It just makes it reality.

My larger point is that when shit like this happens, there's always some people who say some variation of "well this is really for the best, because if the state could do this to this rich person, it could do it to anyone," when the truth is that it already can do it to anyone, but chooses to give the rich a pass. Nobody that doesn't have tens of millions of dollars is the tiniest bit safer from the state of Pennsylvania today because of this.

20 hours ago, demos said:

5fbb14ec24413faaf865f1b4449666d6.jpg

She turned off the comments but she still getting dragged in the quote tweets.

Wow, I was starting to see her turn up in more high-profile work in recent years, but she's just wiped all of that out.

And she was just named dean of Howard University's fine arts college.

27 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wow, I was starting to see her turn up in more high-profile work in recent years, but she's just wiped all of that out.

And she was just named dean of Howard University's fine arts college.

She should have a celebration party with Cosby as the bartender.

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

A verbal agreement is legally binding. If the DA promised not to prosecute, which no one disputes, and did anyway after Cosby testified under that pretense, it is a violation of his 5th Amendment rights of no self-incrimination. 

I don’t agree with the no retrial part. 

It’s my understanding that the DA made a statement that he wasn’t going to prosecute “at this time” in a press conference. If that’s accurate then I don’t consider that to be a legally binding “promise” to never prosecute.  If the DA had granted him immunity that would be a whole different deal but that’s not what happened.