Game Week- Louisiana

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Main things I'm looking for:

1) We feed a RB if they are on a roll and don't swap him out, unless the guy taps himself out

2) Passes the ball over the middle to a WR who is actually moving (open would be nice too, but baby steps)

3) Defensive that limits the number of wide open WRs running across the middle (subjective number, but we'll know it when we see it)

4) a blitz that actually works

I'll consider 3 of 4 to personally be a "we're heading in the right direction with the right guys" first game

I would add “O-line consistently picks up stunts and twists by the ULL D-line”

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Current Saturday forecast is a high of 98.  It was in the lower 90s a couple days ago.  Fuck FOX.

79 degrees at 1045 in Far West Texas, predicting max 85 all week. I'm sitting at about 400 miles west and 9 miles south of Austin. T&P.

EDIT In the olden daze, 0U was our first day game of the year, and kickoff time depended on when that Saturday's World Series game was going to start. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, South Austin said:

Sorry if already posted elsewhere, but are they shutting down the Champions Club this season? 

I got an email about this yesterday.  It indicates it will be hosted at the Thompson Conference Center.  I never really go but know you used to get wristbands with season tix. I didn't get those either. Maybe they just have a list.

31 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

ULaLa can only play 11 players on defense like everybody else. Sark's offense has a home run built into every play.

The reason why these two thing are related is because it limits the amount of "patient" drives we have (in a good way). Now, as much as I'd like Bijan scoring on every scamper, that shit ain't realistic. Certainly, if he's grabbing 10+ yards, let him roll. Since I don't think ULaLa's defensive coaches are morons, they'll certainly want to adjust. That's when things get fun.

Picture "trips right" - three receivers to the wide, field side of the OL. Customarily, these receivers run at different "levels" in the defense: shallow (cross), medium (curl or hook), and deep (fly or post). It's almost impossible to cover receivers 1 on 1 for any length of time. Unless they've found 4 "shutdown" corners, there's going to have to be some rotation and help.

Our receivers are taught to play routes and concepts instead of positions. You may be lined up inside, but you're still the "deep" route. This prevents the defense from aligning based on formation. They're going to have to play the routes as they develop. As the game moves and the RPO forces more attention to the LOS, the chances are the receivers will encounter misaligned coverage. When the shallow or mid-level guy gets it, that's a nice 8-15 yard gain.

Eventually, the "misalignment" will happen to the deep guy. The NB looked into the backfield to see what Bijan was doing. His receiver got 2 steps on him. Now, the receiver encounters the deep safety. That safety will now ALWAYS be wrong. If he attacks inside to the field, the receiver bends his route  to the pylon. If he tries to leverage the sideline to help, the route gets bent inside to the goalposts. Either way, the safety will be outside the shoulder of the receiver. The QB just leads him to daylight. The safety is on tape looking like he blew it big-time, but the reality is that pressure from other options put him in an unwinnable situation.

Sark stresses seeing the deep route first. If it's covered, fine. Move on to other progressions. However, if the defense is properly respecting a non-predictable offense (!), the deep route will open at some point during every series.

Good post. I'm not worried about our scheming or play calling - I'm more worried about execution. To hit that home run play, the:

- WR needs to run the proper route and sometimes make the proper adjustment.

- OL needs to give the QB at least 3-4 seconds. 

- QB needs to make both the right decision and the right throw. 

Hopefully we are capable of all of that more often than not - but I expect some growing pains. As long as the home run comes more often than turnovers or 3 and outs then we should survive it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Cardinal12 said:

Sorry, I should have worded more clear. We have a tendency to play sloppy. Hopefully Sark has that clamped and there nothing there to worry. If not ULL, while being talent wise inferior, seems to have a decent ability off profiting off opponents mistakes. 

Using Tendencies under a whole new staff is stupid

2 hours ago, horngasm21 said:

I don't know how anyone can predict this game. other than  bijan its a mystery.

This is an awful take. It's not a mystery at all. Texas has good to great players that were never in position and played confused and stupid because of coaching. 

Coaching problem is fixed. Players gonna play. 

Do you guys think Alabama fans give 2 fucks about who they play? They predict blowout every game. 

I think Louisiana will more likely try and take away the explosive passing game and force us to patiently march down the field, at least until we prove to them that we can do that efficiently 

I see where you’re coming from in wanting to make a new QB consistently make the right play, not to mention making an OC known for looking for the home run call a disciplined game.

That said, knowing ULL’s most significant weakness is its run defense, which is not a good matchup at all against an elite RB and veteran OL, I’m not sure I’d just invite Texas to run the ball. I think you sell out to stop the run and put pressure on Card, and let your veteran DBs shoulder the burden against an unproven Texas WR group. If Card makes the plays, or Texas runs over you anyway, then you tip your cap. But you don’t invite your opponent’s strength to tee off against your weakness.
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, horngasm21 said:

I don't know how anyone can predict this game. other than  bijan its a mystery.

In last year's NC game, and really, most every Bama game last year, it seemed like every play was designed to put the ball in Smith's hands.  This, despite the fact that every D knew that was the plan.  So I have tremendous faith that Sark will be able to do the same with Bijan.

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, this would be a nightmare matchup if Herman were still here. Press man corners and a 350 lb NT to clog up inside zone. We’d be looking at a likely loss because Herman would play right into their hands.  This game is going to be a great opportunity for PK and Sark to show us they’re actual coaches, unlike the various shit stews we’ve been served over the last ten years. 

This highlights both my hope, and my fear.

Sark & co. have track records and words-on-file that suggest we will see a solid game plan backed by intelligent in-game adjustments. This should lead to a lot of comfortable wins.

Something about the last decade, though, to give pause. Strong and Herman both seemed to regress over their tenure here.

Nothing scientific about worrying that the same thing happens again, but that doesn't stop me from having that nagging doubt, "What if it happens again?"

I want to see 200+ yards from Bijan, just to shut up the doubts.

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Sark & co. have track records and words-on-file that suggest we will see a solid game plan backed by intelligent in-game adjustments. This should lead to a lot of comfortable wins.

I’m looking forward to the ULL game because it will be a great litmus test for our coaching staff. If they can just match Napier from a coaching standpoint, we should win comfortably. 

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Strong and Herman both seemed to regress over their tenure here.

Have to disagree here. Charlie showed he was in over his head from day one by signing Watson as OC and repeatedly failing to find QB depth or address other pressing needs. Herman rolled out with a god awful game plan against UM, based on a faulty belief we had a dominant OL and he started Gray at TE, who proceeded to kill about 5 of our first 7 drives, which is exactly what anyone with a hint of football knowledge should have expected. They both pretty much broadcasted to us from day one that they weren’t going to the guy for us. I don’t think there was any regression at all. They just weren’t ever good. 

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Nothing scientific about worrying that the same thing happens again, but that doesn't stop me from having that nagging doubt, "What if it happens again?"

I’m with you here. There’s no actual reason why we shouldn’t win this game, but I still feel like there’s a pretty good chance just from being subjected to the last ten years. 

• Hook 'Em 4

19 hours ago, South Austin said:

Sorry if already posted elsewhere, but are they shutting down the Champions Club this season?  My old man and I would hang out there pre-game for the past several years, but he said Champions Club passes didn't come with his season ticket delivery.  I haven't seen anything about it on the UT site, and assume that because of COVID they don't want a bunch of folks in Bass Concert Hall.

And since we don't have a tailgate to attend, any ideas on where to enjoy a few beers before the game, preferably in the shade?

Check on your Texas Athletics account under tickets.  I found my Longhorn Foundation Pass under there as a ticket I add to my wallet for the whole season.  

17 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

To be honest, I'd just like to see a game where we don't kill half our drives with stupid penalties, a competent run game, competent special teams, and the coach not sit back and relax when we're up by one score. That would be ideal. If we can do that, I have no doubt that Texas will win.

this

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, stork642 said:

SiriusXM espn is really pushing the LaLa upset narrative but I don’t think they really believe it.  After Texas wins they will push the Texas is back narrative.  So predictable.  

Wow, who would have guessed that Sark can coach offense?! And who would have predicted that Pete K would have a good defense? Oh, and Bijan whatshisname? We did not see that coming!

I see where you’re coming from in wanting to make a new QB consistently make the right play, not to mention making an OC known for looking for the home run call a disciplined game.

That said, knowing ULL’s most significant weakness is its run defense, which is not a good matchup at all against an elite RB and veteran OL, I’m not sure I’d just invite Texas to run the ball. I think you sell out to stop the run and put pressure on Card, and let your veteran DBs shoulder the burden against an unproven Texas WR group. If Card makes the plays, or Texas runs over you anyway, then you tip your cap. But you don’t invite your opponent’s strength to tee off against your weakness.
If Napier tries to play some Interdimensional chess by focusing on pass defense...it must mean he likes living in Lafayette Louisiana very much and doesnt ever want to leave, even if his house floats away. Run stopping is their priority, ours is to blow up that sort of stratagerizing.

Just now, SubliminalHorn said:

I take it it’s not for the poors season ticket holders? Only high rollers?

It's actually for Undergrads.  You pay an extra $25 bucks a year and get a separate entrance to the student section.  You also get first pull for OU tickets.  In 2019, I had row 2 tickets in the best section for OU.  For other sports, the offer access to box seating and stuff for select games.  I'm borrowing a buddies big ticket.  I graduated in May.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah but he's 6000 tall. That might be a real issue.
Maybe loosiana uses MM instead of feet and inches?

That's still 19'6" tall, but should take him a good 3-4 seconds to snap the ball and go from 3 point to upright. Plenty of time for Coburn to blow right by him.

Facebook reminded me of this picture I posted from this day in 2013 (should have gotten that chick on the right's #) from the New Mexico State opener. I posted a follow up comment "This is pathetic" after David Ash threw his 2nd interception and the score was 14-7 at the half. Got it together in the 2nd half and won 56-7, but fuck opening day nail biters. 

Let's just come out swinging and not let up the entire season, can we? 

964271_10151907258488322_1993653057_o.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ousux said:

Maybe loosiana uses MM instead of feet and inches?

That's still 19'6" tall, but should take him a good 3-4 seconds to snap the ball and go from 3 point to upright. Plenty of time for Coburn to blow right by him.

Lol if he’s 19’6” tall and 260lbs, that weight is spread over so much volume that this man would get ripped or snapped in half by Coburn rushing

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, my dad got that email and when he called they said they'd be emailing him bar codes for access.  I'm debating pre-game outdoors in the heat versus the air-conditioned Thompson Conference Center, with the latter concern finding some space where my vaccinated but 77-year old cancer survivor father won't be surrounded by the masses.  He cares less than I do because he's sick of this pandemic and his years are more limited, but I'm mindful of his condition.

Best of luck. I'm already steeling myself for the looks I'll get for wearing a mask at the game. 

On 8/30/2021 at 3:50 AM, Izhmash said:

@Huckleberry Are you planning to run the prediction contest again this year? Have really enjoyed that the last few years.

Our former benevolent dictator blacklab is working on getting this going again. He said next few days so it may be a mad rush to get in your first game predictions.

• Hook 'Em 2