COVID FAFO Roll Call

MaybeACoordinator

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Not sure what they need gofundme for.  Surely they have health insurance right?  All you have to do is hit a deductible and out of pocket limit then it’s all 100% covered.  And surely these smart hard working Americans have 10k in an emergency fund to cover it.  And I’m sure these smart hard working Americans have life insurance, I mean it’s so cheap as long as you are not over weight not a smoker and not a heavy drinker!

I know one dumpfer anti-masker (and he got the vaccine.) Self employed. Used to rail about the ACA, though he had no insurance nor did he offer any to his employees. A health issue brought him to the hospital. I asked him if he saved money by skipping enrolling. “Not even close,” he said. Still has no insurance. And I have my doubts that he will meet his financial obligation to the hospital.

We don’t talk anymore. Told him he’s not welcome at my house.

1 hour ago, Da Fino said:

Steele, who has been with the network for about 15 years, made a series of controversial remarks during an appearance on former NFL quarterback Jay Cutler‘s podcast “Uncut with Jay Cutler,” where she shared her thoughts on her company’s vaccine mandate, sexism in the sports journalism industry and questioned former President Obama’s ethnicity. 

Discussing how Obama selected "Black" as his ethnicity on the census, she said: “I’m like, ‘Well, congratulations to the president. That’s his thing.’ I think that’s fascinating considering his Black dad was nowhere to be found, but his White mom and grandma raised him, but hey, you do you. I’m going to do me."

Steele also said she has rejected requests for mentoring from aspiring female sports reporters who present themselves in what she sees as an overly sexualized manner.

“So when you dress like that, I'm not saying you deserve the gross comments, but you know what you're doing when you're putting that outfit on, too,” Steele said. “Like, women are smart, so don't play coy and put it all on the guys.”

Lot's to unpack here. She's having quite a day. 

Jesus, there was a time when people were able to tell when they had kooky opinions and would keep that shit to themselves. I guess that ship has long ago sailed.  Thanks Obama!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Da Fino said:

Steele, who has been with the network for about 15 years, made a series of controversial remarks during an appearance on former NFL quarterback Jay Cutler‘s podcast “Uncut with Jay Cutler,” where she shared her thoughts on her company’s vaccine mandate, sexism in the sports journalism industry and questioned former President Obama’s ethnicity. 

Discussing how Obama selected "Black" as his ethnicity on the census, she said: “I’m like, ‘Well, congratulations to the president. That’s his thing.’ I think that’s fascinating considering his Black dad was nowhere to be found, but his White mom and grandma raised him, but hey, you do you. I’m going to do me."

Steele also said she has rejected requests for mentoring from aspiring female sports reporters who present themselves in what she sees as an overly sexualized manner.

“So when you dress like that, I'm not saying you deserve the gross comments, but you know what you're doing when you're putting that outfit on, too,” Steele said. “Like, women are smart, so don't play coy and put it all on the guys.”

Lot's to unpack here. She's having quite a day. 

So she's an old white guy?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

I have always laughed at the idea of people paid to post on niche forums like shaggy/surly. while I'm sure there is some of that on larger national platforms, the ROI just cant be there for a site like this one.

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Its possible I guess, but every time I notice that accusation on this site, it never seems likely to me.

I've seen paid astroturfing campaigns, both as a mod on a really large forum (a website with a national/international user base), and I've also seen it somewhat from the inside.

The ones I saw as a mod were mostly product placement/endorsement types of campaigns (Sony hired somebody that did a really stupid fucking one that we watched play out which put it on my radar), and the ones I saw from the inside were political in nature.  

Mind you, this was all before twitter/Facebook/social media got really big or as pervasive as it is, and I know things have really changed and they are much better at hiding themselves in the noise of regular forum activity.  Astroturfers these days, IMO, are much better at targeting niches and integrating themselves into communities that are receptive to their campaigns, and are therefore less likely to turn on them.

But the stuff I saw with forums, it's done in a variety of ways - some companies or campaigns are deliberately out to get themselves directly mentioned on specific websites. and they want to know about it (they want to see the results).  Other companies/campaigns are just spending the money and just want widespread coverage and aren't concerned with specific sites (it's more akin to your typical advertising).  

In a lot of instances, it's people overseas, but plenty of times, at least on the political side, it's campaign volunteers.

One thing I saw was people who were given specific talking points to get across, and they were given specific websites to target.  In some cases they had to create the profiles, but a lot of times the profiles were already created and had been primed by somebody else (occasional posts over X amount of months or whatever).  They had to spend time engaging with other forum posters, etc., and they would send screenshots from those specific accounts showing that to whoever was tracking it.

I saw that a lot of reddit, and saw it a lot on places like Free Republic - in one case I know of, it was somebody hired by some company who was hired by another company with Rick Perry's campaign that were astroturfing FR and a few other places.  I doubt Perry's campaign people were aware of it, because there were multiple layers between the campaign and the end result.  It was blatantly obvious that they were astroturfing, and a bunch of FReepers were calling them out, but they stuck to their guns, and in the process, the Freepers were so focused on the obviously Rick Perry shill they missed the other FR astroturfing accounts that were like "yeah, I think that's a fake cheerleader for Perry, but Perry did do the right thing on this account".  It was half-a-dozen or so FR accounts controlled by one person who was probably making $5 - $10 an hour posting this stuff.  There's plenty of people who will do this kind of stuff for cheap (but companies like getting them on the payroll for better control, NDAs, etc.).

I've also been told it happened a lot for Trump, from a variety of funding sources, and using FR as an example, they went through a lot of burner accounts on Free Republic in 2015/early 2016 as there was a lot of resistance to Trump.  These were burner accounts setup years before for other campaigns, and they were used for Trump.  I had links sent to me from a friend who was getting paid to track this stuff.

In other cases, it was more like a pseudo-freelance thing where they would go out and find forums and post wherever, and send the screenshots back to the managers.  This is a lot more prevalent with forums these days.  Places like Surly get hit by that all the time.  I recently built a small website for somebody, with a forum, and they were pretty niche, and within a month or two of them truly hitting the search engines, they had multiple accounts that I'm pretty sure are tied to the manufacturers for product placement, as in it's their social media team.

These days, it's much easier, cheaper, and more effective for astroturfers to straight up pay social media influencers, and most companies/campaigns have actual social media teams that understand how all of this works, and they use fans of the product/candidate to carefully spread messages.  10-15 years ago, not so much, but there are still companies that get paid to Astroturf her win 2021, and they have access to social media influencers who will shill for a price.

/end derail

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Anti-vaxxers are a dumb lot. It is. Especially those dying to “own the libs.”

But I want to clarify… do we want more idiots dying quick deaths, or fewer dying slow painful gasping for air deaths?

As long as we have the room in hospitals, I’m in favor of slow and painful, but I’ll defer to the medical professionals who post here, and I think they would probably prefer to never interact with these people.

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Anti-vaxxers are a dumb lot. It is. Especially those dying to “own the libs.”

But I want to clarify… do we want more idiots dying quick deaths, or fewer dying slow painful gasping for air deaths?

Just as long as they die, and at home, the details are immaterial. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Been meaning to post this for a few days but kept waiting to see if she and her husband took a turn for the worst. They are friends of a friend who live in the Longview area and all she does is peddle MAGA and anti-vax shit on social media all day. 

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/post/heidi-heubel-hitt-50-realtor-qanon-anti-vaxxer-hospitalized-with-covid

What is it with the realty business that attracts all the fucking nuts?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Burt said:

What is it with the realty business that attracts all the fucking nuts?

Perhaps because that line of work is very dependent upon Facebook and other computer apps where they are microtargeted and thus easily reached by propaganda? That couldn't be all it is, but it's well known that micro-targeting has been a big thing, and was admitted to under testimony IIRC.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Realty is like law enforcement. They’re your limited career options when you’re unhireable in legitimate professions.

Plus they can get in Instagram and post "Women in Real Estate" pictures. They love doing that shit.

I used to work for a company that sold a software product for CRE. The owner used to remind us that we are working with C students (at best) so we needed to explain everything slowly and simply.

In short - they are morons.

Not quite sure on this one but when the simple math appears to add up...

A teacher at our elementary school's wife (also a teacher at a different school) collapsed during class on Friday with a brain aneurysm.  She was taken off life support Sunday.

I know nothing about the deceased but her surviving husband is an adamant anti-vaxxer, anti-masker, MAGAtard.  We'd heard through the grapevine that during a teacher workshop before school started, he refused to wear a mask indoors and went around fake coughing on the masked teachers just to freak them out.  He tested positive for COVID a day later and missed the first week of school. Luckily, no other teacher tested positive.  Anyway, fast forward a few weeks and his healthy 44YO wife dies of one of the side effects that has killed a decent portion of COVID patients.  Not saying it was COVID, but it was COVID.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Not quite sure on this one but when the simple math appears to add up...

A teacher at our elementary school's wife (also a teacher at a different school) collapsed during class on Friday with a brain aneurysm.  

RIP to your school's wife.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Realty is like law enforcement. They’re your limited career options when you’re unhireable in legitimate professions.

Yep.  There are some legitimately great realtors out there, but realty strongly attracts wanna-be entrepreneurs who can’t muster the balls or capital to start a business.  Many of them are people who want to get rich and feel entitled to be their own boss, even though they really have nothing to bring to the table other than their I-must-be-my-own-boss entitlement.  It’s no surprise they are Freedum all the way.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Yep.  There are some legitimately great realtors out there, but realty strongly attracts wanna-be entrepreneurs who can’t muster the balls or capital to start a business.  Many of them are people who want to get rich and feel entitled to be their own boss, even though they really have nothing to bring to the table other than their I-must-be-my-own-boss entitlement.  It’s no surprise they are Freedum all the way.  

I see a lot of Mrs Rojo's mommy group friends who were MLM flavor of the month "entrepreneurs" 5 years ago are all real estate agents now.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I see a lot of Mrs Rojo's mommy group friends who were MLM flavor of the month "entrepreneurs" 5 years ago are all real estate agents now.  

Yep, Realtor is the next evolutionary step for that entitled be-my-own-boss crowd when they realize they aren’t getting rich selling Amway or essential oils to their friends and family 

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Anyway, fast forward a few weeks and his healthy 44YO wife dies of one of the side effects that has killed a decent portion of COVID patients.  Not saying it was COVID, but it was COVID.

Wait, what?

Covid causes clotting strokes, not aneurysm strokes.

3 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Is there a difference other than location? I assumed it was basically the same thing.

Well, it's been a long time since my neuro rotation, but I assume a clotting stroke is when a clot blocks blood flow, and an aneurysm is when a blood vessel ruptures.  Both lead to diminished blood flow to the brain, and voila! stroke time.

Maybe somebody who paid attention in med school can elaborate.

Oh yeah, I forgot.  I didn't go to med school.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, it's been a long time since my neuro rotation, but I assume a clotting stroke is when a clot blocks blood flow, and an aneurysm is when a blood vessel ruptures.  Both lead to diminished blood flow to the brain, and voila! stroke time.

Maybe somebody who paid attention in med school can elaborate.

Oh yeah, I forgot.  I didn't go to med school.

Wait, Whuh?  (wipes frothy paste from corners of mouth), I've been taking my Covid-19 advice from for the last 18 months.  And now my butt itches. 

14 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Is there a difference other than location? I assumed it was basically the same thing.

I've had a bleed stroke, and when I was trying to get out of working in the office, I saw that one of the ADA risk categories was for cerebro-vascular disease, which I found included strokes.  So I took the ADA form to my doctor and asked him to sign it.  He said, "I'll sign it because I think everyone should be allowed to work at home, but you have nothing to worry about because Covid causes strokes through clotting, and you're at risk of 'bleeds.'"  

So yeah, an aneurysm is not a side effect of Covid.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1