COVID FAFO Roll Call

MaybeACoordinator

18 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

St. Francis of Assisi was the first. 

spacer.png

I don’t care what-a-you say, he was no-a-sissy!

ed.  There used to and may still be a great October pilgrimage honoring St Francis in Real de Catorce, carrying him around town streets on a throne in effigy, firework passion plays on the church steps. Good stuff.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/1/2021 at 11:21 AM, Dahobbs said:

Unfortunately, the vaccines aren't that great at preventing one from catching the delta variant. It does however prevent the illness from being severe.  So, maybe give your employees a little bit of a break. 

Vaccines coupled with all of the recommended mitigation measures are as good as we’ve got. If only more people would bother to care.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

This is more infuriating than most of these. At least most people stop posting dumb shit once their loved one is in the hospital. Not this fucking guy.  How broken can your brain be to post shit like this while your kid is on the verge of death in the hospital?  

MAGA crowd can't be wrong.  If they are wrong, that means Trump was wrong.

That's why so many these people that we personally know act so out-of-character - in the past they'd change opinions when no information came to light, but Trump has locked them into this notion that once they decide on something, they can't change their mind, else it means that they are wrong.

Identify politics and all of that.  And the crazy thing is that they are so locked into this mindset, not even Trump can get them to change their minds (see his vaccine comments at the cow pasture).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The pandemic combined with social media has allowed thousands of people to publish their daily thoughts as they are slowly dying -- what they are seeing, feeling, and thinking. It's terrifying.

We have the technology, and right now we need a large percentage of this country to push back against this virus. You push by taking a free and safe vaccine. If you're on the fence please do it. This could all be over.

2 hours ago, Bookman said:

I can't go to the Herman Cain Awards thread any more. All that needless death. It's so fucking sad.

To me it’s just a more consequential version of the /holdmybeer, /holdmycosmI and /winstupidprizes.

I guess you could say we all do stupid things at times like eating poorly, not exercising or smoking.

But given there is a scientifically proven vaccine that can quickly prevent death against a highly contagious disease, it’s their own damn fault. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Superhero said:

But given there is a scientifically proven vaccine that can quickly prevent death against a highly contagious disease, it’s their own damn fault. 

No doubt.

I have a friend who's a pro-Trump antivaxxer. Her dad was vaxxed and her mom was not, and they both came down with covid. Fortunately they both survived but her dad is going to have lingering issues.

Maybe her dad only survived because of the vaccine. Maybe if her mom had been vaccinated they never would've gotten sick. But to my friend, this is all evidence that the vaccine is useless.

A San Antonio man was sentenced to over a year in prison for an unsettling COVID-19 hoax.

Christopher Charles Perez, also known as Christopher Robbins, was sentenced to 15 months in prison for spreading a COVID hoax in April 2020, according to a news release. 

Perez posted to Facebook that he paid someone infected with COVID-19 to lick grocery store items to scare people away from San Antonio stores. 

Someone sent a screenshot of the post to the Southwest Texas Infusion Center, which then forwarded the post to the FBI office in San Antonio. 

The FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force, along with Weapons of Mass Destruction personnel, conducted this investigation. Investigators questioned Perez who admitted that he did not pay someone to lick grocery store items.

"Trying to scare people with the threat of spreading dangerous diseases is no joking matter,” says U.S. Attorney Ashley C. Hoff in the news release. 

Perez will also pay a $1,000 fine. 

That awkward moment in the prison shower when they learn you were arrested by the the FBI's "Weapons of Mass Destruction" unit for licking things.

On 10/4/2021 at 7:30 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

All those Go Fund Me pages.....

Not sure what they need gofundme for.  Surely they have health insurance right?  All you have to do is hit a deductible and out of pocket limit then it’s all 100% covered.  And surely these smart hard working Americans have 10k in an emergency fund to cover it.  And I’m sure these smart hard working Americans have life insurance, I mean it’s so cheap as long as you are not over weight not a smoker and not a heavy drinker!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, he's got a new handle. It starts with an S, I forget what it is, however. 

Edit: This guy:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/profile/6456-satoshi/

how deranged does one have to be to get banned from a community more than five times and still want to keep coming back...making up new emails and registering new handles over and over in order to it all again.

that is so weird to me.

I got a really bad case of poison ivy this week, bad enough that I need steroids for the swelling. I hesitated before going to the doctor, though, based on their overload due to COVID. Long story short, everyone else who needs healthcare would be better off if these antivax nutjobs would just politely die on their own sofas without bothering the medical professionals whose advice they are ignoring.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

how deranged does one have to be to get banned from a community more than five times and still want to keep coming back...making up new emails and registering new handles over and over in order to it all again.

that is so weird to me.

I differ from many folks in the idea he's some paid guy. He's active on the recruiting forum, and not in some casual know-nothing-about-texas-football way. I think this board is part of his personal identity (like it is to many of us). It just so happens that part of his identity is also trolling the cloak room...or he is a true zealot. We all can wear many hats. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I differ from many folks in the idea he's some paid guy. He's active on the recruiting forum, and not in some casual know-nothing-about-texas-football way. I think this board is part of his personal identity (like it is to many of us). It just so happens that part of his identity is also trolling the cloak room...or he is a true zealot. We all can wear many hats. 

i don't think this guy is a paid troll at all.  that is very clear.  only one of those i could plausibly see at this point is lmao/fozz/dsa.

that is what makes it so weird to me.  i just can't imagine my personal identity being tied to a community that consistently demonstrates that they very much don't want you to be a part of the community and continually running back to it like a pathetic, beaten dog.

1 minute ago, sidis said:

i don't think this guy is a paid troll at all.  that is very clear.  only one of those i could plausibly see at this point is lmao/fozz/dsa.

that is what makes it so weird to me.  i just can't imagine my personal identity being tied to a community that consistently demonstrates that they very much don't want you to be a part of the community and continually running back to it like a pathetic, beaten dog.

Cognitive Dissonance is the most powerful force in the Universe, my man. Plus, I'm sure he segments it in his brain as this community that keeps kicking him are the crazies, mean ole' cloak room. He's just a good guy doing God's work for 'murica. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Cognitive Dissonance is the most powerful force in the Universe, my man. Plus, I'm sure he segments it in his brain as this community that keeps kicking him are the crazies, mean ole' cloak room. He's just a good guy doing God's work for 'murica. 

There are plenty of posters who frequent the DT forum who don't seem to mind having him around.

26 minutes ago, sidis said:

only one of those i could plausibly see at this point is lmao/fozz/dsa

No, he's not some paid operative either.  I am not quite entirely convinced fozz and lmao are the same person, as fozz would rove the other boards too, and was very knowledgable about the UT program and cfb in general. You might not have agreed with his takes their either, but they were informed by knowledge of the sport. 

I have always laughed at the idea of people paid to post on niche forums like shaggy/surly. while I'm sure there is some of that on larger national platforms, the ROI just cant be there for a site like this one. Especially when this country is full of stupid people that gladly regurgitate that shit for free. yeah, i get that the comment sections of sites like Yahoo are crawling with bots with their one sentence spam posts, but most of the people that get called out on this site for being paid trolls  just like trolling for free. 

The Biden ticket received 51% of the vote, meaning there are a lot of people in this country that disgree on all things politics. anyone that spends months/years on this site and posts on other forums isnt going to be a paid troll. Just accept that there are people that think your viewpoint is as every bit as stupid as you view theirs. 

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I have always laughed at the idea of people paid to post on niche forums like shaggy/surly. while I'm sure there is some of that on larger national platforms, the ROI just cant be there for a site like this one. Especially when this country is full of stupid people that gladly regurgitate that shit for free. yeah, i get that the comment sections of sites like Yahoo are crawling with bots with their one sentence spam posts, but most of the people that get called out on this site for being paid trolls  just like trolling for free. 

The Biden ticket received 51% of the vote, meaning there are a lot of people in this country that disgree on all things politics. anyone that spends months/years on this site and posts on other forums isnt going to be a paid troll. Just accept that there are people that think your viewpoint is as every bit as stupid as you view theirs. 

The one I'm almost certain was paid was that TCU fan who spammed the board a few years back during either the 2018 or 2016 campaigns. It was incessant barrage of copypasta, most of the time not even relevant to ongoing topics or conversations.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 10/1/2021 at 10:36 PM, Lobo said:

I thought they didn't sever them, just drove a spike through them.  That's why suicide attempts where they go perpendicular to the arm don't succeed, the ones that slash up from wrist to elbow pit...those are the ones that bleed out in minutes.  And that crucifix victims, their body weight couldn't be supported by spikes through the hands, the flesh would just rip and they'd fall to the ground.  So they went between the two bones in the wrist and that acted like a hanger.  I dunno, I'm sure my knowledge of 2000 year old crucifixion practices are about as strong as the bio-chemistry knowledge of most horse-paste users.

Rope was usually used. Spikes were for special occasions like starting a new cult.

• Haha 1

Seems like a weird way to start a cult. I’d go with drunken orgy and chanting before I got into any bodily mutilation.

but that’s the Romans trying to out do the Greeks for you

Edited by Lobo

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand due to the allure of recruiting angry disaffected young males or gaining followers to an agenda against specific targets on campuses. For example, the Leadership Institute ($16 million in revenue in 2018 and funded partially with Koch money) oversees Campus Reform. Campus reform has a tiered reimbursement system for articles- one article $50, with photo or video that rises to $100. Four articles published and you rise to $75 per and fifteen eventually earns you $100 per article. Those students who sit in class and look for opportunities to take content and then selectively edit said content then enable a coordinated attack to spread nationwide. Do an internet search for Tommy J Curry and read the Snopes article, the article in the Chronicle or the Guardian. That incident was not specifically Campus Reform as it was an article in The American Conservative, but it is in the same spirit and for less sunk cost for the organization. For a hundred dollars a pop, they can sift through submitted entries til they find the ones they think will resonate with the outrage machine nationwide. In the case of The American Conservative (who didn't happen to use students), it ended up with a huge following on their message board and the professor left the country for his personal safety.

I think that type is far outnumbered by the people you describe in your second paragraph, but there is a benefit to trolling with humans over bots that is underappreciated.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

That awkward moment in the prison shower when they learn you were arrested by the the FBI's "Weapons of Mass Destruction" unit for licking things.

I despise prison rape joke because the reality is too horrifying and such a bad reflection on us all.

But, if a joke is funny, go for the joke. 

Bravo!

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I despise prison rape joke because the reality is too horrifying and such a bad reflection on us all.

But, if a joke is funny, go for the joke. 

Bravo!

Yeah In real life, it’s horrible if not much rarer than most think.  We had to pay protection money for a relative in a federal facility while back for a connected friend of the family.  

it wouldn’t have even occurred to my sickie head to make the wisecrack about this grocery licker from San Antonio but I mean “weapons of mass destruction” personnel were in on the collar?   Even jay Leno would have to do something with that premise/setup.  

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The one I'm almost certain was paid was that TCU fan who spammed the board a few years back during either the 2018 or 2016 campaigns. It was incessant barrage of copypasta, most of the time not even relevant to ongoing topics or conversations.

Its possible I guess, but every time I notice that accusation on this site, it never seems likely to me. We're just a dysfunctional country with millions upon millions of morons. Its mind blowing to me that we've had probably 200K deaths in this country from covid since the vaccine has been widely available. all because fucking idiots decide to trust fox news and the GOP over the scientific and medical establishments.  and many of these stupid fucks spent all summer on social media tooling on Fauci and vaccines(for free), literally dying to prove Tucker Carlson's stupid fucking points. we are an idiocracy.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Not sure what they need gofundme for.  Surely they have health insurance right?  All you have to do is hit a deductible and out of pocket limit then it’s all 100% covered.  And surely these smart hard working Americans have 10k in an emergency fund to cover it.  And I’m sure these smart hard working Americans have life insurance, I mean it’s so cheap as long as you are not over weight not a smoker and not a heavy drinker!

Trump said health insurance only costs $12/year, lib.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

They're dead, Jim.  They don't need health insurance anymore.

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

This is so fucked up.

He was one of Sam Giancana’s sons in law.  His own blood family and other “family”, nobody stepped up to help.  Everyone knew lots of guys from other crews would wanna take a swing at him, or worse, much worse.  So for years, my father and one of my uncles-his childhood friends, bribed guards and sent gifts to inmates.  Jimmy T remained unharmed for decades in there.  My Dad died and uncle lost interest, by then Jimmy was moved to a facility for older guys and released.  I helped out when I could.  He died just a few years back.  RIP

my dad used to say that prison movie trope about kicking a big guys ass on the first day is important.  It’s all bullshit.  But they find out you were with Giancana, they’ll take out on you what they could never do to him.  Same goes with Latino gangs, black gangs, cartels, et Al.  Real fun shit to hear when you’re freakin 8 years old.  

Edited by Lobo

Yeah In real life, it’s horrible if not much rarer than most think.  We had to pay protection money for a relative in a federal facility while back for a connected friend of the family.  

You didn’t have to unless he had incriminating evidence implicating you.

At best I would’ve mailed his dumbass some astroglide.

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

They got rid of their health insurance to own the libs back during the Obama times, so no.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Steele, who has been with the network for about 15 years, made a series of controversial remarks during an appearance on former NFL quarterback Jay Cutler‘s podcast “Uncut with Jay Cutler,” where she shared her thoughts on her company’s vaccine mandate, sexism in the sports journalism industry and questioned former President Obama’s ethnicity. 

Discussing how Obama selected "Black" as his ethnicity on the census, she said: “I’m like, ‘Well, congratulations to the president. That’s his thing.’ I think that’s fascinating considering his Black dad was nowhere to be found, but his White mom and grandma raised him, but hey, you do you. I’m going to do me."

Steele also said she has rejected requests for mentoring from aspiring female sports reporters who present themselves in what she sees as an overly sexualized manner.

“So when you dress like that, I'm not saying you deserve the gross comments, but you know what you're doing when you're putting that outfit on, too,” Steele said. “Like, women are smart, so don't play coy and put it all on the guys.”

Lot's to unpack here. She's having quite a day.