This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

This is crazy. We’re in the CFB playoff and people are like, yeah but can he do it 2 years in a row?

Well he better with the talent on the roster considering there are 12 teams in it from now on. 

Also, holy crap the world changes next year. In 2024 in order to be where we are now if you finish outside the top 4 you would have had to win two playoff games. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not tomorrow . . . rather that he'll be hard to keep long term.  No links, just social media, a couple of talking heads, etc.  I'm not supporting the idea.

Yeah, that's just wishcasting from people that don't want to see Texas succeed. 

Like dago said, same shit with Arch. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

You used to go to the NFL because they paid substantially more.  That is no longer the case.

Yeah, I'm not sure any of these guys are really doing it for the $ once you get to $10m+/yr.  Maybe ego if you aren't making more than the next guy.  But NFL clearly appeals to some of these guys who have their choice.  Sark seems to really like the relationship/teacher aspect of college, but I'm just guessing that based on his public statements.  

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

I'm really confused why everyone thinks giving him a big raise is going full aggy/Jimbo.

Jimbo got a huge contract and his trajectory was:

9 wins -> 8 wins -> 9 wins (COVID year) -> 8 wins -> 5 wins -> 6 wins before being fired

Sark started a low salary and his trajectory has been:

5 wins -> 8 wins -> 12 wins + Big 12 title + CFP berth

He deserves a big fucking raise and all the contract incentive bonuses he should have in there for winning the conference and making the CFP. 

This right here. Jimbo, much to the entertainment of Longhorns abound, fleeced aggy for 90 while still churning out the same 8-4 average they always have. One could argue Sark has vasty outperformed his contract when you look at the median. Man deserves to be paid. Give him a 4 yr but at the top of the market and reevaluate then. Most importantly, pay Get in The Mother Fucker, and all the other assistants who matter so we can keep the train going. Make sure the only way those guys get paid more elsewhere is for a HC job. High pay but keep it around 4 years. That way we can afford the buyout if anyone goes south.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Atticus said:

This. We'll be fortunate to get him under $10m, especially if we win the title.

At the same time, you don't want to make it easy for someone else to come take him. Keep him and his people happy.

Agree but: here's The royal "we"  again.......as if "we" are footing the bill.....

Edited by El Squared

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not tomorrow . . . rather that he'll be hard to keep long term.  No links, just social media, a couple of talking heads, etc.  I'm not supporting the idea.

10 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Same people who talk about Arch transferring?

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yeah, that's just wishcasting from people that don't want to see Texas succeed. 

Like dago said, same shit with Arch. 

I’m stunned, I’m pissed, it’s Mike Farrell

• Rage+1 1

If Texas does win a title this year, we shouldn't give Sark anything because Texas will still suck and we just got lucky this year.  At least that's what the folks over on Texags are saying...  They are already mentally conditioning themselves for a very long aggy winter.  It's coming.  

Why Is Winter Coming in Game of Thrones? | POPSUGAR Entertainment

Top 5 money is for sustained success.   Sark has done it a total of once.  

No it’s not. We are Texas. We have a coach that is by far our preferred choice to hold the job. We will pay the amount that goes with that reality.

Again, if you’re in charge, do you let him walk if he wants $9M/year and not a penny less? Then what?
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

Got us to the 4 team playoff in year 3. Pay the man. 

Yeah, come on. 10 years of the CFP and Sark got us in it in his third year. We were never in the convo under Strong and our highest ranking under Tom was 13 or 14

If it was so easy, why is this the first time? Pay that man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

All the compensation talk... here are details:

Sark is in 3rd year of a 6yr contract currently making a salary of $5.6 million --  ranks him 30th for P5 Head Coaches as of Oct. 2023.  Top 10 coaches already make $9mil/yr so SARK will soon get his contract reworked and get PAID. 

View list of P5 Coach Salaries here.

SARK's current contract salary schedule:

2021-$5.2mil, 2022-$5.4mil, 2023-$5.6mil, 2024- $5.8mil, 2025- $6mil, 2026- $6.2mil

And perks:

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'm also super impressed with Sark and his staff's ability to identify talent. They just know how to go and get football players. NIL helps and we've started swinging the big recruits in our direction. But damn, having multiple freshman contributing to this run is fucking sweet. 

Chris Petersen's UW CFP team was largely Sark's recruits as upperclassmen.

• Hook 'Em 1

Chris Petersen's UW CFP team was largely Sark's recruits as upperclassmen.

There are a shitload of upperclassmen brought in by Herman contributing on this team, including most of the LOS which has really made the difference. That’s just how it goes in CFB.

Sark has absolutely done a great job putting together a staff that could maximize what was there and turning over the roster to get his guys in, though.

If I’m the AD I’m not necessarily rushing to negotiate against myself and extend him with three years left on his deal after this one. You are getting a relative bargain at this point, might as well see what this looks like next year. But a conference championship, especially one this meaningful, and CFP appearance is rare air as a college HC. If Sark wants to extend he’s earned a top 10-15 salary in line with that, no questions asked.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

All the compensation talk... here are details:

Sark is in 3rd year of a 6yr contract currently making a salary of $5.6 million --  ranks him 30th for P5 Head Coaches as of Oct. 2023.  Top 10 coaches already make $9mil/yr so SARK will soon get his contract reworked and get PAID. 

View list of P5 Coach Salaries here.

SARK's current contract salary schedule:

2021-$5.2mil, 2022-$5.4mil, 2023-$5.6mil, 2024- $5.8mil, 2025- $6mil, 2026- $6.2mil

And perks:

make-it-rain-icegif-2.gif.b3b455ed2a6be0e33295447f02c82d17.gif

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ajax said:

How many people would have preferred guys like Dave Aranda or Sonny Dykes over Sark? Sark had to completely rebuild our program from the foundation up and for that he went 5-7 instead of winning immediately like the former two.

Hell, I remember people giving love to Sam Pittman. Maybe not here but nationally. None of those guys can carry Sark's jock.

I never ever wanted Sonny Dykes anywhere near Texas. Hell, I'm certain SMU wouldn't trade Lashlee back for Sonny today. Aranda impressed in Year 1 -- and has proven to be pretty shitty when he has to get and coach his own players.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sark is a legit good guy who loves his team and is dedicated to excellence. Does he turn into Mack Brown, who turned a $475K/year job into a $5 million/year job with several natty championship caliber teams - '01, 04, '05, '08, '09 - and then shits the bed? Maybe... money rounds out the edges in all of us. But for now, what he's accomplished, what he intends to accomplish over the next 5 years... pay the man and let's move on.

Texas' endowment is $42.67 billion (as of 2022) only behind Haaarvad at $49.44. 

Pay the man, within reason, and let's enjoy the next 5 years of dominance...  and aggy, land thieves, and porker's tears. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

image.png.819eef8ff0cc8a543a0949f30854e205.png

THIS IS THE MARKET FOR COACHES.....ESPECIALLY IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THEM. 

All other talk is bullshit and fodder.

Like I said 9.2 - 9.75 seems to be about right in terms of pay.

Fuck that. There’s exactly 2 guys on that list might take over Sark right now. Might.

Don’t be fucking stingy.

You have to pay the market rate or the market will correct it for you.  It’s why most coaches get a raise after a great year.  We got a bargain at the beginning with Sarkisian because he was toting some baggage.  Del Conte has said before that the program is evaluated after the season is over.  So far it’s mostly been a fun season, so we’ll see how it goes.  I wouldn’t trade Sark for Lane Kiffin.  So there’s your market. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Any extension given this season will be 4 years it’s that simple. I posted top 15 salaries earlier. He needs to make more than Kiffin full stop. 9.25-9.75 seems ideal with bonuses for performance that can get him to 10.5-11.5 million.

Sark so far has been our best coach outside of Mack since Akers. 

In years, he's ahead of Mack by a lot. 

Mack made it so he can get there, though. 

14 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

You have to pay the market rate or the market will correct it for you.  It’s why most coaches get a raise after a great year.  We got a bargain at the beginning with Sarkisian because he was toting some baggage.  Del Conte has said before that the program is evaluated after the season is over.  So far it’s mostly been a fun season, so we’ll see how it goes.  I wouldn’t trade Sark for Lane Kiffin.  So there’s your market. 

Yep.  I say make him the 8th highest paid or even better given timing.   He is not more accomplished than Kelly yet though 

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I think it's clear the AD's office needs to appoint an ad hoc committee of surly members to negotiate Sark's raise/extension. We have what it takes, and it's really the only path forward.  

Surly would keep bidding against itself and end up offering $20MM without Sark's agent even unmuting on the zoom call because We're Texas™️

• Haha 4

There are a shitload of upperclassmen brought in by Herman contributing on this team, including most of the LOS which has really made the difference. That’s just how it goes in CFB.

Sark has absolutely done a great job putting together a staff that could maximize what was there and turning over the roster to get his guys in, though.

If I’m the AD I’m not necessarily rushing to negotiate against myself and extend him with three years left on his deal after this one. You are getting a relative bargain at this point, might as well see what this looks like next year. But a conference championship, especially one this meaningful, and CFP appearance is rare air as a college HC. If Sark wants to extend he’s earned a top 10-15 salary in line with that, no questions asked.

You leave the “bargain contract” talk to Billy luicci and those texum Aggies. They know Maseratis and stuff.
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Surly would keep bidding against itself and end up offering $20MM without Sark's agent even unmuting on the zoom call because We're Texas™️

Jesus, these posts, it's like walking into Texags.

Give the man a raise for several more years but keep the man hungry.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

he looks 10 years younger to me, just three years ago. This job wears on you. 

no cloak room, but I remember how Obama aged in office.  Maybe it's crazy to compare a football coach to POTUS, but both are high-pressure jobs. One just has greater consequences than the other.  The other pays much better.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

no cloak room, but I remember how Obama aged in office.  Maybe it's crazy to compare a football coach to POTUS, but both are high-pressure jobs. One just has greater consequences than the other.  The other pays much better.  

There’s some pics of Bush jr and Mack brown that will show the same

• Hook 'Em 3

Sark 2023 Report Card
A+ 15-0 National Champions or 14-1 Title Loser
A   13-1 or 12-2 Big 12 Title, Playoff Loser
A-  13-1 or 12-2 Big 12 Title Loser, Major Bowl Winner
B   11-3 Big 12 Title Loser, Bowl Winner
C 10-4 Big 12 Title loser, Bowl Winner 
D 9-4
F 8-5 or worse

Needs revision for 14-1 title winner

I was disappointed after 5-7, feeling that bowl eligibility had been possible, if Sark had made a couple different decisions. In retrospect, I have to admit to being wrong; since his decisions put us on this arc where we are in the playoffs in year3.  

List of coaches who turned things around in two years:

Stoops

Carroll

Meyer x 2

Tressel

Helfrich

Saban took three years to get to theBCS title game. 

Most of the above coaches inherited better talent on their rosters. 

I don’t know that we’re going that far this year, but we’re in the playoffs and this team’s success (unlike 2004-2009 Texas teams) isn’t based on the QB carrying the team. The foundation of this team looks very solid. 

Arguably, Sark is outperforming early years Mack. Can anyone make a counter argument?

I suspect that if Texas doesn’t want to pay him market salary, there are other programs that happily will. 

Edited by statsman
  • Like 1

Even when I was in the doubter camp, I was adamant we were not going to be able to hire another coach better than Sark. Now that he's won the conference and got us into the CFP, he deserves a raise to show our gratitude at the very least. 

If he does something similar next year, he deserves a mega deal.

• Hook 'Em 1