Texas BBQ

Washpark

Stopped by The Pit Room in Houston yesterday before heading home from a soccer game.  Brisket, pork ribs, jalapeno/cheese sausage, mac & cheese, sauteed okra.  Brisket and ribs were perfectly seasoned and smoked.  Sausage was uneventful.  Sauteed okra was great - probably my second favorite non-traditional side behind the carrot souffle at Tejas.

They had Waygu Beef ribs available and the couple ahead of us in line each got one.  At $35 a pound, they spend over $50 per rib.  Give me a break.

We liked the place last summer when we were covering the TM Top 50 (our favorite of the joints in Houston that made the list) and we were happy to be close enough to stop by yesterday.  Would recommend.

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Stopped by The Pit Room in Houston yesterday before heading home from a soccer game.  Brisket, pork ribs, jalapeno/cheese sausage, mac & cheese, sauteed okra.  Brisket and ribs were perfectly seasoned and smoked.  Sausage was uneventful.  Sauteed okra was great - probably my second favorite non-traditional side behind the carrot souffle at Tejas.

They had Waygu Beef ribs available and the couple ahead of us in line each got one.  At $35 a pound, they spend over $50 per rib.  Give me a break.

We liked the place last summer when we were covering the TM Top 50 (our favorite of the joints in Houston that made the list) and we were happy to be close enough to stop by yesterday.  Would recommend.

I'm not paying $35/lb for meat with a huge ass bone in it

Edited by immortal13
No homo

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

My brother came in town and we went to Blacks on Guadalupe. It was close. It is Monday and most everything is closed. I had never been. 

Sausage was good. Brisket was meh. Cole Slaw was gross. 

Very Disappointed

Their sides are bad at that Blacks, for sure.  I think it's a solid 60% as good as the original.  Last time I ate their, meat was mediocre, sides sucked, and didn't really give me a desire to return.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:07 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Also a terrible photo, can’t even tell there is a pound and a half of brisket on the tray. And yes fucktards, there are tortillas in the foil.

O04s0rtW_o.jpeg

That's all delicious stuff but when I go to Valentina's I can't bring myself to order the same BBQ you can get other places (even though it's outstanding).  I forget which day of the week they do fideo but it's the tits.  My favorite though is the ACP Taco (Arroz con Pollo).  Rice, chicken fajita, gangsta salsa, on a homemade tortilla.  But whatever I get I always add a slice of brisket on the side.  

Went to Micklethwait a few weeks ago on a rainy sunday (so no line). I was wondering if the rain would do anything to the wood/smoke or if it's generally not a good idea to go on a bad weather day, but that brisket/tex-czch sausage/pulled lamb plate was great. I've lived within a mile from it for about 3 years now and finally pulled the trigger to try it out. I'm a fan. Sausage was the least impressive (but still above average).

Was in Amarillo for work in August and tried Tyler's, which is a mainstay on the TM top 50 and seemed to be the consensus pick for best in town. Most of it was good but nothing terribly special, except for the ribs. Oh my God the ribs. So good, possibly the best I've ever had. Definitely recommend if you ever did yourself up there. No beer though.

Tried Mickelthwait for the first time this past weekend. Barely any wait on a Saturday around 12 and the free beer is a huge plus. Really enjoyed the sausage and brisket, pork shoulder was okay. Buddy got the pulled lamb and it was very distinct, I wantb to go back to get my my own portion. A worthy option as opposed to hours in line down the street at Franklin.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Went to Stiles Switch for lunch today and it's been steadily improving for several years, but today the brisket and pork ribs were even better than before.  Really, really good stuff.  Line was about 20 minutes though, so it won't be long before the hipsters descend on the joint.

32 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Went to Stiles Switch for lunch today and it's been steadily improving for several years, but today the brisket and pork ribs were even better than before.  Really, really good stuff.  Line was about 20 minutes though, so it won't be long before the hipsters descend on the joint.

I accidentally posted in Bucks thread because bourbon, but went there a couple times recently and the brisket is definitely better than it used to be. I don’t know what they did, but it worked. Always had great pork ribs. 

Yeah, I saw that posting, and champ's subsequent admonishment.  Can't ever be too careful around THAT one. :)

I've always liked the flavor on their pork ribs, but not always the cook.  Last several times including this one though, the cook was perfect.  Brisket has been improving steadily over the years, but now I think they have a (relatively) new pitmaster that came over from Franklin.  Someone  probably mentioned on this very thread a few pages back, but I'm too lazy to go back and look it up.

Oh, and I've ALWAYS liked their beef ribs.  Never had a bad one there, great flavor and cook every time.  But sometimes, like today, I choose not to spend $25-$35 on a rib.  The brisket and pork ribs were AOK.

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I accidentally posted in Bucks thread because bourbon, but went there a couple times recently and the brisket is definitely better than it used to be. I don’t know what they did, but it worked. Always had great pork ribs. 

Braun (ex-Franklin) started in July.

They also went heavy with some new Moberg smokers in August.

Braun (ex-Franklin) started in July.
They also went heavy with some new Moberg smokers in August.

Stiles has Braun Hughes, Chris McGhee, Marco Oglesby, and Bill Dumas in their pit room. And they bought an armada of pits from Moberg. So....yeah, their product oughta be pretty fucking good now

Stiles has Braun Hughes, Chris McGhee, Marco Oglesby, and Bill Dumas in their pit room. And they bought an armada of pits from Moberg. So....yeah, their product oughta be pretty fucking good now

You name dropping cooks is hilarious. You and bottlecap should team up for a newsletter.

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

what the fuck is the finish on that thing.  i want to dry hump it. 

It looks like he took a 3m Scotch Bright pad on a grinder to it. I’m sure he sealed it with some sort of clear sealant to keep it clean and bright.

its a damn good looking smoker, I love that raw metal look.

Just now, RMac5 said:

It looks like he took a 3m Scotch Bright pad on a grinder to it. I’m sure he sealed it with some sort of clear sealant to keep it clean and bright.

its a damn good looking smoker, I love that raw metal look.

it looks like a damascus steel smoker. 

On 10/6/2018 at 5:52 PM, michael78747 said:

You did list four names in your post. What would you call that? You can cook, but I question your IQ.

You called out a well respected poster on this board with 8 whole posts. Whose IQ is in question? 

Edited by IDIOTsavant