2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

38 minutes ago, Deej said:

If the birds are any indication, shit is about to get real. I usually have 5-10 at the feeders at any given time. There's 50 plus out there at the moment fighting for food. Blue Jay's, cardinals, woodpeckers, finches, doves, grackles...you name it. I guess they are filling up beforehand. 

Maybe it's their cheep day.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, I grabbed a takeout lunch at the downtown Whole Foods.  The scene wasn't too bad.  There were people shopping, but not a madhouse, and plenty of vegan organic holistic sustainably sourced ethical chil fixins and such on the shelves.

That sustainably harvested cumin really sets off a bowl of red.  

• Haha 1

Circle C HEB...

These Stores Won't Open Their Doors On Thanksgiving Day

I've been told the Oak Hill one is much calmer.  I opted for the Brodie Randall's since its usually sleepy.  It wasn't quiet but compared to what I've seen about Escarpment, totally chill. Store shelves looked reasonable.  Average customer age hovering around 72 years old, as expected.

Meanwhile in Westlake

Join the GIF Battle! - Page 311 — King Community

Edited by texasdago

3 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Circle C HEB...

These Stores Won't Open Their Doors On Thanksgiving Day

I've been told the Oak Hill one is much calmer.  I opted for the Brodie Randall's since its usually sleepy.  It wasn't quiet but compared to what I've seen about Escarpment, totally chill. Store shelves looked reasonable.  Average customer age hovering around 72 years old, as expected.

Meanwhile in Westlake

Join the GIF Battle! - Page 311 — King Community

Hit the Oak Hill HEB at 7 this am. It was a breeze. They were out if a lot of stuff, but I think they weren't done doing their restock.

Plenty of water and ass wipes, though.

6 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Hit the Oak Hill HEB at 7 this am. It was a breeze. They were out if a lot of stuff, but I think they weren't done doing their restock.

Plenty of water and ass wipes, though.

ass wipes not on sale.

Oak Hill much better at restocking.  Escarpment has pretty much been kicked to the curb since Oak Hill opened.

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, I grabbed a takeout lunch at the downtown Whole Foods.  The scene wasn't too bad.  There were people shopping, but not a madhouse, and plenty of vegan organic holistic sustainably sourced ethical chil fixins and such on the shelves.

But they were all out of recycled, organic toilet paper, I bet.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I was thinking the school districts would go virtual (at least Austin, since the kids all have devices), but if they aren't even doing that, it probably means they are guessing there will be plenty of power outages due to the ice.

TEA won't let Texas districts go virtual. It won't count as a school day for funding or instructional minutes if a district does it.

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Wait, does TEA count weather cancellations as school days for funding?

It's more about instructional minutes. Schools have to have a certain number of minutes in a year. If a district goes virtual for a day, those minutes do not count, according to TEA. 

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

30 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

A lot of districts have planned for extra minutes for the year so they won't need to make-up these days. If a district hasn't, they'll need to make-up these days in the future.

Yes, our district always has at least 2 days in the late spring designated as make-up days.  If there's no snow days, then those become days off later.  If snow days are used, then those days become school days.

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Picking the girls up from daycare.  Now 39 degrees and dumping rain in NW Waco.   Front is early, and stronger than anticipated.    

Supposed to be around 46 right now. Maybe we'll get lucky and get some snow on top of the ice?

Edited by SimonBolivar

10 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Maybe we'll get lucky and get some snow on top of the ice?

The thing that sucks about this storm is that it's really a fairly warm one. This cold layer from the front is very shallow, no more than a couple thousand feet. So the precip that forms aloft is rain, and the cold layer is so thin it might not even have time to freeze before it hits the ground (sleet), nor is frozen when it first forms in higher altitudes (snow). This stuff rains down the warm air until it hits the cold ground and then freezes.

If the cold layer deepens toward tomorrow there may be more sleet and even snow flurries before the storm moves out, as the middle atmosphere will get colder. But as much as I wish this were snow, the storm is too warm aloft to produce it, in any snow would be very light and fleeting as a storm really moves past us.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

• Hook 'Em 2

Ice line hitting Erath County in North Texas. (Stephenville). Ice extending to Denton and Sherman.

Mineral Wells and Granbury are about to transition to the freezing stuff.  Fort Worth up to Paris soon.  

Time to settle in for a warm winter’s nap up in the DFW Metroplex and “North Texas.” Watch out for tree limbs. 

From a Lubbock  message board, concerning travel:

I cannot Stress this enough if you do not have FULL COVERAGE insurance by a legitimate insurance agency please stay home.
Fred Loya don’t count for example.