Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

50 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I was never quite sure whether the epithet "Fightin' Texas aggy Band" referred "Fightin'" to the Band or to aggys in general.

Since it was not far from my house to the Rice Stadium, I saw several football games there, and at one of the Rice-a&M games, the aggy  band taunted the MOB with a chant of "What comes out of a Chinaman's ass? Rice! Rice! Rice!" to which the MOB replied "What comes out of a horse's ass? Little! Brown! aggys!" Not particularly clever, but apropos.

And the color brown is the only part that offended aggy

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Now this thread has devolved all the way into the intricacies of band technique and aggie deficiencies associated to them. Exhilarating. Folks better hide their wives and girlfriends from you guys at parties. Holy fucking shit. 

Are you new to the offseason?

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 11:10 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm not sure how this is germane to the thread, but in high school my friends and I were big into making movies.  We once made a stop-action movie featuring a halftime performance by raisins.

Depending on your age, you either are a thief or you got robbed.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/07/11/texas-a-m-kathleen-mcelroy-journalism/

When Texas A&M University announced last month that it had hired a director to revive its journalism school, it included the kind of fanfare usually reserved for college coaches and athletes.

The university set up maroon, silver and white balloons around a table outside its Academic Building for an official signing ceremony. It was there that Kathleen O. McElroy, a respected journalist with a long career, officially accepted the position to run the new program and teach as a tenured professor, pending approval from the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents.

McElroy, a 1981 Texas A&M graduate, was the director of the University of Texas at Austin’s School of Journalism between 2016 and 2022, where she is a tenured professor. Earlier, she spent 20 years in various editing roles at The New York Times until heading to UT-Austin to pursue her doctorate.

She has studied news media and race, with a focus on how to improve diversity and inclusion within newsrooms, and spent her career covering other areas like sports and obituaries. Her master's thesis focused on the obituaries of civil rights leaders. Now, she was excited to head back to her alma mater to build a brand new program there.

But in the last several weeks, McElroy told The Texas Tribune, the deal with Texas A&M fell apart.

In the days after the signing ceremony, she said, A&M employees told her an increasingly vocal network of constituents within the system were expressing issues with her experience at the Times and with her work on race and diversity in newsrooms, McElroy said.

Edited by bmbmd
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, bmbmd said:

When Texas A&M University announced last month that it had hired a director to revive its journalism school, it included the kind of fanfare usually reserved for college coaches and athletes.

The university set up maroon, silver and white balloons around a table outside its Academic Building for an official signing ceremony. It was there that Kathleen O. McElroy, a respected journalist with a long career, officially accepted the position to run the new program and teach as a tenured professor, pending approval from the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents.

McElroy, a 1981 Texas A&M graduate, was the director of the University of Texas at Austin’s School of Journalism between 2016 and 2022, where she is a tenured professor. Earlier, she spent 20 years in various editing roles at The New York Times until heading to UT-Austin to pursue her doctorate.

She has studied news media and race, with a focus on how to improve diversity and inclusion within newsrooms, and spent her career covering other areas like sports and obituaries. Her master's thesis focused on the obituaries of civil rights leaders. Now, she was excited to head back to her alma mater to build a brand new program there.

But in the last several weeks, McElroy told The Texas Tribune, the deal with Texas A&M fell apart.

In the days after the signing ceremony, she said, A&M employees told her an increasingly vocal network of constituents within the system were expressing issues with her experience at the Times and with her work on race and diversity in newsrooms, McElroy said.

Shocking.

2 hours ago, bmbmd said:

When I clicked and saw she was black... hahaha fuck how did they ever thing these fucking inbred pieces of shit were ever going to be OK with this?? lol

• Haha 1

You clearly have not been paying attention for at least a decade. To anything. 
Oh no, I'm well aware of aggy culture, but I thought since they've become a diploma mill it was mostly old army protecting confederate statues and such...not the administration when it comes to academics. This isn't a good look if they want to get their aggy school of propaganda off to a good start.

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

When I clicked and saw she was black... hahaha fuck how did they ever thing these fucking inbred pieces of shit were ever going to be OK with this?? lol

Oh if the lord would just give me control of a couple strategic nukes.

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

It’s an implied threat for ESPN and the members (like Alabama) who voted no to 9 conference games.

To their credit, aggy voted yes.

24 minutes ago, Deej said:

Bunch of chicken shits. They talk a big game but avoid it all costs. Oh well, IDGAF if they don't want to play us every year. AS long we play OU and Arky I'm happy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Bunch of chicken shits. They talk a big game but avoid it all costs. Oh well, IDGAF if they don't want to play us every year. AS long we play OU and Arky I'm happy. 

In an eight conference game schedule we would only play OU every year.

These would be the only annual matchups: UT/OU, aggy/LSU, pig/Mizzou, OleMiss/MSU, Bama/Barn, UF/UGA, TN/Vandy, SC/UK

4 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

In an eight conference game schedule we would only play OU every year.

These would be the only annual matchups: UT/OU, aggy/LSU, pig/Mizzou, OleMiss/MSU, Bama/Barn, UF/UGA, TN/Vandy, SC/UK

Lulz at LSU being stuck with those fucksticks as their "rival". I guess someone had to draw the short straw bus. 

28 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Then you copy and paste the relevant part here so that Kurt is not getting clicks.

Joe Biden Climate GIF by Election 2020

“…..the SEC commissioner told us he doesn’t necessarily see further expansion for the SEC and that the Texas-Texas A&M football series would be only every other year and not annual if the league sticks with the eight-game conference schedule that the athletic directors approved for 2024 when Texas and Oklahoma officially join. That would be very disappointing. The 7-1 model with only one permanent rival would allow for the annual blood war between the Longhorns and Sooners in the Cotton Bowl to continue every October, but the Horns and Aggies would play each other every other year as part of the rotation with the other 12 teams. “

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I fucking hate that school. My kids have two places they’re not allowed to consider — aggy and Baylor.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

23 hours ago, bmbmd said:

Coming here to post this. My family knows Kathleen through her work in the Moody College and we think quite highly of her and how she treated our daughter and family during her tenure as director of the J-School.  So ugly for aggy and completely typical. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

“…..the SEC commissioner told us he doesn’t necessarily see further expansion for the SEC and that the Texas-Texas A&M football series would be only every other year and not annual if the league sticks with the eight-game conference schedule that the athletic directors approved for 2024 when Texas and Oklahoma officially join. That would be very disappointing. 

This sucks

I can't believe ESPN won't pony up for additional SEC game inventory. The 9-game SEC schedule with 0u, aggy, and arky as protected rivals was the ticket. Furk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

This sucks

I can't believe ESPN won't pony up for additional SEC game inventory. The 9-game SEC schedule with 0u, aggy, and arky as protected rivals was the ticket. Furk

Disney got a new boss and he's slashing budgets including ESPN (Suzy K says hey, anybody got Namath's cell number?).  He just got a two year extension today from the board.  I would guess this is just the beginning of SEC trying to put pressure on the extended rights deal.  I would not hold your breath that this gets resolved, as Disney has bigger fish to fry.  I would expect this to be a 16month push by the SEC that get's amplified into talking points at every SEC game this year and into 24.   I could see SEC repeating another 1 year schedule for 25. 

Yes - if we can’t play OU sucks, Arky, and aggy every year, why did we even leave? I want the better teams that used to reside in the SEC-W, with the additional Tennessee, Georgia, or Florida sprinkled in, as icing on the cake. That would be a schedule for future season ticket holders.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Yes - if we can’t play OU sucks, Arky, and aggy every year, why did we even leave? I want the better teams that used to reside in the SEC-W, with the additional Tennessee, Georgia, or Florida sprinkled in, as icing on the cake. That would be a schedule for future season ticket holders.

Hook’em!!!

It'll still be a better schedule if we get a couple of SEC "helmet teams" from among Bama, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia (maybe Auburn?) every year. The rest ain't any better or more exciting than playing Tech, OSU, or TCU.

But, I was looking forward to beating aggy 3 outta 4 times again.

56 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Hook’em!!!

……plus, Saban only wants an 8-game conference schedule…..

at least right now…..as mentioned above…heat will be turned up for some sec schedule changes for 2025….

Edited by Cairn Horn88

On 7/1/2023 at 1:00 PM, Mikey4 said:

"Conference was great to be a part of for the short time we got to be a member with Slive. Great leadership, no sips, respect among member institutions."

Lol, no one ever respected them. They were admitted into the SEC because A&M would never pose any threat on the field and would pave the way for SEC teams to recruit in Texas. It was the ultimate disrespect.

Well, yeah…..

And as to “respect among member institutions”, all you need to do is go in that cesspool of the SEC Rant and see on any given day how your average SEC fan of any other SEC school than Aggy feels about A&M.

I mean, actually nobody has respect for A&M, save their ability to make us laugh at them. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

IMO - we’ll go to a 9 game conference schedule starting in 2025. ESPN and $$$ will dictate that. No more “off weeks” during November, scheduling an FCS school or shitty G5 teams that they’ve been accustomed to, as the rest of the nation plays a conference foe. How that’s been able to happen for over a decade is asinine!

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

This sucks

8-game conference schedule is fucking pussy-town

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Oh, the story keeps on getting better...

"A&M alums upset after McElroy’s departure; journalism program's status in flux"

https://theeagle.com/news/a_m/texas-am-journalism-program-in-flux/article_d99baffa-2101-11ee-ada2-3fceb13994e9.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Stewart’s concerns were if administrators didn’t like the leader brought in, they would stop supporting them and fund the resources needed to run the program and that they would be too willing to listen to “more animated” and “hostile” donors and political friends about the program, he said. Stewart added faculty members tried to put him at ease, saying he may have heard the drive to restart the journalism program was pushed by conservatives who wanted a program rooted in “Aggie values.”

Sounds like some aggy alums wanted their own little Fox News/Breitbart.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Sounds like some aggy alums wanted their own little Fox News/Breitbart.

Many believe the only reason mean ol tu has had the success they never had, was UT pumping journalism students out into the world to write nice articles.  Therefore, becoming media darlings, and leading to the BOMC, which apparently leads to MNCs.  That, and producing "bankers", instead of farmers and soldiers.    I wish this post was satire, but I've seen it hundreds of times on txaggy. 

Phil Bennett: Texas A&M Will Never Be a Blueblood | Conference Realignment | Transfer Portal
Kinda clickbaity title, Bennett just repeated what he was told from SEC insiders when aggy joined. However he did say "and it's true" and for aggy to have one of their own state the obvious it's gotta hurt lol. Texas may not be an "SEC Blueblood" per se, but both us and BlowU come into the conference with that tag in general. aggy never did and never will be.
  • Hook 'Em 2