Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. We haven't done anything to them specifically. In fact, we bent over backwards after their drunken bonfire fiasco to accommodate and they shit on that like the little brother they are. We are the bigger brother who exists and they hate it. Both are allowed to do their own thing and have their own successes. One did and the other didn't. And the one that didn't, despises them for that reason. Had aggy had any sort of success in their history, their disdain for us wouldn't be as much.

OU will always be much more of a rivalry than aggy ever will be. Beating OU means something. Beating aggy doesn't have the same effect. They are just the annoying little brother. Sure, it will be fun to beat them but we have bigger fish to fry. aggy is going to be circling that game every single year. If they go 1-11 but their lone win is UT, successful season for many of their gomer pyle fans.

Dead on. 

Years ago, when the question of who we wanted to win when OU played the Ags came up, I responded, “We want the Ags to win. The Ags take a big win, and then…do nothing with it. They’ll follow it up with a crazy stupid loss. OU, on the other hand, takes one win, and stacks another on top of it, and another, until they have made a season.”

• Like 1

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

On 4/16/2024 at 8:16 AM, TreatyOak said:

This actual quote was published in the 2000 Texas Monthly magazine story following the collapse of the bonfire: 

It is not the Aggie spirit to accept defeat. We do not wish to have these fine Aggies who have given their lives to have died in vain. AGGIE BONFIRE MUST CONTINUE AND DAMN THE TORPEDOES. . . . there must be a continuation of Aggie Bonfires, even if it doesn’t seem wise.”

An Aggie Dad

I'm guessing it wasn't one of Aggie Dad's sons who died. 

And aggy could win every football game starting the day after the collapse until the heat death of the universe, and they would still have died in vain. 

• Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

And aggy could win every football game starting the day after the collapse until the heat death of the universe, and they would still have died in vain. 

Yes, to clarify, that was an actual letter sent to the president of Texas A&M following the collapse. As if continuing that idiotic, destructive waste of time would somehow mean those 12 people who died (and the 27 injured, some losing limbs) didn't "die in vain." That inconsiderate moron can go fuck himself. Young people died for absolutely no good reason whatsoever and families were ruined.   

Ok, I know this is a dumb question.  And I know the answer is "because aggy"...  But what exactly is it, that they believe we have done *to them*?  Other than things in our own best interest, not specific to them, which all schools are (or should be) doing?
Haven't faded into irrelevance so aggy can take it's rightful place as the flagship University in the great state of Texas. That's it really, nothing more than good old fashioned jealousy. They honestly believe if they didn't have to compete with tee yew for top recruits they would have multiple football championships over the years. Lulz
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, statsman said:

Dead on. 

Years ago, when the question of who we wanted to win when OU played the Ags came up, I responded, “We want the Ags to win. The Ags take a big win, and then…do nothing with it. They’ll follow it up with a crazy stupid loss. OU, on the other hand, takes one win, and stacks another on top of it, and another, until they have made a season.”

Yep and even further, OU can take a loss from us and still win the Big 12 and get to where they want. Always count on aggy to trip up along the way to fall short. The few times they have beaten Bama in their SEC tenure, didn't even result in a SEC West representative in the SEC championship game. I believe Bama both times have went to the national championship, so the loss didn't phase them.

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep and even further, OU can take a loss from us and still win the Big 12 and get to where they want. Always count on aggy to trip up along the way to fall short. The few times they have beaten Bama in their SEC tenure, didn't even result in a SEC West representative in the SEC championship game. I believe Bama both times have went to the national championship, so the loss didn't phase them.

And this year, we lost to OU, and won the Big XII and made the CFP. 

It’s crazy- in ‘99 we were ranked high, had a real shot at a BCS game, and then the Ag game led to a three game losing streak. 
‘01: played the B12 CG with a win putting us in the BCS CG, against a Buffs team we crushed earlier, and blew it. 
‘02: Only had to beat TT to play for the B12. Blew it. 
‘04: Incredibly talented team shut out by OU. 
‘06: only had to beat one of KSU and TAMU to play for the B12 title. Blew it. 

It seemed like if we left the door the tiniest bit open, it would knocked over. 

I wonder if part of it was Mack, and his demeanor. He had terrific UNC teams before he came here that fell short of conference titles and Alliance Bowls. 

Maybe Sark is different. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, statsman said:

It’s crazy- in ‘99 we were ranked high, had a real shot at a BCS game, and then the Ag game led to a three game losing streak. 
‘01: played the B12 CG with a win putting us in the BCS CG, against a Buffs team we crushed earlier, and blew it. 

I wonder if part of it was Mack, and his demeanor. He had terrific UNC teams before he came here that fell short of conference titles and Alliance Bowls. 

Maybe Sark is different. 

Agreed. It's a shame we didn't have more success the whole 2000s. We had very talented teams under Mack but he could never beat OU for years. Even got shut out against OU with VY as QB (thanks Greg Davis). 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 could have easily resulted in Big 12 titles and national championship appearances. I do like our grit this year and didn't let the heartbreaking loss to a meh OU team get us down and we ran the table rest of the way and got our shot.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

I'm kinda with aggy on this.  Let's swap the aggy game to early October, SEPTEMBER

and move the Red River Shootout to Late November (and move the State Fair while we're at it).

FUCK NO!!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

It is not the Aggie spirit to accept defeat."

Why not?  They've had plenty of practice.

AGGIE BONFIRE MUST CONTINUE AND DAMN THE TORPEDOES. . . . there must be a continuation of Aggie Bonfires, even if it doesn’t seem wise.”

The darkest Aggie joke I've ever heard:

Q: How many Aggies does it take to build a Bonfire?

A: It depends. How many are you looking to get rid of?

I used to think that was too dark. But for assholes like this "Aggie Dad," it seems like a simple truth. I mean, I certainly sympathize with the families who needlessly lost loved ones for a fucking football game, but its the hidebound Aggie mentality that caused that loss that really needs to be burned to the ground.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

It is not the Aggie spirit to accept defeat."

Why not?  They've had plenty of practice.

AGGIE BONFIRE MUST CONTINUE AND DAMN THE TORPEDOES. . . . there must be a continuation of Aggie Bonfires, even if it doesn’t seem wise.”

The darkest Aggie joke I've ever heard:

I used to think that was too dark. But for assholes like this "Aggie Dad," it seems like a simple truth. I mean, I certainly sympathize with the families who needlessly lost loved ones for a fucking football game, but its the hidebound Aggie mentality that caused that loss that really needs to be burned to the ground.

Totally. Did they really think that spending all that time bonding over that stupid bonfire was making a difference in the world? 

He means "I'm going to say something stupid and untrue to trigger the Longhorn fans and generate more clicks/views".

I mean NOBODY roots for aggy outside of B/CS and greater Houston/SE Texas. That is their geographical sphere of influence. Their Fng brand doesn’t cross regional boundaries, unless a few aggy grads escaped.

Hook’em!!!

Dead on. 

#teammeteor

3 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

This makes my head hurt. Can someone explain what Finebaum means by this?

They got big SEC stickers on their cars, added some fake titles to their stadium wall, and got to bask in the glory of Alabama football. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

I mean NOBODY roots for aggy outside of B/CS and greater Houston/SE Texas. That is their geographical sphere of influence. Their Fng brand doesn’t cross regional boundaries, unless a few aggy grads escaped.

Hook’em!!!
More than a few escaped, and as I learned the last time I went to Europe...someone is allowing aggy to have passports
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Hook’em!!!

Josh Pate would like to have a word with you.

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Saban Vs. Jimbo. I will pick Saban to recover from a loss.

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d9662f31de24646701ec39f275377b7c.jpeg

You live in Dallas?  Who are these decent folks you speak of?   Everyone who lives in Dallas are just there for the money and not by choice right?  So they are all angry to a point.

Edited by Hook1997

In Austin, didn't even notice the Dallas dealer tag until you pointed it out.  I was just stuck behind this guy for several stoplights in a row on Bee Caves Road.  I don't like using my phone on the road, at all.  But I saw both logos, and I thought, "Oh, this fucking guy..."  I'm sure he's a wonderful fella but come on...OU and A&M at the same time.  Some sort of twisted gang-bang?  

5 hours ago, statsman said:

Maybe Sark is different. 

If Sark turns out Mack’s success, I’ll be fucking thrilled.

hell, I’m thrilled we went to the CCG, WON the CC, and played in the CFP.

amazing job by Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

I felt the same way on the dark jokes.  Not now.  If they bring it back all bets are off.  Aggy likes to have it both ways, "Do it for tradition, damn the people who died!"  and "That is horrible you making a joke about those 12 people who died!"

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Leanderman said:

"I'm kinda with aggy on this.  Let's swap the aggy game to early October, SEPTEMBER"

That is the month when they play the powerhouse like, Austin School for the Blind, and Alaska Tech among others, never gonna happen.

this would make the aggy roller coaster more of an aggy sine wave. 

• Drool 1

23 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. We haven't done anything to them specifically. In fact, we bent over backwards after their drunken bonfire fiasco to accommodate and they shit on that like the little brother they are. We are the bigger brother who exists and they hate it. Both are allowed to do their own thing and have their own successes. One did and the other didn't. And the one that didn't, despises them for that reason. Had aggy had any sort of success in their history, their disdain for us wouldn't be as much.

OU will always be much more of a rivalry than aggy ever will be. Beating OU means something. Beating aggy doesn't have the same effect. They are just the annoying little brother. Sure, it will be fun to beat them but we have bigger fish to fry. aggy is going to be circling that game every single year. If they go 1-11 but their lone win is UT, successful season for many of their gomer pyle fans.

Yep it's a bigger deal to beat OU, and it's a bigger deal to lose to A&M. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

image.png.eecccd4172b5294784030945bf8cc894.png

Few people ever give their lives. Soldiers knowingly risk their lives in very dangerous environments; some lose their lives. That's to be honored.

No person on that idiotically grandiose waste of tress thought they were risking life and limb. Not one of them spent a dying moment amid the horrible crush of colliding logs thinking, "at least this is part of a great cause."

A real engineer in their college advised against the way the logs were put together. There had been previous collapses. It was an exercise in denial and stupidity. Any future bonfire of that absurd size memorializes what is wrong with that place.

Stop lying about yourselves, your past, and the holy spirit of Aggieland. Just stop.

Fortunately, their decision to become a diploma mill will eventually see the ascendance of the 2%ers.

The Ascendance of the 2%ers

I'd go see that movie. But, is it a comedy or a tragedy?

they had to have the first game at home

just had to have it

i can hear talkiebird throwing a hissy fit about it

okay

in 25, it's the first league game of the season, in austin, at dkr, at night, and no permit to storm the capitol the night before

and we play every game in austin the same way

given the historical record, this means 2 of every 6 seasons for them will be over before the end of september and they won't be able to pivot to "next year" when they still have 8 games to play

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

just had to have it

okay

in 25, it's the first league game of the season, in austin, at dkr, at night, and no permit to storm the capitol the night before

and we play every game in austin the same way

given the historical record, this means 2 of every 6 seasons for them will be over before the end of september and they won't be able to pivot to "next year" when they still have 8 games to play

So lets just kick their ass in their Soviet era looking stadium.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

image.png.eecccd4172b5294784030945bf8cc894.png

their decision to become a diploma mill will eventually see the ascendance of the 2%ers.

I dont know man, I am thinking they may need to add on to the stadium in a few years when they hit 200,000 students.

748e2d6ad0d12d65dc1ccd9753e92b9c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

just had to have it

And that was after ensuring their exit from the Big 12 was after a season that we had to play them there. They wanted that to be the end of the series.

This cuts them to the core (or Corps):

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

And that was after ensuring their exit from the Big 12 was after a season that we had to play them there. They wanted that to be the end of the series.

This cuts them to the core (or Corps):

spacer.png

Need friendo gif of chinpubes too....

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I dont know man, I am thinking they may need to add on to the stadium in a few years when they hit 200,000 students.

748e2d6ad0d12d65dc1ccd9753e92b9c.jpeg

And the name of the sponsor of that crazy looking open expansion?  

You guessed it.

Hope Solo.  

54 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

The aggys need to re-read the reports on the bonfire collapse. I guarantee you no one read this report.

"Though its individual components are complex, the central message is clear. The
collapse was about physical failures driven by organizational failures, the origins
of which span decades of administrations, faculty, and students. No single factor
caused the collapse, just as no single change will ensure that a tragedy like this
never happens again."

https://csel.eng.ohio-state.edu/productions/pexis/readings/submod3/TAMUbonfire.pdf

image.gif.22df86a92ab5b0d85e4dab4efb389392.gif

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Shit, I knew it was good as soon as Tucker walked out on the field.

To be fair, that's pretty much everyone's attitude toward a Tucker FG "attempt".

Someone somewhere's got that little mp3 clip of South saying "It's a good one. They win." in probably the most resigned tone ever heard. I didn't hear it until the next day, of course...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

The aggys need to re-read the reports on the bonfire collapse. I guarantee you no one read this report.

"Though its individual components are complex, the central message is clear. The
collapse was about physical failures driven by organizational failures, the origins
of which span decades of administrations, faculty, and students. No single factor
caused the collapse, just as no single change will ensure that a tragedy like this
never happens again."

https://csel.eng.ohio-state.edu/productions/pexis/readings/submod3/TAMUbonfire.pdf

image.png.3c5f2913480fcd771d42c9c031b74039.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1