Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Opportunity is knocking. There is a vast market, untapped for the most part, of aggy believers who will spend perfectly good money for the stupidest shit imaginable, as long as it is maroon, has brass buttons, shoulder straps, an SEC patch, the number 12, and/or an "A", an "M" and an ampersand. Or all of these. It is helpful if it is able to sound "whoop!".

I'm thinking one of the first entries needs to be a wall clock that never runs out of time.

Let's go, y'all - what else have we got?

I think the obvious one is to make Texags a publicly-traded company.  Many people say that it's worth billions of dollars, one of the greatest companies the world has ever seen.  

• Like 1

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

One of my athletes is considering aggy.  I am doing my best to educate him and his dad on the disaster that decision would be.  First time in 17 years of coaching I've had someone heavily consider aggy.  He's T&F, 800/400 runner, so granted that skews his decision.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

One of my athletes is considering aggy.  I am doing my best to educate him and his dad on the disaster that decision would be.  First time in 17 years of coaching I've had someone heavily consider aggy.  He's T&F, 800/400 runner, so granted that skews his decision.

T&F is at least a respectable sport for them, but yeah, you are doing the Lord's work. 

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Editorial: Texas A&M should douse push to revive Bonfire tradition
By Express-News Editorial Board April 14, 2024

From 1909 to 1999, the building and burning of the Aggie Bonfire was synonymous with Texas A&M’s Thanksgiving-weekend rivalry football game with  the University of Texas.

Over the decades, it grew to a five-story stack with up to 8,000 logs, requiring more than 100,000 hours of work and drawing 70,000 fans to its big pregame ceremonies.

Aggie myth decreed that if the stack survived until midnight, the Aggies would beat the Longhorns the following day.

Only the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in November 1963 prevented Texas A&M from going forward with a Bonfire burning.

All that ended with the tragic November 1999 Bonfire collapse, which killed 12 students and seriously injured 27 others.

Even before 1999, however, there were internal debates within the Texas A&M community about whether the Aggie Bonfire tradition should continue.

Injuries were common among Bonfire crews. In 1981, student Wiley Joplin died at the cutting site after falling off a tractor and being crushed under its rear wheels. Joplin's student adviser responded by writing an anti-Bonfire poem, which was published by the student newspaper, the Battalion.

In addition to safety concerns, there  also were environmental objections. In the early 1990s, a group called Aggies Against Bonfire complained about the thousands of trees being killed every year for the purpose of preserving a questionable tradition.

Some warned that if  embers got loose, the fire could spread to nearby residential areas. And those who remembered that Texas A&M is a  place of education pointed out that all those  Bonfire work hours took students away from   class  and did their grades no favors.

But tradition is at the core of Texas A&M’s identity and many Aggies insist on reviving the Bonfire tradition.   

Every year, a small group of students builds an unsanctioned bonfire off campus. Now, with A&M on the verge of renewing its football rivalry with the University of Texas, the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents is considering the return of the Bonfire as an official university event.

That would be a mistake. The environmental damage and safety risks connected with the Bonfire are good enough reasons for Texas A&M to leave this tradition in the past and focus on creating new traditions.

We understand the meaning that the Bonfire carries for some former students.  The late Texas A&M historian Henry Dethloff once said that for graduates and students, Bonfire was “the centerpiece of their affection for A&M.”

There has been some suggestion that if Bonfire returns as a university-sanctioned event, a professional construction company could be hired to build it.

That wouldn’t address the environmental impact of the event, and it wouldn’t satisfy traditionalists who believe that the essence of the Aggie Bonfire is that it is a student project.  

One Bonfire crew member put it this way in 1981: “I can’t play football because I’m too small, but I can be out there busting my butt cutting wood while the team is practicing and help them win.”

Aggie traditionalists have fought change many times over the years, whether that meant forsaking the school’s compulsory military requirement, allowing women to enroll or enabling women to join the   Aggie band.

In each case, Texas A&M emerged better for the change.

This past generation of Aggie students have grown accustomed to the idea that Bonfire is no longer an official university event. Texas A&M should leave this tradition in the past.    
April 14, 2024
By Express-News Editorial Board

• Hook 'Em 4

56 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

A good friend of my son's is a middle distance guy for UT.  Are we that far behind A&M that we're not an option?  Look at indoor, that appears to be the case.  Same for outdoor?

Edited by jimmyjazz

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

A good friend of my son's is a middle distance guy for UT.  Are we that far behind A&M that we're not an option?  Look at indoor, that appears to be the case.  Same for outdoor?

According to the wikis, we had guys take 2nd and 9th in the 800 at the NCAA outdoors last year.

Neither team placed a guy in the 400.

Advantage A&M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_NCAA_Division_I_Outdoor_Track_and_Field_Championships

There's a good chance that we're gonna witness an incredible NewArmy-OldArmy schism over this.

It's like New Army just doesn't understand that there is no more glorious way to die than crushed under tons of logs that fell because of engineering malfeasance, abdication of oversight, and gin you wine Old Army incompetence.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 4/15/2024 at 11:41 AM, closetojumping said:

Carter Karels continues to attempt subtle messages to his aggie readers that their roster is dogshit

But if a stellar 1,000-yard rusher suddenly became available, A&M would be foolish to pass on him.

How big of a need: Low.

Analysis: Do not be surprised if the Aggies add an offensive tackle transfer during the spring window. From what we have heard, they will be looking.

Should a quality center enter the portal, though, A&M might be interested.

All four A&M running backs bring experience and have proven themselves to be at least serviceable.

Like their running back unit, the Aggies have a solid group of receivers but might lack a true No. 1 option.

The Aggie tight end group, like their running back and receiver units, lacks a player with proven elite production.

UhCE70i3CQPfewVxlD.webp

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

image.png.0e38b060d1321c6028af51fe90797915.png

Yeah, the biggest brand in college sports . . .

"Nobody ever goes there any more, it's too crowded."

Good place for Finebaum's article.  The headline is misleading for whatever reason.  Should be "STFU Aggies."

Paul Finebaum explains how the SEC completely screwed Texas A&M

Story by John Buhler

1d  

The SEC is expanding to 16 teams this summer with the additions of Oklahoma and Texas from the Big 12. The last time the SEC expanded to 14 teams, it poached two other schools from the Big 12 in Missouri and Texas A&M. Back in 2014, it was all about acquiring media rights territories. Gaining major cities like Houston, Kansas City and St. Louis were incredibly important to the SEC at the time.

Flash forward a decade later, and here we are. Texas and Oklahoma are undeniably massive brands in college football. While the SEC did not have a program from The Sooner State in its league, A&M had sufficed that from The Lone Star State. Although A&M has a massive little brother complex, it is Texas after all. Then again, Texas A&M may have felt they were promised something to come aboard initially.

Here is what ESPN's Paul Finebaum had to say on "The SEC Podcast" about Texas A&M's "plight".

“They felt that they had been promised Texas would never come in and they were promised Texas would never come in, but things change. It’s A&M’s fault. A&M was so successful in the SEC that Texas said, ‘We want some of that!’ Texas in 2010 was heading to the Pac-12, they had already commandeered a bunch of schools because they wanted to be more in line with the Pac-12 academics, the Stanfords, the Cals, which are now in the ACC."

Texas may have wanted to go somewhere more academic in nature, but football drives the bus...

“They finally realized that we need to do something. Texas could’ve gone to the Big Ten, ACC, all this nonsense that we heard. The SEC did nothing but answer the same phone call that everybody else got. The were on the prowl to leave and were going to go somewhere.”

Texas A&M may feel marginalized with the addition of Texas, but trust me, this is better for everyone.

Texas A&M may feel slighted that SEC decided to add Texas into league

For as much as this may stink for Texas A&M, Gig Em Nation needs to get over it. Texas is coming into their league, whether they like it or not. In the latest wave of conference realignment, the Big Ten and SEC are operating at a level of strength. While the new Big 12 may come out of this okay, everybody's eyes are on the ACC, hoping it is not the next league to collapse like the Pac-12 did after last season.

What you have to remember is that while Texas A&M has a massive fan base, its brand is nowhere near as strong nationally as is Texas'. If an opportunity presents itself for a top-10 brand to come to market, you better believe any conference with a pulse will try to acquire it. The next wave of realignment may be triggered by North Carolina, but Florida State and Clemson are soon to follow.

See, I suspect that for as much as Florida and South Carolina may not like seeing their in-state rivals from the ACC come and join their league, I think they get the bigger picture. The Sunshine Showdown and The Palmetto Bowl being conference games only add to the game's appeal and overall marketability. The Lone Star Showdown between Texas A&M and Texas ended for pettier reasons.

While the SEC made a promise it couldn't keep, Texas A&M still took the money and benefited from it.

This article was originally published on fansided.com as Paul Finebaum explains how the SEC completely screwed Texas A&M.

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I really wasnt that big on going to the sec. I’m coming around to it though. Especially because it annoys the aggy fucksticks so much.

Definitely not a fan of the SEC either.

I always wanted us to join the PAC, but sports is so low on the totem pole of things to watch in person and on TV that it is a hard sell. 

The B1G would have been a better academic fit, but the travel would have been hellacious on the kids & fans.

The SEC ultimately made the most sense if football was going to be 95% of the influence on conference selection.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chopper said:

One Bonfire crew member put it this way in 1981: “I can’t play football because I’m too small, but I can be out there busting my butt cutting wood while the team is practicing and help them win.”

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I didn't live in Texas at the time, so I've been reading about the bonfire tragedy this week due to all the posts here. I can honestly say that the bonfire event and the subsequent tragedy is the most stupid, pointless and Aggy thing of all time. I have to revisit the quote from one of the participants. The criminal negligence and lack of adult-level decision making of this event is astounding. How did the school get off so easy? 

“I believe this is a tragedy that no amount of foresight or no amount of prevention or no amount of anything could have stopped, prevented or even told us what was coming."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

On the contrary.  UT's standards for scholarship/walk-on/tryout for the 800m for men are faster than aggy.  If he can improve this season, I'll be pushing UT as well as my alma matter.

Edited by BlueGreySky

11 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

GLUnXAeWcAA18xr.jpg

Ok, I know this is a dumb question.  And I know the answer is "because aggy"...  But what exactly is it, that they believe we have done *to them*?  Other than things in our own best interest, not specific to them, which all schools are (or should be) doing?

4 minutes ago, morehornsepower said:

Ok, I know this is a dumb question.  And I know the answer is "because aggy"...  But what exactly is it, that they believe we have done *to them*?  Other than things in our own best interest, not specific to them, which all schools are (or should be) doing?

It would be interesting to poll A&M fans, UT fans and those who don't have a dog in the hunt and see what the predominant answers are.  And then sort that according to each of those groups.  It 

I would guess aggy would say:

Arrogance, lack of respect (the meanies thing Deej brought up)

UT pays off officials for unfair advantages.

BOMC machine, including LHN

Unequal distribution of PUF

Stockpiling talent in the DKR years

Unfair recruiting in general.

But it would be entertaining to see what the different groups thought were the base of the hatred or inferiority.  

Maybe do a similar one for why UT disdains everything aggy.  

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. We haven't done anything to them specifically. In fact, we bent over backwards after their drunken bonfire fiasco to accommodate and they shit on that like the little brother they are. We are the bigger brother who exists and they hate it. Both are allowed to do their own thing and have their own successes. One did and the other didn't. And the one that didn't, despises them for that reason. Had aggy had any sort of success in their history, their disdain for us wouldn't be as much.

OU will always be much more of a rivalry than aggy ever will be. Beating OU means something. Beating aggy doesn't have the same effect. They are just the annoying little brother. Sure, it will be fun to beat them but we have bigger fish to fry. aggy is going to be circling that game every single year. If they go 1-11 but their lone win is UT, successful season for many of their gomer pyle fans.

I'm kinda with aggy on this.  Let's swap the aggy game to early October, and move the Red River Shootout to Late November (and move the State Fair while we're at it).  I think that's a MUCH better end of season game to look forward to, rather than a bunch of fake army gloryhole goons.