2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

1 hour ago, Gidnik said:

i agree with everything you said. hes not sticking it to tcu or sabotaging anyone, i just think that after the last 21 years there was 1 place that he hated above all others and it was no secret to anyone that it  was The University of Texas.  

Meh.  Hated or was envious of?  I imagine most coaches hate Texas because there are obvious built in advantages and folks like Patterson have to work that much harder to overcome them.  Either way, this is a good thing for us on paper.  What could go wrong?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

@SydneyCarton I know you have fisterman on ignore, so just incase you want to defend your honor

I saw when the other guy quoted him. It’s not worth the response. I saw him and his crusty old date/wife/whatever when he did a drive by at a surly tailgate before a football game this year. That guy making fun of anyone else for any reason is a hilarious fucking concept. Carry on.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

Despite the name, it started in Nashville in 1976 (the founders were from Texas). Ironically it no longer exists there or in Houston under that name. The Kirby location is now Hillstone, which operates restaurants under many names, including Houstons. Weird. I've heard conflicting stories about J Alexanders, which seems like a clone, regarding who borrowed from whom.

Bottom line is that I've always been a fan. Yes, very good burger, but that Hawaiian Ribeye is what brings me back.

Yes, it all makes sense now.

The Office Thank You GIF

The “Houston’s” that used to be on HillCrest in the Park Cities (shout out to @hpslugga ✊🏻👋🏻🤘🏻) is now “Hillstone”…
shooting star GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I saw when the other guy quoted him. It’s not worth the response. I saw him and his crusty old date/wife/whatever when he did a drive by at a surly tailgate before a football game this year. That guy making fun of anyone else for any reason is a hilarious fucking concept. Carey on.

never been to a surly tailgate. but whoever did that is genius. 

Edited by futureman

20 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

Despite the name, it started in Nashville in 1976 (the founders were from Texas). Ironically it no longer exists there or in Houston under that name. The Kirby location is now Hillstone, which operates restaurants under many names, including Houstons. Weird. I've heard conflicting stories about J Alexanders, which seems like a clone, regarding who borrowed from whom.

Bottom line is that I've always been a fan. Yes, very good burger, but that Hawaiian Ribeye is what brings me back.

Hell yes.  That Hawaiian Ribeye was the tits!

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Just curious, is there a requirement for how long that job posting has to be up before we hire GP? Wonder if we get another not-coincidentally timed leak right before or at halftime of the NCG tonight

Think the listing said the 16th is the earliest start date. 

22 minutes ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

Hell yes.  That Hawaiian Ribeye was the tits!

The story I heard was that Tim Bartlett and the owner of Houston's were gay and that when they broke up, Tim Bartlett created Bartlett's off Anderson Lane.

Tim Bartlett 

Tim originally hailed from a little town in west Texas called Anson. While in college, he began working in the restaurant business. He was part of the opening team for the first Houston's in 1977, and spent the next 13 years growing the company. In 1990 he came to Austin and took ownership of the store here and as they say, the rest is history.  In 2010, Tim decided it was time to become truly independent. So the name was changed to Bartlett's. Since then, we have embraced the independence and it has allowed us the freedom to continue to grow and mature as a local eatery.

37 minutes ago, Bevo said:
The story I heard was that Tim Bartlett and the owner of Houston's were gay and that when they broke up, Tim Bartlett created Bartlett's off Anderson Lane.

Tim Bartlett 

Tim originally hailed from a little town in west Texas called Anson. While in college, he began working in the restaurant business. He was part of the opening team for the first Houston's in 1977, and spent the next 13 years growing the company. In 1990 he came to Austin and took ownership of the store here and as they say, the rest is history.  In 2010, Tim decided it was time to become truly independent. So the name was changed to Bartlett's. Since then, we have embraced the independence and it has allowed us the freedom to continue to grow and mature as a local eatery.

Houston's had a number of franchises that were independently owned, and some locations that were owned by corporate. They decided that they'd rather not have any non-corporate owned franchises, so when the contract ran out, the one in Austin was forced to change its name. They continue to use the same menu and food suppliers. 

Now, every location with the Houston's branding is corporate owned, and the franchised locations either shut down or changed names.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATXbronco said:

Can I get odds on Oregon landing the number 1 recruiting class in the country next year? Between Lanning, the former Georgia /A&M bagman, Tosh and Phil Knight... it's going to be raining thumb drives in Eugene.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Can I get odds on Oregon landing the number 1 recruiting class in the country next year? Between Lanning, the former Georgia /A&M bagman, Tosh and Phil Knight... it's going to be raining thumb drives in Eugene.

I think USC is going to be back. If Oregon has to compete with USC for California recruits, it hurts their chances for a number 1 class.

1 hour ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

I want to say they are owned by a restaurant group.  Maybe Hillstone?  Not a ton of stores but that one on Westheimer used to be one of my favs.  Real old school atmosphere.  Dress code.  Low lighting.  Private tables.  Music low.  Old school steakhouse vibe.

Hillstone owns the Houston's (or what was Houston's) on Kirby.

Hillstone is a quality outfit.  White House Tavern in Aspen is a Hillstone restaurant.  Best fried chicken breast sandwich I've ever had.  It's dumb expensive (Aspen), but it's huge and can feed three people.

So everyone keeps bitching about making changes on the Defensive staff, who are you getting rid of? PK ain’t getting fired, so which position coach are we looking at getting rid of?

I say this because unless there is another major move (Harbs to LV or Day to Chicago) most staffs from which poaching a coach from on D would be a major improvement are pretty much set.

5 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

You must not have had Jax. Or Killen's Burger.

I've have not had Jax, I will try them.   Killens, yeah multiple times,...  ehh, they are alright.  I think his bbq is seriously overrated also, but damn that cream corn side dish is killer.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, PsychMike said:

2 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

Yes, it all makes sense now.

The Office Thank You GIF

The “Houston’s” that used to be on HillCrest in the Park Cities (shout out to @hpslugga ✊🏻👋🏻🤘🏻) is now “Hillstone”…
shooting star GIF

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Houston's had a number of franchises that were independently owned, and some locations that were owned by corporate. They decided that they'd rather not have any non-corporate owned franchises, so when the contract ran out, the one in Austin was forced to change its name. They continue to use the same menu and food suppliers. 

Now, every location with the Houston's branding is corporate owned, and the franchised locations either shut down or changed names.

57 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Hillstone owns the Houston's (or what was Houston's) on Kirby.

Hillstone is a quality outfit.  White House Tavern in Aspen is a Hillstone restaurant.  Best fried chicken breast sandwich I've ever had.  It's dumb expensive (Aspen), but it's huge and can feed three people.

My theory with the variety of names for HOUSTON’s and the slight tweaks to the menu is that:

When you have fewer than X number of locations, you don’t have to reveal the calorie content for items on your menu.

Houston’s food is good, but everything on that menu is deep fried, dripping with oil, and/or infused with sugar. There is no way they wanted to put a calorie number on their menu. 

My parents live fairly close to the HILLSTONE on Preston just south of NWHY, but would occasionally go to the Addison HOUSTON’S because it had a BBQ Baked Beans side that was filled with brown sugar and had enough meat in it to be called a “Chili with an assload of beans”. This item was removed from the Preston Road location when they changed their name. 

Little tweaks like that is what makes HOUSTON’S & HILLSTONE “different restaurant concepts”.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think it’s slim. Not enough top end recruits out west to get that high and many are sold on SECSECSEC.  I could see a top 5 class if the money is flowing.

53 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So everyone keeps bitching about making changes on the Defensive staff, who are you getting rid of? PK ain’t getting fired, so which position coach are we looking at getting rid of?

I say this because unless there is another major move (Harbs to LV or Day to Chicago) most staffs from which poaching a coach from on D would be a major improvement are pretty much set.

At the very least I would hope that Joseph gets cashiered.  The only untouchable on the defensive staff should be Bo Davis.

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

1.  Asking people to explain who they want replaced and then stipulating that they can’t name PK kind of rigs the deck in your favor, don’t you think?  PK is who I wanted replaced.  Then, the other dominoes could have fallen however the new DC wanted.  As others said, Bo Davis is the only defensive coach with a real stud resume as a coach and recruiter - and also the only guy who was closing big targets in recruiting this year before the perfect storm of NIL and other schools changing coaches bailed us out.  I’m not sure why anyone would feel too attached to any other defensive coach based on what we just witnessed this past year.

2.  Putting aside PK, Choate is the obvious position coach to put on the hot seat.  Our LB play was horrible, his personnel choices were questionable, he’s already whiffed on portal evaluations from last year, his recruiting is suspect, and his network is all in mountain west states that produce no talent.   That’s an easy upgrade with virtually anyone who can recruit Dallas or Houston.

Choate and Gideon are my two.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

2.  Putting aside PK, Choate is the obvious position coach to put on the hot seat.  Our LB play was horrible, his personnel choices were questionable, he’s already whiffed on portal evaluations from last year, his recruiting is suspect, and his network is all in mountain west states that produce no talent.   That’s an easy upgrade with virtually anyone who can recruit Dallas or Houston.

I'm surprised it hasn't already happened. PK can coach linebackers but isn't much of a recruiter. Choate seems like he is a poor recruiter and whether talent or coaching, his position group sucked. Davis already has a full plate recruiting both DE and DL and the DB coaches were lucky to close as well as they did. There isn't anyone who can cover for Choate. The offense was decent this year and Sark saw a need to improve coaching and recruiting. The defense absolutely sucked and we have made no changes other than to bring in a consultant.

1.  Asking people to explain who they want replaced and then stipulating that they can’t name PK kind of rigs the deck in your favor, don’t you think?  PK is who I wanted replaced.  Then, the other dominoes could have fallen however the new DC wanted.  As others said, Bo Davis is the only defensive coach with a real stud resume as a coach and recruiter - and also the only guy who was closing big targets in recruiting this year before the perfect storm of NIL and other schools changing coaches bailed us out.  I’m not sure why anyone would feel too attached to any other defensive coach based on what we just witnessed this past year.
While I don't give Choate a pass on LB play...he is an ex HC, and one that wasnt fired from his job.

10 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

While I don't give Choate a pass on LB play...he is an ex HC, and one that wasnt fired from his job.

Just do not think he is a P5 caliber coach

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

That is how you land a Manning

Speaking of Manning, I was wondering where he ended up and how he was doing. Here you go. He played for Nebraska after Juco. 

https://huskers.com/sports/football/roster/omar-manning/43831

Omar Manning played in 11 games with seven starts in 2021. He ranked third on the team with 25 catches for 380 yards and tied for second on the team with two receiving touchdowns.

6 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Would love to see Okam back here as an analyst this year. 

He's who I'd hire if Bo Davis ever gets poached. I don't think he'll have a problem finding a good on-the-field coaching role, but obviously if he's willing to come here as an analyst, you take him. Very promising coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1